USPS Click-N-Ship
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1
Author


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:31 pm 
 

As sort of an off-shoot from the current "S/H overcharging" thread (which has mutated into a "media mail" thread), I figured I'd (briefly) mention how well the USPS' new Click-N-Ship program seems to be working.

After using it for two weeks, I give C-N-S five-out-of-five stars. My goal for 2005 is to not step inside a post office — literally. Media mail under one pound can go into a mailbox, I can now print my own postage for anything over a pound, and I already buy my stamps online, so it looks like a reachable goal.

Briefly, for those who might not be aware, here's the dilly-o on C-N-S:

1. It works with any modern PC or Mac via a Java applet;
2. It allows one to pay for and print their own postage;
3. It allows for free next-day package pickup by your mail-carrier (as long as it's Priority or Express);
4. It provides free delivery confirmation (same caveat as above).

So, as soon as a buyer pays me, I can print the postage, pay for it, leave the package by the front door, then track it after it gets picked up by my carrier. And there's no surcharges for anything — the only payment is for the actual postage.

I've used C-N-S about eight times now, with zero problems. IMO, all serious eBay sellers need to look into this program. If interested, go to USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) and follow the Click-N-Ship link.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 151
Joined: Nov 24, 2004
Last Visit: Feb 02, 2010

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:42 pm 
 

I would do the C-N-S, but where I work, we go to the post office on a daily basis anyway and we ship primarily via media rate. There are only a few times that we send via rates other than media and then there's the international orders you can't seem to do online. The only items that go out via priority on a regular basis is what I sell on eBay, and (as I said before) we go to the PO in the afternoons anyways.


The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro


 WWW ICQ YIM  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:45 pm 
 

Xaxaxe wrote:As sort of an off-shoot from the current "S/H overcharging" thread (which has mutated into a "media mail" thread), I figured I'd (briefly) mention how well the USPS' new Click-N-Ship program seems to be working.

After using it for two weeks, I give C-N-S five-out-of-five stars. My goal for 2005 is to not step inside a post office — literally. Media mail under one pound can go into a mailbox, I can now print my own postage for anything over a pound, and I already buy my stamps online, so it looks like a reachable goal.

Briefly, for those who might not be aware, here's the dilly-o on C-N-S:

1. It works with any modern PC or Mac via a Java applet;
2. It allows one to pay for and print their own postage;
3. It allows for free next-day package pickup by your mail-carrier (as long as it's Priority or Express);
4. It provides free delivery confirmation (same caveat as above).

So, as soon as a buyer pays me, I can print the postage, pay for it, leave the package by the front door, then track it after it gets picked up by my carrier. And there's no surcharges for anything — the only payment is for the actual postage.

I've used C-N-S about eight times now, with zero problems. IMO, all serious eBay sellers need to look into this program. If interested, go to USPS - The United States Postal Service (U.S. Postal Service) and follow the Click-N-Ship link.


CNS is a very good service....I don't use it more often because Ihave to go to the PO everyday anyway (I have a PO Box there) and I mail enough international and large weight packages to make trips to the PO necessary anyway.  But I would definitely recommend the service to anyone not intersted in waiting in line.

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:06 am 
 

Hmm, I wonder what reason there is to use click-n-ship for eBay transactions?  Why not just use ebay/paypal to print the shipping labels?  It is essentially the same as c-n-s, but it is linked to your ebay transactions.  Just print shipping label from your sales and you can select the desired method of shipment including media mail.  Delivery confirmation is free with Priority as is the label processing fee.  For media mail/parcel post delivery confirmation costs an additional 13 cents and the label processing fee is 20 cents (essentially, there is a mandatory 33 cents additional fee to ship media, but it is less than the 55 cents the PO would normally charge).

I buy stick on labels from others on eBay and print them right out - slap them on the package and leave them in the door for the mailman to pick up.  No writing out addresses or any other fuss.  It saves me an immense amount of time - furthermore, everything can be tracked from "My Ebay" and all shipments are linked.  Both you and the buyer receive an email linked to your transaction stating the product will be shipped and all payments come directly out of my Paypal balance.

The only thing you can't do is select Priority Flat rate boxes as an option - but I emailed Paypal and then said "they are evaluating this as an option". . .  uh huh.   But, I am sure it will be available sooner or later.

Badmike:  I would recommend that you look into this. . . it is a great time and money saver.  Even if you are going to the PO regularly for international deliveries, you can still just slap all you domestic stuff on the counter and it is ready to go.  Perhaps you add confirmation already - in which case this will save you money in the long run. . . an if you don't, it allows easy confirmation for almost nothing.    I can't believe how much time it has saved me - I actually used to write out my addresses by hand and had to look up each sale individually for each addresses.  Pain in the ass, that was.


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:18 am 
 

beyondthebreach wrote:Hmm, I wonder what reason there is to use click-n-ship for eBay transactions?  Why not just use ebay/paypal to print the shipping labels?


Other than the fact that it's totally incompatible with Macs, it's a wonderful service. For all of us Apple loyalists, Click-N-Ship is, TTBOMK, the only current way to print USPS-accepted labels from home. Or at least the only one with no surcharges.

Actually, the two services — CNS and the eBay/PayPal method — are very, very similar. At the end of the day, each provides the key feature: the ability to print and pay for labels without any post office visits.

If eBay ever lowers itself to acknowledge the Mac OS — none of its subscription-based software works with the Mac — I would be happy to print labels directly from the site.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:50 pm 
 

No sooner do I say "why would anyone use c-n-s instead of ebay/paypal shipping labels. . . " than I am forced to do it myself.

As I mentioned, ebay still doesn't have the flat rate boxes as an option and I just had my first order that needed one.  So I went the the USPS web site and Flat Rate Box is an option. . . so there you go. . .

C-N-S has Flat Rate boxes and as Xaxaxe said, the also work with a MAC.

8)


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:53 pm 
 

beyondthebreach wrote:Hmm, I wonder what reason there is to use click-n-ship for eBay transactions?  Why not just use ebay/paypal to print the shipping labels?  It is essentially the same as c-n-s, but it is linked to your ebay transactions.  Just print shipping label from your sales and you can select the desired method of shipment including media mail.  Delivery confirmation is free with Priority as is the label processing fee.  For media mail/parcel post delivery confirmation costs an additional 13 cents and the label processing fee is 20 cents (essentially, there is a mandatory 33 cents additional fee to ship media, but it is less than the 55 cents the PO would normally charge).

I buy stick on labels from others on eBay and print them right out - slap them on the package and leave them in the door for the mailman to pick up.  No writing out addresses or any other fuss.  It saves me an immense amount of time - furthermore, everything can be tracked from "My Ebay" and all shipments are linked.  Both you and the buyer receive an email linked to your transaction stating the product will be shipped and all payments come directly out of my Paypal balance.

The only thing you can't do is select Priority Flat rate boxes as an option - but I emailed Paypal and then said "they are evaluating this as an option". . .  uh huh.   But, I am sure it will be available sooner or later.

Badmike:  I would recommend that you look into this. . . it is a great time and money saver.  Even if you are going to the PO regularly for international deliveries, you can still just slap all you domestic stuff on the counter and it is ready to go.  Perhaps you add confirmation already - in which case this will save you money in the long run. . . an if you don't, it allows easy confirmation for almost nothing.    I can't believe how much time it has saved me - I actually used to write out my addresses by hand and had to look up each sale individually for each addresses.  Pain in the ass, that was.


Thanks BTB, I'll look into this. Sometimes I'm about a year or so behind technology (Just upgraded to a computer with Windows XP office, from one that still used Windows 98, if it ain't broke I surely don't fix it....) Sounds a helluva lot easier than writing everything out by hand, which I do now, but really doesn't take very long (I've gotten a system down that my wife likens to an assembly line, I can get 20 orders packaged ready for the PO in 20 minutes).  Then again sounds like a time saver, only my wife would make me use that 20 minutes to do the dishes or vaccuum, hmmm.  

My one problem I guess would be the fill in postman that comes on Wed, the regular guy is great, the fill in guy won't even deliver packages to the door, he leaves them out by the box and I bet it would take a presidential order to get him to walk to my front door to actually pick up mail....I've complained about him dozens of time and due to "cutbacks" this route is stuck with this moron until he keels over from a heart attack, quits, or is found in his little mail car with a hooker, fully loaded bong and kiddie porn.

Mike B.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1709
Joined: Feb 04, 2004
Last Visit: Aug 23, 2016
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 3:00 pm 
 

Badmike - the fill-in postman is powerless. . . I have a pleasant arrangement with my guy, but all I have to do is notify the Post Office the night before (or even early that morning) that I have a package pick-up and the carrier HAS to come to your door and get it.  It is part of the service that the Post Office is promoting in conjunction with eBay and/or Click-n-ship.

Give 'em hell . . .   :D


"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7967
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Sep 21, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:11 am 
 

beyondthebreach wrote:Badmike - the fill-in postman is powerless. . . I have a pleasant arrangement with my guy, but all I have to do is notify the Post Office the night before (or even early that morning) that I have a package pick-up and the carrier HAS to come to your door and get it.  It is part of the service that the Post Office is promoting in conjunction with eBay and/or Click-n-ship.

Give 'em hell . . .   :D


Sweet.  I'll do it just to watch the guys' fat jiggle as he has to haul it up to my door.  I'll make sure I'm mailing some heavy boxes of magazines those days... :D

Mike B.

 WWW  


Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 2884
Joined: Nov 04, 2004
Last Visit: May 09, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 6:12 pm 
 

** bump **

Xaxaxe wrote:Other than the fact that it's totally incompatible with Macs, it's a wonderful service.


I'm told, via e-mail, that this is no longer true: Mac users can now do their shipping directly from My eBay/PayPal, just like our Wintel friends. Woot!

I haven't tried it myself — I'm "between batches" right now — but I am assured it works just fine.

 WWW  
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 1 of 1