JO MAMA
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:57 pm 

Has anybody experienced the equivalent of Baldur's Gate 2 on PC?  We must all agree that this is the greatest digital RPG on record.  If there is something comparable let me know.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:08 pm 

As much as I enjoyed the original Baldur's Gate and sequels, for me it just isn't even close to the greatest RPG made.  I think Dungeon Siege is actually more fun than Baldur's Gate.  I liked Neverwinter Nights as well but it didn't keep me interested for long.  I tried Temple of Elemental Evil and with the exception of the gorgeous environments, it just didnt turn out to be a memorable game.

But the best RPG ever made?  In my opinion, nothing comes close to the original Fallout.  But if you meant "fantasy", then I would have to go with any of the Bard's Tale series or even Daggerfall.

And Dungeons and Dragons Online will probably tank after the first year.  Who the hell wants to play online in Eberron???  If anyone at WoTC had any brains, they would have set the game in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.  Heck, I would rather play a Dark Sun MMORPG than one set in Eberron.  :P

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:50 am 

Torment. Same engine, same developers, just a little older. And it's PLANESCAPE!

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:56 am 

Wizardry 1! But that's just nostalgia talking.

Hmmm, time to start a NWN thread...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:49 pm 

I have Planescape.  Cool game.  Neverwinter Nights is O.K., but why did they change the party dynamics?  Sillies.  Character interaction in Baldur's gate was just amazing,  Yoshimo the doomed thief, Minsc the half crazy barbarian...etc.  I haven't seen anything like before or since, even the Final Fantasies pale in comparison.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:52 pm 

Fallout (I+II) and Arcanum are on a whole nother planet from anything else.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:23 pm 

nev wrote:Wizardry 1! But that's just nostalgia talking.

Hmmm, time to start a NWN thread...

Back in Jr. High/High School I didnt have enough money to buy a lot of computer games for my trusty Apple II+ so I had to choose between The Bard's Tale and Wizardry.  A couple of friends had played both and like Bard better so I went with it.  They are still some of the most challenging games I have ever played.  Several years ago I picked up the Ultimate RPG Archives which has all the Bard's Tale games, several of the Might and Magic series, Wizardry Gold, and Wasteland.  And because now I have more money, I picked up the Wizardry Collection on Ebay which has all the Wizardry games on one cd-rom.   I found a great application called DosBox that allows you to play dos games in Windows XP so now I can play all my old games again.  Who needs NWN and Baldur's Gate?  :P

And if anyone is looking for a really good RPG style console game, check out Lord of the Rings: The Third Age.  You dont get to use the characters from the movie/books.  Instead you start out with a Gondorian citadel guard sent to help Boromir and end up being too late.  You hook up with a female elven warrior, one of the Dunedain Rangers, and a Dwarf (so far).  The story runs parallel with the Fellowship so the entire game you are shadowing them but not interacting with them.  One particularly funny scene occurs in Moria while your party is searching one of the lower levels for a key to Durin's crypt (or something like that).  A clattering sound echoes through the cavern and a skeleton and a bucket crash to the ground nearby.  You then hear in a far off echo Gandalf calling Pippin "fool of a Took" during the scene in the Chamber of Records.  Then the Balrog comes and all hell breaks loose.

I have been playing for about 4 hours and only have completed 7% of the game so if you like games that take a lot of time to complete it is definitely a good one.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:07 am 

To me NWN is the best thing ever made, especially when you have a few buddies you can play with. Second place for me is Planescape:Torment. Best single player CRPG ever that is based on (A)D&D and with its story it really does justice to Planescape.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:22 am 

Fallout II & Arcanum were fantastic and allowed for some very interesting character interaction and fun yet involved storylines.  Of course, I loved both the Baldur Gate (s) and Planescape.

As a throw back to Sega Genesis - Shining Force II was my favorite - I kind of hope someone (someday) will update this for the PC and come out with a new version.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:55 am 

The Magic Candle series was awesome, as was the Ultima series, and Might and Magic. M&M was the most versatile, with the RPG and the Heroes versions.
Let's not forget Bard's Tale!

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:40 pm 

Jupp wrote:To me NWN is the best thing ever made, especially when you have a few buddies you can play with. Second place for me is Planescape:Torment. Best single player CRPG ever that is based on (A)D&D and with its story it really does justice to Planescape.

Now I am going to have to go pick up Torment because of all the praise from you guys.  Good thing I can pick it up for $5 at Fry's.  :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:47 pm 

beyondthebreach wrote:As a throw back to Sega Genesis - Shining Force II was my favorite - I kind of hope someone (someday) will update this for the PC and come out with a new version.

I always had a lot of fun playing games like Shining Force and Lunar for the Genesis but one of the best "old school" RPG style games for any console was a game called Crystalis for the NES.  Had a lot of similarities to Zelda and the original Final Fantasy game but was, in my opinion, a much better game.

I dont know about Shining Force, but I do know that they did updated Playstation ports for Lunar: Silver Star, Lunar: Eternal Blue, and Chronotrigger.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:43 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:
beyondthebreach wrote:As a throw back to Sega Genesis - Shining Force II was my favorite - I kind of hope someone (someday) will update this for the PC and come out with a new version.

