Buying Copyright?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:56 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Is the buyer telling porkies? Seems doubtful that WOTC would sell the copyright.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:09 pm 

Ok……wow, how do we address this one? I seriously doubt the seller bought the "rights" to copy this module. This line in the description bothers me "I have purchased the rights to duplicate this module once for print and sale to fellow gamers and collectors alike" is he saying he can make one copy for sale? :?  â€¦â€¦.I just don't know what to say, I guess anything for a $buck$.  :twisted:

I think the Cougar will be pissed if this seller is allowed to sell copies of a promised H1 though :lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:29 pm 

It's total horseshit.

First of all, RPGnow already has a deal with Wizards to distribute these items as PDFs. WOTC would never grant someone else a similar license.

Second, the "one time" thing makes NO sense from a business perspective. It would cost WOTC too much in time, effort, and salaries to arrange what amounts to about a $100 deal. WOTC, love them or hate them, does not run its business "one copy at a time."

Third, it just SOUNDS like horseshit. Read the listing again and ask yourself if this sounds like a legitimate businessman. Or is a guy who wants to see how far his $4.99 purchase at RPGnow can go?

I'm reporting this clown right now.  :x

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 4:48 pm 

This Galactic Emporium has a good ebay rating (207)….I wonder why he'd try to pull something stupid like this? His only two negs are silly buyer/seller spats, not copyright infringement. Maybe he's confused as to the laws or something. It will be interesting to see where this goes?  

I'm going to ask the seller how he was given permission or "the rights" to these two modules.  :roll: :lol:

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:02 pm 

invincibleoverlord asked galactic emporium this question

I am very interested in this as well as you're other R3; as I am on a limited budget buying old games. My only concern is how is the auction legal? Do you really own the rights to these two modules for reproduction? I would love the chance to bid on these two items seeing I may never own the originals; however I will not take part in fraud. Please elaborate on you're rights/ownership concerning this auction.

I think it sounds formal enough.  :wink:  8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:29 pm 

And another story unfolds!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:39 pm 

The same seller also sells reprints of 'talisman' cards also.

I doubt Games Workshop gave their permission either.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 5:49 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote:I think it sounds formal enough.  :wink:  8)

Invincible, you are far more patient and understanding than I. Perhaps you're right about this being a well-meaning seller who is GREATLY confused about copyrights, but I still cannot fathom how any of this is legitimate.

Maybe I'm wrong (it wouldn't be the first time), but my level of skepticism is off the charts right now.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:06 pm 

I think our friend whitey missed the second auction.  He's high bidder on the R3, but hasn't bid at all on the R1.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:14 am 

I think he ran into a maximum amount of items bid on issue.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:15 am 

invincible wrote:

I am very interested in this as well as you're other R3; as I am on a limited budget buying old games. My only concern is how is the auction legal? Do you really own the rights to these two modules for reproduction? I would love the chance to bid on these two items seeing I may never own the originals; however I will not take part in fraud. Please elaborate on you're rights/ownership concerning this auction.

Galacitc responded:

I have purchased rights to digital copies With explicit permission to produce one copy for personal use. If the interest is high enough in these auctions, I will purchase another, as it is very expensive to do so. This auction is for my digital copy and 1 hardcopy of the module. This auction is completely legal, as I am a collector myself, and having completed my 1st edition collection of ad&d modules a while ago at incredible expense, i found that $150-$250 USD was a little much for this module, SO i WENT TO GREAT LENGTHS TO get this permission.

I got this response, dose it make any sense to anyone? If there is any validity to this shouldn't a/one copy for personal use be just that. Personal use doesn't include selling it dose it? And were would he buy rights to this claimed digital copy?

JMO- the Galactic Emporium is obviously a legit buyer/seller. I feel and this is just my opinion he is greatly mistaken, misinformed, or thinks he's found a loophole in the rights to a digital file of R1 and 3. My question still is where he purchased this file?  :roll:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:52 am 

This guy is trying to make some quick money. If he has really bought his PDF copy, then he did so at SVGames. WOTC's End User License Agreement for Software Download products allows the buyer to make a legal private copy (print-out) for personal use.

As with software, CDs, DVDs etc. it is, of course, illegal to sell/redistribute these.

The problem is reporting the guy. You can try eBay, but nothing will happen (or you are *very* lucky). You can report to WOTC legal department, as we've done before. The problem is, that WOTC has apparently stopped taking down these illegal auctions. As long as WOTC and eBay do not care about these illegal auctions, we can only rely on and thank guys like "whitednd" for taking justice into their own hands.

Selling off illegal copies of gaming material on eBay decreases the the value of our collections. I don't know, how you feel about such sellers, but I am definitely not indifferent about guys like "Galactic Emporium".

Maybe we should write an open letter to WOTC and offer our help as a community?

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:35 pm 

My own question and response:

"Hi, I am curious about this item. Do you mean to say that you have personally reprinted this item? If so, how did you purchase the rights and from whom? I am just curious as I have never heard of anything like this. Thanks"

The Response:

Yes, it is very difficult. But I was able to acquire a digital copy with explicit permission to make 1 copy for personal use. This is what I am selling: 1 hardcopy, and 1 softcopy. This is the first time in 4-5 years I have been on Ebay, that I have ever seen this done LEGALLY.

My own thoughts about this:  Even if we suppose that this was an accurate interpretation of this "purchase", I can not fathom that it would be allowed to exactly DUPLICATE everything - LOGO AND ALL!

Come on. . . if you purchase the right to publish something under a specific agreement, you still wouldn't be allowed to use the previous publisher's logo and change absolutely nothing!  No new print number. . . no new ISBN. . . no new publisher information. . .

Just a really nice color photocopy?  

Uh huh. . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:01 pm 

Ralf Toth wrote:This guy is trying to make some quick money. If he has really bought his PDF copy, then he did so at SVGames. WOTC's End User License Agreement for Software Download products allows the buyer to make a legal private copy (print-out) for personal use.

Exactly. I've bought 12 or 15 D&D products from RPGnow, but this doesn't mean I have any right to print them out or slap them onto a CD-R and re-sell them. However, this guy seems to think that personal use means the same thing as do whatever I want, and anyone with a working brain knows that isn't the case.

Plus — and I'm saying this for the second time — there is no way this guy has some sort of special "one-time-only" deal with WOTC. Why would WOTC want to screw over RPGnow and SVGames and other companies they've successfully worked with in the past? Why would a company that deals routinely with figures in the millions (owned by another company that deals with even bigger millions) bother with the time and effort of a $100 deal?

This guy is either deluding himself or out for a quick buck. Or both.