Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:59 am 

Hi Kent, i spread the news of the vol." among my friends and this is a first result:

Beyond this point be dragons «  La tana dello sciamano

(sorry it's in italian)

ciaooo

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:07 pm 

I missed the beta reading, which is a shame because I love editing (yeah, I'm weird).
I look forward to digging into it.

I like the title: A combination of Greyhawk and Blackmoor, I assume.

Keith

"Never let it be said I didn’t do the least I could do."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:10 am 

Just finished book 2 and thoroughly enjoyed it. (Left a positive review on Amazon fwiw!!)

Thanks again,
Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:42 pm 

Hi guys, thanks for all of the encouragement, it's much appreciated.  A few replies:

Alexander, I have a few people interested in making physical print versions of these books … I may self-publish or collaborate, I'm not sure yet.  Current timeframe is autumn 2014 but it will depend on a lot of things.  Here's hoping!

Aia, thank you for the great write-up, I enjoyed it!  I will probably be able to offer books 1 and 2 for free again in the fall … right now they're tied up in Amazon exclusivity for promotion but I may offer either a pay-what-you-want .pdf or epub version in the future.  I may support with a blog of dungeon design / history but unfortunately that's too much for me to promise right now.

Keith, glad you like the title.  I wanted something with an ampersand and clear resonances of the old school worlds, without resorting to Dungeons or Dragons.  Book 3 is proving to be a huge challenge to finish (it may have 300-400 footnotes for 250 pages when done), but it's on track to appear relatively soon.  A beta read and edit would be greatly appreciated for that one. :)

Carl, thanks again for the reviews, I saw an upward blip in UK sales so people are taking your words to heart!  I'll try to have book 3 soon but there are some bumpy roads.  Still deciding how much Tekumel / Petal Throne to put in, but I'm currently planning on going very light (it's so easy to dive into and hard to do justice to in a single-chapter format).

Edits and updates were posted for both books I & II last week, with a (thankfully) few corrections and some new material relevant to 1968-1973.

K  PDT_Armataz_01_01

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:15 pm 

Hi everybody, after several grueling attempts and six drafts I have finally managed to create a final draft for HAWK & MOOR Book III:  Lands and Worlds Afar.  :lol:

This one covers 1973-1975, and has lots of details on:  the Tomb of Horrors, the Temple of Elemental Evil, Castle Greyhawk, Dungeonland, the Temple of the Frog, and other settings; lots of details on the origins of monsters such as the otyugh, roper, ixitxachitl, umber hulk and owlbear; fun dungeon stories concerning Robilar, Tenser, Terik, Mordenkainen, Bigby, Erac's Cousin, Ayelerach, Lidabmob etc.; the saga of the development and publication of Supplement I (Greyhawk) and Supplement II (Blackmoor), and much more.  422 footnotes at the moment and more to come.

As an ebook it will be up on Amazon later tonight or tomorrow, for $3.99.  If you would like a free .pdf review copy as an Acaeum member, please PM me here or e-mail me at shadowed (underscore) sky (at) hotmail (dot) com before June 13th.  I will post the Amazon link later when it's up.

Also, now that the planned trilogy is complete at about 600 pages, I'm going to be taking a breather before moving on to Book IV (1976-1977).  Let me know if you're interested in seeing these in a particular format outside of Amazon ... Lulu, CreateSpace, drivethrurpg, epub or what-have-you.  I'm gauging relative interest on alternate formats and would like to know where to go next.

Thanks in advance for any comments, edits, info or reviews, hope you're all enjoying the series  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:22 am 

Hey Kent,

Great stuff!! Do you need help with editing and proofing any more?
You sound like you are cooking along just fine, but wanted to check.

Be well! And keep up the excellent work!!
--Ron--

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:23 pm 

rredmond wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:Hey Kent,

Great stuff!! Do you need help with editing and proofing any more?
You sound like you are cooking along just fine, but wanted to check.

