JO MAMA
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:40 am 

Mmmmm Bard's Tale.
Played that on an Apple IIGS - they did a special version - the sound and graphics were just totally awesome for that time.
Never did play 2 or 3 or Dragon Wars...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:11 am 

Baldurs Gate I gets my vote. If felt close to 1st ed AD&D and I liked the fact that you had a story line to follow and you could choose tons of nonlinear paths - different encounter areas.

I know it is not glitzy or loaded with great art but the simplicity worked for me. I liked the Tales of the Sword Coast add on, too. Didn't care too much for the sequals, though.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:48 am 

bbarsh wrote:Baldurs Gate I gets my vote. If felt close to 1st ed AD&D and I liked the fact that you had a story line to follow and you could choose tons of nonlinear paths - different encounter areas.

I know it is not glitzy or loaded with great art but the simplicity worked for me. I liked the Tales of the Sword Coast add on, too. Didn't care too much for the sequals, though.

Baldur's Gate I was very good, and a big thumbs up for the expanion Tales of the Sword Coast too.  I really enjoyed the island adventure in the latter with all the common folk bursting into... well, you're just gonna have to play it.   :wink:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:36 pm 

Yeah the island was cool, but Durlag's was a NIGHTMARE!!!  Talk about tuff and fun and frustrating at times.   Baldurs II was well I feel only half hearted in its feel though.  

It was one of those sequals like hollywood usually puts out.  The second is only half as good as the first. The plots were not as well done. The side adventures were limited and it didin't flow and mesh as nice.

Oh see what you all have done to me? Geesh now I have the urge to load it up and play a dwarven fighter/ thief and terrorize the coast.

I will confess though it was Baldurs gate that finaly got me to look at the Forgotten Realms campaign setting. I was so miffed over the Ending of publishing Greyhawk Items I actually stopped buying any thing new. I ran Greyhawk only campaigns.

Bruce Thibodeau

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:48 pm 

bbarsh wrote:Baldurs Gate I gets my vote. If felt close to 1st ed AD&D and I liked the fact that you had a story line to follow and you could choose tons of nonlinear paths - different encounter areas.

Baldur's Gate has so many in jokes it's a pleasure just to play and read the funny lines some of the NPCs have.  It's the only computer RPG I've ever played where I felt the designers "Got it", that they were guys who actually played and knew the game rather than faceless computer programmers running by a rule book.   A classic.  Too bad the sequels were souless junk.

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:45 pm 

Soulless junk?  Silly man, I shall gut you and eat your liver.  Neverwinter might be soulless junk, but NOT BG2.  That is like shitting on Final Fantasy 7, there are some things you just don't do.  Want to armwrestle?  Huh?  How about that?

Previous