Cookies & Cake
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:29 am 

misterspock wrote in Cookies & Cake:Cookie question: Do we need to be logged on in order for this cookie-saving click thru program to work?

Nope, you don't need to be logged in; the cookie from eBay will be stored on your computer regardless of your login status here.

misterspock wrote in Cookies & Cake:I switched to a different browser and was actually able to see Faro's link (without being logged in) so I'm guessing there was some issue with Firefox's cookie-saving and not being logged in.

It should work.  I just logged out on Chrome, and it works.  Can anyone else confirm it doesn't work on Firefox?

As for the link being viewable in Topic Review... yes, it is.  My code doesn't convert eBay links in the Topic Review panel, but I should probably look at adding it there.

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:46 am 

ok, thanks.

It wasn't an issue that I couldn't see the actual ebay details from the link in the Topic View, just that I noticed I was able to actually view the link successfully versus when I wasn't logged in when I couldn't see the link, let alone the ebay details.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:38 pm 

FoulFoot wrote in Cookies & Cake:My code doesn't convert eBay links in the Topic Review panel, but I should probably look at adding it there.

Added!

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:21 pm 

thanks for that.

Still having some error messages crop up when I hit the pages without logging in on Firefox (worked fine on Safari and Opera). The screen shot only shows the last three, but all the ebay links obviously give the same message.

43.0.3 is the latest Firefox browser I'm using

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:11 pm 

Yeah, that's really odd.  It should work.

The only thing I could find was this, a guide from Mozilla on how to fix cookie issues.  Give 'er a spin?:  Websites say cookies are blocked - Unblock them | Firefox Help

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:11 pm 

I've had no issues on my Mac using Chrome.  But on my iPad, using Safari, I often get the error message instead of the link.  To reset it, I have to navigate back to the main page, then go back to the forums, then go to the topic, then refresh the page.  It's odd, but if it supports the Acaeum, I'm willing to pay the price.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:06 pm 

Well, I don't want anybody paying any prices unless absolutely necessary!  I'd hoped the system would be transparent to normal use.

I re-worked some of the detection code.  Try it now.

Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:05 pm 

very odd.. I went through all the steps on the Firefox cookie & history/cache deletion. Made sure I quit and restarted Firefox. Then did all the steps again, quit Firefox and restarted the computer. Still no change. Then switched to a different computer and went through all the same steps. Still arrived at the same ebay link error message.

Then I took a look at both Opera and Safari and I'm receiving the same result.
These are of course when I'm not logged in, but just simply navigating to the forums site. I did try what Bracton mentioned, but that didn't do the trick for me either.

UPDATE: before I logged out I made sure that links were visible (they were), then logged out, then navigated back to the Classifieds page and then went to the Auction Hunter listings... and voila! now they show (when not logged in)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:55 pm 

The code I changed this afternoon probably did the trick.  Good to hear!

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:14 am 

Well, now I get the error message on my iPad and iPhone even if I navigate back and forth from the main page.  I have to log in to be able to see the links.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:14 am 

I tweaked it again.  I also went & got my old iPad out of storage, and with iOS 9.2 and a vanilla Safari install, can see the links fine when logged out.

Going to the main page won't do anything now; the code has been moved to the topic pages.

I'm leaving shortly for the weekend, so will have to tackle this again on Monday for those still having trouble.

Foul

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:37 pm 

It works now.  Thanks!   PDT_Armataz_01_34

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:08 pm 

Well. I'm glad to see that the Cake is NOT a lie. (finally.)

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:17 pm 

Didn't we have some fun, though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said "Goodbye", and you were like, "No way!" And then I was all, "We pretended we were going to murder you." That was great.

Foul

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:42 pm 

A cookie issue?

Just had a little bit of an unusual experience. Perusing the class 2&3 rarities thread in the classifieds worked normally while not logged in, but class 4&5 came up with a message that signing in was required to view the posts. Signing in worked, but why was this not an issue before, and why just one topic and not the other?

Color me corn-fused.

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:51 pm 

Correct, I added that today.  It's a long rant which I'll spare everyone, but I'm getting irritated at people benefiting from Auction Hunter finding items, but then sniping the auctions off-site.  I'll see if this helps alleviate the issue.

In short, you'll need to be logged in to view the Class 4&5 thread.

Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:41 am 

why do i have to be logged in to see pictures in posts? Not in Auction Hunting posts

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:11 pm 

I answered that here: Re: Site Update

Foul

PreviousNext