Be well! And keep up the excellent work!!
--Ron--

Hi there Ron, good to hear from you  :)   I don't think I need much of an edit on this one, as the scarcity of sources plaguing Books I & II isn't quite so bad for this time period.  Anyone who has extra info or clarifications for Greyhawk or Blackmoor stories however is more than welcome to correct my sources or to provide more info.  This is mostly just a read for fun.  Glad you're enjoying so far!

Here's the Amazon link:
Amazon.com: HAWK & MOOR - The Golden Age of Fantasy Role-Playing Games: Book 3 - Lands and Worlds Afar eBook: Kent David Kelly: Kindle Store

I'll try to offer Books I-III free from time to time when I can.  Also, to those who don't have e-readers remember that you can install Kindle software on your home computer too.

Enjoy!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:13 pm 

Excellent, just picked it up from Amazon on the kindle.

Guess I could have got it for free from Kent but what can I say, I think I probably owe you four bucks for the reading pleasure I've had thus far!
Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:28 pm 

gyg wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:Excellent, just picked it up from Amazon on the kindle.

Guess I could have got it for free from Kent but what can I say, I think I probably owe you four bucks for the reading pleasure I've had thus far!
Carl

Thank you Carl, I appreciate it! :)  I'm probably going to put up some more free content in the form of a blog, but that's still being worked out.  Stay tuned.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:30 pm 

Hi everyone, I have a few updates to share.  This weekend I'll be updating Books I, II and III with additional material.  There are no significant errors corrected, but some timelines have been shifted with additional information:

I've added about 30 pages across the books, with new Greyhawk adventure tales including the Isle of the Ape, Yrag's feast, the wasted wish and the horn of blasting, the taming of the black pudding by Mordenkainen, the battle for the hexagonal room, and others.  I also added the tale of John Snider and Dave Megarry and the black dragon of Blackmoor, as well as some more details such as:  the font of black flame in Zagyg's dungeon; a bit more detail on the transporter nexus on Greyhawk dungeon level 10; a few more Tekumel details; Tenser's opinion of Robilar's turn to evil; some more experience level estimates for Greyhawk heroes; additional details on the bas-relief face and the demonic problem faced by Ayelerach and Erac's Cousin; a bit more on magic items owned by Gary's characters; details on Mordenkainen's war on the bandits and pirates of the Flanaess; a bit on Erac's Cousin's shape-shifting imp and his arch-devil protector; a little more about David C. Sutherland III in Minnesota; and several dozen other minor improvements that I can no longer remember.  :lol:  Yay for footnotes.

By the way I'm having difficulty replying to PMs at the moment, so if you're waiting for a reply or have a question the Hotmail address is the best one to reach me at for now.

Last but not least, I've started a dual-purpose blog entitled Hawk & Moor.  The blog will be split between DM workshop materials for OSR game masters in support of my Castle Oldskull D&D supplements, and H&M history updates, particularly highly visual stories that are hard to share effectively in text.  Click here for the first history bit, which shows some materials relating to the movie The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle, which appears to be one of Dave Arneson's inspirations for the castle and dungeons.

HAWK & MOOR - Swords & Sorcery and Old School RPGs: The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle

Much more to come, although Book IV is on hold for now because there's so much research to do for 1976.  My next project will be to hopefully add a LOT more detail for the Blackmoor campaign ... but that's a messy project that's been going on for a couple of years so I can't make any promises yet.

Thanks all!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:04 pm 

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:Last but not least, I've started a dual-purpose blog entitled Hawk & Moor.  The blog will be split between DM workshop materials for OSR game masters in support of my Castle Oldskull D&D supplements, and H&M history updates, particularly highly visual stories that are hard to share effectively in text.  Click here for the first history bit, which shows some materials relating to the movie The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle, which appears to be one of Dave Arneson's inspirations for the castle and dungeons.

HAWK & MOOR - Swords & Sorcery and Old School RPGs: The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle

Personally, I'm always glad to see people doing more to promote the history of the game, so thanks!

