Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:55 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:Troll. Ignore.

oh lighten up. or just hush.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:30 am 

Busman wrote:I believe I may have found a collectible 3rd edition product.

Dungeon Tiles: Set 1.

It's OOP, and I can't find it anywhere on the net for sale for less than $50. There are two Ebay that are nearing $30 with over a day or two before they end.

With 4e being even heavier push on minis, I can only imagine these will become more in demand. Also, the nature of the dungeon tiles is that people use them and punch them out when they do, so finding one unpunched and/or still in shrink will become harder and harder.

EDIT: I don't know if they increased the print runs on later sets or plan on reprinting these at a future date, or what the possible collection value of the other tiles sets could be. But I found it interesting none-the-less.

Nice spot on that one....I'll give it a look...

Wow, I started this thread three years ago?  And about the same amount of 3E is collectible...very little.

Looks like the DCC limiteds are holding their value..Rappan Athuk limited box set....a few pieces here and there that didn't get reprinted or had low print runs.  I say it's still to early to say though.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:18 am 

serleran wrote:I would assume that any surviving d20 publisher that continues with 4e will end up doing a re-release of whatever products they produced that were best for them. That means Necromancer will likely do a 4e version of Rappan Athuk, for example. From all the retailers I have spoken to, most of d20 stuff is worthless... so, I don't expect there to be many, if any, collectibles.

The funny thing is if everyone thinks d20 is worthless and chucks it into the trash now, then it will be worth something in 20 years because not many people will have saved it in minty condition.  Still, I don't think most of d20 will be worth much more than original retail for reasons I stated three years ago upthread.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:00 am 

mandalaymoon wrote:
The funny thing is if everyone thinks d20 is worthless and chucks it into the trash now, then it will be worth something in 20 years because not many people will have saved it in minty condition.  Still, I don't think most of d20 will be worth much more than original retail for reasons I stated three years ago upthread.

I agree with that somewhat, but also in part to the use of PDFs. Sure anything can be and probably has been scanned in, but d20 companies have created and sold good quality PDFs that are searchable or can be made printer friendly.  Even if a book goes out of print it still is available to those that just want to have it in any form.

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:24 am 

Plaag wrote:
I agree with that somewhat, but also in part to the use of PDFs. Sure anything can be and probably has been scanned in, but d20 companies have created and sold good quality PDFs that are searchable or can be made printer friendly.  Even if a book goes out of print it still is available to those that just want to have it in any form.

ShaneG.

Good point Shane, because lack of availability was one of the driving forces that made 1st edition stuff valuable back in the 90s...

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:42 am 

How about the 3D map folio?  There again, you have something that is meant to be used with minis, cut out and glued, sold shrinkwrapped, etc.

Let mirth prevail!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:11 pm 

BTW, I haven't been following Rappan Athuk Reloaded on ebay...how often does it come up, and what sort of prices does it go for in shrink?

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:50 pm 

I picked up a shrink copy about two weeks ago for $96 and one where the shrink had been removed (Blasphemy :cry: ) two weeks prior for about $100.  There's a non-shrink copy on Ebay currently with some cover damage...

The box is similarly in unworn condition, and is undamaged except that something was spilled on the outside of the box top, and it dried before it could be wiped off, so there is an irregular area of about 2 square inches (13 square centimetres) that has a crusty residue.  This area roughly coincides with the head of Orcus on the cover image; the cover image is still visible through the residue.

8O  8O  8O

** expired/removed eBay auction **
[/quote]

I guess I have been watching for this item on Ebay for only the past month and a half and have now seen four copies.  Others may be able to provide a better auction history than this sample.

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:22 pm 

Back in December this one sold for $127.50:  

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:06 pm 

Last week - cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAPPAN-ATHUK-RELOADED-BO ... p1638.m122

I've seen RAL go on eBay for a slow as $60 in EX condition, but the cartography is fantastic and it's well worth owning a copy just to see how how mapmaking should be done. Even as someone who only deals and collects 1E, I picked this up as reference material. The map making is up there with Thieves Quarter and the JG greats. Lots of detail. Plenty of expandability. Plenty of unexpected delights. Good old fashioned D&D mapping like you did in your school jotters.
You can buy the PDF when it's on sale. It'll cost you $39.99.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:11 pm 

Badmike wrote:So, should we be salting away a copy of stuff like Nemoran's Vault, Spear of the Lohgin, or The Gryphon's Legacy (actually, the last is a real sleeper, probably the best one shot 3rd edition adventure I've ever read, written by Wolfgang Baur as the first adventure of a series by a company that apparantly went under soon afterwards...)?  Or should we just toss the lot and hope we aren't saying 20 years from now "Yep, I had a copy of that Akrasia Thief of Time, but who knew?"
Mike B.

