Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:05 pm 

Interesting links!  As a side note, just curious on how you all pronounce Sahaugin.  I have heard "saw-wha-gin" and "saw-hog-in" (my feeble attempts to give examples).  I have mixed player groups and every time the sahaugin show up in an encounter people digress on how to pronounce it.  While it doesn't detract from gaming since the side track conversation doesn't go long, I've taken a kind of informal poll to see what the majority is... or if there is some other pronunciation I am not aware of.  Thanks!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:42 pm 

Hi mrmanowar, glad you liked them. :)

In Dragon #93, there was a great article where Frank Mentzer compiled all of the "official" pronunciations that he could find.  There, it is pronounced "sa-HWA-gin."

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:38 am 

mrmanowar wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:every time the sahaugin show up in an encounter people digress on how to pronounce it.

That is how the sahaugin takes its prey. When the adventuring party falls under its spell, they stop to discuss the linguistic possibilities while ignoring the slimy monsters that creep up to surround them. By the time they get around to analyzing the mesoclitic within the context of Proto Indo-European, it's too late for them. Sahaugin-related fatalities have been a significant contributor to death rates in Middle-earth.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:58 am 

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:  I wish do-it-yourself accessories were more popular, but they're a hard sell sometimes.  The majority wants completed product, not tools.  Cool people who like both seem to be the exception.

Given the response "to how to make a fantasy sandbox" You might try to put it together as part of a SYSTEM. For example if Monster & Treasure assortment was part of a hypothetical "How to make and manage a dungeon" by E. Gary Gygax. I but it would have sold a lot better.

I haven't done it myself because it taking me a long time in assembling a set of original tables that I can publish and without those table I don't think anything I publish would be anymore useful than the blog posts I already have up.

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: The nice balance that I've found is in "tools that inspire."  My favorite examples are the Ultimate Toolbox, the Ready Ref Sheets, and Kellri's Netbook #4 (Old School Encounter Reference I think it's called).  I make a lot of my own accessories in that way - you give the DM/reader a great hook idea, but you don't give them the details.  It's kind of like Mad Libs as an adventure intro, and then the 1-page "treatment" gets fleshed out by the DM to create the adventure.  I think that's a cool way to encourage people to create their own stuff with a little more guidance.

I think this reinforces my point. My opinion is that a reason why Ready Ref sheets and Netbook #4 are so well received because they are comprehensive. While they are not part of a system but they cover so much that just about everybody finds something useful.

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:I'm also embarrassed to note that some of my own early dungeons were based on Choose Your Own Adventure type books or fantasy adventures ... I did one on The Mystery of Chimney Rock, one on Zork and another on A Spell for Chameleon (my first wilderness type of adventure).  They weren't good, but I learned a lot following someone else's framework and trying to make a different story out of it.  :wink:

My "sin" what I used a lot of published adventure lightly reskinned for the campaign. I was way better at managing a sandbox where player were free to do whatever then coming up with prepared location. Now thanks to my OSR experience and everything I learned (You and Peterson are part of this). I am much more comfortable in making my own adventure as I now have a bunch of assembled tools that gets me over the hump.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:46 pm 

Hey Kent---

Are you publishing the H&M books in .pdf format also, or just in epub/mobi/etc.?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:27 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:
mrmanowar wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:every time the sahaugin show up in an encounter people digress on how to pronounce it.

That is how the sahaugin takes its prey. When the adventuring party falls under its spell, they stop to discuss the linguistic possibilities while ignoring the slimy monsters that creep up to surround them. By the time they get around to analyzing the mesoclitic within the context of Proto Indo-European, it's too late for them. Sahaugin-related fatalities have been a significant contributor to death rates in Middle-earth.

This is absolutely true.  And 100% of the time, there is a nearby pool filled with Ixitxachitl who say to one another:  "You know, if we made it halfway pronounceable we could do that too."

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:31 pm 

robertsconley wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:
darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:  I wish do-it-yourself accessories were more popular, but they're a hard sell sometimes.  The majority wants completed product, not tools.  Cool people who like both seem to be the exception.

Given the response "to how to make a fantasy sandbox" You might try to put it together as part of a SYSTEM. For example if Monster & Treasure assortment was part of a hypothetical "How to make and manage a dungeon" by E. Gary Gygax. I but it would have sold a lot better.

I haven't done it myself because it taking me a long time in assembling a set of original tables that I can publish and without those table I don't think anything I publish would be anymore useful than the blog posts I already have up.

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: The nice balance that I've found is in "tools that inspire."  My favorite examples are the Ultimate Toolbox, the Ready Ref Sheets, and Kellri's Netbook #4 (Old School Encounter Reference I think it's called).  I make a lot of my own accessories in that way - you give the DM/reader a great hook idea, but you don't give them the details.  It's kind of like Mad Libs as an adventure intro, and then the 1-page "treatment" gets fleshed out by the DM to create the adventure.  I think that's a cool way to encourage people to create their own stuff with a little more guidance.

