mid-70s TSR D&D T-Shirt
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:59 pm 

From an Ebay auction, via a post on the 2 Warps to Neptune blog.

The front of the shirt shows the dragon from the cover of Dragon #1, along with the "Come Visit My Dungeon!" slogan, also seen on this sticker from the time period. The back has Greg Bell's Lizardman art from the inside cover of Greyhawk, also used as the "Lizard Logo".

The April 1978 Dungeon Hobby Shop Order Blank lists a "D & D Shirt M, L, XL" for $4.95, possibly this shirt.

On G+, Ernie Gygax commented "Yes this was a very common item at the original 723 Williams St Dungeon Hobby Shop. I really do not remember the price but I may speculate that $8 was very near the mark."

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:37 am 

Here is that shirt being worn

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:20 pm 

There is so much archival goodness in that photo:
1) If Rob still owns that shirt it can probably stand up on it's own from the cigarette smoke puffed in proximity
2) Steve Jackson's bemused expression makes him look like a cross between Bill Webb & Benedict Cumberbatch
3) Ian's gnarly fro
4) Gary's tic-tac-toe shirt

Wow.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:35 pm 

Was that photo taken at the Playboy Hall?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:11 pm 

Scalydemon wrote in mid-70s TSR D&D T-Shirt:Here is that shirt being worn

Brilliant spot! I've seen that photo before, even included it in a post on my blog, but never noticed Rob's shirt.

misterspock wrote in mid-70s TSR D&D T-Shirt:Was that photo taken at the Playboy Hall?

It's from the summer before, Gen Con IX (1976), the last year it was at the Horticultural Hall in Lake Geneva. The photo and caption above appear in 40 Years of Gen Con by Robin Laws. So this put a date of Aug 1976 for availability of the T-shirt.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:52 pm 

I would totally buy and wear this shirt if it was remade.   Especially with the lizard on the back!!

SH60B's quote of the weeK!!

SimperingToad wrote in Old Candidates: Silliest Auction Prices of the Year:Okay, I don't know if I've ever typed this before, but WTF?!!

Follow The Acaeum on Twitter @TheAcaeum