I'm a bit curious though about how this particular movie "appears to be" one of the inspirations for Arneson's castle and dungeons. This comes up periodically, e.g.:

The Piazza • View topic - [movie] Strangler of Blackmoor Castle
Havards Blackmoor Blog: Strangler of Blackmoor Castle

You can read a few assesments there from people who have watched the film and compared it to Blackmoor. But I'm not aware that there is actually any evidence that Arneson knew this 1960s German slasher film. Is there in fact such evidence, or is this just a "who knows but maybe..."?

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:12 pm 

increment wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:
darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:Last but not least, I've started a dual-purpose blog entitled Hawk & Moor.  The blog will be split between DM workshop materials for OSR game masters in support of my Castle Oldskull D&D supplements, and H&M history updates, particularly highly visual stories that are hard to share effectively in text.  Click here for the first history bit, which shows some materials relating to the movie The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle, which appears to be one of Dave Arneson's inspirations for the castle and dungeons.

Personally, I'm always glad to see people doing more to promote the history of the game, so thanks!

I'm a bit curious though about how this particular movie "appears to be" one of the inspirations for Arneson's castle and dungeons. This comes up periodically, e.g.:

The Piazza • View topic - [movie] Strangler of Blackmoor Castle
Havards Blackmoor Blog: Strangler of Blackmoor Castle

You can read a few assesments there from people who have watched the film and compared it to Blackmoor. But I'm not aware that there is actually any evidence that Arneson knew this 1960s German slasher film. Is there in fact such evidence, or is this just a "who knows but maybe..."?

Hi there, it's not a firm definitive link because the link is undocumented.  8)  Dave Arneson never stated in print that he drew inspiration from the movie, or knew of it.

The tentative chain of speculation I'm using is as follows:  [1] Dave watched the Channel 5 "Creature Feature" movies habitually, and drew Blackmoor inspiration from them. (Dragon #249, pg. 120)  [2] Channel 5 more specifically is KSTP-TV, which ran the "Horror Incorporated" "Creature Feature" midnight movies in the St. Paul region beginning in November of 1969.  [3] The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle, the movie, was released in 1963 (originally Der Wurger von Schloss Blackmoor).  It's a "krimi" genre movie of Edgar Wallace etc.  However, several sites (such as dvddrive-in) note that the movie was "dubbed into English and shown repeatedly on late-night TV in the US."  [4] The Krimi page at Latarnia.com indicates that "Almost all of the German Wallace films were made available in English-dubbed versions for American audiences.  Though a few saw theatrical exhibition, most were first seen on American television in the late 1960s and early 1970s."  [5] Horror Incorporated showed Wallace krimi movies, with one identified example being Chamber of Horrors aka Die Tur Mit Den Schlossern, shown on October 30, 1971.  That's the closest I can get at this time to showing that Dave Arneson probably watched Wallace krimi movies, but unfortunately I have not yet been able to find a broadcast date proving that Der Wurger von Schloss Blackmoor was shown in St. Paul in 1969, 1970, 1971 or 1972.  I'm still trying though.  :?

As you can see there are a lot of links missing, and it's probably impossible to prove that he drew direct inspiration from The Strangler of Blackmoor Castle, but I think it likely and it's pretty interesting.  Besides the Blackmoor character of Skandros the Strangler (a clever and greedy master of disguise), I also like the quote on Final Fantasy Campaign pg. 21, which reads:  "There is supposedly a secret room (of which the Castle has more than its quota) in which the previous Wizard kept his valuables and a small fortune in gems."  Hidden gems are a key plot point in the movie.

That's it for now though!  If I can draw a firmer connection, I'll let you know.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:13 am 

Hi all, the rough draft for Hawk & Moor Book IV is coming along nicely.  I'm currently exploring a few interesting events in 1976 and 1977, such as the Saul Zaentz / Tolkien Enterprises cease and desist letter timing seeming to coincide with the delays in the release of the Monster Manual.  (Did they need to scrub Hobbits and Nazgul out of the MM draft, or were the delays solely caused by printing and binding and order volume issues?)