I think this reinforces my point. My opinion is that a reason why Ready Ref sheets and Netbook #4 are so well received because they are comprehensive. While they are not part of a system but they cover so much that just about everybody finds something useful.

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:I'm also embarrassed to note that some of my own early dungeons were based on Choose Your Own Adventure type books or fantasy adventures ... I did one on The Mystery of Chimney Rock, one on Zork and another on A Spell for Chameleon (my first wilderness type of adventure).  They weren't good, but I learned a lot following someone else's framework and trying to make a different story out of it.  :wink:

My "sin" what I used a lot of published adventure lightly reskinned for the campaign. I was way better at managing a sandbox where player were free to do whatever then coming up with prepared location. Now thanks to my OSR experience and everything I learned (You and Peterson are part of this). I am much more comfortable in making my own adventure as I now have a bunch of assembled tools that gets me over the hump.

Hi guys, I was up in the mountains for awhile but am back :)  Robert, I totally agree ... I write my Castle Oldskull books to provide comprehensive takes on detailed subjects.  My problem is I get too wordy though.  My book on city encounters is 200-300 pages, my monster tables for dungeons are about 800 pages and my trap book is about 200 pages.  I have a tricks book in draft form which I haven't published yet, but will probably be about 150-200 pages.  At this rate I should have a 15,000 page random dungeon design system completed in about 30 years  :lol:

I'm planning on making a much more brief version of everything, which is based on D20 tables used in conjunction.  (For example, roll 1D20 on table A for NPC long-term motivations, and table B for short-term needs, and end up with 400 different NPCs based on a single 2D20 roll.)  But I'm waiting to see if WotC do an OGL for 5E before I write more for the OSR.

But I'll definitely try to offer more comprehensive materials!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 pm 

grodog wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:Hey Kent---

Are you publishing the H&M books in .pdf format also, or just in epub/mobi/etc.?

Hi Allan, the plan is to offer that in the future ... but as you might recall me talking about on the Dragonsfoot thread, I've had a lot of stuff ripped off and flat-out stolen from having D&D books I've written in .pdf format.  There's a few H&M review .pdfs out there, because it's a lot harder to steal established prose than it is to steal tables and game text.  Feel free to PM or e-mail me for more ... info.  :wink:

H&M will be in hardcopy before the end of the year, although the details are still being worked out.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 pm 

Hi all, here is a draft of a new essay that will appear in future editions of Book II.  This one is about the science fiction elements of D&D, the post-apocalyptic background potential of D&D, and how natural the fantasy-sci fi merger appeared from the perspective of the early 70s, as opposed to our own historical view.

Dungeons & Dragons:
A Secret History of the Apocalypse?

(Glimpses of the "Gamma World" in Early D&D)

DESPITE THE omnipresent temptation which might lead us to label Dave's and Gary's signature masterpiece — Dungeons & Dragons — as a mere clone of Professor Tolkien's hallowed and now-legendary fantasy setting of Middle Earth, there is a far more unusual background to the game which I feel it is crucial for the historical reader to consider.  It is an open secret [1] that D&D, as published in January of 1974, can very easily be interpreted as a fantasy simulation of a post-apocalyptic environment.  In other words, Greyhawk and/or Blackmoor — and all the ruin-filled realms in between — might actually represent the healed and forgotten remnants of a far more ancient world, one ravaged by a nuclear war or other technological cataclysm.

This suggestion might seem laughable at first, but when we peel back the layers of preconception and consider both Dave's and Gary's love of science fiction, it really is not unlikely at all.  Gary's favorite author Jack Vance wrote The Dying Earth, in which a far-flung and post-apocalyptic world is filled with eccentric wizards who battle and vie against strange monstrosities.  The Hawkmoon stories (of Michael Moorcock), along with Hiero's Journey (Sterling Lanier), Sign of the Labrys (Margaret St. Clair), and Changeling Earth (Fred Saberhagen) — all exceedingly post-apocalyptic works — were also held dear among Gary's favorite tales.  All of these stories inspired pieces of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and all were featured in Gary's recommended reading list for AD&D, Appendix N.  Several of these tales were also included in Gary's earlier "Fantasy / Swords & Sorcery:  Recommended Reading" list as well, featured in The Dragon #4 (December 1976).

