s/h overcharging!
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:13 pm 

Yep. I still think you're a fool if you pay it.
I was told long ago that it is illegal to charge "eBay fees". Might want to research that.
If you want to be foolish and pay, then do this: Pay for ONE item. When it arrives, pay for the next. Etc, etc. If there are any issues, rape her with negs and create another eBay account. You mostly buy anyways, so it won't be a big deal.
If you cave in, you just feed the fires of idiocy. But it's up to you.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:47 am 

maxwell wrote:Well I for one am not on aneoth's side. The guy is a liar. I would never ever do any sending or business with him again.

Who rang your bell....?  8O

We (Me, you and the members of this forum) have already been through all of that, and far more than we wanted several weeks ago. Please move one with your life. Why make these accusations and bear false witness now? After all this time?

YOU sent me damaged goods, and now it is painfully obvious that you cannot seem to let it go, and with the statements in your post above, it now also seems likely that you did all of that on purpose as some sort of pay-back for my having won that red box set for the single penny that you started the auction with. Had you ever not noted or cared to ask how much my high bid was for that box set? Was it my doing that no one else bid and it so that I won it for a penny?! Of course not!! Next time perhaps you could BEGIN the auction with your bottom line price, instead of trying to be cute with a one penny starting price.

I have spent large amounts of money on your auctions and if you had not done what you did, then you would have gotten many more USD's from me as well.

I have won lots of other items from those auctions and not a single one of them came to me damaged until that red box set did. That is why I E-Mailed you asking WHY?!?!

All this crap speaks volumes about your own integrity not mine. Calling someone a liar is heavy stuff. But, where and what are the lies? Do you deny sending the unprotected red box set in the large padded envelope loose, with no additional packing, or other means to protect the box and the other contents of the envelope? Do you deny charging me the shipping costs for sending the items in a much safer way??  Does it matter one iota that the box only cost me a penny? HELL NO it does not!!! Especially since there were other far more expensive items sent at the same time, also bounced around in the large envelope unprotected.

Where are my lies? What did I say that was not true?

If anyone here doubts my claims from that situation, then let them ask me. I still have the envelope right behind me with your mailing label attached with YOUR name on it as the sender. And I can take pictures of it if need be, I can even post the pictures right here on this forum for all to see and make their own opinions about which of us is more believable.

Now stop typing silly stuff on your computer keyboard and move on with your pathetic life. Not a single person here believes your accusations and false claims, and if they do then I care not for dealing with them anyway. The fact that you refunded my money also speaks volumes to deny your "The guy is a liar." statement and the fact that after so much time elapsed from that nasty little episode until your post above is not good for your own cause either.

Get on with your life and leave me the hell alone…. This is NOT YOUR personal forum from which you can make false accusations and attempted character assassinations, and it is NOT your web site. If Scott or the Acaeum members wants me gone, then all he or they need do is tell me as much and I would disappear like so much dust in the wind. Until then however, I shall remain a member of this forum for as long as I choose to.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:03 am 

Aneoth wrote:
maxwell wrote:Well I for one am not on aneoth's side. The guy is a liar. I would never ever do any sending or business with him again.

Who rang your bell....?  8O

We (Me, you and the members of this forum) have already been through all of that, and far more than we wanted several weeks ago. Please move one with your life. Why make these accusations and bear false witness now? After all this time?

Guys, chill.  It's not annoying to hear people bitch, (kinda fun, actually), but when it gets personal it just drives off members and wastes everyone's time.  Leave it on the gaming table, and roll the dice to see who's right.   :D    And please, leave the biblical references outta it (false witness?), cuz we all know Odin is the one true god.

Sorry to hear about the excessive shipping/handling, Aneoth.  More annoying is seeing how sellers think that they can charge an additional $5 the second it hits the border.   :roll:

YIM  

** Banned **

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:42 pm 

It's not about the box costing one penny. Its about you saying on the board. "This is the second time I have emailed the seller". That statement is not true.

I refunded all your money and then some. You got to keep the stuff as well. I am sure that getting some bent items and a crushed box with the stuff inside in still decent if not better condition plus all your money back with some thrown in on top because you said in your email" I have spent quite a bit of money on your auctions, probably almost 100 bucks". I sent you 100 USD. So once again you made out like a bandit.