I always had a lot of fun playing games like Shining Force and Lunar for the Genesis but one of the best "old school" RPG style games for any console was a game called Crystalis for the NES.  Had a lot of similarities to Zelda and the original Final Fantasy game but was, in my opinion, a much better game.

I dont know about Shining Force, but I do know that they did updated Playstation ports for Lunar: Silver Star, Lunar: Eternal Blue, and Chronotrigger.

Lets give a little love to the SSI Gold Box series, specifically the "Pools" series which used the same rules as AD&D at the time.  I purchased my first Apple computer at the time this came out (about 1990 I believe) and Had a great time, besides Zork these were the first computer games I had ever played. There were some great battles, even with all the cheats my guys were getting the hell beat out of them most of the time.  Anyway, just reloaded these onto an old computer to give them a workout a decade later, still pretty fun stuff...I'm halfway through the first (Pools of Radiance) and still get a kick about how visitors absolutely freak out when they see me using my several thousand dollar computer system on the crappy graphics, clunky interface and such...kind of like unplugging up the big screen and pulling out the 10 inch black and white TV to watch the superbowl with...

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:51 pm 

Badmike wrote:Lets give a little love to the SSI Gold Box series, specifically the "Pools" series which used the same rules as AD&D at the time.  I purchased my first Apple computer at the time this came out (about 1990 I believe) and Had a great time, besides Zork these were the first computer games I had ever played. There were some great battles, even with all the cheats my guys were getting the hell beat out of them most of the time.  Anyway, just reloaded these onto an old computer to give them a workout a decade later, still pretty fun stuff...I'm halfway through the first (Pools of Radiance) and still get a kick about how visitors absolutely freak out when they see me using my several thousand dollar computer system on the crappy graphics, clunky interface and such...kind of like unplugging up the big screen and pulling out the 10 inch black and white TV to watch the superbowl with...

Mike B.

I have mixed feelings about those...I played them on an old (even at the time) 8088 XT with a tiny monochrome orange screen.  They were probably better with color and sound.  The Curse of the Azure Bonds improved the game engine signficantly from the first one with the option to heal the entire party at once...but the fighting was rather monotonous, in my opinion.  (Cue the monster mindlessly walking back and forth at the back until it used it's full movement).

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:13 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:And Dungeons and Dragons Online will probably tank after the first year.  Who the hell wants to play online in Eberron???  If anyone at WoTC had any brains, they would have set the game in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.  Heck, I would rather play a Dark Sun MMORPG than one set in Eberron.  :P

The story I heard--before Eberron was chosen as the winner--was that WotC was specifically shopping for a new setting for a MMORPG.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:12 pm 

LloydBrown wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:And Dungeons and Dragons Online will probably tank after the first year.  Who the hell wants to play online in Eberron???  If anyone at WoTC had any brains, they would have set the game in Greyhawk or the Forgotten Realms.  Heck, I would rather play a Dark Sun MMORPG than one set in Eberron.  :P

The story I heard--before Eberron was chosen as the winner--was that WotC was specifically shopping for a new setting for a MMORPG.

Maybe it's just me but I can't help but think that there are tens of thousands of people out there that have adventured in the great modules like Keep on the Borderlands, Against the Giants, and White Plume Mountain that would love to actually spend some time in a three dimensional environment that was lovingly designed and faithfully recreated on a computer by another fan of the game.  It would be a dream come true to walk through the streets of Greyhawk and have a conversation with one of the Circle of Eight.  How cool would it be to fight along side other players against invading humanoids from The Pomarj or defend The Marklands from the hordes of Iuz.

I think WoTC should consider the use of Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms as a platform for an MMORPG just because of the amount of detail that have been put into both worlds throughout the last couple of decades.  I myself have never played a true MMORPG.  Not Everquest, Ultima Online, or even Galaxies.  But I would do it if WoTC made it happen with Greyhawk.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:12 pm 

The only computer game based on AD&D I ever did play was the Baldurs Gate series.  I still have never got the third one Throne of Bhall or whatever it is. But I definatly loved that game.

IF  " IF "  Wizards  actually created a Well detailed and worthwhile Greyhawk, Returning to the former style of Art, and got away from the Goth and Moronic Biker art they have. I would Gladdly pay to play in a realtime based game on the web.

To be able to actually venture to the Valy of the Mage. or the lost sea, or land of the Black ice,  and adventure along the way.  To choose to infiltrate and try to assissinate someone in the Scarlet Brotherhood.

Oh ALL the possibilities.  Ok Ok I am getting CHILLS!!!  Stop this conversation NOW. Please  :cry:  :cry:

Wow the excitment just the mere thought of such a thing brings on!

Bruce Thibodeau

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:20 pm 

I think WOTC screwed up not setting their online world in FR or Greyhawk.  I understand the marketer's idea they're promoting the new world, but I think they turned off a lot of potential players.  Eberron has practically no gaming history and I doubt much of a fan base yet.   People play in these online games because the backgrounds of the playable worlds are seen as compelling and deep.  Eberron might be very interesting, I don't know, but it just doesn't have much of a fan base yet, and I doubt the D&D brand is enough to carry this new MMORPG to the head of a very crowded marketplace.  I think it'll be gone within a year or two.  But I guess we'll just see...
I'd certainly sign up to try a Greyhawk version, though.

Next