What members like most about collecting and gaming!
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:44 pm 

As apposed to some other very attitude drivin post lately, I would like to start a thread here about the things we like about collecting and gaming.

For me its like most of you, to re-live the magic D&D and AD&D has created in my life.  I have a very stressful,  fast paced career and this type of collecting and gaming makes me relaxed and happy.

Why do you people do this?

Can't be for the money!! :D  :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:00 am 

Well it sure isn't the money as you said.  Well then again Ok it is money thatkeeps me going. But DARN little of it.

I enjoy the buying and reselling. I just like to see the stuff. I grew up in a house that was VERY shall we say limited on the finances. Which as we all know was not the type home to live in if you wanted as much as we all did in the 80's for our gamming items.

So I had very limited items. A basic set, an Expert set, a DMG, MM and PH with a coupel modules. That was my whole collection I had gathered from the time I was in Jr. High to the end of Highschool.

Then I got to the Military and ended up with a collection of all the HC books and a large assortment of modules. These becuase a guy who I gamed with was our DM and he was going to Japan so he gave EVERYTHING he owned to me and said Don't worry I got a spare set of it all at home.

So since over the time I either got rid or traded out or sold most of it all. By reselling items I get to actually hold and see the things I only dreamed of as a youth. I never dreamed of olding some of the things I have gotten too.

I know a good number here ouwld laugh, but Hey I am like a kid at christmas when I get a box of stuff. Like the time I opened a wilderness Survival guide and found aWild Things in it I was blown away.  Getting my hands on a Near Mint GDQ was pretty awsome.

As I said before my most prized though is my 1st print Eldritch and Blackmoor that I have. My dream is a wood box of originals and an original of the rest of the supplement books. When I get that I may try to actually get other stuff too.

I do try to get stuff in PDF form just so I have it to game with.  I also always wanted an Undermountain Boxed set when they came out and could nto afford them. So I have boxed set one and boxed set two that are under my bed where no damage can come to them, and I can occasionaly take em out. I am fortunate enough to have kids who enjoy playing and a wife who will join in too.

There is my reasons It the enjoyment of seeing and holding even if briefly the items I only dreamed of when I was younger.

Bruce Thibodeau

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:20 am 

My enjoyment:

50 percent — pure nostalgia
20 percent — research and discovering new items (or new facts about items I thought I knew everything about)
20 percent — satisfying my "completionist" nature
9 percent — following up on leads from the forum and buying stuff I don't really need (as in the above post, I didn't have large $$ as a child; I'm probably overcompensating now)
1 percent — baiting Maxwell

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:45 am 

oo this is a good thread!
well i have always had an imagination that is perfect for D&D, so once i got wind of it way back when, i was utterly hooked and its been a part of my life ever since then. have never collected in a major way but from time to time have had some VERY nice items. after all, everyone has their preferences and what is nice and perfect for me doesnt mean it is for someone else etc...

when i got divorced 4 years back i sold everything i had. not through wanting to - i had no other choice....it was a very sad day and really, like part of me dying. i turned my back on D&D really, cos i loved to play but never really had the chance anymore due to not knowing anyone that way inclined etc...

now.... my girlfriend loves the game, my oldest daughter thinks its fantastic and my youngest daughter likes it but doesnt understand it yet, so a budding player to come. between them, it fired me into gear again, so i bought what i would need to play again...YAY!!!

i dont need the money really...have a good job and i get along ok, but the items will always be dear to my heart, especially judges guild stuff and old D&D and AD&D 1st.....so i buy some stuff and sell it on, and keep the odd item which is something i really want.

plus along the way, you meet some great folks, such as mbassoc2003 and b_stedman - cracking guys and a pleasure to know them....

and somehow, life just seems that little bit brighter once again :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:48 am 

For me it's almost pure nostalgia.  I collect many different game systems because I like to see how different game creators handle similar situations.  I guess I just like game mechanics.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:04 am 

Collecting things is like an addiction. . . I can always feel the "buzz" in my brain driving me to seek out and acquire new things.  It gets me in my car and causes me to wander through used book stores and far away comic shops.  It tells me to organize and bag and sort and alpha-numerically arrange my collections. . . it makes me grade and code and price my items and create elaborate excel spreadsheets that contain all my information.

It makes me have everything just so. . . if forces me to have every comic bag & board just right - perfectly tight and form fitting. . . but not overly tight. . .

It makes me arrange. . . and rearrange my bookshelves and organize my collection of literature by era and book size and book color and the lettering on the binding until it appears just right (to my eye).

Since the time I was a child I have collected. . .

Bottle Caps, Beer bottles, golf balls, baseball cards, Star Wars cards, Scratch 'n Sniffs, Rock Group Pins, Stamps, little football helmets (the kind that used to come in the 25 cent machine), miniature baseball pennants, rocks, fossils, Star Wars figures, coins. . .