I'm also tentatively developing a theme where Wee Warriors and Judges Guild basically showed TSR what DMs really wanted in 1976 and into 1977, with Palace of the Vampire Queen and Invincible Overlord representing pre-packaged settings while TSR was pushing do-it-yourself products such as the Monster & Treasure Assortments and Dungeon Geomorphs.  Gygax would then be compelled by the market preference to experiment with dungeon modules in the spring and summer of 1978, and the success of the G series meant that TSR never really looked back at the less-marketable DIY approach very seriously again.

Into all of that I'll be weaving stories of Dave Arneson's arrival, conflicts and departure; Arneson's advocating non-TSR product licensing; the Judges Guild saga; the planning and rise of The Dragon; the "science fantasy" trio of Metamorphosis Alpha, Barrier Peaks and City of the Gods; the curious similarities between Robilar's "orb of clerics" and the yellow skull artifact in T1-4; Sutherland, Wham and Trampier; the writing of the Monster Manual; Tsojconth; more Ultraman and Japanese movie links to the rust monster-type toys which turned into D&D monsters; the Advanced-Basic split and lapsing of OD&D; and of course the story of Dr. Holmes and the creation of the Basic Set.  All of that is taking a long time, and I may end up writing two 200-ish page books detailing 1976 and 1977 separately.

I've also published extensive updates to Books I, II and III, featuring more research focused on things like Blackmoor, Tekumel, Star Probe, and the video interviews conducted by Tim Kask, Rob Kuntz and others.  I did a lot of research on the true history of the "Crazy House" Sanitarium and its educational program under Doctor Mary E. Pogue, which revealed some interesting tangents.  And of course I added some more dungeon exploration stories for 1972-1975.  As a result of these improvements and a dozen other mini-research projects, the book footnote counts have been upped to 280 for Book I (formerly 210), 275 for Book II (formerly 205) and 465 for Book III (formerly 420).  I think the current trilogy word count is about 179,000 up from 160,000.  Thank you to those who have suggested additional research!  I'm sure the finalization of Book IV will result in more refinements to Books I-III which will make them even bigger.

Print versions for I-III will probably be available around October depending on how busy life and career are.  I need to travel for work this fall but I don't yet know how much.

Another interesting bit:  I've been poking around in copyright records looking for copyright registration dates for various things.  Please note that registration dates can vary significantly from publication and/or widespread distribution dates, but I thought collectors and researchers might find some of these interesting:

May 15, 1971:  Lowry's copyright registration for Alexander the Great, Dunkirk and Chainmail (which was released a couple months prior).
January 30, 1974:  Date retroactively applied to original Dungeons & Dragons boxed set (registration A760448) which appears in the Library of Congress July-December 1976 Catalog of Copyright Entries.  A fair reason to call January 30, 2014 the 40th Anniversary of D&D?
June 1, 1974:  Tricolor.
January 15, 1975:  Supplement I, Greyhawk.
February 10, 1975:  3rd Edition (TSR version) of Chainmail.
July 1, 1975:  War of Wizards.
July 1, 1975:  Boot Hill.
August 1, 1975:  Empire of the Petal Throne.
August 15, 1975:  Supplement II, Blackmoor.  Very optimistic early-on registration, since the editing challenges resulted in it being published toward the end of the year.
January 15, 1976:  Supplement III, Eldritch Wizardry.  Probably very early registration while the contents were first being conceived?  Later entries show April 27, which may coincide with getting the first prints back from the printers.  April 27 was during the work week.
March 31, 1976:  Little Big Horn (delayed).
July 21, 1976:  Gods, Demi-Gods & Heroes.
July 31, 1976:  William the Conqueror, 1066.
August 15 & August 31, 1976:  Swords & Spells.
August 31, 1976:  Lankhmar (boardgame).
December 1, 1976:  Metamorphosis Alpha.
February 15, 1977:  Monster & Treasure Assortment Set One.  Also Set Two.
April 25, 1977:  TSR-brand Character Record Sheets.
April 30, 1977:  Tegel Manor (Judges Guild).
July 10, 1977:  The Basic Set.  Zenopus reported on this quite some time ago!
July 12, 1977:  Outdoor Geomorphs Set One, Walled City.
July 20, 1977:  Traveller.
September 1, 1977:  Wilderlands of High Fantasy (Judges Guild).
September 21, 1977:  Dungeon Geomorphs Set Two.  Also Set Three.  I'm speculating that Set Three was available in September and Set Two earlier, but still looking into it.  There's also the Lizard Man / Wizard logo thing to consider.
November 1, 1977:  Campaign Hexagon System (Judges Guild).
January 24, 1978:  Gamma World.
(Also, the 1976 Strategic Reviews and all 1976-1977 issues of The Dragon correspond to dates for the first day of each respective month of release, although as periodicals that is not surprising.)

