...d'oh!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:46 pm 

they have an address in the uk as well
i have been buying a few reprints off them
cheap uk postage

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:54 pm 

Thankfully, you can spot the Cyclopedia reprint from orbit by way of the white border.  The original has a white border only on the left (spine) side.

Foul

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:42 pm 

These arent vintage. They are replicas of something that wasnt.

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:08 pm 

I'm really hoping the buyer wasn't duped for this sale... It's a PBR listing.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:57 pm 

I hope you have other hopes that come true. :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:23 am 

Tszii wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:I hope you have other hopes that come true. :)

Lol. I need a life.

-SKA

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:21 am 

This has to be a record for a trail map.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:09 pm 

Hi! Welcome to August of 2024 updates.

Average condition, mid and late printings, of MM, DMG, PH are $200+.

Average condition DMG First Print are $750+.

Average condition PH MM First prints are $3000+.

All NM modules are $100+ and less common modules are $250+.

Have a nice day!

And yea, I cant believe that trail map went for 2018 OCE prices.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:09 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RPGAuct ... 2355286883

Ok, I can kind of understand this one since the condition is so outstanding... but it is just a 5th/6th white box for $2300

Still, this has to put upward price pressure on the initial listing price for all those OCE white boxes I feel sure are being pulled out of the attic/garage right now.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:03 pm 

Edit:  jeffsea, you're right that is a crazy amount.  Sometimes people get caught up in the auction I guess.  It is in fabulous condition.  Didn't a SW copy go for 'only' $800 not too long ago?

For some reason, this one surprises me...

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:27 pm 

The last SW copy was around 5k I believe. One also sold at the 2019 GenCon for around 5k. It was posted in a video at the auction I believe.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:39 pm 

I bid $2,300 for that box AND I got that last SW box you mention for under $1K indeed. I guess that makes me either totally qualified or totally unqualified to comment, lol.

I was just having fun at the auction frankly but would pay if I won. I did, but ended up leaving it to someone who bid more albeit too late, because I felt he needed it more badly than I wanted it.

Prices have a lot to do with the marketplace (Facebook is a sellers market for those who can play it right), marketing and whether someone looks at it short or long term (aka risk profile). I felt that I could market the box back easily given the condition, if I ever needed to. And I do take chances.

Was it a silly price for today's market? Yes. Will it be in a year or two? I bet against it, personally. I could be the guy who is wrong but has a SW box :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:41 pm 

First, welcome to the boards!  

gregory wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:I bid $2,300 for that box AND I got that last SW box you mention for under $1K indeed. I guess that makes me either totally qualified or totally unqualified to comment, lol.

I thinks it's great to get insight from collectors and reasoning behind bidding.  Do I think prices are silly?  No, it is part of the maturation process of this collectible space.  Cream of the crop items will always pull in solid results.  I think what surprises me the most is that prices are not just inching up but leaping up.  Call it whatever you want, but collectors who are just starting their journey today in the premium market, are really behind the eight ball and could easily be getting priced out of it.  

-SKA

Last edited by Sir Kill Alot on Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:51 am 

We used to tell these in Virgin and HMV in the 90's. We'd bust them open for people to browse through, or find them already opened on the shelves, and then put them behind the counter and re-wrap them and put them back on the shelves. People buy things and them return them because we had a 30 day no questions asked returns policy.

There's a difference between a module on it's 1980's TSR hanger, and a boxed set. It's not 'in its original shrink'. It's probably been opened and read by more people than you care to be told about. People wonder why boxed sets have missing dice, missing flyers, maps or whatever when they are 'brand new' bought from a shop. They think it's bad QC by the publisher when a lot of these things were shipped without shrink to retail in the first place.

Even in relatively recent times. I bought a dozen copies CZ:UW in two batched when they were published. The six I bought from NKG game shrinkwrapped (and partly crushed on the corners due to a retard operating the shrinkwrap machine, and the six I bought from TLG came with no shrinkwrap. Likewise, there is no such thing as 'in original shrink'. If I bought a copy today and took it to a friend and had him shrinkwrap it, I could then sell it as 'brand new in original shrink', and I could be pretty guaranteed that no-one would ever open it or complain, and all I had done was wrap a multi-hundred dollar lock onto it.

