New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year
Author

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:15 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:I had no idea Craigslist had a collectible market.  Ill have to look a little more into that.  8)

-SKA

It is usually pretty crappy; however i have found some gems along the way with Warhammer stuff, SCA armor, and some AD&D stuff. Best find was a a lead figure hoard where a guy was selling his deceased brother's collection. Unfortunately he was pretty savvy and I did not have the funds to really clean up like I wanted to.

"A war without fire is like sausages without mustard!"  Henry V of England.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:20 pm 

This has to be a mistake...  From Gary's estate or not...   $29,000.   8O

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:30 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:This has to be a mistake...  From Gary's estate or not...   $29,000.   8O

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

-SKA

Gosh ya think you’d at least get free shipping at that BIN (courier delivery via handcuffed briefcase isn’t so far off all things considered me thinks too) 8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:03 am 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:This has to be a mistake...  From Gary's estate or not...   $29,000.

Maybe it's 29k for the entire estate, plus one additional copy of the DMG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:33 am 

But it's sealed in plastic. You get the original EGG smoke, and you could clone yourself a lousy businessman and authentic DM from it.
It'd be really funny if it said, 'Good clean copy. VGC. No writing or pencil marks.'
I bet this has never been used by Gary at all. Just a copy the family had on the shelf.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:55 pm 

The EGG name decreases the value of the item these days.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:07 am 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:The EGG name decreases the value of the item these days.

Ah, the Ernie effect. Wonderfile.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:17 pm 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:The EGG name decreases the value of the item these days.

I don't know about this comment.  Unless you are referring to currently published products (which really isn't in the same context), I haven't seen anything from a Gygax collection, or with a Gygax autograph on it, that is selling for less than a standard copy.  They usually sell for considerably more.

In keeping with the original context of the Dungeon Masters Guide listed above.  That is a ridiculous price.  It might be a typo.  If it isn't, then the seller will eventually figure out it's way too high, or someone will message the seller with a good enough offer that they sell it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:50 pm 

dbartman wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:I don't know about this comment.  Unless you are referring to currently published products (which really isn't in the same context), I haven't seen anything from a Gygax collection, or with a Gygax autograph on it, that is selling for less than a standard copy.  They usually sell for considerably more.

It was a half-joke about how EGG has justifiably become a pariah in the RPG community because of the hateful shit he and his cohorts have spewed online.

If this DMG truly is from the Gygax estate, then it would appear that EGG thinks that his last name holds more cachet than he thinks it does. No one is paying $29k for a 2nd print DMG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:13 pm 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:It was a half-joke about how EGG has justifiably become a pariah in the RPG community because of the hateful shit he and his cohorts have spewed online.

Are we talking about Gary here. Or are we talking about LaNasa’s goat, the wonderflid?
I wasn’t aware of anything controversial Gary had said in recent years. To a certain degree, anything Gary has said in recent years could be considered controversial, seeing as he’s dead.
As for the wonderflid himself, he only seems to talk when Sir has his hand up him, and neither he nor Sir open their mouths unless they can smell money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:59 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Are we talking about Gary here. Or are we talking about LaNasa’s goat, the wonderflid?
I wasn’t aware of anything controversial Gary had said in recent years. To a certain degree, anything Gary has said in recent years could be considered controversial, seeing as he’s dead.
As for the wonderflid himself, he only seems to talk when Sir has his hand up him, and neither he nor Sir open their mouths unless they can smell money.

I'm talking about Ernest G. Gygax Jr.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:49 am 

for_the_love_of_the_stuff wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:
I'm talking about Ernest G. Gygax Jr.

Ah. Most people read EGG as referring to Gary.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:27 pm 

This would make the list:

dungeons and dragons neverwinter campaign setting for sale: Search Result | eBay

In 2020... I had no idea they got to this point.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:10 pm 

Tszii wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:This would make the list:

dungeons and dragons neverwinter campaign setting for sale: Search Result | eBay

Is that because it is a poor accessory?  The book was $40 when it came out.  I know nothing about 4E.  

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:55 pm 

I just liked the idea of Neverwinter, and the cover. There used to be a ton of them listed. I think they are just all bought now.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:45 am 

Tszii wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:This would make the list:

Got to what point? Seems like these are pretty normal prices unless I am missing something.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:33 am 

Perhaps Tszii is referring to the fact that they were available for very inexpensive prices for a while, so the current prices seem high?

The prices are now starting to rise, since there are more people collecting 4th edition now.  A lot of the excess inventory has evaporated.  Many of the 4th edition products were not packaged well either, or had a lot of components that could be easily lost, so finding them intact is much more difficult now.

I for one find it more difficult to incorporate 4th edition material into any of the other editions.  They published a lot of books too!  It's an aberration from my perspective, but there is a dedicated fan base collecting it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:27 pm 

A screwup on eBay's part?  Maybe the whole store was sold?   8O

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Screenshot from ebay...
Attachment:
Screenshot_20220726-213917.jpg

-SKA

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PreviousNext