New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 21 of 29123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 272829
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:42 am 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I know it's 5E, and it only came out 2 years ago, but....

REALLY?

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:57 pm 

I missed the part in the description where this was printed on gold leaf pages. 8O

** expired/removed eBay auction **

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:09 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:I missed the part in the description where this was printed on gold leaf pages. 8O

-SKA

If it were solid gold (roughly 1/10 lb), that’s still roughly 5x too expensive, lol

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:17 pm 

I would suspect that this was an error in the listing, but who knows.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:40 pm 

jkason wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

I know it's 5E, and it only came out 2 years ago, but....

REALLY?

Was the price corrected?  It's actually a pretty good deal at $25 with free shipping.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:12 pm 

dbartman wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Was the price corrected?  It's actually a pretty good deal at $25 with free shipping.

Yeah. It was originally  $999.99.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:58 pm 

The problem with eBay seems to be that eBay offer sellers free listings but they are conditional upon them being placed within a specific time window. So a prudent seller given 5 free listings in the next 72 hours lists a placeholder product at £500 for 30 days in the category they want and then comes along later and adds the photos, pricing and description later.

That may not have been the case here, but I see it fairly frequently in the UK, with one or two sellers just describing their listing as a placeholder listing info to follow. So I just add them to my watch list if they are a seller I have bought from in the past, and a week or so later the placeholder is a product with a price, and I can delete it or continue to watch if I wish.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:38 pm 

wait...what?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:32 am 

That seems rather heavy for a white box  8O  :roll:  whoever bid on that is either desperate or hasn’t done their research

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:38 pm 

And people think prices are going down?  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:37 am 

Ok this has a place here, definitely!

...and not only for the result of this crazy bid war but even for the 100 bucks of shipping!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:11 pm 

aia wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Ok this has a place here, definitely!

...and not only for the result of this crazy bid war but even for the 100 bucks of shipping!

As an owner of a copy of this book, these prices make me happy.

The 5e Volo's Guide has always been a high price, I got mine for around $300 a couple of years ago.
The value has increased substantially relative to the other special edition 5e books, and I'm not sure why.

They do tend to go up in resale value, depending on the book. Tasha's Cauldron SE is starting to climb a bit as well, though not as insane as the Volo's or Xanathar's guides have.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:16 pm 

I have this copy as well. I play 5e, and remember when the alt cover volo's came out. No one in my play group wanted it. They have just bought the standard cover for $35 and the dndbeyond copy for $25 and the roll20 copy for $25... and they saw no reason to buy the alt cover, with the same material, for $50 at the time. I initially passed on it myself, but saw it creep up in price after it was no longer available at retail. I think I paid around $90 for my copy and I did it quietly because my group would have given me grief that it was a waste of money.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:22 am 

A little off-topic, but this listing shows how words like 'sealed' are being used by sellers with no rhyme or reason. It's an old audio tape with a stained cover, which is shown clearly out of its package:

There was another recent listing for a similar item that actually is sealed in shrink, & the seller above apparently copy/pasted the title without reading it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:09 am 

sauromatian wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:A little off-topic, but this listing shows how words like 'sealed' are being used by sellers with no rhyme or reason. It's an old audio tape with a stained cover, which is shown clearly out of its package:

There was another recent listing for a similar item that actually is sealed in shrink, & the seller above apparently copy/pasted the title without reading it.

I think my mother in law has an 8 track player.  Curious if it still works.  The laziness of some sellers is quite startling.  Blurry and out of focus pictures, awful angles, incorrect titles where title isn't the item in the auction. "Like New" with a coffee or soda circle stain on the inside of the module cover.  The list goes on and on.  Buyer beware but I'm preaching to the choir at this point.   :D

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:26 pm 

"ORIGINAL!
SEALED!!
NOT RE-RESEALED!

This isn't just Rare, or Super Hard To Find...it's the best copy on Ebay!!
This sealed box set has been stored immaculately.
No bends, or creases, or tears on the box!
Nothing heavy has been resting on it, set on it, or smashed it!
No stickers, price tags, dust, or dirt!
The corners are sharp, firm, and in amazing shape!
There is a faint water stain on the rear bottom of the box."

$3200 is absolutely ridiculous for even a sealed Moldvay Basic set.
A water stain on the box under the shrink... but you know, it's totally "not re-resealed"..  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:28 pm 

Two comments over that auction:

1. What is absolutely charming to my eyes is the price... What had the seller in his mind that let him to digit 11 cent in the final value?!?

2. I do not see holes in the shrink... If some mold arrived to the bottom of the box, the air-holes could be the only way to reach the box...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:28 pm 

aia wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Two comments over that auction:

1. What is absolutely charming to my eyes is the price... What had the seller in his mind that let him to digit 11 cent in the final value?!?

2. I do not see holes in the shrink... If some mold arrived to the bottom of the box, the air-holes could be the only way to reach the box...

I sent him a $1.00 offer with a message: "That water stain must've come from some special water that goes right through plastic!"

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 21 of 29123 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 272829