EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:07 pm 

grodog wrote:

I'd be happy to help in any such endeavor. I'd like to think that DWP's well-positioned to perform the kind of printing and publishing functions that you're all talking about, but I also don't want to shove us down your throats if you're intent on doing this yourselves vs. with an existing publisher

I know what you're saying Allan, DWP would be the better option. Really its up to Mike he's got the whole bag; I was just offering my aid. As far as making any coin on the project I really don't care unless others are making a dime, maybe even a charitable cause if there's any profit. Obviously it would be a whole different story if DWP published the book. Frankly I don't see that I have much as far as a bargaining chip with the Plane of Fire chapter other than a reference as to how the book was going to be originally edited.

I'd just like to see it, and would help in any way………Can you imagine holding a new 1st edition hardback orange-spine with Easley or the like art adorning the cover! I can see the Title now……….Planes of Existence by Gygax and Marsh………. :D  8O  :D

Mike lets compare notes between the manuscript and the edit draft copy when we get them.

BTW did you say you're in Australia 8) ? I'm in Florida 8)

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:02 am 

invincibleoverlord wrote:grodog wrote:

I'd be happy to help in any such endeavor. I'd like to think that DWP's well-positioned to perform the kind of printing and publishing functions that you're all talking about, but I also don't want to shove us down your throats if you're intent on doing this yourselves vs. with an existing publisher

I know what you're saying Allan, DWP would be the better option. Really its up to Mike he's got the whole bag; I was just offering my aid. As far as making any coin on the project I really don't care unless others are making a dime, maybe even a charitable cause if there's any profit. Obviously it would be a whole different story if DWP published the book. Frankly I don't see that I have much as far as a bargaining chip with the Plane of Fire chapter other than a reference as to how the book was going to be originally edited.

I'd just like to see it, and would help in any way………Can you imagine holding a new 1st edition hardback orange-spine with Easley or the like art adorning the cover! I can see the Title now……….Planes of Existence by Gygax and Marsh………. :D  8O  :D

Orange colored spine---now hold on a minute:  I thought you wanted real AD&D!!?!?!!?!!?!  ;) ;) ;) :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:52 am 

Guys thanks for your interest ...

grodog wrote:I'd be happy to help in any such endeavor. I'd like to think that DWP's well-positioned to perform the kind of printing and publishing functions that you're all talking about, but I also don't want to shove us down your throats if you're intent on doing this yourselves vs. with an existing publisher

Grodog as  I stated I will do some feasability work next year.  As for who is the printer / publisher I am open to suggestions.  Indications of cost etc would be useful.  

invincibleoverlord wrote:I know what you're saying Allan, DWP would be the better option. Really its up to Mike he's got the whole bag; I was just offering my aid. As far as making any coin on the project I really don't care unless others are making a dime, maybe even a charitable cause if there's any profit. Obviously it would be a whole different story if DWP published the book. Frankly I don't see that I have much as far as a bargaining chip with the Plane of Fire chapter other than a reference as to how the book was going to be originally edited.

Mike, as with most of us 'old timers' the concept of working on and releasing a new AD&D book with the original artists would be worth more than all the Fazzles in the world.  

A show of hands of buyers from the forum would help things along ....  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:40 am 

Put me down for 8 copies.  One to read, one to keep in shrink.  And another half a dozen to sell on eBay in a decade.  :wink:

And you will be doing a limited edition numbered run for Acaeum members of course?!?  :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:47 am 

johnhuck wrote:Put me down for 8 copies.  One to read, one to keep in shrink.  And another half a dozen to sell on eBay in a decade.  :wink:

And you will be doing a limited edition numbered run for Acaeum members of course?!?  :D

For those that have treated me well  :lol:

By the way guess what I just received in the mail ... I will give you a hint ... they roll ...  :roll:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:08 am 

improvestone wrote:

A show of hands of buyers from the forum would help things along ....  :D

Raises both hands (like avatar),……..any help you need Mike.  8)

grodog wrote:

Orange colored spine---now hold on a minute: I thought you wanted real AD&D!!?!?!!?!!?!

LOL :lol: , I was just thinking that the orange-spine years go along with the artists improv mentioned. If we're talking original style, then my vote is Sutherland. Maybe Paul could talk to him and see if he would be interested in doing a piece for the cover. Last I spoke to Paul or David's sister he was feeling much better, he even signed a DMG for me! 8O  8)

A few fundemental questions?

1. When was The Planes of Existence supposed to be released? In Paul's description he mentions as early as 79 Steven and Gary were working on the project, and in 86 when Gary was ousted it's still in manuscript form. Was the script on a permanent backburner?  

2. Did the Manual of the Planes publication in the mid-eighties replace this manuscript idea as the 1st edition AD&D outer worlds? Or would the two complement each other?

3. Also now that I'm thinking about it is there any connection with the Planes ideas in the back of the 1st edition AD&D PHB?, or again is it a totally seperate concept?

I cant wait to read this when I get it.  :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:09 pm 

Regarding publishing these documents:

From the description, it sounds like a lot of the material is unfinished notes. The dilemma Christopher Tolkien faced with his father's notes was 1) do you publish them in finished form - cohesive, but with many editoral revisions (ala the Silmarillon), or 2) As is (unedited and unfinished) but perhaps with editoral comments (ala the Unfinished Tales or History of Middle Earth). Chris Tolkien opted for #1 at first, and then later published everything (well, most of it) as #2.

