<-------------------------------NEW PAYPAL SCAMS---------
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:21 pm 

over the last couple of days someone has been really trying to get my accout info, check these emails.  

Dear Customer,

We are contacting you to remind you that on Jan. 11, 2005 our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with TCF Bank's User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access to your account was limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved. We encourage you to log in and perform the steps necessary to restore your account access as soon as possible. Allowing your account access to remain limited for an extended period of time may result in further limitations on the use of your account and possible account closure.Visit now Online Banking page and perform verification process: Log In to Online Banking

TCF Bank, is committed to maintaining a safe environment for our customers. To protect the security of your account, TCF Bank, employs some of the most advanced security systems in the world and our anti-fraud teams regularly screen the TCF Bank system for unusual activity.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure meant to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
TCF Bank., Account Review Department

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This email confirms that you  have paid phonebuyer ([email protected]) $278.99 USD using PayPal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Payment Details

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
8126628705 Myst III  1 $270. USD $270.00 USD

Shipping & Handling via USPS First Class Mail  
(includes any seller handling fees) $8.99 USD  
Shipping Insurance (not offered) :  --  

Total: $278.99 USD

If you did not authorize this payment or if you need assistance with
your account, please contact PayPal customer service at:

Error -  Login - PayPal isn't the fake link theirs took you to a bs website)

Shipping Information: No shipping adress required  

all the links try and take you to some website to record your keystrokes, and the link is not for paypal fruad takes you someplace else normalsolutions.us/key or some bs they even have the email address looking like it came from paypal.  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:29 pm 

Well I would have hoped you realized it was a scam after seeing that you paid $278.99 for Myst III.

I've gotten a few of these, and promptly put them in the circular file after reading them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:47 pm 

I actually work at a bank and I see these types of phishing scams come up almost weekly. Unfortuantely, a lot of people STILL fall for them because they just don't use common sense, like why does paypal need me to give them my account information, ESPECIALLY if they think my account is already compromised.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:53 pm 

they try and make it so you look liek your loging into your paypal account

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:07 pm 

Several commas in the wrong places, lack of spacing, etc. etc.
Anyone who falls for it deserves what they get.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:40 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Several commas in the wrong places, lack of spacing, etc. etc.
Anyone who falls for it deserves what they get.

Amen. I've never seen one e-scam yet — credit card, bank, eBay, PayPal, whatever — that didn't look like it was put together by semi-retarded non-English speakers.

They are harmless (except for time wasted, of course) to anyone with a functioning brain.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:20 am 

Just a heads up.  I received a Paypal scam email this morning with my actual name in it.  Be careful.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 am 

tfm wrote:Just a heads up.  I received a Paypal scam email this morning with my actual name in it.  Be careful.

Interstingly enough, I received one of those a few weeks ago too.  I was really surprised as to how they were able to do that however I just wrote it off as the way my email address was. It was very well done though and could very easily trick someone who is not really paying attention.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:02 pm 

Anyone who is not paying attention deserves to get tricked. If you don't know about phishing scams, you shouldn't be playing around online.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:05 pm 

I received an email that looked like it was from PayPal yesterday stating that my email address change request had been received and that I would need to click on the link provided and login to verify my account (or something like that).  The email address was [email protected].  Funny thing is, I cancelled my PayPal account over three years ago.  :evil:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:08 pm 

No bank worth their salt will ever send you an email telling you to log into your account from a link in an email. End of story. I tell this to people all day long and still get calls of, "Oh my. I think I just gave someone my account information. Can you help?". The only other way they can "trick" you is scumware (key loggers, local web pages, compromised Host files, etc...) and DNS poisoning. OR the dumbass bank gives the data away (Don't get me started on this!).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:53 pm 

New generation mail clients (ie. Thunderbird) also warn you when an email could be a possible phishing attempt. Not that I need it, since when I recevive a weird email I make a radiography of it (I check HTML links, the HTTP header, and so on), but it can be a help for many people.

Interestingly enough, also many "correct" emails from eBay are reported as possible phishing frauds. While this means that the engine can be improved, it also shows a safety-conservative nature of the check.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:00 pm 

I usually right click on the email and go to "View Message Source."  You can see almost everything there.

"I can shew you houses that have stood two centuries and a half and more; houses that have witnessed what would make a modern house crumble into powder.  What do moderns know of life and the forces behind it?" --Richard Upton Pickman

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:18 pm 

I get so many phishing emails that I hardly even take notice.  Usually my yahoo spam filter catches them and sents them in Bulk items where I eventually delete them.

However, I got a phishing email the other day that I almost fell for(well, not really, but it was a pretty good one) . . . my spam filter didn't catch it and it looked like a question regarding one of my auctions.  It was generically phrased and about shipping to another country.  I clicked on the item number link and it took me to my ebay login screen.  Sometimes ebay logins can be screwy and they pop up at odd times.  However, Firefox automatically fills in my password so when I just saw beyondthebreach and no password filled in I hesitated and realized it was phishing.

Someone who normally fills in their password might have fallen for it - it's the first one of that nature that I have encountered.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:40 pm 

And an actual eBay email will appear in your account on eBay.   The phishes never do.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:27 pm 

I never block the scams. I review 'em and forward to both [email protected](ebay/paypal).com, to [email protected](sender site), and to [email protected](site where I received 'em, or [email protected]).