So that is the reason you are a liar. You didnt contact me twice. Only once, and I made everything 250% in your favor as soon as the first email was sent. Keep keeping with the facts so they don't get polluted.

Maxwell

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:47 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Guys, chill.

Amen, brother. Why does this keep getting brought to the forums? First Darkseraphim gets publicly called out, now this. Are we going to lose ANOTHER member (Dark, you are greatly missed) because of what should have been a private discussion?

E-mail or PM is the way to go, not public forums.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:18 pm 

I agree.  Although I can sympathize with some of the issues that have arisen it's better to keep your issues related to eBay sellers/buyers out of here.  It just clutters up the forums and should be resolved privately or through other channels.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:08 pm 

Hey folks. Here is an update on the highest shipping rates on E-Bay and in I think anywhere this side of the moon.

After winning a couple of additional stray listings after the initial auctions from my posts above: Here is the total invoice now due, for all of the items I had bid on before I knew what he meant by combining shipping costs..........

Item #  Item Title  Qty.   Price  
5945289380  AD&D Al-Qadim Lot - All NEW  1   US $46.00  
5945286772  DRAGONS - Valor & Snarl  1   US $10.50  
5945246088  Mark of Amber - Audio CD Adventure  1   US $5.00  
5945245345  AD&D Red Steel - 2 boxed sets NEW  1   US $20.50  
5945244078  AD&D Tomes - The Rod of Seven Parts  1   US $20.55  

Subtotal:   US $102.55  
Shipping and handling via US Postal Service Media Mail: US $43.50   8O  8O  8O  8O  8O
Total:   US $146.05

Aa an answer to my last E-Mail to him he gave me a phone number for at his store. I have called the number several times in the past few days with no answer. He stated that his hours at the store are from 10 AM to 10 PM mountain time. :?

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:06 pm 

I was looking at those auctions.  if it were me that had this happening i would f*** all the auctions not pay and not buy from him anymore.  As a matter of fact I alreay have taken negative feedakcs from a seller in which I refused to cave in to ridiculous shipping cost demands.

besides its not like that kind of stuff is super rare, it pops up every other month or so and you should be used to sellers banning you from their auctions by now (sorry i couldnt resist teehee).

Aneoth wrote:Hey folks. Here is an update on the highest shipping rates on E-Bay and in I think anywhere this side of the moon.

After winning a couple of additional stray listings after the initial auctions from my posts above: Here is the total invoice now due, for all of the items I had bid on before I knew what he meant by combining shipping costs..........

Shipping and handling via US Postal Service Media Mail: US $43.50   8O  8O  8O  8O  8O

Aa an answer to my last E-Mail to him he gave me a phone number for at his store. I have called the number several times in the past few days with no answer. He stated that his hours at the store are from 10 AM to 10 PM mountain time. :?

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:46 pm 

Aneoth wrote:5945289380  AD&D Al-Qadim Lot - All NEW  1   US $46.00  

Okay, we're getting a lot of mileage out of this, but an important question is not being asked: why, when the shipping costs were clearly labeled, was anyone bidding on these items in the first place?

Let me be clear: I'm NOT a big fan of this seller. The official USPS Media Mail chart ENDS at $22.84, which is the cost to send SEVENTY pounds of material. For $43.50, one could, presumably, ship a Yugo. Clearly, this seller is a shameless shipping profiteer of the first order. And Aneoth has done us all a service by warning us about a seller who, without a doubt, does not have their buyers' interests at heart.

However, that's not the whole story. This seller — again, a stone idiot — did indicate, within the listings, the (ridiculous) shipping costs of all of the these auctions, whether it was $10 for a boxed set or $7 for a CD-ROM (Jesus wept). Given that these costs, taken separately, are patently absurd, why would anyone think this seller would suddenly provide a huge savings for multiple wins :?:  :?:  :?: I'm going to steal a line from John Cleese's Sir Lancelot here: such a thing is obviously not part of this seller's idiom. You're not going to get a bargain from a rip-off artist, especially after the sale has been made.

Sorry, but there were warning signs (including specified shipping costs) all over these auctions — anyone who proceeded to place a bid did so at their own risk. As I mentioned in another post, I don't enjoy defending moronic sellers, but we haven't been telling the whole story here.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:31 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Hey folks. Here is an update on the highest shipping rates on E-Bay and in I think anywhere this side of the moon.