But there are also hints beyond the mere recollection of Gary's preferred reading material.  The Greyhawk dungeons of 1973 would feature beaming teleporters and dimensional gates to other worlds, inspired in part by the technology of Star Trek.  It is also remarkable that in 1974, when James M. Ward expressed an interest in seeing a pure science fiction version of Dungeons & Dragons, Gary's answer was not "No."  Rather, Gary loved the concept, but he simply did not have enough time to write the new game by himself.  Therefore, he let James run with the idea.  The result would be Metamorphosis Alpha, published in late 1976 … some six months before Star Wars told the tale of ravaged worlds "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away."  Star Wars, in turn, would convince everyone that high technology and Jedi mysticism could co-exist in the fabled past, and not just in the future.  In Star Wars as in Greyhawk, the Golden Age of the world has already come and gone, and who is to say that the Golden Age was not celebrated through the omnipresence of magic-like technology?  After all, Gary — very much like George Lucas — was a fan of the "Sword & Planet" genre exemplified by Edgar Rice Burroughs's Barsoom stories, the first of which — as Under the Moons of Mars — had been written more than twenty-five years before Gary was even alive.  And Barsoom in turn was based on the premise of a declining civilization, where the past culture's technology had fallen into ruin.  There, apocalypse took hold in the form of a worldwide climate disruption, and the survivors grew to favor swords and other melee weapons as a result of their gradual degeneration into barbarism.

TSR's game Warriors of Mars, celebrating Barsoom and linking it explicitly to D&D, would be released in 1974.  And certainly by 1975, Gary was also a devout admirer of M. A. R. Barker's post-apocalyptic Tékumel setting, which would then premiere to the public in TSR's Empire of the Petal Throne.  While James Ward continued his work on "sci fi D&D," Gary too would mix sci fi and fantasy in his own Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, conceived in early 1976 as a tournament-driven introduction to Metamorphosis Alpha as an adjunct to Dungeons & Dragons.  Even as late as 1979, Gary's Dungeon Masters Guide would feature conversion rules syncing AD&D to TSR's most forthright post-apocalyptic game, Gamma World.

And there is more.  There are deeper clues to D&D's apocalyptic background buried within the rules which deal with artifacts and relics.  Several of these powerful nonesuch gadgets are obviously hints that the world of fantasy possessed much more technology in its ancient past.  These anachronistic and ancient contraptions include Heward's Mystical Organ, the Mighty Servant of Leuk-O, and the micro-automaton "device" known as Queen Ahlissa's Marvelous Nightingale.  Most especially telling is the Machine of Lum the Mad:  "Perhaps this strange device was built by gods long forgotten and survived the eons since their passing," we read, "for it is incredibly ancient and of workmanship unlike anything known today." [2]

So it is clear, then:  Gary acknowledged many links of inspiration and development between post-apocalyptic fiction and D&D, to the point that they became irrevocably intertwined.  But how early, exactly, did he link the apocalypse and lost technology to simpler precepts of historical and medieval fantasy?  It may have been very early indeed, before D&D or even Chainmail had been conceived of.  He once wrote that he read Jack Vance's The Eyes of the Overworld in 1966, [3] and then read The Dying Earth thereafter.  But despite all of these later links, was Gary thinking of post-apocalyptic fantasy while he was writing the early rules for Dungeons & Dragons?  He almost certainly was.  In the original set's volumes (written in 1973, published in January of 1974), we find direct references not only to Barsoom, but also to cyborgs, robots, and androids.  Early on in Volume 1, Gary noted that D&D's scope could easily "stretch from the prehistoric to the imagined future," although he urged an exploration of medieval fantasy prior to any engagement with such further flights of fancy.  From the beginning, it seems, D&D's ties to the post-apocalyptic were both hinted and hidden in equal measure.

Despite Gary's reticence on the subject, there are very much clearer ties between D&D and a technology-imbued former age, which can all be found in the realm of Greyhawk's ancestor:  Dave Arneson's science fantasy campaign of Blackmoor.  Blackmoor's earliest arch-villain is the Egg of Coot, who would later be described in this manner:  "All communications with this beast are through direct mental contact or via his throne room, which is dominated by a huge old world artifact said to be an ancient war machine." [4]

And the blatant references to a technology-focused world of Blackmoor do not end there.  In 1973, John Snider — a player in Dave's campaign who contributed significant additional rules — introduced guidelines for Star Trek-style exploration missions to be enjoyed by the Blackmoor players.  These rules would later be published in part by TSR, as Star Probe and Star Empire.  In that stars-and-fantasy campaign, the world which Blackmoor resides upon was designated as a unique planet which could be visited by spaceships.  One ship's crew in particular visited this world and became stranded, with one ambitious member — Security Officer Stephen Rocklin, known as "The Rock" — becoming a villain of special note.  Stephen would control the Temple of the Frog, as later featured in D&D Supplement II:  Blackmoor (1975).  Dave's genre-spanning campaign would also come to feature phasers, nanotech healing kits, and Starship Troopers-style powered armor (as worn by William of the Heath, the "Blue Rider").  Perhaps most significant of all, the region of Blackmoor was home to the City of the Gods:  a half-buried spaceship, apparently hailing from the times of old.

These many hints of the apocalypse in Blackmoor's history were certainly no accident.  In fact, D&D writer and commentator Tavis Allison has noted that he once asked Mr. Arneson flat out if Blackmoor was a post-apocalyptic setting, with ruins standing over lost remnants of technology.  Reportedly, Dave stated, "Yes.  My players haven't figured that out yet." [5]

And that is a revelation.  The world's foremost fantasy game has a hidden layer of science fiction, and these two genres are deeply merged via significant post-apocalyptic elements and imagery.  D&D is arguably a science fiction game.

