eBay and sniping
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:53 pm 

Why doesn't eBay just put an end to sniping.  Here is an idea that would curb the problem:  Someone bids in the last 5 minutes of the auction, the auction would reset the clock to 5 minutes left.  Eventually the bidding will stop and the auction will end.  Ã

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:30 pm 

I used to think the same thing, until someone pointed out that this would make shill bidding spiral out of control.  Just imagine unscrupulous sellers shilling the bid up by $5 or $10 every few minutes against the "real" bidders who just gotta have this particular item.   It'd get ugly real fast.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:41 am 

Nothing ruins your day more than after a week of watching that module or blister pack sit for $1.00, than have it go to $8.84 in the last 45 seconds.  :x   I always thought an end to the hours & minutes part would help. Buyers would just know that the auction ends in so many days.  Another thing, who is the person that goes and bids a dollar on all the buy-it-now stuff the minute it comes out?, and then never bids again. Then you watch in terror as an item that you could have grabbed (on buy-it-now) for $6 goes into a feeding frenzy and sells for $15.....drives me nuts.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:02 am 

aha.  I too hate it when something has sat at my low bid for ages (i can picture it on my shelf) and then gets sniped.  BUT i also do some sniping and (he says shamefacedly) it's a great feeling to whip something away at the last minute too...  don't snipe much anymore though, at my age the nerves can't take it.  SM

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:07 am 

Ekim Toor wrote:Another thing, who is the person that goes and bids a dollar on all the buy-it-now stuff the minute it comes out?, and then never bids again. Then you watch in terror as an item that you could have grabbed (on buy-it-now) for $6 goes into a feeding frenzy and sells for $15.....drives me nuts.
 That's probably a 'friend' of the seller...  Paul

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts aquire speed; the lips aquire stains; the stains become a warning.  It is by will alone I set my mind in motion."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:13 pm 

LOL many of the people who are talking about hating sniping do it themselves!! I admit I have sniped before but most I just place a high bid and let it roll. If I lose, no big deal. But shame on the collectors who continue to snipe and then complain about it.  Sniping does get annoying but I guess we can't do anything unless we voice our complaints to ebay. As to Daniels alternative of extending a auction 5 minutes if there is a last minute bid, I think that may drive an item even higher.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:38 pm 

I've seen a few (well, a very few) sellers who refuse to accept bids from snipers. Not sure if eBay will back them up or not, but sometimes you'll find someone who states that they won't accept new bids posted in the last 5/10/15 minutes of the auction.  Worked for me once, I got sniped (even though the seller had clearly stated "no sniping") in the last ten seconds of a hard-fought auction. Much to my surprise, the seller emailed me the next day and offered me the item at my maximum bid.  If more sellers did this, maybe you'd see an end to sniping. Personally, I'm not crazy about sniping, but it's the sniping software that really gets me. If you're going to do it, at least have the guts to do it yourself rather than having a program do it for you....

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:49 pm 

Good point Zander that I forgot to talk about. The new sniping programs many use are incredible. Just tell the program your highest bid and voila just sit back and watch a football game while it does the work for you. Many snipers use programs. I very rarely see sellers refuse bids in the last few minutes. In fact I think most sellers love it since they get more money.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 8:58 pm 

I have to admit, I snipe on occasion..if it's something I really want. I consider myself more of a counter-sniper..... If I'm the high bidder on a nice module that's going for $5.00, YOU KNOW, that someone is gonna sneak in at 30 seconds and snipe you, so I snipe the snipe.... :lol:  That always brings a smile to my face, I can just picture that guy refreshing his screen going "what the #@%& happened"  :?    Anyone ever lost an item to a snipe, and then a couple of days later gotten the same item in better condition for a better price?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:20 pm 

I don't understand what the huff is all about.  Sniping is a part of the bidding process.  (I have done it and had it done to me)  Live auctions have been around for ever and I would like to bet that a good fair amount of them have been won when someone enters the room at the last second and throws up his hand to bid at...Going Twice....Granted the person outbid has a chance to bid again. Ebay allows this buy caching your maximum bid.  If the 'sniper' outbids your maximum, what is wrong with that?

Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:25 pm 

The problem is that nobody bids their maximum.  :)  Everyone's looking for a deal, and are upset when that "deal" disappears at the last second.  Bidders should face two facts:  1) Stop looking for a bargain.  Every once in a long while you'll score one, but don't think for a moment that "ST1 Up the Garden Path" will sell for $50 because no one's noticed the auction.  HUNDREDS of people scour the RPG category DAILY looking for the same things you are.  DOZENS of those people actually have the spending power to ensure tight competition.  And even if they don't see the auction, MIKE KUO certainly will, so you're screwed right there.  2) Set your maximum bid and forget about it.  I wrote an essay on this subject years ago (in the Library section), and it's still valid today.  There are advantages to sniping, but those advantages are largely negated if the bidder(s) bid the maximum amount they're willing to pay.  If someone beats your maximum by $1, you should feel happy that they won, because you were not willing to pay even $1 more than your maximum even if offered the chance.  Live by these two rules and do your ulcers some good --  Foul

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:23 pm 

LOL Thanks Scott for the recognition  8)  :lol:  Many thx :-) BUT even I don't find everything. I have a list of people who I watch in case they see something that I do not.  I'd say right now the person who sees everything and scours entire ebay for great deals is Frank Farris. That guy finds almost everything and nothing escapes his eyes.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:39 pm 

In case people out there want to be successful in finding all the good stuff, here is a list of people all of you should watch and see what they are bidding:  ----foulfoot  -----chromaticknight ------lawrenson <--check him a lot -----blackdougal <--he bids on the good stuff that most miss. Sorry to rat ya out Adrian  8)  -----cgould42 ----gygax <--mostly a sniper so you won't see anything he bids on except in the last seconds ----lriotto ----molecular ----visionsasia ---otherworld1 ----burntwire ----theshield2000 <--he snipes the great non tsr stuff!GRRRR :evil:  ---mcduff ----dm_dave [email protected] ----nevridleysmith  ---beasterbrook ---foster1969 ---enkidu ---trifixion --stormber  I just let these guys do the work for me and find the items HAHAH 8)   Also go on ebay search and open up 3 separate screens. Have AD&D, D&D, and ebay role playing fantasy section on there. Make sure it shows the newest items and VOILA, you can find some kick ass items and if your on at the right time, you can get some good buy it nows. Use this knowledge well and you will get everything.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:54 pm 

...and dont forget  DBartman Chartresspires [email protected] Justice88   Edmud<------please come back guys zanarchist jasonkuan1978<-----spends big bucks on photocopies Lu.le njflyfisherman eyeamgawd<----------changes user name weekly breaddoughrising [email protected]<------keep this at the top of the list  :P     Stay tuned for an update on changed user ID's of all these guys. :lol:

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:35 am 

Ack, I've been spotted   8O  Hmmmm...a name change is not a bad idea  :wink:   Cheers, Curt a.k.a. cgould42 (For now).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:24 am 

LOL thanks Adam for tipping me off! hehe. Thanks for the add-on. I forgot those guys. I sure wish edmud and justice88 were on ebay. They were the best people to watch. Might be a reason they lost so many of the auctions since people sniped them.  Go ahead Cgould and change your userid. I can still find ya. I also have a good idea of what kind of items you bid on :-D hahahah  I'll post more names up once I remember who I may have missed.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:08 pm 

Wow! I had no idea of the celebrity status one could gain from E-bay!  Glad to be of help!  Please don't snipe me too much though!!! :lol:   Matt foster a/k/a [email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:55 pm 

Some more names:  ----guido-the-gypsy [email protected] <--bidded on great stuff for a bit now he bids on crap ----kellykc1 <--this lady beat high class banana republic Will on the ST1.  ----alphablu  ---cougarrinard <--this guy bids on everything as he is a reseller. IMO I don't think he is a good reseller at all.  ----sphector <--T&T collector I think ----mikeship1 ----sleuth2000  ---toddaqua ---book_music_collector <---non tsr collector I think ----monkeymimic <--I wanted a item and he bidded too high! bastard! :P  ---- morgansurname  <---merp collector/reseller  I think thats it for now. Noone can escape my detective work. LOL If I missed anyone and you would like to be recognized and sniped by the rest of us, let me know your userid :-D Other than that, I'm sure adam can fill in some missing people I forgot.

Next