eBay and sniping
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:08 pm 

Hey... keep your eyes off my account!!! I **KNEW** everyone was out there to get me...   :-)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:44 pm 

Does anyone know the ebay bidder burntwire? I'd like to find out who he is. He seems to have a lot of money as he bought a ton of stuff lately......

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:19 pm 

Sniper software?  :?  What the hell is that!? Can it be blocked? Can it be detected!? As far as individual items go I agree that no sniping should be allowed in the last 5 minutes of the auction. Be honest and put what you would be willing to pay for it plus 10%. As for Lot auctions, that is always going to be a last second thing because people can't judge what the whole Lot is really worth and some hard to find items are in Lot auctions. So personally I say bid to the bitter end seeing as how you can always take out the hard to finds and resell the rest to recoupe your money.  Sniping software 8O ....huh.... I never made the connection.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 2:33 pm 

Were you been Kosh! Everyone uses some sort of sniper software. Its convenient. If your out of town, tell the software to bid XXX amount in the last few seconds of the final day and voila it does it for you. You don't have to worry about finding a computer to log in to and bid. The software does it. Pretty unfair but not much you can do. However, the people who use the sniper software have to pay a few I think. I know some require a yearly fee.  I have no big issues with snipers as I've done it and have been sniped myself. However using the software gives them the edge.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2003 4:05 pm 

So.......where do you get this "SNIPER" software.........since everybody uses it :o  :wink:

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 1:03 am 

Hey Kosh, go here:  ebay sniping software - Google Search  Many many different ones like auctionstealer and many more. Feel free and go take a look. I think many of the people use auctionstealer. I dunno but when I snipe I use good old page refreshing.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 7:33 am 

I second that!  Half the fun of sniping is going down to the wire with your own guess about how many seconds it will take you to bid, and when you choose to refresh.   ..after all what is the point of sniping if you can't miss...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 2:41 pm 

In general, I only place bids on ebay by sniping and there is a very simple reason why and it is not to try and snatch an item out from under someone:  I always make my bid based upon what I am willing to pay plus a little bit extra ($2-$10 depending upon the value of the item).  If it is not enough, oh well, wait until the item shows up again for auction. However, not everyone bids that way. A fair number of people just keep bidding by small increments until they have the high bid or they reach an amount that they are unwilling to spend. Such bidders can cost an early bidder a fair sum of cash with such methods but will have no impact on a sniper.  An example of this happened to me on a bid for a copy of the R3 module. I was unable to do the usual snipe because the auction was going to end when I would not have access to a computer.  I did my usual max plus 10% or so and left the rest to chance. I won the auction but someone bid me up 3 times in the last two minutes. If I had been able to snipe I would have saved myself about $15 - $20.  If everyone would just always bid the maximum amount they wish to spend I would be more than happy to never snipe again. It would save me the trouble of having to stay up late or re-arrange my schedule to be there to bid (I absolutely refuse to ever use sniper software).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:22 pm 

And not all sniping is sniping. Jus the other day I got on and did some browsing of items and found something that I was interested in that was ending in 7 minutes. I ended up not getting the item because the bidder had more on it than I wanted to spend.  You can't get rid of sniping because you can't always tell who is actually sniping and who is not.  Besides, sniping is not illegal, if you don't wanna be sniped then bid what you would pay for on an item or if you really want it, carry it home through the end of the auction.  Sniping is perfectly legal and 100% ok in my book.  Besides if you don't snipe then mkman is going to search for your early bids and compete with you.  :wink:   Chris

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 12:00 am 

Well I'm not the only person that searches for peoples bids. Lots of other collectors do the same so don't label me guys  :lol:  8)  :o   Besides I'm not going to be bidding on much as I have a huge tolkien deal I am working on. Gotta save money up for that!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:59 pm 

One auction site in Australia does something interesting. An auction can't close unless there's been 1 minute without bids after the closing time. Basically prevents sniping because there's no last few seconds problem.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 8:26 pm 

Got a link Nev so we can see what the website is? I still don't see why people complain about sniping. Just start sniping yourselves.........

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:09 pm 

I think it's http://www.sold.com.au Though it might be http://www.stuff.com.au which is a really crap site... anyway it's just the idea that's interesting.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:16 pm 

An interesting idea but I think the price may go way out of hand. Aren't you a sniper Nev??

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 2:34 am 

Is there any other way to go?  :)  I don't see why people consider it unfair. If a sniper wins an auction it's usually for one of two reasons - the sniper bid more than the other people's maximums - the other people didn't bid their maximums in which case how did they expect to win in the first place...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:16 am 

I don't know why this sniping topic is still going on. Noone is complaining about snipers. Nuff said.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 10:33 pm 

Mkman wrote:I don't know why this sniping topic is still going on. Noone is complaining about snipers. Nuff said.
 They are complaining about resellers.  Oh! I said it! :oops:   "Said what?"  That word!  "What word?"  Resellers!  Oh, I said again! :oops:     Ð

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:28 pm 

:lol:  8)  :roll:  Resellers EH? Well that discussion may have to go on another topic! There is one I would like to thank and that is Mike Baldolato (bmike3 on ebay). I bought some fanzines just to check them out and he shipped them well and was very patient with payment. A big thanks to Mike.  Now then there are some other resellers I don't like but like I said, another topic.....

PreviousNext