It may be surprising, but the revelation is also welcome.  If we do consider the worlds of Dungeons & Dragons as being post-apocalyptic, many of the game's stranger "magical" trappings begin to make much more sense.  Magic exists because the high-tech devastation caused the laws of science to become permeable, with the dream logic of chaos magic taking hold wherever the physical laws might falter.  (This is the premise behind Fred Saberhagen's Changeling Earth, which was published while Gary was writing the draft of D&D.)  "Monsters" are the long-lost descendants of mutants, biologically corrupted lifeforms, sentient flora and fungi, and degenerated species.  Such a background also provides a logical explanation for the absence of crude black powder weapons, or gunpowder of any kind, in the World of Greyhawk:  with the laws of physics disrupted and replaced in part by magic, humans would be forever coming to grasp with an ever-changing world with shifting laws.  The old technologies, despite all attempts at replication, would not always function.  And why would humans continue to attempt recreating a form of technology that would never work again?  Instead, they could simply innovate anew, using magic and ingenuity to work out similar effects (such as Magic Missiles and Fireballs) in sync with the new ways of the world.

And best of all, a post-apocalyptic background can offer a firm rationale for the existence of hundreds of dungeons!  After all, if the world had been filled with fallout shelters, subterranean fortresses and vast underground sanctuaries (as seems to be the case in Margaret St. Clair's Sign of the Labrys), those places would certainly be filled with mutated survivors.  If the surface of the planet remained poisoned for thousands of years, would the denizens not dig deeper in every direction, because they could not return to the surface?  Wouldn't such places be filled with storerooms and vaults filled with "treasure," protected by traps and guardians?  There would be ruins everywhere after the apocalypse, many with these "dungeons" far below.  And after thousands of years, the new surface dwellers would only know that these netherworld environs were filled with strange creatures, magical wonders and mysterious rooms and secret tunnels of every description.

And what might end the world?  The cataclysm could be technological, or it might instead be magical.  Or perhaps both?  In Gary's World of Greyhawk, the great advanced civilizations of the past were destroyed by the Invoked Devastation and the Rain of Colorless Fire.  Gary once wrote that these were not thermonuclear effects, but rather the result of massive waves of uncontrollable magic. [6]  Here, however, we are reminded not only of Gary's love of post-apocalyptic fiction, but also of Clarke's Third Law:  "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."  Greyhawk, despite being spared the devastation of nuclear holocaust, might have fallen prey to post-industrial progress after all.

In Blackmoor, the devastation's cause is a mystery.  In Sign of the Labrys, humanity fell victim to the plague.  And in the world of Changeling Earth, the cataclysm which caused the death of the technological societies is simply called "The Change."  It seems that in that near future, a nuclear war occurred and a desperate experiment was conducted in an attempt to save some of North America:  some of the laws of physics were deliberately altered at the sub-molecular level, resulting in fewer fissionable reactions, making nuclear weapons much less likely to detonate.  But these very changes caused the laws of physics to become more mutable, and gave birth to both chaos magic and the Demon Lord born of an interrupted nuclear explosion, the Lord Orcus himself.  "Magic" and "technology" in such a world are simply different words for the same concept, spoken from two vantage points which are diametrically opposed.

Not everyone, however, is comfortable with such a definition of "magic-tech" as a unifying theory.  In our own age of the 21st century, where genre fiction is highly striated and fandoms forever divided, many readers have returned to "Tolkien worship."  Some fans today embrace fantasy as solely representing the medieval period, merged with the lost dream world of fairy tales.  Under such a strict definition, any whispers of technology at all appear to be out-of-genre, upsetting, and perhaps even faintly ridiculous.  But from the perspective of the open-minded, or from the viewpoint of the early 1970s, such genre-merging mischief is precisely the spice which serves to create the very exciting grounds where many new and unpredictable ideas take root and flourish into the future.

Despite all of the compelling evidence hinting at an apocalyptic background for D&D, it seems clear that Gary set out to write a medieval fantasy game — and only that — in early 1971.  Chainmail (March 1971) was sub-titled "Rules for Medieval Miniatures," with the Fantasy Supplement's introductory justification stating that "Most of the fantastic battles related in novels more closely resemble medieval warfare than they do earlier or later forms of combat."  And D&D itself (January 1974) would subsequently be sub-titled in part, "Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames."  In other words, Chainmail and D&D were at first games which reflected a Tolkien-inspired background:  a world of the fairy tale past, where technology never rose out of the Dark Ages to alter the fate of humanity.

