EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:40 pm 

FYI the first part of the rough draft announcement

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

New Big Dragon Games Unlimited to publish a fifth edition adventure module written by Steve Marsh

Dallas, Texas — October 5, 2015: New Big Dragon Games Unlimited is proud to announce the upcoming release of its first fifth edition adventure module Steve Marsh's Shattered Norns #1: Into the Shadows.

The book will be the first fifth edition product published by New Big Dragon, publisher of many popular OSR resources, including the d30 DM Companion and the d30 Sandbox Companion. It is also the first formally published version of the Shattered Norns material, developed and written by RPG industry legend Stephen R. Marsh.

Mr. Marsh is best-known for his contributions to the Expert rulebook for the classic edition of the world's original fantasy roleplaying game, as well as the concept of the game's dual-axis alignment system, and the introduction of the planes of existence to tabletop gaming.

They got it all boiled down to 48 pages to meet page count and other limits.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm 

Shattered Norns, as a setting, deals with a world that was in the process of being created when it was torn apart by magic and treacher—a world still in formation when it was shattered by an incursion of chaos from outside the universe as it is commonly known, born by an intrusion of abominations.

The intent of the Into the Shadows adventure is to introduce characters to one corner of the world and provide them with a base for additional adventure hooks and experiences. For players, it not only acts to introduce the Shattered Norns setting, but also introduces Mr. Marsh's vision of the Shadow Plane and guidelines for adventuring "in shadow."

The world of Shattered Norns, and the Shadow Plane setting of the Into the Shadows adventure, sees the culmination of a great deal of Mr. Marsh's work.  The setting has its roots in the 1970s, even predating the period he spent working directly for the company who published the world's original fantasy role-playing game. Star Strands, the original version of the setting, ended up in the infamous bonfire of 1985, when leadership of that company changed hands. In 1992, Mr. Marsh was reworking the material when tragedy befell his life, seeing him bury three children over the period of five years. Though the setting saw some ongoing development from the late 1990s and beyond, his  daughter's participation in the "Next" playtesting beginning in 2012 provided Mr. Marsh the opportunity to fully resurrect his material.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:41 pm 

that's great news Steve. Looking forward to it

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:44 pm 

Over the last decade or so, much of the Shattered Norns setting material has been published to Mr. Marsh's personal web site, been used at convention games refereed by Mr. Marsh, and been issued in collector copies printed, bound and signed by the author. However, this will be the first time any of the material will be published in a formally published edition.

In addition to the material directly related to the adventure, the 48-page book will include listings for more than 20 new monsters penned by Mr. Marsh, as well as information on adventuring in the Plane of Shadow.

The target release date for the PDF version of the adventure is

Anyway. I'm hoping to get the borderlands of fire and ice and Revenant for NTRPG CON with Revenaunt in OSR form.

If I can get a scan of ice.

Whether that will see print past the con materials is an open question right now.

But one I've hope about.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:54 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript:Given the financial resources of many collectors, and the literary expertise and business acumen of some members, one would imagine the combined effort of the right team, and the use of an online crowd funding platform, could see any 'viable' project successfully through to fruition. The question really is, do you have a 'viable product' that can be published at an acceptable standard, and a cost that the market will bear?

You can outsource rewriting, editing, development, etc. to others. It's all a matter of how much you wish to be involved and how much control you are happy to give away. Just on board here we have numerous publishers of varying expertise, all of whom have varying degrees of success, and outside of the forum you have Goodman Games (who may or may not do 1E/2E/3E work anymore) and Frog God Games who are eminently capable for bringing product to market.

I, for one, would love to see Planes of Existence and City of the Revenant become commercially available products. The question remains, is it financially viable for them to do so?

For what it is worth, City of the Revenant will be at the coming NTRPG Con.  I'm going to run it.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:57 am 

Steve Marsh wrote in EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript:
mbassoc2003 wrote in EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript:Given the financial resources of many collectors, and the literary expertise and business acumen of some members, one would imagine the combined effort of the right team, and the use of an online crowd funding platform, could see any 'viable' project successfully through to fruition. The question really is, do you have a 'viable product' that can be published at an acceptable standard, and a cost that the market will bear?

