Ornery wives
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:30 pm 

I just recently purchased the newest version of the basic set, and insisted to my wife that we play.  She adamantly refused, and I threatend to take away day-time T.V.  It was ugly.  How do you convert a non-believer?  Have you guys seen the G.E. commercial?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:38 pm 

odin2121 wrote:How do you convert a non-believer?  Have you guys seen the G.E. commercial?

I believe the established "best practice" is a mob and blazing torches...but seriously, I don't think you can convert some folks, wives are particularly difficult.  If the interest isn't there, it isn't there.

YIM  

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:50 pm 

well I for one have a crappy marriage. I would get out in 2 secs if I could. why the hell would you want to share our thing with some dumb witch that dont like it. Screw her. Our thing is the one thing my BC can't wreck!!!!!!!!!

I love it. Btw think BC as not the bud but I will take seeds or some if available please send pM if you can

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:06 pm 

Have you guys seen it or not?  A true ode to the intelligent geek.  I don't think a dumb one exists.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:44 pm 

odin2121 wrote:I just recently purchased the newest version of the basic set, and insisted to my wife that we play.  She adamantly refused, and I threatend to take away day-time T.V.  It was ugly.  How do you convert a non-believer?  Have you guys seen the G.E. commercial?

Props to your wife.  If the newest version of the basic set is that 3.5 edition crapola, then she's merely showing her good taste....she'd probably bend over the table for some good old-fashioned 1st edition loving. If Gygax's name isn't somewhere on the box, I hope she throws you out.....

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:26 pm 

dude I couldn't even get my g/f to watch sci-fi with me or play a few rpg computer games your not gonna convert a grown woman to D&D gotta get them while they are young lol.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:44 pm 

My wife plays in my monthly DND group.

My wife is sitting at home playing Baulder's Gate or Fable on the XBOX while my daughter takes a nap.

My wife likes SCI-FI (except Star Trek) and action films (likes action films more than I do).

No - she didn't play DND before she met me.  In fact, she was a cheerleader in high school and loves clothes, shoes, and make-up as much as the next woman does :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:48 pm 

I met my wife at an AD&D game, she was playing the Thief :)

Of course she still does not understand my need to collect everything published for the game :?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:18 am 

Badmike wrote:Props to your wife.  If the newest version of the basic set is that 3.5 edition crapola, then she's merely showing her good taste....she'd probably bend over the table for some good old-fashioned 1st edition loving. If Gygax's name isn't somewhere on the box, I hope she throws you out.....

No way dude! A friend of mine (who doesn't play D&D) bought the WOTC D&D Basic game thinking he could use the miniatures and tiles for play with his old HeroQuest boardgame.

He hadn't played it before bringing it over. It was the four of us (him, me, and both our wives). It was an OK game - probably would be a lot better if one were to come up with a decent dungeon idea rather than the dull adventure that comes already written.

The components were worth the price alone - even if you don't like the game per the rules given. In addition, the tile squares and minis are perfectly compatible (size wise) with HeroQuest. I had been curious about the game, and now I am really considering buying it.

It comes with 4 large tiles that are double-sided, nice looking, and very sturdy. It also has 16? miniatures. The miniatures aren't that great - you probably know by now if you care for the WOTC D&D prepainted minis or not. If nothing else, they are usable and already painted. Throw on top of that a full set of dice (d4, d6, d8, d10, "d90," d12, & d20) and you've got a decent bargain. This is one of those games that just begs to be houseruled - which is the key to unlocking a game like this' potential (just like my HeroQuest games).