Nevertheless, it seems that Gary's orthodox premise came to an end as soon as Dave Arneson began tampering with Chainmail Fantasy to create the Barony of Blackmoor and the Egg of Coot in April of 1971.  The strictly "medieval" trappings of the game swiftly went out the door.  The interesting question then becomes:  When exactly was Gary inspired by post-apocalyptic fiction to lend sci fi aspects to the background of his own game of dungeon exploration?  Was it perhaps in November 1972, when he played an adventurer in Dave's Blackmoor dungeons?  Or in early 1973, when Changeling Earth was published and he was busy writing the second draft of Dungeons & Dragons?  Or (despite mentioning robots and cyborgs in D&D!) did he not become obsessed with the concept until after D&D's publication, when writing Warriors of Mars (early 1974), or while publishing Empire of the Petal Throne (1975), or perhaps only while writing Expedition to the Barrier Peaks (early 1976)?  When did D&D become post-apocalyptic, and to what degree?  And why is it that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1977-1979) is so much more heavily vested with these science fiction ideas, while (at the very same time) the game's many new fans were pining for a more Tolkien-modeled conception of traditional fantasy?

There are no easy answers to these questions, and there probably never will be a definitive resolution which would assuage our collective confusion.  But the next time someone derides the science fiction elements in Dungeons & Dragons, you might want to point out to them that those elements have a very solid and justifiable place in the earliest foundations of the game.  Perhaps, even, the 1974 game was written as a post-apocalyptic setting filled with mutant "monsters" and technological "treasures," where the worlds of (Grey) Hawk and (Black) Moor hide the utmost secrets of the apocalypse under their shared and riddling histories … riddles which were waiting, all along, to be unveiled and appreciated by our deeper understanding.

[1] This idea has been explored many times over the decades, and I was reminded of the theme by Tavis Allison's 2010 article for The Escapist Magazine, "The Day After:  D&D Is the Apocalypse."  I owe a debt to Tavis's insightful precedent as I tackle the subject herein, from my own perspective.
[2] DMG159
[3] Jack Vance and the D&D Game
[4] The First Fantasy Campaign, pg. 14.
[5] |  | The Escapist
[6] GREYHAWK-L Archives -- May 2000, week 2 (#66)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:53 am 

I remember reading somewhere that Mystara was per official cannon the result of a post-nuclear holocaust.
I think that was the explanation for why some of the civilizations there migrated to the hollow world underground.

It's been a long time though, I could have that wrong.

The owls are not what they seem...

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:07 pm 

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: And why is it that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1977-1979) is so much more heavily vested with these science fiction ideas, while (at the very same time) the game's many new fans were pining for a more Tolkien-modeled conception of traditional fantasy?

Are you hinting at Ralph Bakshi's Wizards & the Sword of Shannara, both 1977? There seem to be a few things suggested, but not directly addressed. The nuclear threat of the Cold War of course, but also the direction of mainstream society by the early 1970s. That is, the mid-20th-century world of modernism had been supplanted by medievalist hippies.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 pm 

Agent Cooper wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:I remember reading somewhere that Mystara was per official cannon the result of a post-nuclear holocaust.
I think that was the explanation for why some of the civilizations there migrated to the hollow world underground.

It's been a long time though, I could have that wrong.

Thanks Agent, that's cool  8)   I didn't know that.  I seem to recall hearing something similar about the Shadow Elves (the "drow" of Mystara, GAZ13 I think) but I don't remember who said it.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:
darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: And why is it that Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (1977-1979) is so much more heavily vested with these science fiction ideas, while (at the very same time) the game's many new fans were pining for a more Tolkien-modeled conception of traditional fantasy?

Are you hinting at Ralph Bakshi's Wizards & the Sword of Shannara, both 1977? There seem to be a few things suggested, but not directly addressed. The nuclear threat of the Cold War of course, but also the direction of mainstream society by the early 1970s. That is, the mid-20th-century world of modernism had been supplanted by medievalist hippies.

Yes, very much  :mrgreen:  Those were definitely two I wanted to discuss but didn't due to the narrowness of the topic.  (The essay is an interlude between two chapters discussing the Greyhawk dungeons in 1973, with a few hints of Blackmoor, within a larger timeline discussing the writing of D&D 1972-1974.)  There's a few other things I was going to touch on, including The Time Machine (Wells 1895), By the Waters of Babylon (Benet 1937), I Am Legend (Matheson 1954), The Drowned World (Ballard 1962) and maybe even the time loop which frames The Worm Ouroboros (Eddison 1922) … but I decided to limit it to Greyhawk, Blackmoor, MA and Appendix N.  I may include Star Man's Son (1952) because it's Andre Norton and almost fits, but I don't know if Gary and/or Dave liked it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:17 pm 

I think we should take Gary at face value when he said at the time that the D&D rules were intended to simulate a wide variety of different settings, and this is why they incorporate both science fantasy and pure fantasy elements. While of course we could cherry pick items from various charts to say that they make D&D look post-apocalyptic, we could cherry pick other items that make D&D look like Barsoom - tharks, etc. Some artifacts or spells have those science fantasy or post-apocalyptic dimensions to them, and others don't, because D&D was intended to be able to simulate science fantasy and other settings as well.

