When does rarity trump condition?
Poll: When does rarity trump condition?

Never, if it looks like trash, take it to the curb on Tuesday. 10%       10%  [ 3 ]
Only in the case of one-of-a-kind or very rare items. 28%       28%  [ 8 ]
If I do not already have the item, I will use it as filler until one in better condition comes along. 41%       41%  [ 12 ]
Condition? No worries, I want to read/use it anyway. 17%       17%  [ 5 ]
No big whoop. My kids use my collection as coloring books anyway. 3%       3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 29

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:31 pm 

What is your take on the importance of condition?  Personally I will purchase and item I do not have in trashed condition if I can get it at a reasonable price.

A couple of examples:

Never hear of this, happy to get it at this price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Misty Isles with condition problems:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT

Or one from my collection:
Error 404 - Not found
Does anyone else have one of these with a cover?  The last time I asked here no one stepped forward.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:12 pm 

What is your take on the importance of condition? Personally I will purchase and item I do not have in trashed condition if I can get it at a reasonable price.

Personally, I don't care too much about condition...but that's probably a price-range thing.  I can live with most minor bumps, tears, pencil or pen marks, even deliberate 3-hole punches.  They're all signs of genuine wear and I consider them almost "patina".  Maybe I've been watching too much Antiques Road Show.

I really get turned off of auction items that are stained or show signs of gross neglect -- it's like a slap in the face of the item.  Silly I know, but I kept my personal collection in good shape and I expect others to show the hobby the same respect ;)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:28 am 

I am pretty particular about my "collection" items. If it is trashed or shows obvious wear, I don't want it.

This mostly stems from the fact that I am a limited topic collector. I only go after 1st Edition AD&D and D&D (not OD&D) stuff. Since I already have 90% of that stuff, I can be picky on the remaining items. Also, I collected these things as they came out so I am not scrambling to fill large holes of expensive and mint items. For example, I bought all the B and X series modules as they came out, so I am not searching for that mint B10 or the like.
Disclaimer: I am no visionary, though. If I was, I would have bought 10 of everything!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 10:13 am 

I am with deimos here. Another bad thing about items that are in mint condition is that you sometimes consider not opening/reading it just because you could accidentally create a stain, bump or tear that would instantly evaporate those 10+ $ you paid for the items condition alone. With an EX/EX version of the same item that is not that much of an issue and I would be much more easy with taking it off the shelf and reading it. And I am certainly not the person that throws out the money just to have a "play copy" aside from a pristine shrink-o-fantastic collection version :) . So Everything going from EX to Very Fine+ is OK for me.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:24 am 

I would love to have SW copies of all the rare items and even some or most of the uncommon items that I collect. At least those that originally came in SW anyway.

Like many others here, I normally consentrate on First Edition D&D and First Edition TSR items. I do not ever intend to be a re-seller, so I try to obtain the best copy of each item so that I will not have to go back to E-Bay so many times looking to upgrade.

That said, I still do not hesitate overlymuch to look for less than SW, or less than Mint items either, especially since my collection is so full of holes that I am really not too picky all the time.

Plus when purchasing larger lots, there will always be a few items that were basically trashed by some previous owner, so having some low grade items is unavoidable if like me you sometimes obtain larger lots.  :x

Eventually I will have a trash sell on E-Bay to empty my poor overloaded bookcases of those particular items. :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:55 am 

I am a big collector of all the D&D and AD&D lines (All editions) and always go for the best I can afford.  If trashed is the best I can afford I will get that item just to be a completist.  I do not have an unlimited purse like some of those on this forum, but I still have a gigantic collection of games and mini's.

Thanks

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:05 pm 

lol my collection is gigantic but its mostly B2's lol

sucks being poor don't it?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 12:09 pm 

draco76 wrote:lol my collection is gigantic but its mostly B2's lol

sucks being poor don't it?

B2!  Rummage Rummage

I think I am missing that one!

What is it about?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!