There's about, what, 10 or so boxed sets in there?  Even so, you're being overcharged around $20 or more on shipping, particularly if he's going media mail. I would offer to pay the amount (the mistake is yours since you didn't double check his shipping amounts, I've done the same thing before) but make very clear you will leave NEGATIVE feedback for each and every item purchased because you will be unhappy with the final transaction if the shipping charged is substantially more than what is on the box when you recieve it.  Whether or not you follow up on the threat is up to you; hopefully this will lead to working out a solution that is less onerous monetarily. I noticed he has not had a negative in almost a year, perhaps he would like to keep his feedback clear.  Also, I noticed he mentioned "combined shipping for discount" in the description: did he indeed do this?

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:34 pm 

He returned an E-Mail today and I learned that the shop is closed on Mondays, so that is why no answer on the phone. He did not tell me in his previous E-Mail that his store would be closed on Monday.

It was not JUST the shipping costs alone that tick me off here, though they are indeed ludicrous by themselves.

He states in all of the listings and in all of the invoices sent to me that he ships using parcel post, then says in the SAME invoice that the items will be sent out by Media Mail. They are most certainly not the same things.

Also, he stated to me BEFORE I bid on multiple items of his that he would combine shipping costs........and lower costs considerably. Admittedly his idea of considerable is far from my own.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:00 pm 

Again....
Have him ship the items one at a time and pay for the next item after the first is received.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:02 pm 

Aneoth wrote:He returned an E-Mail today and I learned that the shop is closed on Mondays, so that is why no answer on the phone. He did not tell me in his previous E-Mail that his store would be closed on Monday.

It was not JUST the shipping costs alone that tick me off here, though they are indeed ludicrous by themselves.

He states in all of the listings and in all of the invoices sent to me that he ships using parcel post, then says in the SAME invoice that the items will be sent out by Media Mail. They are most certainly not the same things.

Also, he stated to me BEFORE I bid on multiple items of his that he would combine shipping costs........and lower costs considerably. Admittedly his idea of considerable is far from my own.

Isn't media mail a form of parcel post (written materials such as books, recordable materials such as cds, tapes, etc), just cheaper?  I'm pretty sure they ship the same way (surface mail by truck or train instead of air) just media mail is cheaper.

I just had a situation where a seller informed me BEFORE the auction that insurance was optional, then after I won the option insurance was MANDATORY because of the fragility of the items (Huh?).  I paid for it, but he definitely will not get postive feedback for his "bait and switch" tactics.

Just for curiousity's sake, how much did he offer to "combine" the purchases for?  Apparantly not very much.  Please remember to let us know exactly how much postage is on the box once you recieve it...

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:33 pm 

BadMike

Did you get my PM this afternoon? If not, then please look at your messages.

BTW: According to the USPS Web Site shipping costs for a 15 pound package from his address to my address should be:
For Media Mail (5-7 days) $6.34;
For Parcel Post (2 days) $13.38. Again according to the USPS Web Site.
So apparently they are NOT the same thing......

That means that if he mails the package by Media Mail (As he stated in a previous e-mail to me), then he is overcharging for shipping by $37.16. 8O  He is charging almost 6 times the actual shipping costs...... 8O  8O  (5.86 times to be exact).
I have no problems with a guy making a little extra from shipping items through E-Bay, but that is Simply rediculous. :roll:

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:42 pm 

Aneoth wrote:So apparently they are NOT the same thing......

They're definitely not the same. Different restrictions, different price structure, etc. Plus, parcel post is zoned; media mail is strictly weight-based.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:56 am 

About Media Mail vs. Parcel Post:  They "are" and "are not" the same thing.  Everyone is right.  As Badmike said:  They are the same in the respect that Media Mail is Parcel Post for "Media".  They are handled, treated and shipped the same way the by the USPS.  The only difference is the rate structure which is much less.

What that means is that:  If someone is unaware and is intending to send books by Parcel Post, they are essentially sending it Media Mail, but paying the Parcel Post rate.  In all situations where this has arisen, I have explained it to the seller and they have agreed to send it Media Mail.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:10 am 

beyondthebreach wrote:About Media Mail vs. Parcel Post:  They "are" and "are not" the same thing.  Everyone is right.  As Badmike said:  They are the same in the respect that Media Mail is Parcel Post for "Media".  They are handled, treated and shipped the same way the by the USPS.  The only difference is the rate structure which is much less.

