Bidding Fury
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2
Author

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2023
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:29 pm 
 

I just went through 2-3 hours of intense bidding on Frankfromgermany ' s Dungeons and Dragons miniature auctions.  Won about 25  - 30 of them though so I am happy.  Lots of last minute bidders of this large set of auctions.

Oh well!!  Out of cash for another few weeks,  Looks like I will have hold off on bidding on Deadlords  ghost Tower #59 auction. :roll:  :wink:


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 280
Joined: Sep 07, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 11, 2021
Location: Well, you guess...

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:46 am 
 

Hey good to hear that.
I can`t get the ebay site to work ATM, but I`ll get back to you about those minis soon. I have some multiples so if you missed on some of the auctions or want multiples of any minis that can be dealt with.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5725
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Feb 01, 2023
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:34 pm 
 

Frank,

I'd be interested in some. Can you send me a list with their prices?


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 269
Joined: Apr 11, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 24, 2008
Location: Clementon, NJ

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:17 am 
 

Some of them did psychotically good.  Im jealous.

Im not disappointed you got some great sales but some of those winning bids were just specatularly dumb.  $70 for a lord soth blister pack? eek...


"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 280
Joined: Sep 07, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 11, 2021
Location: Well, you guess...

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:33 am 
 

Deadlord: I sent you an email with my lists.

TerminalFrost:  
:-)  Yes I`m quite content with the outcome. Though Blackmoor got some minis at prices so low that i`m even losing money. But overall it went very well.  

$ 70 for the Soth is very high you`re right. (To think that i had two more of those but sold them for under $ 20 ...) But then it`s a very cool figure and I believe quite rare. In my last big sale two year ago i got similar prices for the Maralith and Pit Fiend minis on a regular basis.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 269
Joined: Apr 11, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 24, 2008
Location: Clementon, NJ

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:48 am 
 

Minis are hot right now, real hot.


"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

 YIM  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2023

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:55 am 
 

The Ral Partha official AD&D minis line is especially hot now since it's improbable they will even be reissued due to licensing, they're really good sculpts and the current line of official minis are plastic... gak...
I've been actively picking up these blisters for the past year and am about 90% of the way to a complete collection.  Some of the rare ones can get quite pricey.  If you ever want a Pit Fiend then be prepared to spend at least $40 for one blister pack.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 269
Joined: Apr 11, 2004
Last Visit: Mar 24, 2008
Location: Clementon, NJ

Post Posted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:25 pm 
 

I dont usually pay attention to blisters and the selling prices on them are usually dirt.  thats the reason I almost fell out of my chair when I saw what some of those one/two figure 25mm blister packs sold for.  I think the only one I wouldnt mind having is the super hero frazetta rip off.  

Ill have to look a bit more closely to the AD&D ones for a while and see how they go.

dathon wrote:The Ral Partha official AD&D minis line is especially hot now since it's improbable they will even be reissued due to licensing, they're really good sculpts and the current line of official minis are plastic... gak...
I've been actively picking up these blisters for the past year and am about 90% of the way to a complete collection.  Some of the rare ones can get quite pricey.  If you ever want a Pit Fiend then be prepared to spend at least $40 for one blister pack.


"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2023
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:46 am 
 

Heh, everybody stop bidding or talking about this stuff.  Old mini's are crap!! Stay Away damn you until I have had my fill  :wink:

Seriously I collect mini's both loose and packaged and the prices some go for over last last year or so are getting high.  They are still very common is some places though, lots of good deals to be had. :D


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2023
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:48 am 
 

frankfromgermany wrote:$ 70 for the Soth is very high you`re right. (To think that i had two more of those but sold them for under $ 20 ...) But then it`s a very cool figure and I believe quite rare. In my last big sale two year ago i got similar prices for the Maralith and Pit Fiend minis on a regular basis.


I do not think Soth is that rare, just popular.  I have several and keep getting more in loose lots.


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 905
Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2015
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:39 pm 
 

... and here is the much talked about Pit Fiend on eBay ... (currently at $31)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5950623407


- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)



  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3597
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2023
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 4:15 pm 
 

Ralf Toth wrote:... and here is the much talked about Pit Fiend on eBay ... (currently at $31)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5950623407


I picked one up for $13.00 canadian (about $10.50 US) just last week from a small hole in the wall shop here lcoally :D


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Nov 23, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2018
Location: The Saltmarshes of Michigan

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:56 am 
 

I also noticed the $70 death knight. That helped the average I bet, huh Frank? I also noticed the red & gold dragons going for cheap ($20)

I only went after one blister this time, and I was shocked to see that I got the Sahugin I for only $32...saw a blister of those buggers go for about $70 a couple of weeks ago.