As for Greyhawk, Blackmoor and the Great Kingdom at large, this is even sketchier. Blackmoor is not a coherent setting, at any point in its existence, and to talk about it one must be very careful to talk about a particular point in time, because it transformed so radically over the years. John Snider's campaign was not part of the Blackmoor campaign either. The two of them intersected, but that's because Blackmoor intersected with pretty much anything Arneson felt like running in the day. From a strictly historical perspective, the Great Kingdom was a medieval wargames setting which was only later retrofitted with magic, and Blackmoor itself followed that trajectory. Greyhawk was a much later invention, but it was stuffed with whatever pop-culture oddities amused the Lake Genevans at the time, and was only loosely coordinated with Blackmoor. There were scientific elements in Blackmoor circa late 1972, no doubt, and I would go so far as to say that Arneson did commonly (but not exclusively) approach fantasy with Clarke's Third Law in mind. But that perspective is only one of several that D&D admits by design.

So I would be very cautious about projecting some intended "hidden meaning" that we're meant to discover behind these settings, like a Da Vinci Code or something. That suggests a level of forethought, coordination and design that simply wasn't there at the start. Additional elements accrued over time as the scope of simulation moved from the narrow focus of Chainmail to the much broader one of D&D; the scientific elements were not the result of consciously leaving a puzzle for posterity along these lines:

darkseraphim wrote:Perhaps, even, the 1974 game was written as a post-apocalyptic setting filled with mutant "monsters" and technological "treasures," where the worlds of (Grey) Hawk and (Black) Moor hide the utmost secrets of the apocalypse under their shared and riddling histories … riddles which were waiting, all along, to be unveiled and appreciated by our deeper understanding.

I don't think this possibility is likely enough to warrant serious consideration.

Also:

darkseraphim wrote:Gary's favorite author Jack Vance wrote The Dying Earth, in which a far-flung and post-apocalyptic world is filled with eccentric wizards who battle and vie against strange monstrosities.  The Hawkmoon stories (of Michael Moorcock), along with Hiero's Journey (Sterling Lanier), Sign of the Labrys (Margaret St. Clair), and Changeling Earth (Fred Saberhagen) — all exceedingly post-apocalyptic works — were also held dear among Gary's favorite tales.  All of these stories inspired pieces of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and all were featured in Gary's recommended reading list for AD&D, Appendix N.  Several of these tales were also included in Gary's earlier "Fantasy / Swords & Sorcery:  Recommended Reading" list as well, featured in The Dragon #4 (December 1976).

On a more general point of method, both Appendix N and the Dragon #4 list contain works that were published after D&D. While I agree that Vance could inspire an apocalyptic/fantastic future, and that there is solid evidence that Gygax had read the Hawkmoon stories before D&D came out, I think it very unlikely that 1973 titles like Changeling Earth or Hiero's Journey influenced the initial setting of D&D in any significant way. Even if Gygax was in a position to immediately purchase new release hardcover books in 1973 (he wasn't), the June 1973 Chilton release date of Hiero's Journey is far too late for it to have factored into the drafts of D&D (and, an affordable paperback didn't come out until 1974).

Saberhagen's Broken Lands series had been around for a while (albeit Changeling Earth only came out in February - still too late to be a practical factor, I'd judge) but if it played such a crucial role in the development of D&D, why didn't Gary trumpet it in any of the earliest lists of influences? The May 1974 Wargamer's Digest? Or La Vivandiere fall 1974? Or the Foreword to D&D itself? Why would he wait until the end of 1976 and suddenly begin talking about it then? Most likely, because he hadn't read it earlier. Even in the DMG, Gygax takes us back to the basics, and affirms, "he most immediate influences on AD&D were probably de Camp & Pratt, REH [Howard], Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, HPL [Lovecraft] and A. Merritt." That list looks quite similar to what we see him say about OD&D in 1974.

But overall, the fact that Gygax at some point read and enjoyed some works of post-apocalyptic fiction should not persuade us that the fantasy of D&D was written from the start as a secret cypher for a particular post-apocalyptic setting. D&D is a tool to simulate multiple settings.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:58 pm 

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: There's a few other things I was going to touch on

You mentioned Tolkien as an example of depicting the past, but that's a matter of interpretation. Many saw the War of the Ring as symbolism for WWII & for modern industrialism, while Tolkien himself denied the former but confirmed the latter. He said that it depicted our world 6000 years ago, but his timeline would also match up with more recent events: the end of Middle-earth's Second Age with the end of the Bronze Age c. 1100 BC (involving the mass-movement of peoples), the settling of the Shire with the Anglo-Saxon conquest of Britain c. 500 AD (each involving two brothers), & the War of the Ring in modern times.

