s/h overcharging!
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:48 am 

Badmike wrote:
Blackmoor wrote:This happened to me in the summer.  Guy wanted to charge $10.00 to ship a single module to me (he lives in the US and I in Canada).  When I complained he told me it was due to the extra complicated customs paper work.  I told him to shove it.

Never did get a neg though?

I charge a flat $8 to ship to Canada, $7 is for the global priority envelope and $1 for handling, but I'll cram as many items as the buyer wants into one envelope for the single price.  BTW, the extra complicated customs paperwork takes exactly 1 minute to do.....

Mike B.

Thanks Mike, us backwords igloo dweeling canadians appreciate efforts like yours. :)  :)  :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 11:51 am 

draco76 wrote:hehe well I could almost understand it being international.  I have a negative from a asshole in Canada, guy want to charge me $15 for ground on a single book I won for $5.  

RUDE (constant swearing/name calling). Gave proof of shipping 2 lb book to US.        Seller   jkhxx ( 10213)         Nov-14-03 11:14        3564294092
Reply by swg_dealer: OUTRAGOUS S/H Hidden Rate 4-6 weeks shipping look at his feedback I should have.         Nov-14-03 11:32
Follow-up by jkhxx: If your not sure how intl shipping works you SHOULD e-mail first!F- Ebayer AVOID

eBay Feedback Profile for jkhxx

LOOK at this guys feedback how the hell is he still on ebay????????
I mean really this guy is a POS!

Let me see, the 161 negs in one year wasn't a tipoff you shouldnt be doing business with the guy? I mean, if you walk in a bad neighborhood at night with a $100 bill pasted to your forehead, whose fault is it when you get mugged? Plus never buy from anyone with feedback under 98%, and never buy from anyone who is obscure about shipping prices..you're only getting setup for a fall.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:02 pm 

Badmike wrote:Let me see, the 161 negs in one year wasn't a tipoff you shouldnt be doing business with the guy? I mean, if you walk in a bad neighborhood at night with a $100 bill pasted to your forehead, whose fault is it when you get mugged? Plus never buy from anyone with feedback under 98%, and never buy from anyone who is obscure about shipping prices..you're only getting setup for a fall.

Mike B.

I should add that last year I didn't follow my own advice and got screwed. A guy charged $15 shipping for a box of magazines, I didn't think about it until I got the items....no padding, no bags on the mags, nothing, just a stack of magazines rattling around in a cheap cardboard box....no insurance, no delivery confirmation...and the shipping on the box was not even $8.  I was so shocked, the guy had like 100% feedback too.  I can't believe if that was part of his usual MO he hadn't got more negs, but in truth he was upfront about the cost so I only had myself to blame for not saying something at the time.  

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 12:07 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
Badmike wrote:
I charge a flat $8 to ship to Canada, $7 is for the global priority envelope and $1 for handling, but I'll cram as many items as the buyer wants into one envelope for the single price.  BTW, the extra complicated customs paperwork takes exactly 1 minute to do.....

Mike B.

BTW, have any of you US sellers or Canadian buyers had an item returned due to the new "security" measures supposed to keep the world safe from harm?  The security measure where you have to write the addressing info in ALL CAPS or they threaten to return the item? Ditto if you don't include the full name of the addressee.  I haven't had a problem yet, I'm wondering if it's more bark than bite, but I've been capitalizing my addresses on Canadian orders regardless so something doesn't sit in customs for weeks.

Mike B.

Thanks Mike, us backwords igloo dweeling canadians appreciate efforts like yours. :)  :)  :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 2:17 pm 

well I don't look at everyones feedback before I bid sometimes... that was one of them.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:33 pm 

This has happened to me once, where the guy wanted to ship everything seperately after he told me he would combine it "AFTER" I emailed him and asked if he would combine it. Of course thank the gods, I had saved his e-mail quoting him telling me he would. So he cussed me out in an email and sent me the package.Well, I was very surprised to see the package! I opened it up and there were the modules all CUT UP! But the funny thing was--I was so surprised to see the package because I NEVER SENT THE PAYPAL! I double checked it and  I never sent the payment. So I figure the guy is just a total nutcase right? I guess he got so mad he just couldnt think straight--serves him right.
         My vote has to go with the majority--finish your checklist first:ie--chk feedback/chk payment options/ chk where pkg is coming from-as overseas have different laws concerning this kinda thing, I believe you have to deal with THE SELLERS "LAWS" not the United States laws as far as getting ripped off and all that. And if the seller decides he is going to rip you off on shipping, ask him to combine shipping or you will not buy(In a nice and polite way,e-mail has a way of being read "wrong/offensively".

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:02 am 

Well he told me he always combines shipping costs for multiple wins in his auctions: Here is his invoice.....