I do my best to separate my collecting from my investing.  Yes, my collection is also an investment, but not primarily for money purposes.  My collection is an investment in fun.  My investments are to make money.

My philosophy on buying stuff is that I buy what I want to use and/or read or can sell immediately for a profit.  I don't buy for long term investment purposes.  I buy stuff I want for my collection to enjoy.  I buy stuff that is a great deal and re-sell it fairly quickly.  I realize that there are some products you can buy and re-sell almost immediately for a profit (Delta Green Eyes comes to mind) but the vast majority of gaming products have a fairly predictable course of value.

The value change goes something like this; first the item will sell for what you can pay for it at the store and this will last from one day to 3 months after the item is no longer available.  For the next twenty years, the item will sell at 50 to 5 percent of the original retail price.  After about 20 years, the item slowly climbs back up to its original price and beyond.  Of course, there are MANY factors which alter this like product quality, print run, condition of the item, etc...  If this is basically true, that means the best time to invest, if that's what you want to do, is at the point where the item rises in value after about twenty years.

Even for those items that are the exception where they rise in value almost immediately, the typical profit margins are rarely worth the time, trouble and money.

I recommend that if you are interested in investing to make money, take your extra cash and buy some mutual funds.  Yes, they are boring, but they make money over the long haul.  Investor gurus, of which I am not one, say that the risk of investing in the stock market is virtually none over any three year period.  Plus, and this is the real clincher for me, anything you collect requires storage space and care.  By keeping collectible stuff you risk fires, storms and other disasters reducing the investment to nothing.  Furthermore, it just takes up space(my closet is full).  Furthermore, you have to worry about thieves.  Furthermore, you have to pay for insurance to worry less at which point your insurance premiums eat up whatever gain you may make.

Yes, there are likely going to be some 3E products which will increase a lot in value, and may even do so in a relatively short(10 years) period of time, but if I were you(and I'm not), I'd sell everything I didn't want for my collection at whatever the market will pay and invest all those funds in an optimal investment tool (no-load mutual funds, CDs, etc...).  Chances are you'll come out way ahead.  Plus, IF there later turns up something from those old items you want back, you can buy it with all the extra funds you earned and have lots of money left over.  In fact, you can probably buy it ALL back in 20 years and probably have money left over.

You do what you want, but I don't equate big collections with good collections. 8O   I'm not poo pooing anyone's collection or method of collecting.  I'm just stating my philosophy which may work for some people and not for others. 8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:44 pm 

Other than a few low-production items, I don't see anything 3E increasing in value, ever. Look at the 1E mods. How many of them go for even cover price?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:46 pm 

Since they are between $5-$8 I'd say a pretty good amount of them do.  Now if you take into account a 24-32 pager runs twice that now and base it off that then that greatly reduces the field.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:52 pm 

Anyone want to create a list of some of the more collectible 2e-3.5e books? Not general but specific titles and prints. Or that better kept secret.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:24 am 

Maybe not Rare but commanding much more than cover price:

Dungeon Tiles 8O

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:28 am 

Here is some high prices

Ptolus: Monte Cook's City By the Spire

This alos very expensive when it came out

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:52 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Last week - cgi.ebay.co.uk/RAPPAN-ATHUK-RELOADED-BO ... p1638.m122

I've seen RAL go on eBay for a slow as $60 in EX condition, but the cartography is fantastic and it's well worth owning a copy just to see how how mapmaking should be done. Even as someone who only deals and collects 1E, I picked this up as reference material. The map making is up there with Thieves Quarter and the JG greats. Lots of detail. Plenty of expandability. Plenty of unexpected delights. Good old fashioned D&D mapping like you did in your school jotters.
You can buy the PDF when it's on sale. It'll cost you $39.99.

Thanks for that. I'm always interested in something with a great map. Maybe we should have a thread just for D&D items with great maps.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:05 pm 

PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you some interesting maps.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext