Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 2:02 am 

anyone remember these? They were released in the middle of 1982.
They came with five felt tip pens and had two big poster board sheets inside to color.

Jim Roslof's art is on this poster board
Attachment:
Advanced Dungeons+Dragons Pen and Poster Set pg2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by misterspock on Sun May 18, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:13 am 

Arch! I do now! Anyone have a spare? :/

Carpe DM!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 5:15 pm 

misterspock wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:anyone remember these? They were released in the middle of 1982.
They came with five felt tip pens and had two big sheets inside to color.

Jim Roslof's art is on this sheet

Can you post pics of the other sheets, please, Mike?  I'm always looking out for illustrations that might be related to "Treasure of the Dragon Queen" :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:32 pm 

grodog wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:Can you post pics of the other sheets, please, Mike?  I'm always looking out for illustrations that might be related to "Treasure of the Dragon Queen" :D

trying to locate stuff as I go through boxes and boxes ... I promise when I come across the other one I'll put it up. I was going to hold off on posting that until I found the other one but when I saw I'd have to do a lot more digging I figured I'd get it out there for everyone. The other illustration features Jim Holloway art.

I want to say that there were two separate "Giant Pen and Poster" sets released, but I can't remember if I ever bought the second set.

also btw I should have said in my original post "on this board" since these weren't really sheets, but poster board.

edit: I put "1982" in the description, so it'll be more exact and fixed the lines about the sheets

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:24 pm 

Thanks for posting that picture. I'd never even heard of this product before. Great to see some 'new' Roslof work!  I added it to the Roslof list that you helped me with.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:39 am 

I've never seen this before.  A Roslof black dragon!

Did the boards have a glossy finish?

They aren't the fuzzy/fake velvet kind are they?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:50 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:Thanks for posting that picture. I'd never even heard of this product before. Great to see some 'new' Roslof work!  I added it to the Roslof list that you helped me with.

you're welcome! I hadn't come across a bunch of stuff in a long while since I packed it up in the late 80's. It was great to find more of Jim's work. It's too bad we couldn't see him do an Acaeum print

biopunk wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:I've never seen this before.  A Roslof black dragon!

Did the boards have a glossy finish?

They aren't the fuzzy/fake velvet kind are they?

Definitely not fuzzy velvet, just regular poster board

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:54 pm 

Thank you misterspock, it's cool to see these for the first time in about 30 years :)

The shown illustration is interesting because it appears to be a composite cribbed from multiple sources in a Roslof style.  I'm sure everyone has noted the black dragon style is borrowed from DCS III (Monster Manual pg. 31), but there's also the dwarf which is clearly from the grell full-page (Fiend Folio pg. 47).  I think the orc / hobgoblin guy might be from an LJN toy card or the D&D cartoon but can't remember, and the snake looks like a mix of the MM couatl and the giant snake from the Monster & Treasure Assortments.  Not sure about the others, although that spearman looks familiar!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:23 pm 

darkseraphim wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:
The shown illustration is interesting because it appears to be a composite cribbed from multiple sources in a Roslof style.  I'm sure everyone has noted the black dragon style is borrowed from DCS III (Monster Manual pg. 31), but there's also the dwarf which is clearly from the grell full-page (Fiend Folio pg. 47).  I think the orc / hobgoblin guy might be from an LJN toy card or the D&D cartoon but can't remember, and the snake looks like a mix of the MM couatl and the giant snake from the Monster & Treasure Assortments.  Not sure about the others, although that spearman looks familiar!

Good insight, ds. I had noted the creature in the middle is a Xill, a rarely spotted four-armed beastie from the Fiend Folio. Now that you mention it, the Xill in the poster shares some similarities of pose with Nicholson's original: the swords are in the same two arms (upper right hand and lower left hand), and the creature's upper right hand is raised. And the giant rat in the foreground is in a similar pose to Roslof's rat on page 9 of B3 (green cover). I'd guess that Roslof was using the original illustrations as references when drawing this picture. The setup of the scene also reminds me of the pictures in the D&D Coloring Album.