What that means is that:  If someone is unaware and is intending to send books by Parcel Post, they are essentially sending it Media Mail, but paying the Parcel Post rate.  In all situations where this has arisen, I have explained it to the seller and they have agreed to send it Media Mail.

BTB is correct.  Parcel Post and Media Mail are mailed exactly the same way; however, Media Mail is cheaper but is also slightly more restrictive.  In effect it's a form of Parcel Post that the USPS gives certain allowances to so it's cheaper to mail this way, but the items have to fit the criteria.

My friend in the PO explained it to me today: Media mail used to be called "Library Mail" or "Book Rate" because it was a special designation of 4th class or Parcel Post used by libraries to mail books, video tapes, CDs, etc.  However, anyone can use it.  I suspect it came around because typically local libraries are constantly cash poor and anything that can help them save money is good for struggling library. There are certain restrictions:  Technically, it can only be used to mail "Media" as defined by their rulebook, which generally means books, cassette tapes, CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes, Record albums, etc (Interestingly, magazines are NOT considered media mail, probably because they carry advertising).  Personal correspondence, raw meat, any publication with advertising inside, Grandma's cukoo clock collection, a car engine, tonka toys, etc cannot be shipped media mail and must be mailed parcel post.

That's the theory; in practice, however, if you bring a box to the USPS counter and say it's books and needs to be mailed media mail, unless they are incredibly bored or incredibly paranoid and decide to open the box, it can go out media mail.  If the item, when shaken, emits a sound like broken glass I would suspect they might decide your item is not media mail and refuse to mail it as such.  I would also suspect that may be construed as mail fraud.  I can say from experience that from hundreds and hundreds of mailings, I've never had the contents of a box opened although I have been asked on numerous occassions "What is the contents?" or "Are there books inside?" when requesting media mail over parcel post.  

I would suspect that "technically" many D&D items are not media mail; boxed sets, miniatures, dice, gaming magazines, would not be media mail as defined. All rulebooks would be, and I make a case for modules being media (I've mailed them as such for years) since they pretty much fit the criteria, and if some snoopy Inch High Private Eye type in the postal fraud dept ever opened one of these, they would appear to be books of a sort, so there.  I have actually been slightly hassled a few times upon mailing very large and heavy packages as media mail instead of 4th class parcel post (since they were losing a considerable amount in postage) but both times the contents were actual D&D novels and modules and I offered to open the boxes right then and there to prove so, and they backed down and gave me the media mail rate.  

So, the windy explanations aside, it appears your guy, Aneoth, is pretending to charge you 4th class parcel post rates while sending the items out the cheaper, but equally slow, media mail rate.  Actually, he is raping you on shipping costs either way, but the way he presented it makes it even sleazier.  I'm with Dreadlord, if this guy wants to eff with you then pay for each item with a seperate payment and demand each be sent in a different, separate box (say they are gifts to different gaming buddies and you want to keep the contents seperate for gift wrapping ease!), give him this hassle if he is going to be such a dick. He'll wish he cut you a deal after he has to package and mail all that stuff.

I got your PM today Aneoth I'll email privately when I get the chance..

Mike B.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:07 am 

Badmike wrote:I can say from experience that from hundreds and hundreds of mailings, I've never had the contents of a box opened although I have been asked on numerous occassions "What is the contents?" or "Are there books inside?" when requesting media mail over parcel post.

I've actually been experiencing a surge of media mail resentment with some postal employees lately, including a number of packages being opened and inspected. Also, has anyone else seen new media mail signage in their local post offices? I've seen a number of signs lately that say [paraphrasing]: "We reserve the right to inspect ANY media mail package." The signs I'm talking about have red lettering on a white background.

Also, does anyone else sell comic books? Now, THAT is always an interesting discussion to have with a bored P.O. employee. Are they or aren't they media mail? What about if they're from the '70s and all of the advertising is obviously totally outdated? I've gotten MULTIPLE answers to these questions; it depends on who I'm talking to ...

I actually don't mean to sound down on media mail. It's a wonderful (and cheap!) service, provided both buyer and seller are in agreement about using it. It just seems that some of my local USPS employees are beginning to suspect that a lot of eBay sellers are S-T-R-E-T-C-H-I-N-G the boundaries of what is an acceptable item. Has anyone else noticed any backlash ... ?

PreviousNext