I have a Shipping Problem with a seller
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:22 pm 

No names will be given here. :roll:

I choose not to give the sellers name away in this thread as the forum members would most likely run me off the message boards if I did. :?

Would any of you ship a near mint box set in an padded envelope, and expect it not to be damaged in transit?
Any box set, I am not pointing to any specific set.

Of course the box arrived crushed and 2 sides of the top and bottom of the box are also torn from shipping abuse. And the other items in the same envelope (Several modules) were not protected either, other than simple plastic bags. Some are now bent in places, but there is no way to tell if that happened in shipping or when. But, the picture of the box set (from the auction) shows NO tears and NO crushing of the box. The description indicates a VERY nice condition.

Total weight of the Contents was less than 4 pounds, shipping charged to me was $10 from a USA address to a USA address. I would have paid more if the seller had wanted me to and had packed the items in a cardboard box.

I wrote to the seller last week, with no response so far. Although when I sent the money by Paypal the seller swiftly withdrew the funds from holding.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:31 pm 

8O Wow, that sucks are you kidding me? I hope the box wasn't a woody and the modules weren't R's or something, I know the items you like to buy. Dam I'd complain like hell; If you paid top dollar for nice copies there's no reason you should get stuck with dogs. I'd ask for a total refund or partial if you still want them.

Good luck.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:39 pm 

This seems typical of new sellers.  Very anxious to get the cash but not a care in the world about quality packing.  I bet half my packages from new sellers are packed poorly :evil:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:13 pm 

:?:  Are you referring to something I sent you? If so email again at [email protected]

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:18 pm 

I had a Canadian seller ship two boxes of grenadier 54mm box sets along with a dark sun adventure box set in a medium box packed securely with air once.

They offered to take the damaged goods back and I did return one ofthem, the minis I didnt really care about the boxes they came in.

Another time I had a new seller, do a similar thing only he used teh items I bought as packing material squeezing them into the box until they could not buddge, the one on top got smooshed and he gave me a partial refund.

Thats about all I can remember.

The bottom line is contact the seller first!  I figured you would have learned that by now.  :P

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:16 pm 

Contact the seller.  

But for $10 shipping, you ought to get better packaging.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:15 am 

Aneoth wrote:No names will be given here. :roll:

I choose not want to give the sellers name away in this thread as the forum members would most likely run me off the message boards if I did. :?

Would any of you ship a near mint box set in an padded envelope, and expect it not to be damaged in transit?
Any box set, I am not pointing to any specific set.

Of course the box arrived crushed and 2 sides of the top and bottom of the box are also torn from shipping abuse. And the other items in the same envelope (Several modules) were not protected either, other than simple plastic bags. Some are now bent in places, but there is no way to tell if that happened in shipping or when. But, the picture of the box set (from the auction) shows NO tears and NO crushing of the box. The description indicates a VERY nice condition.

Total weight of the Contents was less than 4 pounds, shipping charged to me was $10 from a USA address to a USA address. I would have paid more if the seller had wanted me to and had packed the items in a cardboard box.

I wrote to the seller last week, with no response so far. Although when I sent the money by Paypal the seller swiftly withdrew the funds from holding.

New sellers in particular don't seem to realize that a padded envelope doesn't do much; it may be ok for shipping a cd or a single paperback but larger items tend to get very easily crushed.  I once got a module that was simply slid into the padded envelope and mailed with no plastic cover or backing; honestly, it looked like a piece of jello when it arrived, it had been banged up so much the consistency was that of a piece of paper; it had no spine integrity and just flopped back and forth when held up!
  Even shipping in a box is not a panacea.  I recently have had to return two orders of magazines from two different sellers, both arrived here in a box but with no interior packing material; as a result the magazines in both orders were beaten to a pulp from sliding, rubbing, and getting crushed inside the box.
   I could give an entire seminar on correct packaging, but the bottom line is the more layers, the more effective.  A padded envelope is fine IF you place the item in a polyurethene bag; then put the bag in a prioritiy envelope; then put the envelope in the padded envelope with cardboard backing and for good measure mark "Do Not Bend" on the outside.  
  The Christmas season is even worse; if you go to the Post office last week or this week you have seen how the "gentle" PO people handle your precious packages; everything gets thrown in a pile and woe to the items beneath Grandma's entire Christmas present package that weighs 100 pounds.  I have had to spring for a priority box twice this week because the items in question (WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins and Call of Cthulhu by Gaslight) were pricey items and I was worried my usual packing methods might be thwarted by a load of badly placed fruitcakes or something.  
   But the main thing is to communicate with your seller; remember if you paid paypal and they didn't include a tracing item (like delivery confirmation or insurance) you always have the last word; you can cancel the payment and get a refund.  But only use that as a last, last resort, if the guy is a total asshole or something; it can cause some really bad feelings.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:01 am 

This was most certainly NOT a newby seller that did this...... :?
But other than that tidbit of info, I shall remain silent as to the persons ID.... :cry:

I am simply wondering 'is it possible that I DID something wrong' in expecting better care from a long established and supposedly highly regarded seller.....

