Sellers who back out.
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5634
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:40 pm 
 

Uh, King, my wife works for B&N.
Were you unaware that you can READ the books at B&N before you buy them?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:16 am 
 

KingOfPain wrote:No...but there could be a special section for autographed or celebrity copies of books.  Everything in the section would be unique so the prices would be extremely high.  I can see it now:  An OCE with Cheeto dust smeared on the surface and fingerprinting done to verify that it was Gygax's.  Or maybe a copy of the DNA test used to verify that the dried snot on the cover of a particular Fiend Folio is actually from Graeme Morris' nose.   8O

Ummm...good thoughts, but your history doesn't make sense.  Why would Gygax be playing with an OCE?  

If anybody had a shot at collecting rares, it'd be him.  He probably plays with his original manuscript, and uses OCE pages as napkins, hence the Cheeto dust.  (I'm not sure if snot has enough DNA for an accurate verification, probably you can identify the cold virus, however.)

And another thing:
Deadlord36 wrote:Uh, King, my wife works for B&N.
Were you unaware that you can READ the books at B&N before you buy them?

Two words: PDF service.  :wink: Can't wait to see B&N stock skyrocket (then plummet).

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:29 am 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:Uh, King, my wife works for B&N.
Were you unaware that you can READ the books at B&N before you buy them?


(Straining as I squeeze the sarcasm out of this post.)

Jeez, I almost forgot about this thread.  Who digs this stuff back up anyway?  If I remember correctly the post I made was on a particularly bad day and I was full of venom about something and needed to vent.  So no, I didnt actually bludgeon anyone with the book or any other heavy instrument.  :wink:

And as for reading books before you buy them....your wife must be a much nicer B&N employee than the one I spoke to.  Since the book was shrinkwrapped I asked if they had a "viewing" copy.  The stooge that I asked stated that it was the last copy they had available and couldnt remove the shrink.  Since my comic book store had already ran out and the local Border's didnt have any in stock I was sure that this was something I had to have right then and there and didnt want to take a chance that I wouldnt get a copy.  My mistake and I got over it soon after.  I didnt actually even try to take it back.  My apologies if my bad joke was taken out of context. (I did think the part about Tharizdun was a little funny though... :D )

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5634
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jul 27, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:34 am 
 

I was just teasing, King.
I know they do insist on keeping shrinkwrapped books in the shrink. Was it THAT bad?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:35 am 
 

Ummm...good thoughts, but your history doesn't make sense.  Why would Gygax be playing with an OCE?  

If anybody had a shot at collecting rares, it'd be him.  He probably plays with his original manuscript, and uses OCE pages as napkins, hence the Cheeto dust.  (I'm not sure if snot has enough DNA for an accurate verification, probably you can identify the cold virus, however.)


Guess it is a good thing I am neither a historian nor a geneticist.  :mrgreen:

  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 04, 2021

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:36 am 
 

KingOfPain wrote:(Straining as I squeeze the sarcasm out of this post.)

Jeez, I almost forgot about this thread. Who digs this stuff back up anyway? If I remember correctly the post I made was on a particularly bad day and I was full of venom about something and needed to vent. So no, I didnt actually bludgeon anyone with the book or any other heavy instrument. :wink:

And as for reading books before you buy them....your wife must be a much nicer B&N employee than the one I spoke to. Since the book was shrinkwrapped I asked if they had a "viewing" copy. The stooge that I asked stated that it was the last copy they had available and couldnt remove the shrink. Since my comic book store had already ran out and the local Border's didnt have any in stock I was sure that this was something I had to have right then and there and didnt want to take a chance that I wouldnt get a copy. My mistake and I got over it soon after. I didnt actually even try to take it back. My apologies if my bad joke was taken out of context. (I did think the part about Tharizdun was a little funny though... :D )


Hey King, if its any consolation to you, actually when I first read both of your original posts, I laughed my a$$ off.

KingOfPain wrote:If it was me, I would let it go. Sure the person is a dipshit and needs to be smacked in the head but why let it bother you. He or she would probably put the modules through a paper-shredder, let their cat piss on them, and then charge you $15 dollars for next day delivery. Then all you would have is some colored paper shreds that smell like cat piss. :twisted:



KingOfPain wrote:No...but there could be a special section for autographed or celebrity copies of books. Everything in the section would be unique so the prices would be extremely high. I can see it now: An OCE with Cheeto dust smeared on the surface and fingerprinting done to verify that it was Gygax's. Or maybe a copy of the DNA test used to verify that the dried snot on the cover of a particular Fiend Folio is actually from Graeme Morris' nose. 8O

I have an extremely rare item that someone might be interested in. I have a copy of Dungeons and Dragons: 30 Years of Adventure that I used to beat a Barnes and Noble employee to death after trying to return it once I found out just how big a piece of crap it is. It has a very nice blood spatter pattern on the spine and cover. Very reminiscent of early Tharizdun works. :twisted:


:lol: :lol: :lol:


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 4750
Joined: Oct 31, 2004
Last Visit: May 05, 2021
Location: Garland, TX

Post Posted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:44 am 
 

Deadlord36 wrote:I was just teasing, King.
I know they do insist on keeping shrinkwrapped books in the shrink. Was it THAT bad?


Actually the book itself is very nicely put together.  What I was disappointed in was the content.  I was looking for more history and photos from the early years.  Very little information about Greyhawk in particular.  The interviews with all of the people were particularly bad.  I thought that the short historical document from the 25th Anniversary boxed set had more pertinent information in it than the 30th Anniversary book.

  
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2