2nd ed. D&D / non-D&D collecting
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:28 pm 

Id like to start a thread for non-Acaeum material:  - What 2nd edition+  material is/will be especially collectable? is there anything particularly sought-after or rare..or just excellent content-wide?   - What non-D&D stuff is collectible? I assume Runequest has a following: early MERP is valuable - and I guess anything early (pre 1980? 1982?) is worth grabbing.....but what else?  In short, if i find a seam of stuff cheap, what should I buy to enjoy reading and what should I buy to resell to fund my D&D addiction.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 14, 2003 5:24 pm 

nn wrote:- What 2nd edition+  material is/will be especially collectable? is there anything particularly sought-after or rare..or just excellent content-wide?   - What non-D&D stuff is collectible? I assume Runequest has a following: early MERP is valuable - and I guess anything early (pre 1980? 1982?) is worth grabbing.....but what else?  In short, if i find a seam of stuff cheap, what should I buy to enjoy reading and what should I buy to resell to fund my D&D addiction.
 Some of the planescape stuff goes for a bit, one of the boxes Planes of Chaos? or the other one, Kara-Tur boxed set did goes for lots, but I haven't seen one sell on ebay in a while (LOL... I think I have a couple spare)....  Non_d&D stuff, yes to Runequest espically the small zine stuff at the moment, merp is big at the moment because of the movies, also CoC stuff for sure, some goes for lots, that why my collection of it is so  small:(  Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:29 am 

2nd edition stuff that may be valuable:  Planscape: Planes of Conflict Planes of Chaos Hellbound Sketchbook  Forgotten Realms: The North box set Menzoberranzan City of Splendors Kara Tur Ruins of Myth Drannor Cormyr The Dalelands  Dragonlance: Dragonlance Newsletters  Ravenloft: Ravenloft Limited Edition d20 Item I think  Alternity: Alternity Limited Edition <--maybe someday in 100 yrs. lol Doesn't seem to be popular  Non Tsr: ---MERP <--As a tolk collector, prices of merp will drop after the movie is all over imo ----Runequest ---Talisman ---Battletech ----Some Call of Cthulhu ----Some selected Shadowrun items ----Twilight 2000 ----Some selected warhammer fantasy role playing ---any non tsr on matthias site  8)  :lol:   Thats all I could think of now. Time to sleep and rest up as I need to pump heavy iron tomorrow. I'll be back :roll:  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:37 am 

A lot of the Greyhawk materials fetch decent prices on eBay:  Carl Sargent's stuff, Rary the Traitor, Vecna Lives, etc.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:43 am 

Oh for Non Tsr I need to add:  Metagaming Fantasy Trip items. They always go for high prices.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 9:13 am 

this is a good idea as lot sof us like collecting different games...  But, can someone please tell me why the CoC stuff is going bananas at the moment?  It's not like MERP (licence gone to a different company) or old D&D (ancient and famous) - so why are the prices going up??  perplexed of Olde London towne.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:58 am 

I took a look on ebay for the complete auctions and current high prices items of Call of Cthulhu and wow it does seem to be getting very high prices for a few specific items. Perhaps more interest in it and more people wishing to get the out of print items?  Battletech is getting some high prices (I think its always gotten high prices) and the only reason I can see that is because perhaps more players wishing to get a few of the hard to find books to use, etc. Perhaps maybe most of these other gaming systems are attracting more and more players/collectors?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:55 pm 

I don't track non-Pagan Publishing CoC items much:  which ones are doing well?    I've got a spare copy of the original Spawn of Azathoth box set I may be willing to trade....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:58 pm 

red_bus wrote:this is a good idea as lot sof us like collecting different games...  But, can someone please tell me why the CoC stuff is going bananas at the moment?
 god you should see some of the differeft games i collect geez....  anyway I think the CoC stuff is high at the moment for a couple of things, some of it is way out of print, some are very limited issues, and there are more collectors of CoC material in general (ie they collect the books, zines etc) that are not RPG related and some of them are comming from the Non-RPG field over to the RPG stuff just to collect.... which is the same as some of us that collect non-rpg related stuff for D&D/AD&D, ie like the flash light, party set, paper weight, cerial box....etc  Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:21 am 

What's Dragonquest like? Both for quality of the product (I just like reading modules) and collectability?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 2:35 am 

I always really liked Dragonquest and I remember 'back in the day' before D&D was the 800 lb Gorilla of RPGing (although it was always the leader by far), I got Dragonquest starter set and felt it was more fun, richer in what you could do with a character and better organized.....  however; it was NOT well supported, didn't evolve at all and no one played it so kind of pointless.... STill, I highly recommend getting a copy for entertainment's sake.  BTW, the above was my opinion at Age 12 or so...  SHort version of above; it was a cool game and worth grabbing for fun!

-------------------------------------------------

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:44 am 

Tri Tac items are fairly collectible. I know Brette was after some limited edition Tri Tac stuff stuff earlier but too bad I got to them first  :lol:  8)   Is Dragonquest valuable at all?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 5:44 pm 

Mkman wrote:Tri Tac items are fairly collectible. I know Brette was after some limited edition Tri Tac stuff stuff earlier but too bad I got to them first  :lol:  8)
 Oh you mean the individual ones that were auctioned off that I lost? or the set or 3 or 4 that were auctioned a week later for half the price signed by the writter that I won, but were not listed very well? :lol:  :twisted:   Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 7:04 pm 

Hey Brette, I know of the lot of 3 that you won. That one had different items than the separate ones. But in any case I paid nothing.  :lol:  8)  I traded for them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 10:41 am 

An old copy of Iron Wind went for over $70 a week or so ago...  Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:03 pm 

[quote="Mkman"]Battletech is getting some high prices (I think its always gotten high prices) and the only reason I can see that is because perhaps more players wishing to get a few of the hard to find books to use, etc. Perhaps maybe most of these other gaming systems are attracting more and more players/collectors?[/quote]  Some of the Battletech stuff that gets really high prices does so because the books include old mechs that FASA lost the license to reprint in later books.  For instance, the first printings of Tech Manual 3025 have Mechs included that aren't in the later printings.  There are a number of books in the series that are rarer (and pricier) because of this.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:05 pm 

Battletech certainly does seem to do very well and so are the battletech miniatures.   Cthulhu prices are going crazy! $70+ for one of a certain Cthulhu item! If anyone sees Battletech and Cthulhu at a store, buy them out and sell them for a profit on ebay!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:40 pm 

Mkman wrote:Battletech certainly does seem to do very well and so are the battletech miniatures.   Cthulhu prices are going crazy! $70+ for one of a certain Cthulhu item! If anyone sees Battletech and Cthulhu at a store, buy them out and sell them for a profit on ebay!
 Wouldn't I become a reseller if I did that?  :P   Ð

Next