EGG / Stephen Marsh manuscript
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:01 pm 

Ethesis wrote:Elaikases started out, pre-D&D as an immortal ... and was also a character who made it all the way to level 12 or so a campaign with 95% or so attrition run by Sandy P.

The same Sandy who's cited with the Vampire character ruleset in that 1976 letter?

(Yes, that all makes perfect sense now in the context of Elaikases (I) & (II) :))

So; judging by the original extrapolated date on your Weretiger ruleset (late-1973/early-1974), did you do the lycanthropes and Sandy, the undead, on that list?
Or was it a shared workload?

*g*. All of that was a long time before "White Wolf", as I noted before!

=

Who takes responsibility for the "Radioactive Swamp Slimes", though?! ;)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:44 pm 

aside: Would it be OK to scan/post any of your other material beyond the Cupric Text pages, as required. Have been following the "free distribution" text on the front page of those for now, although the copyright has clearly not been waived on some of your other material (such as the combat rules! *yay* to those!!).

You mean the way you have been in this thread?  No problem at all.  I personally consider that fair use, but you have my consent as well, as does anyone else posting to this board.

Sure makes it easier to think / remember when I'm responding.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:56 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
Ethesis wrote:Elaikases started out, pre-D&D as an immortal ... and was also a character who made it all the way to level 12 or so a campaign with 95% or so attrition run by Sandy P.

The same Sandy who's cited with the Vampire character ruleset in that 1976 letter?

(Yes, that all makes perfect sense now in the context of Elaikases (I) & (II) :))

So; judging by the original extrapolated date on your Weretiger ruleset (late-1973/early-1974), did you do the lycanthropes and Sandy, the undead, on that list?
Or was it a shared workload?

*g*. All of that was a long time before "White Wolf", as I noted before!

=

Who takes responsibility for the "Radioactive Swamp Slimes", though?! ;)

There was a time when you could drop me out of a project and Sandy (the same guy who did Call of Cthulhu and who now works for Ensemble) could step right in and outsiders would not know the difference.  From '74 on, Sandy and I would get together from time to time.  First at BYU, again at BYU, then in Dallas.  I need to get over to the Saturday night gaming more often, but with my wife's work schedule and a five year old ...

Unfortunately, he has now had 20+ years of game industry experience that I have not had, so I can come no where near doing the same.  In the old days, we could have probably done a new FRPG every-other month without making it into work.

I'm older now, with more to do than try not to flunk out of college. ;)

I don't remember what we were doing in the way of playing around project then, but I did do some "eaters of the undead" and really believed that with work you could make most things into PCs.  Might have to either do violence to the concept or start them out at a different level than the typical 1st level character, but ....  

Think of vampires. Start them out like Stoker's "Mugger Lady" -- not even equal to a first level fighter -- and work them up.

Sorry that more isn't coming to mind.

I suspect that was Sandy's project on his own, start to finish.

///////////

Confesion.

I tried to do "groaner" jokes but was never as good at it as Gary was.  So you won't find many.  Acid Based mages, for example, had to tide over five years as the only one I worked in for that period.  Gary never had to make anything stretch more than an hour or two.

Also, I tended to be terse, though I often printed instead of the cursive (well, at least a little).  I would type enough to have what I needed to remember it all for fleshing out.

I've edited and written to spec styles ... just that everyone had their own.  So I would do stuff and then wait and see who would be interested in having me do it to their spec, reach an agreement and they would lose interest and go out of business.  Sigh.

But, whoever got the "monsters of the planes" monsters can see the stuff I was doing to a specific spec.  Monster statistics, description in the context of a group of interplaner adventurers, misc. text and details.  Some editing comments on vocabulary choices, but they went out of business before I did too many write-ups.

Well, I'm off to bed.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:58 pm 

I'm corrected, Elaikases made it to Warlock, not Wizard, so not quite 12th ... you can tell memory lets me exagerate the heady reaches in levels we had ...

BTW, I need to go through my RQ stuff.  Maybe I can get Stafford's Heroquest files into distribution as well.

Heck, over half the notes in that file are things I wrote.

I'll get back on that, but I'm off to bed.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:46 pm 

Got an e-mail asking how I could be talking with publishers (or how they could be talking) without the manuscript(s).

Well, I've dealt with the publisher's people before and some have seen parts of the manuscript in years past (ok, 10-15-20 years ago, but they remember it).