There's lots more registrations for 1978 onward which I haven't gone through in detail yet.  I may also do this for 1973 novels like Changeling Earth to see if they were published early in the year (hinting Gary might have read them while working on the second draft of D&D), but that's a back-burner thing.

The H&M project continues, I'm not just sitting around but I'm very bogged down for now.  As always, thank you for your encouragement, well wishes, reviews and mentions!  It's all appreciated and keeps me going.

Best,
Kent
8)

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:41 am 

increment wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: But I'm not aware that there is actually any evidence that Arneson knew this 1960s German slasher film. Is there in fact such evidence, or is this just a "who knows but maybe..."?

I'd have to take issue with that requirement. We're talking about historical analysis, yes, so it would be nice to have something fact-based to go on. But we're also talking about artistic inspiration, something for which concrete fact & authors' claims just aren't suitable. A few principles:

1. Authors have a profound disincentive to honestly describe their influences, as it may lead to accusations of unoriginality.
2. How is one supposed to keep track of creative inspiration? Some of it may be coming from your subconscious mind, & you just don't know all the inner workings of your own mind. In the example of Arneson, he may have had a conscious agenda to copy Blackmoor Castle from a movie, or he may have seen it & forgotten about it consciously & drew up the details later without realizing their source.
3. If an author is too direct in explaining influences, one of the principles of storytelling is violated: show, don't tell. When a joke is analyzed, it is no longer funny; when a magic trick is explained, it no longer seems magical. If I'm trying to create a mood by subtly introducing an element that pokes the audience in some way without their realizing it, I'm not going to blow the whole thing in an interview later.

In summation, beware the fate of Margaret Mead.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:
increment wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: But I'm not aware that there is actually any evidence that Arneson knew this 1960s German slasher film. Is there in fact such evidence, or is this just a "who knows but maybe..."?

I'd have to take issue with that requirement. We're talking about historical analysis, yes, so it would be nice to have something fact-based to go on. But we're also talking about artistic inspiration, something for which concrete fact & authors' claims just aren't suitable. A few principles:

1. Authors have a profound disincentive to honestly describe their influences, as it may lead to accusations of unoriginality.
2. How is one supposed to keep track of creative inspiration? Some of it may be coming from your subconscious mind, & you just don't know all the inner workings of your own mind. In the example of Arneson, he may have had a conscious agenda to copy Blackmoor Castle from a movie, or he may have seen it & forgotten about it consciously & drew up the details later without realizing their source.
3. If an author is too direct in explaining influences, one of the principles of storytelling is violated: show, don't tell. When a joke is analyzed, it is no longer funny; when a magic trick is explained, it no longer seems magical. If I'm trying to create a mood by subtly introducing an element that pokes the audience in some way without their realizing it, I'm not going to blow the whole thing in an interview later.

In summation, beware the fate of Margaret Mead.

