Poll:  Do you play modern campaigns?
Poll: Do you play Modern campaigns?

yes 35%       35%  [ 7 ]
no 65%       65%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 20

Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:36 pm 

I like modern campaigns, sometimes with a bit of magic.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:24 pm 

First, welcome to the Forum  :)

and to answer you're question,

Playing in one right now called All Flesh Must Be Eaten. It's a zombie survival game. We're playing tonight actually. Chomp……Chomp…….Chomp 8O

I've played several modern-type campaigns thought the years Top Secret, Gurps Modern, Vampire, Werewolf, Marvel, Champions, Villains and Vigilantes. The original Top Secret was always fun if you had a game master who could pull off some nice international intrigue. The White Wolf Stuff had to have the right group of players i.e. Goth kids. The supers games I always have lots of fun with creating a legion of heroes to save the world (I always love designing my hero's lair). VandV was a blast only played once years back.

Are you talking about Shadow Run? Modern with a little magic.....well a lot of magic :lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:37 pm 

Nah, it was a campaign I pulled out of my ass.  I just made a city, then added magic (temples, clerics, a few wizards that haven't been killed yet), magi-tek armour, powered armour, gauss rifles, The "What's New?" Dragon...etc.  As for a ruleset, I used psuedo-D&D rules (I use ability scores and d20s for DC checks), but other than that, I ad-lib everything...makes DMing much easier.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:09 am 

arconom wrote:Nah, it was a campaign I pulled out of my ass.  I just made a city, then added magic (temples, clerics, a few wizards that haven't been killed yet), magi-tek armour, powered armour, gauss rifles, The "What's New?" Dragon...etc.  As for a ruleset, I used psuedo-D&D rules (I use ability scores and d20s for DC checks), but other than that, I ad-lib everything...makes DMing much easier.

Just a few random thoughts as I'm sipping my coffee:

Good idea...making own campaign from scratch.
Bad idea...letting clerics wield uzis. (They aren't pointed, are they?)

Good idea...ad-libing everything.
Bad idea...time-travelling zombie otyugh paladins...with frickin' lasers.

Good idea...using pseudo-D&D rules.
Bad idea...pretending 3rd ed. isn't already pseudo-D&D.  (That's my jab for the day).

Good idea...powered armour.
Bad idea...powdered armour.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:23 am 

I have a half hearted Gamma World campaign going now :roll:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:09 am 

Two things,

deimos3428

Bad idea...pretending 3rd ed. isn't already pseudo-D&D. (That's my jab for the day).

:lol:

Blackmoor

I have a half hearted Gamma World campaign going now

Nice! do you have any extra Gamma Mins for sale?  :)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:53 am 

There was a group of Earth clerics, some of which had mp5s.  They were slaughtered by the PCs and some vrock.  To make a long story short, the PCs released a balor, who took over the city.  Lots of strange stuff in that campaign...it was fun.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:13 pm 

My group played a modern campaign once with 1st Ed. rules.  A little difficult to say the least but it was a lot of fun.  The highlights of the campaign were 1) The evil fighter killing a dozen innocent bystanders at a restaurant with his bare hands.  The girdle of frost giant strength was really handy there.  And 2) The same evil fighter getting cut in half by a SWAT team with automatic weapons.  Needless to say we didnt resurrect him after that.

It was a lot of fun when the cleric was trying to figure out how to drive a car.  Reminded me of trying to use the gadgets and weapons in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks...just a lot more difficult.  :mrgreen:

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:27 pm 

I've mixed in some modern era excursions into my campaigns once in while but the players tend not to like it too much.  Messes up the "balance" and really not why most of them play.

Have done some Top Secret in the past.  It's a pretty interesting system and inexpensive to try out.

With respect to the previous post, protection from normal missiles does wonders against bullets.  Illusions are pretty effective too.  Also, A high dexterity and tough armor class can be pretty effective against a SWAT team...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:51 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:Two things,

deimos3428

Bad idea...pretending 3rd ed. isn't already pseudo-D&D. (That's my jab for the day).

:lol:

Blackmoor

I have a half hearted Gamma World campaign going now

Nice! do you have any extra Gamma Mins for sale?  :)

We have some we actually use but we mostly use current Warhammer 40k Mini's.  Wife uses a Necron Destroyer as her ex butcher robot character.  She has to role a will save every time she sees a butcher shop to avoid going back and doing her programed duty.

Like I said half-hearted but still alot of fun.  Bonparr will never be the same again.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:17 am 

The police had a difficult time with thtir jobs when the PCs began their rampage through the city.  They had a +1 ice cream truck (indestructible).  The only things that gave the party trouble were rockets (and earth clerics).  The party had a really difficult time formulating a plan when I told them they had to go into a military base (How does an infamous terrorist get anywhere near a military base).