You can outsource rewriting, editing, development, etc. to others. It's all a matter of how much you wish to be involved and how much control you are happy to give away. Just on board here we have numerous publishers of varying expertise, all of whom have varying degrees of success, and outside of the forum you have Goodman Games (who may or may not do 1E/2E/3E work anymore) and Frog God Games who are eminently capable for bringing product to market.

I, for one, would love to see Planes of Existence and City of the Revenant become commercially available products. The question remains, is it financially viable for them to do so?

For what it is worth, City of the Revenant will be at the coming NTRPG Con.  I'm going to run it.

Does this mean that a product will be available or will you dm this module for the convention only?
Best

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:59 pm 

It means I have a rough draft completed and will have a tournament module copy for those who play in it at the con.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:41 am 

...so this means that anyone not attending the con will never be able to have a copy of it... That s the sad life of non-US collectors...   :(

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:24 am 

Vile wrote in EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript:Add me to the list of people extremely interested in seeing this project make it to publication! :)

New Big Dragon has Plane of Shadows complete except for the artwork and a map.

You can contact them at New Big Dragon Games Unlimited - Old School Role Playing

I have City of the Revenant and Plane of Ice (as a joint project) in rough draft for NTRPG Con as well. I'll have the extra copy for William (of course) and PDFs he can share.

I confess that my writing has slowed down because the publication delays (target date was before Christmas of last year) depress me.

I'll probably complete Plane of Fire / Starstrands for the 2017 con. I have it in form to run under my pre-OSR rules, but otherwise it was a casualty of the slowdown and an incredibly busy time at work as we lost an attorney in the office to brain cancer (he died this month).

"Into Shadow" gets published and I'll be energized again. :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:29 am 

aia wrote in EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript:...so this means that anyone not attending the con will never be able to have a copy of it... That s the sad life of non-US collectors...   :(

Heck. I can make you an extra copy when I go to Kinkos tonight. I'll charge you the cost of printing and the postage.

I'll probably make 20 copies total, plus the "0" copy for William which will have original notes bound in it.

If you really want it. Just make sure to let me know before Wednesday so I don't give it to someone else.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:34 am 

One bit of bad news. The John T Sapienza correspondence with Gary Gygax got thrown out when John moved.

I was visiting with John when Win and I took him out to lunch a couple weeks ago and when he moved he threw out all of his correspondence files.

So that is several hundred pages of Gary's letters gone.

On the plus side, John is recovering from his wife's death and still active in SF fandom.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:49 am 

aia wrote in EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript:...so this means that anyone not attending the con will never be able to have a copy of it... That s the sad life of non-US collectors...   :(

Heck. I can make you an extra copy when I go to Kinkos tonight. I'll charge you the cost of printing and the postage.

I'll probably make 20 copies total, plus the "0" copy for William which will have original notes bound in it.

If you really want it. Just make sure to let me know before Wednesday so I don't give it to someone else.

Pm in your mailbox!  Thanks!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:07 am 

Copies made.

Anyone else will need to settle for PDFs via email.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:10 pm 

Steve Marsh wrote in EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript:Copies made.

Anyone else will need to settle for PDFs via email.

Actually, they will have to download the PDFs here:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/829726510438199/files/

BTW, I'll pm the two who asked for print copies separately (and the print copies do not include everything on the PDFs).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:44 pm 

Hand delivery complete.

Mailed copy has tracking number

First game run. Frank Metzer project scenario run.

Tomorrow the Starstrands version.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:55 pm 

They've had some delays, but I'm hoping that everything will work out.

Now to find a publisher for City of the Revenant.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:03 pm 

Good luck Steve, you deserve it.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:56 pm 

Steve---

Are you looking for a publisher other than New Big Dragon?

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

PreviousNext