2nd Print - Silver back 5%       5%  [ 2 ]
Both 12%       12%  [ 5 ]
None 69%       69%  [ 29 ]
Total votes : 42

Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:43 pm 

Along the lines of my last poll (Please complete if you haven't already)

First Quest Album rarity

Which of the UK Basic rules books do you own:

Page Not Found

1st Print - Blue back
2nd Print - Silver back

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:02 pm 

My assertion is that the 2nd printing is actually much rarer that the 1st print.

In 1978 I bought the 1st print along with several other people I remember.  But sometime after this (probably in 1979) someone brought a copy to a gaming session which had a silver back.  And that is the only one I have ever seen until now.

I have seen in the region of 20 copies over the last 25 years and up until today only one of them had the silver back.

So, are 2nd prints at least ten times rarer that 1st prints?

Front:
http://img53.exs.cx/img53/3230/ukbasic11bj.jpg
Back:
http://img53.exs.cx/img53/5593/ukbasic26xm.jpg
Artwork:
http://img35.exs.cx/img35/5872/ukbasic30ve.jpg

Please comment...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:49 pm 

Well, that seems to have kicked my theory in to touch.  We have a 50/50 split so far.  So, maybe the 2nd print is no rarer.  And I have just been unlucky in only having seen 2 in 25 years.

I suppose that I could argue that members of the Acaeum are more likely to seek out both printings and that the 2nd printing is still much rarer.

Anyone got any comments on the availability of the two printings from other copies that they might have seen in circulation?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:42 pm 

I had a much harder time finding the 2nd print.
I would guess it is rarer, but thats solely based on the time it took to find one.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:03 pm 

Lots of those rulebooks out there WOW!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:31 pm 

As I stated in the other thread, I now have a 1st UK printing.

I've just begun looking for printing differences between it and the 2nd US printing, and I've found a potentially important one already. The text is not identical!

John, (or anyone else), if you have a 2nd UK and/or 1st US, please look at pg. 6, the second-last paragraph on the first column:

1st UK:

"Fighting Men -- any human character can be a fighting man and all hobbits and dwarves are members..."

2nd US:

"Fighting Men -- any human character can be a fighting man and all halflings and dwarves are members..."

[edit]Arg...thought I was onto something there, but it seems that was already known, at least between the 1st/2nd US.  Can you confirm it with the 2nd UK, all the same?

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:50 am 

deimos3428 wrote:if you have a 2nd UK and/or 1st US, please look at pg. 6, the second-last paragraph on the first column:

1st UK:

"Fighting Men -- any human character can be a fighting man and all hobbits and dwarves are members..."

2nd US:

"Fighting Men -- any human character can be a fighting man and all halflings and dwarves are members..."

[edit]Arg...thought I was onto something there, but it seems that was already known, at least between the 1st/2nd US. Can you confirm it with the 2nd UK, all the same?

The UK 2nd also states hobbits.

The UK 3rd states halflings.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:55 am 

Just to bump this poll.  Any more/new owners out there?
bombadil wrote:Anybody recognize the winner?  I can't believe it went for that much:

** expired eBay auction **

This was a very nice second print.  An easy spot as the photo clearly shows the cover has a matt finish.

I still believe that these 2nd prints with the silver/grey rear cover are much rarer than their 1st print counterparts.

'ear all, see all, say nowt.  Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.  An' if tha ever does owt for nowt then allus do it for thisen.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:19 am 

johnhuck wrote:Just to bump this poll.  Any more/new owners out there?

This was a very nice second print.  An easy spot as the photo clearly shows the cover has a matt finish.

I still believe that these 2nd prints with the silver/grey rear cover are much rarer than their 1st print counterparts.

Well, I have one now, a blue one, but ummm......it used to be yours. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:39 am 

bclarkie wrote:
Well, I have one now, a blue one, but ummm......it used to be yours. :P

Yes, and it will be mine again one day! :twisted:

I had two first prints and one second.

Now I must retreat and prepare myself for my next post to be fitting of its status.

'ear all, see all, say nowt.  Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.  An' if tha ever does owt for nowt then allus do it for thisen.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:27 am 

johnhuck wrote:Now I must retreat and prepare myself for my next post to be fitting of its status.

Yeah, you'll need to focus to top M-Ship's effort when he joined the immortals.  :)