Currently, I have it down to some nice, organzined ones:  Comics Books, Out of print Hardcover literature classics and RPG items.

8)

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:08 am 

As I have no interest whatsoever in games and miniatures of the last 20 years (with the exception of the Ral Partha AD&D figures that were produced in the early 1990s), nostalgia is certainly a large part of why I continue to collect and game, since nearly all of what I own and seek currently is from the initial decade that I began the hobby, i.e., 1978-1988.

I stopped playing and collecting completely in the late 1980s, and abandoned everything I owned, or sold or gave it away. But I did look back: I discovered eBay in the year 2000 and, having a decent income at the time, I was able to buy back 'parts' of my teen and pre-teen years, as well as buy those items I always wanted but couldn't afford at the time. The memories came flooding back of those years and my time with the hobby, and my mind was once again whirling with the fantastical imagination I possessed when I was younger -- an attribute that was always there but had lay dormant for so many years.

As a GM my game sessions are far better today than they ever were; my miniature collection is a hundred times larger and far better painted; and my time is -- strangely enough -- just about as flexible as was when I was younger. I completely dismissed and forgot the joy I received from being involved in this hobby.

As adults we all of us have that imaginative child in us who still wants to play with toys and games, to live in that fantasy world, to harken back to a different time in our lives when life was simpler and more magical. RPGing and miniature collecting justifies that desire.

But I think what it really comes down to is imagination. RPGing and miniature collecting/painting puts our cerebral senses to work, making life more enjoyable. Wasn't it J.R.R. Tolkien or C.S. Lewis who said that fantasy is far more important for adults than it is for children? Human beings are physical creatures, but the physical world cannot match those worlds we have in our mind; and our minds are what we largely live in.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:34 am 

My motivation is my urge to know everything about a certain setting I really like. I then go and try to get everything written about this setting so I finally have a complete understanding of it. It is also nice to see how campaign settings have evolved over time with every new book that was released. Oh, and I hate pdf files when it comes to reading books so that is no option for me. Sure it would be easy and cheap to buy everything as pdf but I still prefer to sit down on my couch with a glass of whiskey and read through a real book or booklet. So I do not collect just for the sake of it but to gain more knowledge of something.  If I would not plan to read it I never would consider buying it. That's also quite handy because I will not spend too much money on expensive things. Up to now I have been a pure buyer and no item has yet left my collection through reselling on ebay or another service. Perhaps that will change over time but I dont think so.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:52 am 

Why and what do I collect?

Completionist - it's nice to have a full set of something, whatever it might be.
Nostalgia - I miss stuff I used to have in the past, that in many cases I'll buy it again if I happen across it.
Resources - having a large number of resources at hand should enable me to create a better end-product - in this case an adventure for my players.
Usage - they're nice to have, as they're nice/satisfying to use

What else do I collect?
Books - (esp Tolkien)
Records/CDs - 80s rock
and Tools - eg I think I have a dozen different hammers!

Again Completionist and Nostalgia apply to books & records, and Resources to tools, and Usage to all.
I'm not an all-formats or all-editions collector (unless there is some marked difference between editions), and I'm not too bothered about condition - if something acquires wear and tear through use, then that's a good thing - it means I've been using it.

I DM one 1st game, play in another, and play in a 3rd ed (for which I possess no books). I'm playing more D&D now than I ever have in the past 24 years.

And as regards the Christmas thing - yup - opening a package of D&D stuff, books, records or tools - there's a buzz to it.

I think that's a pretty good answer, even if I say so myself.

Yours in a materialistic sort of way,
BJS

PS - I'm starting to amass a greater number of miniatures, as I fancy a bit of warhammer.

PPS - I also have a small collection of Myth & Magic figures - about 20 - it doesn't have the same feel to it, as it's simply a case of pouring money into them - the more your spend, the more you have - I know there are 2nd hand and rare items out there, but it's still a simple case of money -> collection. They just sit in a display cabinet, doing nothing except impressing visitors. I can't read them. I can't use them. I can't listen to them. I can't play with them (they're a bit big for warhammer :-)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:05 am 

For me it's probably an OCD thing.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:28 am 

Traveller wrote:For me it's almost pure nostalgia.  I collect many different game systems because I like to see how different game creators handle similar situations.  I guess I just like game mechanics.

For me it's the babes.  Yeh, the chicks, and the respect I get strolling down the street twirling my dice bag and watching the straights get out of the way.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:33 am 

I am similar to a few people on here that I collect several things other than D&D.  I have been collecting comic books for over 20 years and dont plan on stopping any time soon.  But I don't just collect for the money or because I must have more than anyone else.   Comic books for me are wonderful entertainment.  I read all the comics that I buy.  I do bag, board, and box them so they are taken care of.  When I find a comic that I have been looking for it is almost like I am a treasure hunter that has just found the holy grail.

Collecting D&D and other RPG's is more of an afterthought.  I started playing around 1980 and played sparingly through college.  I picked up most of the hardbacks and a few modules and accessories here and there in the 80's and 90's but stopped picking up most anything after the advent of second edition.