Also, how much includes material that is copyrighted? Will it need to be altered to make it generic?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:18 am 

zhowar1 wrote:Regarding publishing these documents:

From the description, it sounds like a lot of the material is unfinished notes. The dilemma Christopher Tolkien faced with his father's notes was 1) do you publish them in finished form - cohesive, but with many editoral revisions (ala the Silmarillon), or 2) As is (unedited and unfinished) but perhaps with editoral comments (ala the Unfinished Tales or History of Middle Earth). Chris Tolkien opted for #1 at first, and then later published everything (well, most of it) as #2.

Also, how much includes material that is copyrighted? Will it need to be altered to make it generic?

I'm sure that the documents will require editing, additional materials, and rewriting, in addition to ordering the contents in a good structured format, as well as all of the usual publication stuff (art, maps, proofreading, etc., etc.).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:18 pm 

Do please chime in winning bidders when you've received the various manuscripts and let us know how much more cool/interesting/etc. they are than Paul's descriptions from the auctions :D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:27 am 

Hi All.
I've been lurking a while and thought I should maybe introduce myself as I've been so kindly mentioned by Grodog.
I'm new to collecting D&D, although I've played since the early 80's. I grew up in Germany on a variety of Army bases where D&D was played by the American kids, and a few of us Brits.
I now live in Edinburgh where I've run campaigns over the past 10 years at some local clubs, and attend our annual wargames convention, Claymore (no relation that I know of to the now defunct Claymore Games).
I haven't yet received Revenaut from Paul. I'm awaiting my final bill. But I'm desparately interested to find out what I've got for my money. I'm pretty miffed at missing out on the Planes of Existance lot (what an awesome buy) and the Mistworld manuscript.
Does anyone here know how to get ahold of Paul (Stornber). I've not managed to get ahold of him since before Christmas. Does anyone know if he shuts down over Christmas/New Year?
Anyway, from what I've seen of it, Acaeum is a great site.
Keep it going.
Ian :D

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Sat May 30, 2009 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:11 pm 

I'm sure that the documents will require editing, additional materials, and rewriting, in addition to ordering the contents in a good structured format, as well as all of the usual publication stuff (art, maps, proofreading, etc., etc.).

I might be available for development if someone wants to see this product on shelves.  I'm familiar with the procedure and have two books on the shelf so far--both nominated for Origins Awards (Best RPG in 2001, Best RPG Supplement in 2002).  

I recently sold the game store I've owned for 5 years so that I can devote my time to writing.  Now I have to justify my existence with actual work.

Lloyd Brown

Just some guy

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:12 pm 

Have any of the winners received you're items yet? I figured it might take Paul a little time to sort things out and properly secure the treats for shipping. So I'm patiently waiting for them to arrive. After thinking about the items for awhile I think I'm most anticipating the two handwritten pages of notes Marsh later sent to Gygax about the alignment system. Just to think this is the origin of the alignment system we take for granted today. It's one of the few rules in all editions of D&D that's never changed. It's simple and it works. I would have paid a lot less for it if our old friend Harami hadn't snipped in at the last second. I truly only beat him by a few bucks, my snipe/bid was what I paid. Whoooo....close one....Lucky me 8)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:03 pm 

I've not heard any word, and couldn't get a cost for shipping from him. I ended up paying for my auction win and asking for a second invoice for the shipping.

I've not heard from him since then, and haven't received a response to my payment or e-mails.

Anyone know what's happening? Improvstone? Have you received your lots yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:07 pm 

Me wonders if The Gygax/Marsh Planes of Existance wasn't the basis/forerunner to the Planescape Campaigns?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:59 pm 

I've been wondering similar things. As I stated above is there any relationship with the manuscript and the Manual of the Planes, original alternant dimension ideas in the PHB, or for that matter as you've stated Planescape??? Time will tell and I'll post what I can about the Draft copy of the Plane of Fire when I get it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:28 pm 

mbassoc2003

I've not heard any word, and couldn't get a cost for shipping from him. I ended up paying for my auction win and asking for a second invoice for the shipping.

Speaking of S&H; Paul only charged me $5.35. Granted there's not much weight I'm just laughing about the value vs. the S&H costs. The Cougar would have charged me hundreds in handling costs and demanded the same in positive feedbacks.  :lol:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:21 am 

Howdy All,

Sorry for the lack of response here. I was busy through the holidays and then the stomach flu ran through our family. I'm still not 100% but got up this morning and finished putting togeteher most of the packages. We've had a bit of snow, about 15", but I should get everything to the Post Office tonight.

Not many people have paid me, however, only about one third of the winners have made payment. I assume it is just the Holiday lag. However, almost every winning bidder from Australia and UK have had trouble with eBay's invoicing system, as in they never received the invoices I issued through eBay. I've had instances in the past where I have actually called the sellers and buyers in the UK to complete a transaction. Most of the time handling it through my own email system does the trick. Anyone else have this issue with eBay's private email and invoicing system?

Again, I am sorry for the shipping delay and for dropping off the radar for the last several days due to the flu. I always get my packages out, never fear.

If you have any questions please email me privately. Now for some toast and tea...

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:50 am 

Thanks Paul

PreviousNext