Requirement? Well, I think different strengths of claims have different requirements of proof, yes. If you make roughly the claim "Arneson drew on the film 'The Strangler of Castle Blackmoor' for his Blackmoor setting," that has a different requirement, let's say, than making the lesser claim, "the film 'The Strangler of Castle Blackmoor' preceded Blackmoor and it's possible Arneson saw it." And there are shades of grey between.

So what was said above? The post reads that the film "appears to be one of Dave Arneson's inspirations for the castle and dungeons." The blog post goes on to say that it "appears" to be "one of the two films that significantly inspired him." The blog post then says of the author of the movie script, "to my mind he is the true grandfather of the dungeons of Castle Blackmoor." I read those (especially the last) as a much stronger statement than "maybe," and yes in my own work I would require a greater level of proof before making such statements.

As I pointed out, this question has come up before, and people who have watched the film and looked at the Blackmoor setting in the past concluded there seems to be little tangible connection - beyond the name. Of course, as you say, he might have incorporated the name without even remembering the film - which he might have seen, or just seen an advertisement for, or whatever. And as you say, no one should rule out a possible connection along those lines. But the name itself is a complicated question. When Arneson first wrote about Blackmoor in May 1971, he called it "the Black Moors." It was not until later that we see the contraction "Blackmoor" - even the DB #13 article still calls it "Black Moor." Now does this rule out any connection with the name of this film? Of course not. But the fact that the name morphed into the same form as that of the film over time does not fill me with confidence in some direct initial inspiration. There are plenty of other, equally plausible ways that the term Blackmoor and the idea of dungeons could have ended up on Arneson's table. As far as I know, we lack any evidence to single out one for special favoritism.

I take your advice to heart, but please do take mine too - beware a return to the dark ages of conjecture, where we jump the rails of history and mix it up with all sorts of speculation. I think folklore and speculation are both valuable, but we need to be careful to keep them cordoned off from what we present as historical facts or even probabilities.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:37 pm 

increment wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:beware a return to the dark ages of conjecture, where we jump the rails of history and mix it up with all sorts of speculation. I think folklore and speculation are both valuable, but we need to be careful to keep them cordoned off from what we present as historical facts or even probabilities.

The choice is either to deal with the question of creative influences, or to not deal with creative influences at all. If the former, then we are inevitably in the realm of speculation. The best that can be done by historians in this situation is to present the evidence (such as details of a movie named Blackmoor), state a thesis that is identified as opinion ("Arneson may have been influenced by.."), & allow the readers to draw their own arbitrary conclusions. Facts may exist, but it is dangerous to rely upon facts regarding artistic inspiration. The point of my earlier post is that artists tend to avoid being open about it, & their most direct statements tend to be deliberately misleading.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:54 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:The choice is either to deal with the question of creative influences, or to not deal with creative influences at all. If the former, then we are inevitably in the realm of speculation.

I am fine with speculation, about creative influences or other subjects, provided it is identified as speculation. My question (and it was a question) above was whether or not new evidence had come to light that elevated this above the level of speculation, given the language seemed to express confidence in this influence. There are cases where influence is a certainty - we know how strongly Gor influenced the Blackmoor setting, say, from a great many pieces of contemporary evidence, and I'm not aware Arneson ever attempt to mislead us about it. From what I have heard to date, there are not comparable grounds to promote this film as anything but a "maybe." If all the blog post had said was "Arneson may have been influenced by..." I would not have poked into this thread. Stating that the screenwriter of the film was the grandfather of the dungeons of Blackmoor... well, that will provoke me to ask a question, and yes, on the basis of the answer, we can all draw our own conclusions.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:01 pm 

increment wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers: If all the blog post had said was "Arneson may have been influenced by..." I would not have poked into this thread. Stating that the screenwriter of the film was the grandfather of the dungeons of Blackmoor... well, that will provoke me to ask a question,

Which is a good reason for the author to make such statement.

PreviousNext