Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers
Author

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:13 pm 

(I felt this might be relevant and interesting to the collector community, but feel free to delete or move if this is regarded in any way as inappropriate.  Thanks!)

Hi all, as some of you know I've been working on various books exploring the history of Dungeons & Dragons for about six years.  The first one I released was Steam Tunnels: The Myth of the Killer Dungeon, telling the tale of James Dallas Egbert III.  Now I'm embarking on a new series of books entitled Hawk & Moor, which is a chronicle of fantasy role-playing's early days.  Book one of that series, The Dragon Rises, is now in final draft form and ready for beta readers.

I have not yet published, as I would strongly prefer to have some smart and respected people (many of whom might have a better grasp on the "secret history" than I) review my work for potential misstatements and errors of fact.  I'd also love to have some feedback on the general style, which I've tried to set in a middle ground between formal and gamer-friendly.

Toward that end, I would like to invite any and all Acaeum members of good standing (say, anyone not banned and with an account established before April 22, 2014) to review a free .pdf copy of my draft.  Feedback and corrections would be greatly appreciated, and anyone who offers aid however minor will be happily added to the acknowledgements.  And if you'd just like something interesting to read, you're welcome as well!

I'm going to hold this beta reading offer open until April 29 (which does not mean I'm placing a deadline on comments!), and will be publishing regular updates to the eBook as further details come to light.  A softcover may follow once I'm reasonably certain that there are no significant errors in the text.  The Acaeum is the only site I am using for this purpose, and I would appreciate it if you would refrain from sharing the final draft outside of my distribution (except via request to me).

Also, please feel free to use this thread for discussion of the series, I have no proprietary hold over any of the "secrets" in these books.  The current draft, covering c. 1970-1972 with some earlier relevant material, is about 54,500 words and 203 pages.  Book II is being prepared for a spring release as well, which covers Dec 1972 - Jan 1974.  If you're interested, please reply to this thread and/or send me a PM.  I will be sending .pdfs via e-mail from my Hotmail account, or via Acaeum PM.

Thanks all!  I appreciate it.  8)

Kent

Last edited by darkseraphim on Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:34 pm 

Congrats on the project!  I respect any labour of love like this that enhances the profile of the early rpg scene.

I'd love to be a beta-reader and would do my best to provide feedback.  I don't have the depth of knowledge that many around the forum does, but I'll try :)

PM coming your way!

I draw the line at collecting... D&D beach towels.

Shoulda been: ".. from Pangreenia to Floratopolis, from mystical Treeonia of spectral Forests to Schruborial dimensions." - The Forests of Leng

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:02 am 

Thunderdave wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:Congrats on the project!  I respect any labour of love like this that enhances the profile of the early rpg scene.

I'd love to be a beta-reader and would do my best to provide feedback.  I don't have the depth of knowledge that many around the forum does, but I'll try :)

PM coming your way!

Ditto!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:16 pm 

Thanks guys, I will probably be sending files out later tonight and will respond to PMs then as well.  I appreciate it!
:)

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:46 pm 

I'd be interested in reading through, and providing feedback where appropriate

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:07 pm 

I'd love to read it but to be honest, it would be for my own benefit.   :)

My contribution to verify any accuracy or clarifications would be nonexistent.  I'm one of those outsiders looking in that wishes he'd been a part of all of it.  :|

Carpe DM!

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm 

Hi cdenham, no matter.  We all wanted to be there and that's the spirit I've this written this book in.  I'll send a copy your way a bit later, please enjoy it.  :)

Everyone, I've used either Hotmail or Acaeum PM to send your materials, although I'm not familiar with the distinction between Acaeum's outbox and sent logs; please let me know if you've been left empty-handed.

Thanks all!

K

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:36 pm 

Yes, I too would be highly interested in that read.
I would be willing to offer my thoughts with comments and perhaps do a preliminary book review.
Or offer my thoughts as to minor editing, if I found anything worth mentioning, but as stated by cdenham; I am no expert on the history of D&D.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:07 pm 

Hi Gnat, sent.  Have fun!  8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:42 am 

I'm submerged by books and magazines waiting to be read so I have to opt out... but as soon as the book is out I'll most surely buy it (will it be available in dead tree form too?  8)
PS: are you planning to release Steam Tunnels: The Myth of the Killer Dungeon in print form?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:54 am 

Sounds interesting.
Are you looking for people to read and offer opinion, or a complete proofread for typos and snafus?
I'd like to read it and let you know what I think, but I don't really have the time for a full proofread etc. right now.
Must go hunt down Steam Tunnels too. That one sounds good to me too.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 am 

Hi Alexander, no worries.  Believe me I understand … I have an entire bookcase of partial reads, and my "to read" list is something of an embarrassment considering my mortality.  Hawk & Moor will probably see physical print after I'm sure there's no major errors.  Steam Tunnels is still being re-edited for print but should be out this summer.  8)

Hi mbassoc, I'm mostly just looking for opinions and any hidden knowledge which might have escaped my attention.  As you know, histories based on valuable collectible rarities tend to be … interesting … in their gaps and sources.  I've edited about 12 times and I think I've got all the typos out, but I'm always inserting updates so there might be a couple still.  I'm certainly not expecting anyone to do a technical proof on my behalf.

You might like Steam Tunnels, although I wrote it because that story always bugged me once I knew the reality behind it.  I kept digging to make it "better" but the sad facts just kept making it worse.  You might be interested in some original research in which I (a) tentatively connect Dallas to the MIT vadding/steam tunnel group by way of early Zork and Infocom, (b) analyze the D&D elements from a long-time DM's perspective, and (c) thoroughly dismantle Detective William Dear's highly questionable take on D&D.  But at its heart, it's a suicide tale without a happy ending.  And the current ebook edition is pretty informal; I write for myself and a casual audience.  Hawk & Moor is my first nigh-"studious" book and I'm prepared to be eviscerated at some point.  :twisted:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:01 am 

darkseraphim wrote in Hawk & Moor: A new D&D book and request for beta readers:Hi Alexander, no worries.  Believe me I understand … I have an entire bookcase of partial reads, and my "to read" list is something of an embarrassment considering my mortality.  Hawk & Moor will probably see physical print after I'm sure there's no major errors.  Steam Tunnels is still being re-edited for print but should be out this summer.  8)

That's great to know, I really look forward to both books  8)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:15 pm 

Hi everyone, thank you for all of your comments and encouragement so far.  I've made a few changes to the book's chronology and footnotes, and have added some additional Gygax and Arneson quotes from other links e-mailed to me.  This is just to let you know that all of your feedback is appreciated, and that the Kindle version of Hawk & Moor Book I is now available.  To celebrate the launch, the book is free (as in beer) to the public for the next few days.  Price after this promotion shall be a colossal whopping $3.99.

Link to book page and free download is here:
HAWK & MOOR - The Pre-History of Dungeons & Dragons: Book 1 - The Dragon Rises - Kindle edition by Kent David Kelly. Humor & Entertainment Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Please remember that even if you don't own a Kindle you can download free Amazon apps to read Kindle books on your computer, iPad or phone.

I'm still happily adding in info and am looking forward to hearing from more beta readers.  I'll try to get a print version out later this year as Book II firms up ... I may pair these together into a single volume to save on the cost to readers.

Cheers!
8)

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:15 am 

Hi all, I just wanted to let you know that Book II:  The Dungeons Deep is now available for the Kindle.  This is the one which covers the design and play of Castle Greyhawk dungeon levels 1 through 13, so it includes all of the tales involving Robilar, Tenser, Terik, Murlynd, Ahlissa, Otto, Lessnard, and the rest of the gang.  You'll find details on the Old Guard Kobolds, thouls, Zagyg, the Nine, Obmi, the City of Greyhawk, and all of that other good stuff as well.  I include notes on character experience levels and estimated chronology.  I also include my own research on the two biggest secrets of the dungeon, the Great Stone Face and the Jeweled Man.  280 footnotes for those who like to prowl out the original sources, too.

This one should be free for a few days starting tomorrow, if I can convince Amazon to start it up then.  After that, it will be priced at a criminally extortionist $3.99.  Enjoy, and happy reading!

Link:
Amazon.com: HAWK & MOOR - The Golden Age of Fantasy Role-Playing Games: Book 2 - The Dungeons Deep eBook: Kent David Kelly: Kindle Store

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:15 am 

If you haven't downloaded this yet, what are you waiting for?
Just finished book one, and can't recommend it enough.
Thanks for making this available.
Carl

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Prolific Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:46 pm 

Hi all, thanks much Carl  :D

And thank you all for your kind encouragement, advice and reviews so far, I deeply appreciate it!  I'm receiving most of my feedback via Hotmail, Facebook and in person, but feel free to PM me here as well.  I have a few pieces of news to share relating to this project:

* Book I has gone as high as #25 in Amazon's bestselling D&D book list, which is both cool and kind of sad.  Hopefully D&D Next will breathe some more life into the game, and I hope we'll see some more old school support as well.  I'd like to see D&D rock the charts this summer.

* Book III is currently being written; this one will cover 1974-1975, including details on Greyhawk's China/Arabia continent, the City of Brass, the Tomb of Horrors, the Temple of Elemental Evil, Empire of the Petal Throne, Ayelerach and Erac's Cousin, Warriors of Mars, the Burroughs and Tolkien cease and desists and all of that other good stuff.

* Feedback received to date has allowed me to make some corrections and additions for Books I and II.  These are not live yet, as they are still being researched and collated, but should be on Amazon by June.  I think Amazon will send notice that a new version is available to prior purchasers as a free download, but I'm not sure

I'll also add some more detailed footnotes as I prepare for hardcopy publication later this fall.

If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, all are welcome!  I'll try to post a notice when Book III is released for those who would like a free copy.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat May 17, 2014 11:31 am 

Can't wait to see a dead tree version of these books! They look really interesting!

Next