Need some guidance as I sell my stuff
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:42 pm 

An old gaming buddy used to say that "a good dwarf always brings his sh#t", but this dwarf is tired of toting it, and hasn't played in years.  I have a fairly large collection of 1st and 2nd edition AD&D stuff - rules books, supplements, modules.  What's the best way to sell this stuff off?  Seems like alot of you folks are buying and selling on Ebay.  How can I best ensure that I get a "fair" price - I've no desire to rob or be robbed.  Among other things, I have:

Dragon  - continuous from #85 or so through #200+
Polyhedron - 4 or 5 years worth from late 1980's through early 1990's

modules I-3, -4, -5...S-1, -4...T-1, C-1 to name a few.

Quite a few Spelljammer items, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun...

In all, probably 5 or 6 large-ish boxes, including miniatures, etc..  Most of it is in what I believe is Very Good condition - read 2 or 3 times, spines, edges & covers pretty clean, maps intact, card stock items not punched out, etc.  Guidance, anyone?

Getafix
"Accidents Happen"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:27 pm 

Ptahdedah wrote:An old gaming buddy used to say that "a good dwarf always brings his sh#t", but this dwarf is tired of toting it, and hasn't played in years.  I have a fairly large collection of 1st and 2nd edition AD&D stuff - rules books, supplements, modules.  What's the best way to sell this stuff off?  Seems like alot of you folks are buying and selling on Ebay.  How can I best ensure that I get a "fair" price - I've no desire to rob or be robbed.  Among other things, I have:

Dragon  - continuous from #85 or so through #200+
Polyhedron - 4 or 5 years worth from late 1980's through early 1990's

modules I-3, -4, -5...S-1, -4...T-1, C-1 to name a few.

Quite a few Spelljammer items, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Dark Sun...

In all, probably 5 or 6 large-ish boxes, including miniatures, etc..  Most of it is in what I believe is Very Good condition - read 2 or 3 times, spines, edges & covers pretty clean, maps intact, card stock items not punched out, etc.  Guidance, anyone?

Getafix
"Accidents Happen"

First off, welcome to the site  :).   When I sell, I personally try to be as upfront as possible with my descriptions by describing my items in a fairly detailed manner with a pic or 2 if possible.   Also, I try to set a minimum bid based on the rarity and condition of the item(s) that will ensure that if only 1 person bids for my item(s) that its not like just giving the item(s) away.   I also don't want to set a minimum bid that is too high so that people will look at it and just move on because it is too high, as I still want more than 1 person to take interest in my listing.   Some sellers though, prefer to start out their auctions at just $0.01 to try generate a lot of bids, possibly creating  bidding war, and others try to set a minimum where they are really just shooting for that one bidder to take it and if they get more than that one bid, its just a bonus. Any of the 3 ways can be very effective, but its just generally up to you in which way you feel the most confortable doing.  In the end, regardless of how you start,  you will do well if you are honest and upfront about the condition of the items in your auction, you convey that you are willing to work with your bidders as far as payment/shipping options you offer, and you don't overcharge on shipping & handling.  The 2 most common problems between buyers and sellers  arise because either the seller clearly misrepresented the item in their listing, or the seller charged way too much for S&H.  Finally, the last suggestion I have, would be to just research your items that you are selling both here on this site, and also on Ebay by checking out the closed auctions.  From there you will be able to see what you should reasonably expect to get for a particular item and that should also help you decide what you want to set your opening bid for. Anyway, I hope that helps some, and I'm sure others here will follow with some suggestions as well.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:23 am 

Another eBay consideration: one lot or a bunch of individual lots?

Here's one opinion: I'm always a little leery with no-feedback or low-feedback sellers auctioning off huge lots that have dozens of items (and, believe me, this happens a lot in the world of D&D/TSR collecting). It's difficult for me to instantly trust someone who has no eBay track record — I'm not saying it's right, it's just difficult.