I can't read the text at the bottom in that picture. Misterspock, are there any interesting details about the scene in the text? A story behind the encounter shown?

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 28, 2014 3:48 am 

I have nothing technical to add other than.... I WANT! I WANT BAD!

Make them pay as much as they think they can afford...J.R. "Bob" Dobbs

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

The black dragon is also very reminiscent of the Monster Card illustration too (although I don't know if Jim did that one or not, offhand).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:21 pm 

Zenopus wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:Good insight, ds. I had noted the creature in the middle is a Xill, a rarely spotted four-armed beastie from the Fiend Folio. Now that you mention it, the Xill in the poster shares some similarities of pose with Nicholson's original: the swords are in the same two arms (upper right hand and lower left hand), and the creature's upper right hand is raised. And the giant rat in the foreground is in a similar pose to Roslof's rat on page 9 of B3 (green cover). I'd guess that Roslof was using the original illustrations as references when drawing this picture. The setup of the scene also reminds me of the pictures in the D&D Coloring Album.

I can't read the text at the bottom in that picture. Misterspock, are there any interesting details about the scene in the text? A story behind the encounter shown?

unfortunately there's no story, just instructions on how to use the included color pens to the best effect and staying with the black lines...

I'm still looking for the other one that it came with. I remember it had some dwarves or gnomes fighting a salamander. I should say not an actual salamander, but the creatures from the elemental plane of fire. I'm certain it's Holloway's work on that one.

When I picked these up when I was in elementary school I always recognized Holloway's style on pretty much any book/item he worked on. I really liked Roslof's work in the Deities & Demigods book, but I'm sure I didn't realize this was his work at that time.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:31 pm 

darkseraphim wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:Thank you misterspock, it's cool to see these for the first time in about 30 years :)

You're welcome! some of the depictions I thought looked a bit familiar too but couldn't place them. I wonder if this kind of project wound up being a much quicker turnaround for Jim, so to make it easier he cobbled the creatures together from the existing art. That actually reminds me of a missive I should write on my other art thread about the amount of time the artists got to do various jobs (for instance the cover paintings versus the interior illustrations.)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:16 pm 

grodog wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:The black dragon is also very reminiscent of the Monster Card illustration too (although I don't know if Jim did that one or not, offhand).

Reminiscent, but.
Monster Card (set 4) Black Dragon by Harry Quinn.
He and his wife (both TSR employees of the '80s) have been known to appear at GaryCon. Rare, tho.

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:49 pm 

Thanks, Frank. I really like Harry Quinn's TSR work; it is underappreciated. Among other work, he did the front covers for I2 Tomb of the Lizard King, O1 The Gem & The Staff, and X4 Master of the Desert Nomads. And a bunch of monsters in the Monster Manual II in addition to the Monster Cards. After TSR he illustrated some He-Man books. I have one, the weird "He Man Smells Trouble" where he battles Stinkor.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:20 pm 

lets see if I remember how to do this:

Therapy-level collector

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:55 pm 

Wow! Thanks for posting those pics, CK. I had never seen any of these before this thread was started.

So one set has one pic by Roslof and one pic by Holloway, and the other has two pics by Elmore?

The packaging itself is neat. I like that "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" logo with the greyish dragon in the middle. Did it appear anywhere else? Is the dragon by Roslof?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 am 

Zenopus wrote in Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Giant Pen and Poster set 1982:Wow! Thanks for posting those pics, CK. I had never seen any of these before this thread was started.

So one set has one pic by Roslof and one pic by Holloway, and the other has two pics by Elmore?

The packaging itself is neat. I like that "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" logo with the greyish dragon in the middle. Did it appear anywhere else? Is the dragon by Roslof?

I agree with you on the artists but no where does it say who drew them.
I like the dragon in the logo also. After a quick search I didnt see that logo on anything else.

Therapy-level collector

Next