Item #  Item Title  Qty.   Price  
5945244078  AD&D Tomes - The Rod of Seven Parts  1   US $20.55  
5945246088  Mark of Amber - Audio CD Adventure  1   US $5.00  
5945245345  AD&D Red Steel - 2 boxed sets NEW  1   US $20.50  

Subtotal:   US $46.05  
Shipping and handling via US Postal Service Media Mail: US $21.00     MEDIA MAIL!?
Total:   US $67.05  

Combined Cost for all the items above was 46.05
Shipping was half the total cost.... and it is MEDIA MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
His original listing notes 10 bucks for the first two Box Set listings and 7 bucks for the CD Adventure. Combining Shipping costs only saved 6 bucks!?!? WHY BOTHER????

Yes, I know the combined costs still make this a good deal overall, but I hate being robbed like this by shipping costs. And its not like he admitted it was handling costs either. He said it was shipping costs. and it is MEDIA MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a deal!! I should have bought ALL of this guys stuff!!!!
Then I could have paid hundreds to ship what should only cost 10.
I just mailed off 10 pounds of books by Parcel Post (2 days delivery) for HALF that much!!!!!(10.55) AND IT WAS NOT MEDIA MAIL!!!!!!

I just won two more of his auctions for two more box sets and I am now being charged an additional 12 bucks!!!!!!!! 8O  
$33 shipping charges for five box sets and one CD!!! 8O

Simply rediculous!!!! :roll:

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:21 am 

best tell us who the culprit is so we can avoid him as well.

Thanks

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:57 am 

Man Anoeth; you've had some bad luck lately. Banned from auctions, crushed boxes, and now being way overcharged for shipping. Are you kidding me talk about the pitfalls of collecting 8O ; you might take Frank's place as the Acaeum's bad boy :twisted: . What I love about you is you're not afraid to speak out when you feel you've been wronged, most people including myself say #$@# it and just move on to the next. I've realistically been collecting RPG's for ten years now and only been buying on the Bay for about a year 1/2 and I've had more disputes than I care to discuss :x . I've just given up and take the good with the bad, but I guess that's always been my collecting philosophy. One day you get a Jade Rabbit :wink: in a Basic boxed set and the next overcharged shipping on a few common modules it's crazy :lol: . I pray the 05 will bring better collecting days for you, but feel free to keep up the ranting I love reading you're posts. Keeps me informed! :D

BTW The Acaeum has three South Florida members that I now know of! Pete one of the two came over for a game last night. We had a blast playing and stayed up late chatting about old modules and such. Lots of fun.  :)

We discussed having a meeting of the Acaeum in Florida like the Texas gathering. If you're interested speak up and we'll get it together.

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:50 pm 

You're an idiot if you pay him the shipping. Honestly, I'd tell him to shove the auctions up his ass.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 3:49 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:You're an idiot if you pay him the shipping. Honestly, I'd tell him to shove the auctions up his ass.

Too right. Keep your money and BLAST the guy with negatives. Then please post a link to the auctions here, so that I can add this guy to my No-Way List.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:04 pm 

Whoops, never mind — I see you included the item numbers above.

Man, is this guy an idiot; why don't some sellers realize that this sort of thing will cost them future business?

Just taking the Rods auction as an example, it's interesting to note that $10 will send TWENTY-SEVEN POUNDS worth of goods via media mail. For $7.70, he could use the new Priority Mail flat-rate box and everyone would be happy. Of course, I realize he is a shipping privateer and making people happy doesn't matter to him, but still ...

On the other hand, he did clearly list the shipping cost in the auction. I loathe defending idiots, but that should have been a huge red flag to any potential bidders.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:37 pm 

Aneoth wrote:Well he told me he always combines shipping costs for multiple wins in his auctions: Here is his invoice.....

Item #  Item Title  Qty.   Price  
5945244078  AD&D Tomes - The Rod of Seven Parts  1   US $20.55  
5945246088  Mark of Amber - Audio CD Adventure  1   US $5.00  
5945245345  AD&D Red Steel - 2 boxed sets NEW  1   US $20.50  

Subtotal:   US $46.05  
Shipping and handling via US Postal Service Media Mail: US $21.00     MEDIA MAIL!?
Total:   US $67.05

UPDATE! Take a look at the very bottom of the auction pages — under "seller's instructions," we have:

"Shipped by parcel post. Will offer discount shipping if purchasing multiple auctions. Please contact me immediately upon winning. Shipping quote is for USA only. Canadians add $5.00 to shipping quote."

You should now DEMAND that these go out parcel post instead of media mail. You've also got a very legitimate beef, should this matter ever need to be reviewed by eBay or PayPal: every seller is responsible for their own words.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:50 pm 

Deanna Hunt <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

The shipping fees help to cover our cost on the ebay items.  Everything you've purchased is brand new.    I'm sorry if you feel this is unfair, but  you have saved almost $100.00 from retail prices even with shipping cost.  We did state the fees and we did give a $2.00 discount for each item won.