Once I discovered the wonderful world of Ebay in 1999, I started picking up the things that I wanted in the past but either couldnt find or afford.  Not only did I start collecting D&D again but also have acquired a lot of other RPG's that I dabbled with in the past such as Shadowrun, Star Frontiers, Torg, and Vampire.  I also have a decent size collection of vintage video games like Atari 2600, 5200, Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Sega Genesis.

I just love having all the neat stuff that I had or wanted as a kid.  I am running out of room for all of it so I have to upgrade my living arrangements.  :D  My girlfriend doesnt mind that I do all this but she doesn't understand it either and thinks that I am a packrat.   I am working on converting her though.  She loves forensic science and watches all the shows like CSI, Law and Order, and the stuff on Court TV and have started her reading the CSI comic and a couple of others that fit the genre.  Maybe someday I can get her to sit down with me and a couple of other people and take a romp through Keep on the Borderlands.  I won't hold my breath though.  :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:03 pm 

Badmike wrote:
Traveller wrote:For me it's almost pure nostalgia.  I collect many different game systems because I like to see how different game creators handle similar situations.  I guess I just like game mechanics.

For me it's the babes.  Yeh, the chicks, and the respect I get strolling down the street twirling my dice bag and watching the straights get out of the way.

Mike B.

*Dies laughing*

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 7:15 pm 

For me its probably 70% nostalgia and 25% completist and about 5% hope(or delusion depending on your viewpoint  :) ).  The hope part of me actually is directly connected to the nostalgia part of me because, not only do I love to reflect on great times in ther past I had playing, but a very small part of me "hopes" that sometime in the future I will be able to actually relive some of the magic that I felt long ago, that one day I will be able to participate in an active 1st edition campaign again, and not only have enough people to play with, but also have everyone with plenty of time to do it. Truthfully, the game itself for some reason still fascinates me, even though I haven't played it for probably 20 some years.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:17 pm 

Nostalgia is definitely a big factor. These days when I get a new book I can briefly remember what it felt like to pick up a new book at the hobby shop when I was a kid. If I want to remember a piece of what it was like to be 10 years old I just open up a copy of B2.

The historian in me also really appreciates the game for what it has become. I consider D&D (RPGs) to be one the greatest inventions of the 20th century. I expect that people will be enjoying the game for many years to come. As collectors and researchers we live in a great time. As the game is only 30 years old and most of its creators are still alive, the information about it's history is still relatively fresh and the pieces of it's history are still available to the average collectors like us. I feel like we are on the cutting edge of this hobby.

Nice topic! :D

Cheers,
Curt

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:49 pm 

Well is there any chance all of us here can all agree on a retirement home for when we get older? That way instead of playing Uechure or somethign we can all sit around in the community room at the Big table playing 1st edition on the World of Greyhawk.

I tell ya I will sign up for that community. After all its probably the only dang way we will ever have the time and ability to play like we did when younger.

Bonus to the Retirement home scenario, Even when we complete the GDQ series or the Slavers, or any other one, we wont remember what we just did anyhow so we will be playing in bliss for the remainder of our lives.  8O   :D  :D  :D

Someplace with a hot tub for relaxing and preferably warm environment, I live in Northern Michigan now and I tell you we been below zero a good bit of January.

Bruce Thibodeau

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:42 am 

Ogreden wrote:Well is there any chance all of us here can all agree on a retirement home for when we get older? That way instead of playing Uechure or somethign we can all sit around in the community room at the Big table playing 1st edition on the World of Greyhawk.

I tell ya I will sign up for that community. After all its probably the only dang way we will ever have the time and ability to play like we did when younger.

Bonus to the Retirement home scenario, Even when we complete the GDQ series or the Slavers, or any other one, we wont remember what we just did anyhow so we will be playing in bliss for the remainder of our lives.  8O   :D  :D  :D

Someplace with a hot tub for relaxing and preferably warm environment, I live in Northern Michigan now and I tell you we been below zero a good bit of January.

Lloth? whoooo? well you can tell that cook i dont want no lumps in the gravy today...they give me stomach ache......whaaddya mean roll.....i can't find my dice....

*oh yeah would be fun* :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:02 am 

I started collecting (again) in June 2004 or so for nostagia, picking up the remnants of my existing collection, but it's evolved rapidly into a quest for different printings and research.  There's a constant pull to try reselling, but I suspect it's far more difficult and time-consuming than I realize.  

My other raison d'etre would be hanging out on this forum, which is a community unto itself.  I've definitely learned a lot in my short time here.

I own more first edition "core" rulebooks than a sane man should -- 5 DMGs, 3PHBs, 6 MMs...and probably growing.  I know that's not a lot around here but considering I don't play or resell, it's significant.  My wife has questioned whether a collection of copies of the same 3 books even counts.

YIM  
Next