Is anyone up for swapping doubles lists? I think we could help each other out.  I need about 100 to complete the entire 11 series.....anyone else close?

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 905
Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2015
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:50 am 
 

So this has become the miniature collecting thread. Then I might as well post my questions here...

I am sometimes adding miniatures to my AD&D collection. Not seriously, minis are not in my collecting focus (yet). However, I noticed that with most of the blisters I bought or saw on eBay, they were far from mint condition. I doubt that mint condition even exists for the old (15+ years) miniatures. Have you ever seen such condition? Also, I am thinking, that my miniatures would look much better painted than inside the blister. Currently I have them all inside their unopened original blister packs. How do you store your miniatures? Do you keep them inside the blisters and lock them away or do you paint and use them, as could be seen on invincible's photos?


- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2023

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:13 pm 
 

Ralf Toth wrote:So this has become the miniature collecting thread. Then I might as well post my questions here...

I am sometimes adding miniatures to my AD&D collection. Not seriously, minis are not in my collecting focus (yet). However, I noticed that with most of the blisters I bought or saw on eBay, they were far from mint condition. I doubt that mint condition even exists for the old (15+ years) miniatures. Have you ever seen such condition? Also, I am thinking, that my miniatures would look much better painted than inside the blister. Currently I have them all inside their unopened original blister packs. How do you store your miniatures? Do you keep them inside the blisters and lock them away or do you paint and use them, as could be seen on invincible's photos?


Minis still in the sealed blister pack go for a lot more $$ than loose ones.  Loose, unpainted minis go for more than painted or primed minis unless the paint job is extraordinary (they're usually not).  Condition of blister packs can be a nit-picky issue.  Do you mind if the price sticker is affixed?  Does it matter how large the price sticker is and what it covers?  How much card wear is acceptable?  How about bends and creases?  And how does one feel about cards that have been clipped or otherwise truncated by sellers to save space?  
Personally I prefer my minis collection in sealed blister packs with minimal wear.  For my box sets shrinkwrap is nice but not necessary as long as the box is in very good condition with all of its original contents, inserts, components, etc.  I never buy painted unless the paint job is extraordinary.  Once in a blue moon I'll buy a large lot of loose, unpainted minis for playing one day.  And one more thing, I absolutely detest plastic miniatures of all kinds.  Plastic minis should have been made illegal, not lead.   :wink:

  

User avatar

Prolific Collector

Posts: 405
Joined: Nov 23, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 26, 2018
Location: The Saltmarshes of Michigan

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:30 pm 
 

I'm with you Dathon, I prefer the "mint" blisters (that's what I collect). I also like to have a loose version to handle, but find it impossible to come across some of the versions in loose from.

The condition of the blister is a major factor to me. Slight wear i can deal with but any tears, major bends, crushed plastic holder, etc...turns me away. If it's cheap, it can always make a good filler though until a better one comes along.
I don't like big price stickers...I don't know if that is more common with the overseas blisters? Some sellers like "robsfigs" always has the big sticker blisters.
A small sticker in the top corner is preferable.

I also like the looks of the 1st edition blister over the 2nd and "overseas" version. I also prefer the foam insert in the plastic, can't stand the mini rattling around.

At the moment I am making a wall mount for my blisters. I can't wait to have the entire 11 series on display.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1253
Joined: Jan 01, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2023

Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 5:40 pm 
 

Ekim Toor wrote:I don't like big price stickers...I don't know if that is more common with the overseas blisters? Some sellers like "robsfigs" always has the big sticker blisters.
A small sticker in the top corner is preferable.

I also like the looks of the 1st edition blister over the 2nd and "overseas" version. I also prefer the foam insert in the plastic, can't stand the mini rattling around.


Big price stickers are annoying, and packs without foam just don't feel right.  I think the difference came with the transition from lead to ralladium at Ral Partha.  It seems all the lead AD&D blisters have the foam while the Ralladium ones do not.  I also don't like my minis rattling around inside the package...

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 905
Joined: Apr 09, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 09, 2015
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post Posted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 6:48 am 
 

So, William, are you going to paint that Pit Fiend or will he have to stay inside his blister?  :lol:

The problem I had with blisters is, that, most of the time they are damaged in the way you described above. Those ancient price stickers are a real pain in the ass. Plus, if you put those blisters on display, it doesn't look very nice if they are not truly mint. That's the difference with books. I need to see my collection on the shelf. If I were collecting minis and had to store them in a closet, that would be frustrating to me. So, I'd either have to paint them or they are minty-mint and can be put on display.


- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)



  
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 21, 2