Thank you,
gamecastle22

Deanna,

Thanks for responding. Please send me one invoice for the grand total I now owe for all of the auctions that I won from your listings. Please DO NOT refund two dollars per item. I want to be billed for the total of all of the items and all of the shipping costs as well, including the e-bay mark up. No need to give me any breaks.

But, in return for my money, I want something too. I want your word that the items will be SAFELY packed and SAFELY shipped in a TIMELY manner by PARCEL POST, not by Media Mail... I just want the items to arrive at my shipping address safely. That is all I want.

If all of that happens, then we can part friends and move on.

Thanks aneoth

Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:53 pm 

Now, this is what I wanted to send to her, but decided not to.

Deanna,

"The shipping fees help to cover our cost on the ebay items."

If that is the case, then please STOP calling them SHIPPING costs in your listings. As you stated below, they most certainly are NOT all shipping costs. They are shipping, and handling, and E-BAY COSTS.... and simply padded price costs.

"I'm sorry if you feel this is unfair, but…."
Of course it is unfair. That's why I e-mailed you folks to voice my thoughts on the matter. As I stated in my last E-Mail. I shipped 10 POUNDS of hardback books for 10.55 Yesterday and the buyer will get his items in 2 days. How long will it take to get my items using media mail at a far higher rate….

We both know it does NOT take 33 dollars to ship 10 or less pounds of stuff to ANYWHERE in the USA. So please stop calling your charges SHIPPING costs!

"…you have saved almost $100.00 from retail prices"

No kidding? Do you think perhaps that is why 150 million people shop on E-Bay?
They shop on E-Bay to save money, not be ripped by silly shipping costs. I could have saved some money on some of those items by going to the game shop down the road a bit. I thought as an experienced E-Bay seller your store would give me a better break on the shipping than you did. My mistake, in thinking good things….

"We did state the fees and we did give a $2.00 discount for each item won."
What a generous offer… not….

I have a better plan, instead let's help out your retirement account a tad more; you can keep your 2 dollars for each auction…. BUT, in return I will require that each and every item by well packed in its own protective shipping box. Not a padded envelope, and not loosely packed in the box so that they flop about in the box and become damaged in transit. If ANY of the items come to me messed up in any way, then of course I shall give your store negative feedback on each one that is damaged…. And by the way I want them ALL shipped parcel post. As your auction states. NOT BY MEDIA MAIL….

I shall await your revised invoices for each separate auction.

Aneoth

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:20 pm 

invincibleoverlord wrote: Man Anoeth; you've had some bad luck lately. Banned from auctions, crushed boxes, and now being way overcharged for shipping. Are you kidding me talk about the pitfalls of collecting 8O ; you might take Frank's place as the Acaeum's bad boy :twisted: . What I love about you is you're not afraid to speak out when you feel you've been wronged, most people including myself say #$@# it and just move on to the next.

I mind not at all being labeled the "Acaeum Bad Boy".

"….you're not afraid to speak out when you feel you've been wronged …."
You are quite right.

One of the few things that will get me riled to the point of anger is when someone is trying to rip me off. I will simply NOT allow it... for any reason.  :evil: I don't give a hoot who they are, or who they know... A rip off is a rip off.... and I will not stand by being shy :oops: nor will I ever be too embarrassed :oops:  to say something while someone takes my families hard earned money by screwing with me, or my family. :evil:

If I get booted off of E-Bay because I have stood up for my right NOT to get screwed, then I do not need E-Bay….and to tell the truth I never really did anyway. I have only been on E-Bay for two years and was just as happy not knowing it was even there.  :idea: And I had more spending money then too..... :roll:

If I am eventually booted for receiving too many negative feedbacks, for not taking any crap from a-holes like the one above, then I will simply find another source for my collecting habits. Or find another hobby altogether. Or, perhaps I could start improving myself through taking college courses and collecting hours instead of collecting D&D books, D&D modules, and boxes of D&D stuff, and fancy paper cards with stats and pictures of millionaire football players on them....

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:43 pm 

Aneoth is experiencing the same frustrations I had when I was buying heaps of stuff on Ebay.  Aneoth is not a bad boy :? he just wants the stuff he bid on shipped to him for the price he paid and to arrive in good shape.  The way I look at it is if you are going to charge higher shipping just SAY IT IN THE AUCTION AND IT BETTER ARRIVE UNDAMAGED.  I do not mind paying a little more as long as it gets to me in good shape.  I go through this a little myself; it seems most of the sellers are way more interested in getting the cash as appossed to actually send a quaility item safely.

Just my two cents :cry:

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:12 pm 

Well I for one am not on aneoth's side. The guy is a liar. I would never ever do any sending or business with him again.

PreviousNext