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:24 am 

Aneoth, you can surely expect better treatment of your goods by an expert seller/collector.

Everything depends on how the seller reacts after you made him aware of his fault. His answer may vary between "I'm sorry", including a refund,  and "Fuck you. Piss Off." The first option would be OK, the second not.

So, if you haven't done already, send him an email.

- "When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson (July 18, 1937 - Feb 20, 2005)

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:53 am 

I just sent the SECOND E-Mail...... the first was sent out the same day as the envelope arrived. We shall see......

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:56 am 

Ralf Toth wrote:Aneoth, you can surely expect better treatment of your goods by an expert seller/collector......

Yes, one would think so wouldn't one?!?!  :?
:( I am still quite surprised and totaly confused by all this. 8O
My shock is still in the developemental stages...... 8O  8O

I ALWAYS pay with Paypal, when given that option by sellers.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:05 am 

Is it possible there is some sort of email confusion?  You can try to Private Message him on the forums. . . just in case.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:08 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:Is it possible there is some sort of email confusion?  You can try to Private Message him on the forums. . . just in case.

This is a tad off-topic, but a lot of people don't realize is that e-mail is not guaranteed.  

It's slightly more reliable than snail mail, but not much.  If you're lucky, the local mail admin and/or the remote mail admin have configured their servers to let you know your e-mail didn't get delivered...but this is not always possible, and mail can be lost in transit.  The difference is that e-mail is essentially vaporized, whereas actual mail just gets banged up a bit or arrives late.  

Imagine a postal worker with a phaser :!:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:25 am 

My e-mail is horrendous to say the least.
For $10, it could have gone in a Priority box, with DC and insurance. I'd be sending it back. How much did he spend on shipping after charging you $10?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:37 am 

I just had a seller refund me $3.00 on an overcharge of shipping!  Wow, honesty still exists in this world.  Thanks buddy!! :D  :D  :D

I did not even ask for it. 8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:13 pm 

I recently paid £6.50 in P&P of some D&D items in the UK.  A week later, I got a plastic bag from the PO containing 2 of the 3 items that I paid for plus the remnants of the woefully inadequate packaging that had been used.  The packaging was two pieces of roughly cut cardboard which had been stapled together with very small staples that were suitable only for paper.  So, when the inevitable happed and it burst open in transit, I believe that I had the right to claim negligence on the part of the seller.  Plus the stamps on the package only came to £2.73.  So, all he had to do was buy a roll of parcel tape for 99p and encase the whole package in tape.

I contacted the seller complaining that I had been overcharged on P&P and that I had lost an item due to his negligence.  I got a partial refund within a day which was a suitable outcome.  I could have filed a claim with the PO as all UK mail is covered up to £28 as standard.  But given that the lost item cost 99p, it frankly wasn't worth my time.

And talking of the cost of my time, there does come a point where double, triple, quadruple, etc. wrapping has to end and any cause of damage is due to negligent PO handling.  The postal service does have a duty to safely transport your mail.  If they don't, it's their fault and not the sellers.

And this is probably where my point of view differs from a lot of other peoples.  If I get an item where the seller looks like they have taken the necessary precautions to get it to me safely and it arrives beaten up by the PO, then that's my problem to sort out.  And in most cases where this has happened, I don't bother filing a claim as it simply takes too much time.

If a package gets wet then unless I have specifically told a seller to poly bag all the items, then it is also my problem to sort out if the package gets left on my doorstep in the rain or dropped in a puddle.  If this happens, it is an issue with the mail service and not the seller.

I would say that 90% of my transactions are buys.  But speaking as a seller, we do not run a postal service or an insurance business.  When the buyer pays for this they are not purchasing it from the seller.  The seller is simply purchasing it on behalf of the buyer.

In my last two rounds of auctions, I don't remember a single buyer requesting insurance or tracking despite it's inlcusion as an option on most of my invoices.  What this tells me is that these buyers preferred the cheapest option.  So, I figure that they are extremely unlikley to want to pay for the handling I would have to charge if they wanted me to spend time double/triple/quadruple wrapping their wins.  Therefore, I try and do it securely.  But I also try to keep it light and to do it quickly.

Some people want the moon on a stick!  :wink:

And that wasn't directed at anyone in particular before I get attacked.

Here endeth my rant.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:27 pm 

Oh, and to answer the question.  Shipping a boxset in a padded bag is negligent if you have a history of selling items.  Box sets need hard packaging to protect them.

If you don't have a history of selling , then I would say that it is a very common mistake. Naïve and maybe optimistic. But certainly not negligent.

The only time I would ship a box set in a padded bag would be where the box set had been previously flattened.  And even then I'm not sure if I would.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:07 pm 

John, only an idiot would ship a boxed set like that. Common sense dictates that it will probably get crushed. However, given the complete lack of common sense present in 99% of the populace, I see how it happened.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Next