They know of my terseness and a lot of project management is thinking through who will do what and how they will do it, rather than typesetting, if that makes any sense.

A good question, but that is how someone can be looking at some of the material and thinking about publishing without the actual manuscript.

Do I think it will work out? Well, there is a reason I was going to throw it all away and why I was pleased to sell to a collector without regard for whether or not the collector wanted to publish. I've just been burned on that over and over again, though I'm awfully pleased someone is thinking about it.

And if anyone sees the documents Mayfair had, I've never given up title to them.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:36 am 

Ethesis wrote:I'm corrected, Elaikases made it to Warlock, not Wizard, so not quite 12th ... you can tell memory lets me exagerate the heady reaches in levels we had ...

BTW, I need to go through my RQ stuff. Maybe I can get Stafford's Heroquest files into distribution as well.

Heck, over half the notes in that file are things I wrote.

I'll get back on that, but I'm off to bed.

I'm in touch.  Will let Paul know if I get the file back.  I contributed a lot throughout the years.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:30 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote: Does anyone have contact info for Len?

I believe he was on Greytalk as [email protected]

(Greytalk archive are down atm so i can`t check. )

Grodog probably knows more..

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:38 pm 

frankfromgermany wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote: Does anyone have contact info for Len?

I believe he was on Greytalk as [email protected]

(Greytalk archive are down atm so i can`t check. )

Grodog probably knows more..

Thanks, Frank. Got ahold of him and having a bit of a bazaar e-mail conversation.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:58 pm 

BTW, on the PBM ...

The players were in different areas of the game world.  Of the ones I recall, some played a single individual (e.g. the ancient red dragon).  One played a fairly large party (Peggy Gemgnani [sp?] with Tarno Snowforge and the rest) and one played a character with retainers and minions.

Regards,

Stephen

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:45 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:
harami2000 wrote:*wonders again what Gary did with Steve's Elaikases material from back in 1975/6*

I know nothing of the backstory to this discussion. I get the impression that you know more about what I have that I do. Certainly more about the genesis or it, if not the actual text.

Do you have/keep notes on your perceived chronology of those early years (and the interactions between the main players), and would you care to share them?

I've tracked down one of my discussion threads, David. Check it out.
dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t= ... highlight=

I'm still searching for the others.

The current rumor is that he turned it over to Tim Kask to edit.

Regards,

Stephen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:33 pm 

The Revenant manuscript with TSR's editing is back up on eBay.

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIte ... T&rd=1

Pictures and a more elaborate history and description will be posted shortly.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:49 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:The Revenant manuscript with TSR's editing is back up on eBay.

Ah; just a bit too high for me... :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:53 pm 

harami2000 wrote:
mbassoc2003 wrote:The Revenant manuscript with TSR's editing is back up on eBay.

Ah; just a bit too high for me... :(

Hmmm... Last of the current volume of the Cupric Text....

Flips through a hundred pages...

Oooh... Eaters of the Undead....

Tries shamelessly to tempt David into continuing his research.... :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:58 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Hmmm... Last of the current volume of the Cupric Text....

Oooh... Eaters of the Undead....

Tries shamelessly to tempt David to continue his research.... :wink:

Heh, heh... I've got Steve's original copies of that Cupric Text, remember?

(Unless of course there were other items extracted).

Maybe I should have bundled the related items here in with your auction for "completeness sake"?

=

Yep; very close I must admit: sat there for five minutes looking at the button thinking about my credit card.

Will let it pass to IO or whoever.

Thanks for my daily dose of temptation, Ian! :D

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:59 pm 

A hundred did you say....? :P

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:05 pm 

harami2000 wrote:A hundred did you say....? :P

Ninety-nine numbered pages and one Certificate of Authenticity. Complete with TSR's original editing notes. Given your proximity to me, maybe we could arrange a private viewing.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:08 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote:Ninety-nine numbered pages

*g*. That's one aspect Paul didn't use in the sales pitch last time. ;)

Good to see you've brought the date into line with research, too.

mbassoc2003 wrote:...and one Certificate of Authenticity. Complete with TSR's original editing notes. Given your proximity to me, maybe we could arrange a private viewing.

Am sure you know the cost of public transport around here! :roll:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:39 pm 

i would love to get my hands on that but i am too poor :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext