What's Nev reading?
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:35 am 

Consider this a mini-blog.
(Feel free to move along if you're not interested.)
I'd like to share what D&D stuff I'm reading along with any comments I have. Maybe it will inspire you to read the same stuff and it can be a bit like a reading group. Feel free to add any of your own observations.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:44 am 

I recently finished reading the original Monster Manual. (It's easy to dip into this kind of book when I've got spare minutes - like when I'm rocking Xander to sleep.)

Two interesting things :
- references to earth times and places - I'd always thought D&D was always set in fantasy worlds yet there are references to india etc.
- there were some monsters I'd never heard of! And lots I've never encountered while playing.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:51 am 

So now I'm reading the Fiend Folio (1st ed). Before now, I've only ever glanced through it. So far I've read the A's and B's.

What's surprising is that the creatures are actually interesting. But on the other hand, a lot of them are very specific and to my mind are kind of unplayable.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 1:54 pm 

Some of the treasure type catagories are very generous in the Fiend Folio
(see Caterwaul).

If you were to cast animate dead on some crabmen would you get exo-skeletons? I tried that joke on another forum as well and it went over poorly.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:53 pm 

nev wrote:I recently finished reading the original Monster Manual. (It's easy to dip into this kind of book when I've got spare minutes - like when I'm rocking Xander to sleep.)

You do that too, eh.  Which printing of the MM, by the way?  I'd love to join the book club ;) I don't think there's a single monster in the MM I haven't heard of, but anything's possible.

YIM  

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:00 am 

It's a 5th printing MM (the most common) - wizard logo and states 4th edition but has TM. But I also occasionally compared it to my 1st print UK softcover.

Some monsters I hadn't heard of, or couldn't describe if asked, or just odd to see - Masher, Irish Deer, Morkoth, Slithering Tracker

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 9:39 am 

nev wrote:It's a 5th printing MM (the most common) - wizard logo and states 4th edition but has TM. But I also occasionally compared it to my 1st print UK softcover.

Some monsters I hadn't heard of, or couldn't describe if asked, or just odd to see - Masher, Irish Deer, Morkoth, Slithering Tracker

Gotta admit the Masher had me stumped.  Not a very common adversary.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:31 am 

nev wrote:Some monsters I hadn't heard of, or couldn't describe if asked, or just odd to see - Masher, Irish Deer, Morkoth, Slithering Tracker

We have the original unpublished art of the Slithering Tracker by Willingham. The Masher was done by Erol Otus, which we sold in a private deal.

BTW: We will be listing the Tracker in the coming weeks. This will probably be your only chance to own TSR art that dates back to the 70's. The MM was the first hardcover book published by TSR and this art was intended for it.

Happy collecting,
Shawn

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 8:26 am 

As an aside, I'm currently reading "Night Masks", the third book in the Cleric Quintet series by RA Salvatore. This one's not too bad - the whole thing with the Book of Deneir is interesting. It's not exactly fantastic though. But it does beat the second book. That just felt a bit silly to me - some elven 'kingdom' which only has a few hundred people? What's up with that?

In fact that seems to be a major downfall of Salvatore - he can do the intimate, small group stuff but when it comes to describing large populations/cities/big wars, he's crap. Hmmmm I wonder if Bob's ever visited the acaeum. Sorry Bob!