Also, I'm sort of half-convinced that multiple lots are the way to go, anyway. Frankly, I think there's more money to be made with 25 auctions for one item apiece than there is with a single auction for 25 items. I know that in the few instances I've bought a large lot for the express purpose of reselling it later item-by-item (after maybe keeping a couple items for myself), I've always shown a profit. Whether or not that proves anything is open to debate, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Of course, the one-bigass-auction theory does have one advantge: very simple book-keeping. One listing, one buyer, one payment, and — boom! — you're done.

Anyway, that's just one opinion. If you put together a thoughtful listing and treat your buyer(s) fairly, you'll do fine either way.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:23 am 

If you put up a list of the titles and general conditions of your items, Ptahdedah, we can probably give you a guesstimate on what you would make on eBay, what it would cost to sell it on eBay as lots that would maximize your income for the books, and I'm sure you may well get some decent offers on the board worth considering so that you don't have to go through the hassle of eBay ;)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:36 am 

If your feedback is low, don't worry if you are going to sell it in a large lot. . . resellers don't care about that (they can't care or they'd never get anything!)

If you want to sell the items individually then you can get a good rough estimate by averaging out the value of modules/accesories at $5.00 each.  Boxed sets can be averaged out at about $7.00 each.  Obviously, if you have some desirable items (H1-4, Greyhawk mods/boxed sets or "Supermodules" they can bring in more whereas Spelljammer and Dragonlance mods wouldn't even equall $5 each), but without a list, I couldn't tell you.

Dragons and Polyhedron you can write off - maybe all your Dragons might bring $15-30 with enough effort.  Usually they are more trouble then they are worth - (if I won them in a lot from you, I would tell you to keep them and save me on shipping costs)

If the $5 / $7 estimate is seems low, remember that you will have other fees for listing/paypal/shipping materials.  It should give you a good general idea though.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:59 am 

ptahdedah: hi and welcome to the site. being from the UK, i just thought i would mention this:

also consider WHERE you are willing to ship these items. quite a few ppl like to just ship to their native countries and won't go beyond there. me personally, i think you restrict your good sale by doing that. i live in the UK and quite often buy from the US..whether it be 1 single item or a lot of items, but just ensure you read up on how you can ship, so that when the auction(s) end, you are very clued up and are very flexible.

as grodog said, s&h can be a very prickly experience, like i just found. a few weeks ago i got sh*t on from a great height. the seller was SO inflexible with shipping, the shipping was as much as the items were (a lot of them) - i am getting them via an express delivery, where frankly, surface or even m-bags was quite satisfactory for me.....but as they dont use it, so won't use it, it creates a very unhappy buyer! so if you are clued up, things like this won't happen and if you mantion this in the auction too, you WILL get more bidders showing an interest from other countries, specially the UK.

good luck with your auction, and i imagine, if you list what you have available to sell, there are prb many folks here who would show an interest in what you have too...

hope this helps & good luck :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:06 pm 

Blackmoor and I have an interest in minis. maybe you could try posting a list in the classified section here first since it free and were all pretty psychotic when it comes to spending money on items were after.

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:57 am 

Terminal_Frost wrote:Blackmoor and I have an interest in minis. maybe you could try posting a list in the classified section here first since it free and were all pretty psychotic when it comes to spending money on items were after.

That is the truth, I laid out over $600.00 on mini's this month alone :oops:  :oops:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:13 pm 

Ive been buying locally mostly and selling off the ones I either have already or dont really liek too much.  Im picking up 160 blister packs tomorrow.

I need to draw a line somewhere or see a shrink.   8O

Blackmoor wrote:
Terminal_Frost wrote:Blackmoor and I have an interest in minis. maybe you could try posting a list in the classified section here first since it free and were all pretty psychotic when it comes to spending money on items were after.

That is the truth, I laid out over $600.00 on mini's this month alone :oops:  :oops:

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM