New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 29123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 272829
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:30 pm 

Wow!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:07 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Wow!

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Missed the small print that said it comes with an ounce of gold.  PDT_Armataz_01_05

Serious question... Is it rare or something special this boxed set?

-SKA

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:16 pm 

Ive seen that set go for $200, maybe even $300
Not exactly sure what the extra G is for....processing I assume.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:37 pm 

Price went down. Someone must have retracted a bid, weird.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:40 pm 

So these Creative Publication dice ended last week, thoughts?

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:26 pm 

Very rare dice, especially in that condition.  These dice literally fell apart by just looking at them.  The final sale price was pretty amazing though.  Some of the older, rarer dice have really skyrocketed in value the last year or so.

I suspect that if there were two d4s, the price could have gone up a lot more.

Anyone know offhand what the three d6's are from?  Don't recall seeing those before.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm 

dbartman wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Very rare dice, especially in that condition.  These dice literally fell apart by just looking at them.  The final sale price was pretty amazing though.  Some of the older, rarer dice have really skyrocketed in value the last year or so.

I suspect that if there were two d4s, the price could have gone up a lot more.

Anyone know offhand what the three d6's are from?  Don't recall seeing those before.

I'm not a dice fan so looking at it from that perspective, that price is crazy.  I guess I will never get past the thinking that you are supposed to beat the hell out of them and once they cease to stop rolling you get new ones.  There was a post on another thread where a seller made molds and was producing his own copies of old dice for $300!  Ouch.

-SKA

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:44 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Price went down. Someone must have retracted a bid, weird.

The final sales price was more in-line although still quite a bit higher than the norm, especially considering the box is damaged.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:43 pm 

Sigh...

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Why do some sellers do this?  They set a ridiculously high starting price, which irritates a lot of potential bidders, and maybe even scares some off, when all they have to do with an item like this is start with a low price and it will sell for what the market is willing to pay!

It's like they deliberately want to "game" the system, hoping they can snag someone up-front for that minimum bid price.  Just list it at a reasonable starting price!  Having a high BIN is fine.  Maybe someone will think it's worth it and jump on it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 pm 

dbartman wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Sigh...

Why do some sellers do this?  They set a ridiculously high starting price, which irritates a lot of potential bidders, and maybe even scares some off, when all they have to do with an item like this is start with a low price and it will sell for what the market is willing to pay!

It's like they deliberately want to "game" the system, hoping they can snag someone up-front for that minimum bid price.  Just list it at a reasonable starting price!  Having a high BIN is fine.  Maybe someone will think it's worth it and jump on it.

Doug, I am perturbed by them snapping pictures of the whole thing.  I agree 100% with you, start it at 10 bucks and have a min to protect yourself.  Especially with big ticket items. I know mins are terrible (I don't like them) but at the end of the auction, the seller can determine if the price is 'close enough' or email the top bidder and say $50 more and its yours.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:35 am 

dbartman wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:Sigh...

I disagree. Let them put it out there and see if someone wants to pay that much. There have been several auctions ive followed (and won a couple) recently of things that should have gone for £500+ in the current market that went for nearly half that because the bidding momentum wasnt there and the listing was non-USA based (which shouldnt be a problem for high priced items in the age of remote storage & bulk aggregation).

Maybe they aren't a seller at 5k but are at 7k. Which is fine, maybe they dont get 7k whereas they might have if they started lower (which is your point). But implicitly they have a different perspective of the implied volatility of the bid structuring in the market - and therefore want a floor on the price.

I dont know enough about items of this value/price/cost to say that it would have certainly gone for 7k if you started at 0 or 100 or something though. Do you think it would have? In which case, ignore everything ive written :)

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:38 am 

I guarantee this item would not sell for less than the prevailing market conditions, which are definitely up.  It's not a foreign auction either, with limitations/restriction on shipping or visibility, which I concur can be a factor sometimes.

The valuations on the Acaeum provide an idea of what past sales have been:
Rares Index

Granted, the last four recorded on the Acaeum were sold in 2019, so these valuations don't account for the recent increase in prices.

Even if this sold at 3x those valuations, it wouldn't hit 7K.  Think about other products that are sold at auction by reputable companies.  Do you ever see them marked up that much for an opening bid?  No, they usually have a reasonable starting price so the auction attracts more interest.  We're not talking a reserve here, but a starting bid of 7K.  I think its silly to start with that high of a starting price.  We'll see what happens.  Maybe they will get a private offer and cancel the auction.  With that much of a markup over past sales, most people would probably not be willing to make a private offer, as it would probably be too low, considering the starting price and BIN.

I don't know enough about items of this value/price/cost to say that it would have certainly gone for 7k if you started at 0 or 100 or something though. Do you think it would have? In which case, ignore everything I've written :)

It probably wouldn't sell for that much, since it's way above past sales.  This is my point.  If you don't know the prevailing value for an item, then don't place a wishful thinking or artificially high starting price.  Educate yourself, or trust that the market will get you the maximum possible price.  That's one of the points of selling an item at auction, the auction will almost always find the best price for you.  All you have to do is have a decent listing.  Otherwise, list it as a BIN, and have a best offer option, and  hope you don't screw up.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:16 pm 

Sure, but high starting bid is just a way of having a reserve price right? Can you actually do (hidden) reserve prices on Ebay?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:36 pm 

I've talked about this before, but there is value in listing an item for an aggressive price, especially if you don't need the money fast or don't need the money at all.  Super rare items attract attention, and sometimes lead to people looking at a seller's other items for sale.  I suspect this strategy is sometimes used by Noble Knight Games.  The price can always be lowered over time.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:37 pm 

benjoshua wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:I've talked about this before, but there is value in listing an item for an aggressive price, especially if you don't need the money fast or don't need the money at all.  Super rare items attract attention, and sometimes lead to people looking at a seller's other items for sale.  I suspect this strategy is sometimes used by Noble Knight Games.  The price can always be lowered over time.   8)

Planting an Ebay flag saying "We sell the really good shit"

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:09 am 

$1,358.77 for Swords & Spells?  Something is wrong with this, and it is not just the ridiculous price.  I don't remember Swords & Spells coming in shrink.  And how can the seller tell it is a 6th printing when it is in shrink?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:39 am 

ddt58 wrote in New Candidate: Silliest Auction Price of the Year:$1,358.77 for Swords & Spells?  Something is wrong with this, and it is not just the ridiculous price.  I don't remember Swords & Spells coming in shrink.  And how can the seller tell it is a 6th printing when it is in shrink?

This person about to drop a whole lotta SW items in the next week according to that post.

Could be they're an old hand collector with the Deep Knowledge beyond the ken of the experts of the forum.

Could be that it was shrinkwrapped when bought years ago (I used to shrink wrap 3E D&D PHB at the shop I worked at as a student 20 years ago at the request of the curmugeonly owner who didnt like 'browsers')

Or, could be a money-laundering scheme transacted via high price collectibles.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:02 pm 

Troll just bought a bunch of my shrink wrapped modules.  This swords/spells I cant vouch for, but he does appear to be a shrink collector.
I dont trust or bid on any private auction.  There are no good reasons and only bad ones to hide a person's ebay handle.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 19 of 29123 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 272829