These are newbie mistakes. I'm sure many of us have made them. We only make them once and we brush ourselves off and move on. By the sounds of it, it could have been far worse, so congratulations on that score.

In regard to price, what you are describing is investing in the greater fool prospect. Someone in the future will be foolish enough to buy higher, and the product will not find it's intrinsic value. I hope you are right, and with depreciation in the value of the dollar it may well be so. But if I were to hedge against inflation, I'd be inclined to hedge into smaller and more liquid assets. I'd have asked myself, how many buyers am I likely to have for a shrinkwrapped boxed set in ten years time, versus some of the limited print run or small press good quality OSR products, or the rare collectable non-TSR products. Trying to sell 10 books that you bought at $46 a piece for $100 each is far easier than trying to sell one boxed set at $1000 in a contracting market with a depreciating currency, and you have the opportunity to spread risk over multiple products.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:10 am 

That view you expressed about intrinsic value and the greater fool etc is commonly heard in any market with leaping prices as you put it. The counter arguments are always the same, too. Ultimately prices go up and down, and hardly ever linearly in the collectible market. Intrinsic value does not mean anything else than what two parties can agree on at the time of transaction.

Personally I find holding a game or gamebook in my hand as having a ton more intrinsic value than stocks for companies I can only know about through what their management is willing to share.

I also think the fascination for fantasy and rpg game pioneers is not going away, as is the one for the 1970s and 80s innovators at the dawn of the personal computing era (which D&D is very much a part of). It will only grow stronger as we see more dragons on the screen, too. I am not the only one thinking that, given the current demand, and given the way money printing is going I bet our ranks will keep growing. I am also happy with the items I bought intrinsically and not betting money I cannot afford to lose on it. So overall I am sorry if we inflate prices for newbies but not everyone has to own a SW item anyway (on that note I also disagree about your SW explanation as original SW can typically fairly easily be identified VS fake. But always happy to improve my knowledge if you want to share some tips).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:23 am 

My view is actually that prices currently are way too low, given the contributions of TSR and related pioneers to the fantasy genre, which is a multitrillion dollar industry.

Certainly there are still silly auction prices though, when compared to market prices. Some however have a reason to be - I think the point of this thread is to differentiate them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:56 am 

gregory wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:<snip> original SW can typically fairly easily be identified VS fake.

Maybe pre-1990, but anything beyond could have been shrink wrapped by anyone and likely was. Most manufacturers did not shrink wrap. The wholesaler may have shrink wrapped when dealing with small unit buyers, but if you were buying a box of 6 or 10 tabletop games, or 30 hardcover books, you got a box and you opened it and they either went on the shelf like that or you shrink wrapped them in the back of the store and put them on the shelf shrink wrapped. People see shrink wrap with perforations or punched holes in and think that makes it more or less likely to be genuine original bona fide shrink wrap, when in fact it's just a role of shrink wrap like any other roll of shrink wrap. You use what head office supplies that month. HMV employed two members of staff and literally all they did every day was shrink wrap stock. There is no such thing as genuine original shrink wrap post-1990 unless it is sold by the guy who assembled the product and shrink wrapped it himself and took it home and kept it as his staff copy. The whole 'shrink wrap' illusion is one of the big con games in the collecting community.

Like I said, I can see a certain surety in a loose baggie from the 80's with a Tegel Manor in it, and a mailing envelope, anything newer is just to bump up prices and make people feel like they have something new and rare. It's all BS, but it's a learning curve most of us go through.

gregory wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:My view is actually that prices currently are way too low, given the contributions of TSR and related pioneers to the fantasy genre, which is a multitrillion dollar industry.

In regard to prices, you may be right. You are buying with a depreciating currency, and you bought something that won't depreciate as fast as dollar. The question is whether or not the potential buyer pool will still want to buy when you come to sell. I was merely pointing out that from a purely investment perspective, there are far more liquid products with equal of greater upside potential and far less downside risk. It is certainly a pretty good market to be in going forward.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext