Essay on New DMG 1st Print
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:26 pm 

RWilson wrote: Just a quick thing, though, that I can't find mentioned in any of the descriptions or threads, I see there is different artwork on pages 40 and 119, a picture of some kind of minotaur statue(instead of the later Erol Otus lich vs. wizard zap-off) and a bunch of potions by DCSIII, respectively.

Hi. The illustration info is in the Acaeum, but it's fairly well hidden, and IMHO should be displayed more prominently on the main DMG page. Not surprised you didn't see it. I only came across it when it was first posted as a site update.

To see it, go to Home->Rulebooks->DMG->6th print->Errata article

The page with the Errata describes all of the revisions. At the top of the page it mentions Oleck->Otus art change on pg 40. And under the page by page revisions, it lists an artwork change on pgs 40 and 119.

Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:53 pm 

Hey folks hopefully this is the best thread for this:  I have a DMG with out the “D” running off the cover but fits all other criteria…red and yellow stitching…orange flyleafs…textblock stitched 5/8ths apart. No ISBN.  As Mr. Stormberg notes~ The word "ADVANCED" is 2" long and the "ADVANCED D&D" is 5/8" tall (and matches 1st print size).

Am I safe to declare this is a first print?

Thanks!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:41 pm 

Its a good looking copy. I have always went by the "D" falling off the edge, though those can be to varying degrees. I am sure you will get a better response than mine. Again, still a nice copy.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 6:28 pm 

Malygris wrote in Essay on New DMG 1st Print:Hey folks hopefully this is the best thread for this:  I have a DMG with out the “D” running off the cover but fits all other criteria…red and yellow stitching…orange flyleafs…textblock stitched 5/8ths apart. No ISBN.  As Mr. Stormberg notes~ The word "ADVANCED" is 2" long and the "ADVANCED D&D" is 5/8" tall (and matches 1st print size).

Am I safe to declare this is a first print?

Thanks!

Interesting.  It sure looks like it, with the exception of the front cover "Advanced" not running off the cover, which it almost always does.

The cover offset appears to have been adjusted/corrected at some point, since everything is shifted down and right.  This is also evident at the bottom where the address and number are almost off the cover.

Can you provide pics of the spine and back cover too?

Very nice copy!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:39 pm 

Very nice.  Looks like it was purchased and placed into a box for 40 something years...

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:37 pm 

I think this surely looks like a first print.  Good find.  Interesting to finally see one without the "Advanced" lettering running over the cover fold.  Nice.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:57 pm 

Very nice copy of a 1st print!
I had a similar one where the "D" was not out of the cover like yours... a great fellow here thaught me that a second way to visually detect a first print is to look at the logo on the cover: if the foot of the magician falls behind the logo, then that it is a first print! ...and so  I did from that time onwards! ...and so I am sure that it is a 1st print!
Ciaoo

Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:19 pm 

Thanks everybody for the feedback!  DBartman heres pic’s of the spine and back cover plus one of a 1st print with the “D” running off the cover for comparison.  I measured and the font is the same size.
-R

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:45 pm 

Thanks.  You have a really nice copy there.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:36 pm 

The top one's ribbon looks wider. Top one being....the one on top of the other :).
They couldn't have squeezed the words in without changing the font/banner/spacing or shifting the whole thing to the left. It looks like they did that; the D&D on the bottom one is closer to the upper right banner end, which makes sense. Without other pics, it looks like they widened the banner and shifted the printing to the lower left a bit.
Is it me or are the fonts bigger in the top one? The ribbon definitely looks wider so it would accomodate them. If that was the case, wouldn't that require them to redo the printing thingies? If so, wouldn't the top one be a "later" 1st edition printing?
I'm not much of an artist, I have trouble drawing stick figures. My only slight talent is picking out minute details............... I guess that makes me an art critic?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:51 pm 

I think they are the same.  The top book is closer to the camera.  That could explain why it looks larger.  It looks like the entire cover was just shifted down, once the printer realized that they were too high on the underlying boards.  I thought it might have been shifted to the right a bit too, but upon looking at it again, perhaps not.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:36 pm 

I’m new to the thread and this was so interesting to read
Thanks for putting it here
Blaine

Previous