Also the novel I Am Legend, which in its early-'70s film adaption symbolizes the older generation's alienation from a changing society. The main character feels so distanced from all the other millions of people he lives among that it's as if they aren't there at all. The only other people he acknowledges as existing are those goddamn hippies & bikers who manage to raise his ire. My point being that in this era, a lot of writers were using a post-apocalyptic setting to depict the mundane world of the 1970s. Walker Percy's novel Love in the Ruins & the first Mad Max film would be examples of settings that are recognizable as the real world of the then-present day, but with exaggerated social decay.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:58 pm 

increment wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:I think we should take Gary at face value when he said at the time that the D&D rules were intended to simulate a wide variety of different settings, and this is why they incorporate both science fantasy and pure fantasy elements. While of course we could cherry pick items from various charts to say that they make D&D look post-apocalyptic, we could cherry pick other items that make D&D look like Barsoom - tharks, etc. Some artifacts or spells have those science fantasy or post-apocalyptic dimensions to them, and others don't, because D&D was intended to be able to simulate science fantasy and other settings as well.

As for Greyhawk, Blackmoor and the Great Kingdom at large, this is even sketchier. Blackmoor is not a coherent setting, at any point in its existence, and to talk about it one must be very careful to talk about a particular point in time, because it transformed so radically over the years. John Snider's campaign was not part of the Blackmoor campaign either. The two of them intersected, but that's because Blackmoor intersected with pretty much anything Arneson felt like running in the day. From a strictly historical perspective, the Great Kingdom was a medieval wargames setting which was only later retrofitted with magic, and Blackmoor itself followed that trajectory. Greyhawk was a much later invention, but it was stuffed with whatever pop-culture oddities amused the Lake Genevans at the time, and was only loosely coordinated with Blackmoor. There were scientific elements in Blackmoor circa late 1972, no doubt, and I would go so far as to say that Arneson did commonly (but not exclusively) approach fantasy with Clarke's Third Law in mind. But that perspective is only one of several that D&D admits by design.

So I would be very cautious about projecting some intended "hidden meaning" that we're meant to discover behind these settings, like a Da Vinci Code or something. That suggests a level of forethought, coordination and design that simply wasn't there at the start. Additional elements accrued over time as the scope of simulation moved from the narrow focus of Chainmail to the much broader one of D&D; the scientific elements were not the result of consciously leaving a puzzle for posterity along these lines:

darkseraphim wrote:Perhaps, even, the 1974 game was written as a post-apocalyptic setting filled with mutant "monsters" and technological "treasures," where the worlds of (Grey) Hawk and (Black) Moor hide the utmost secrets of the apocalypse under their shared and riddling histories … riddles which were waiting, all along, to be unveiled and appreciated by our deeper understanding.

I don't think this possibility is likely enough to warrant serious consideration.

Also:

darkseraphim wrote:Gary's favorite author Jack Vance wrote The Dying Earth, in which a far-flung and post-apocalyptic world is filled with eccentric wizards who battle and vie against strange monstrosities.  The Hawkmoon stories (of Michael Moorcock), along with Hiero's Journey (Sterling Lanier), Sign of the Labrys (Margaret St. Clair), and Changeling Earth (Fred Saberhagen) — all exceedingly post-apocalyptic works — were also held dear among Gary's favorite tales.  All of these stories inspired pieces of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, and all were featured in Gary's recommended reading list for AD&D, Appendix N.  Several of these tales were also included in Gary's earlier "Fantasy / Swords & Sorcery:  Recommended Reading" list as well, featured in The Dragon #4 (December 1976).

On a more general point of method, both Appendix N and the Dragon #4 list contain works that were published after D&D. While I agree that Vance could inspire an apocalyptic/fantastic future, and that there is solid evidence that Gygax had read the Hawkmoon stories before D&D came out, I think it very unlikely that 1973 titles like Changeling Earth or Hiero's Journey influenced the initial setting of D&D in any significant way. Even if Gygax was in a position to immediately purchase new release hardcover books in 1973 (he wasn't), the June 1973 Chilton release date of Hiero's Journey is far too late for it to have factored into the drafts of D&D (and, an affordable paperback didn't come out until 1974).

Saberhagen's Broken Lands series had been around for a while (albeit Changeling Earth only came out in February - still too late to be a practical factor, I'd judge) but if it played such a crucial role in the development of D&D, why didn't Gary trumpet it in any of the earliest lists of influences? The May 1974 Wargamer's Digest? Or La Vivandiere fall 1974? Or the Foreword to D&D itself? Why would he wait until the end of 1976 and suddenly begin talking about it then? Most likely, because he hadn't read it earlier. Even in the DMG, Gygax takes us back to the basics, and affirms, "he most immediate influences on AD&D were probably de Camp & Pratt, REH [Howard], Fritz Leiber, Jack Vance, HPL [Lovecraft] and A. Merritt." That list looks quite similar to what we see him say about OD&D in 1974.

But overall, the fact that Gygax at some point read and enjoyed some works of post-apocalyptic fiction should not persuade us that the fantasy of D&D was written from the start as a secret cypher for a particular post-apocalyptic setting. D&D is a tool to simulate multiple settings.

Hi Jon, thanks for taking a look.  :)   In interpreting post-apocalyptic influences on early D&D, I think it all depends on how far one wants to go and which influences are considered as primary.  A lot of the discussion could also hearken back to the levels of co-authorship for various incarnations of D&D.

D&D is a synthesis of multiple authors' worlds in a singular and more cohesive form.  Gary's last sentence in the Foreword invites readers into "a ‘world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works."  If we go by other parts of Gary's Foreword, then he specifically cites Burroughs's Barsoom before he does Howard, de Camp, Pratt or Leiber.  He draws a direct parallel to the black pits of Mars and D&D's adventures, making Barsoom just as valid a D&D setting as Hyboria, Midgard or Nehwon.  It's not a random inclusion.  In Gary's words, "Mars is given in these rules, but some other fantastic world or setting could be equally as possible."  Gygaxian D&D might not be directly post-apocalyptic (despite the mentions of androids, cyborgs, machines and projectors), but Barsoom was close enough to Gary's world that Robilar could try to get there by using a giant catapult.  That makes it seem like Gary's D&D world is set on a planet in Barsoom's solar system, not just in the same multiverse.  And as you know it's very possible to equate Gary's world in 1974 with Earth, considering Walworth County of the Great Kingdom, the acknowledged similarities to North America and all that.

The Foreword to D&D also has Gary describing the "weird enclave of ‘Blackmoor'" as being in the same world as the Great Kingdom, along with the Egg of Coot.  Gary was not the sole author of D&D, and he positioned his world as being shared with Blackmoor and Barsoom.  Blackmoor was even more firmly included in Gary's world in 1976, when Mordenkainen and Robilar journeyed to the City of the Gods.  I guess you could argue that they were in a different world than the City of Greyhawk at that time, but then why did they ride horses from Robilar's castle to the village of Blackmoor?  It was all the same world.

Gary also says that he was directly inspired by The Dying Earth and many other things when he was writing D&D.  "When I began to add elements of fantasy to medieval miniatures wargames around 1969, of course the work of Jack Vance influenced what I did."  He then mentions many traditional fantasy writers, and writes that "What I devised was based on the fantastic creations of many previous writers, an amalgam of their imaginations and my own."  So I think you can say that D&D is not a post-apocalyptic game setting by design, but that would be just as selective as saying that it is.  It was a blend of many settings including the post-apocalyptic.  I think many of the glimpses of Blackmoor in particular show that even if Gary was not intentionally creating a post-apoc setting over time, Dave probably was.  Whether that means that Gary's world had post-apocalyptic elements as a matter of design is arguably a matter of semantics.

Of course all of this opens up a lot of questions about OD&D as a toolkit, as opposed to a fantasy setting.  I think the Great Kingdom (including Greyhawk and Blackmoor in its outlands) is the default setting, but only because players and DMs wanted to know about Gary's and Dave's settings so that they could emulate them, but Gary was strongly advocating that 1974 D&Ders should create their own worlds using the rules and their own imaginations.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:38 pm 

A few other notes to consider when thinking about the cross-genre nature of D&D  8)

Rob Kuntz said of fantasy-themed D&D that "its relation to other genres such as SF, Steam Punk, Sword & Planet, Planetary Romance, Post-Apocalyptic and other such related matter has never been far and away from the game as originally conceived and played-tested and that this easily included core matter was instead separated into distinct RPG types for commercial reasons only."
Lord of the Green Dragons: Taking D&D "Back" To Its Future Level:  Part 1

Also of note:
"Even though our genre inclusive game experience was soon to be fragmented into several RPG types—with medieval fantasy claiming sole rights in the original version of the game--this initial segmentation was a weighed choice made for D&D's immediate commercial introduction only.  We had previously felt that the game had more range and infinitely more possibilities than what the lone S&S element produced."
And:
"EGG's up front insistence of Barsoom's relevance in his original foreword had already paved the way for Hiero's Journey in Appendix N.  This ‘addenda' was in fact the natural outgrowth of both our realized views as experienced through play, 1972 onward."
Lord of the Green Dragons: THE MACHINE LEVEL:  SPECIAL WEB INTRODUCTION

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:52 pm 

My specific pushback was against the claim that the setting of D&D is secretly a post-apocalyptic setting, and that it is only with "our deeper understanding" today, as your essay put it, that we can solve this "riddle" intentionally left for us by the game's authors. I don't see you defending that proposition here (which is good), though you make a number of assertions on smaller matters where our disagreement isn't so large that I think I'd need to intervene. We seem to be in violent agreement about Barsoom (which I mention above), say, but to me the presence of Barsoom, or dinosaurs, or Dunsany, or Gor is just more evidence that D&D does not focus on some particular cohesive setting, let alone encode one as a mystery for later scholars.

PreviousNext