A meeting of Acaeum members located in North Texas
Author

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:10 pm 

This thread is mainly for those of you who read this forum and also reside either in or close to Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas..... But the invitation is open to anyone who will travel to Frisco, Texas for a meeting next Saturday afternoon, or at noon.

This meeting plan came about due to a thread I placed on the Acaeum a few weeks ago:

Location of Forum Members: I am in Texas, where are you?

In that thread, I was asking where everyone lived and I was somewhat shocked and pleasantly surprised at the number of members of the Acaeum who live in Texas. So, I asked some of them to consider having a get together/meeting.

I have already written back and forth with several of the Acaeum members who live in the North Dallas area, and we have basically agreed to meet at the parking lot of the mall in Frisco, Texas (Just north of Dallas) and to afterwards decide where to go from there.

We have now also come to a somewhat tentative agreement to meet next Saturday preferably right at noon or some other time during the early afternoon.

One person mentioned meeting inside the Dave and Buster restaurant/pub at that mall, but to keep things simple for all who might want to meet, let's agree to meet in the parking lot, and then go from there. It should be much easier to recognize a small group of folks there, than in a crowded pub.

The mall (for those unfamiliar with Frisco) is at the northwest corner of the intersection of Highway 121 and Preston Road (Also known as Highway 289) just north of Plano, Texas, and nearly evenly located between McKinney (To the East) and Louisville (To the West).

If you wish to meet next Saturday, and do not want to post here, then please either E-Mail me or PM me with a message through the Acaeum. I hope to gather a list of folks to better plan where to go from the parking lot. Please keep in mind that D&B's will most certainly be very packed and the mall will be extremely crowded on any Saturday that near to Christmas.

This meeting is not being sponsored by the Acaeum and the Acaeum is not responsible for it in any way.

Aneoth

Edit-addendum: In case of inclement weather, and as a better means of knowing who is who, the first meeting place has now been revised to:

We will meet inside the Frisco mall and in the Barnes and Noble Bookstore, at the D&D Section, also in the Fantasy/Science fiction section of the store. The Barnes and Noble Bookstore is a two-story store and the AD&D section is on the top floor, across from the Cheesecake Factory, near the South side of the mall.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 6:51 pm 

Love to ... how much petrol do you think it would take to drive to Texas from Australia  8O

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:25 pm 

Well, when I was in Australia (1983), I took a flight from Sydney on an airplane to Dallas, Texas and that took two full days, with stops in New Zealand, Hawaii, and Los Angeles before finally arriving in big D.

As for driving, I have no idea, but I strongly suspect the filling stations will be few and far between...... so carry extra cans of gas in the vehicle for sure, and plenty of grub. The drive will take a while and there are no cafes or rest stops along the way as far as I know, except in New Zealand of course, but after that, then none until Hawaii.

Once you hit the mainland though there should be no worries. As there will be plenty of rest stops and plenty of food and gas, and quite often in many cafes you can get both the gas AND food from the same plate…… 8O  :(  :lol:

You are of course quite welcome to come by though, but if so, then I recommend taking a plane trip. It would be much faster and in the long run cheaper really.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:43 am 

Aneoth wrote:
Edit-addendum: In case of inclement weather, and as a better means of knowing who is who, the first meeting place has now been revised to:

We will meet inside the Frisco mall and in the Barnes and Noble Bookstore, at the D&D Section, also in the Fantasy/Science fiction section of the store. The Barnes and Noble Bookstore is a two-story store and the AD&D section is on the top floor, across from the Cheesecake Factory, near the South side of the mall.

Guys;

I'll be there unless unforeseen circumstances interrupt.  I've never actually been INSIDE the Frisco mall, it seemed like a doomed enterprise with all the traffic that way (although I've been to the Half Price Books in the shopping center behind the Mall on occasion).  We should have something to identify each other, it sounds like the punchline to a bad joke to have me have to walk up to a bunch of nerds in the gaming section and say "Hey, you Aneoth?"  In that case, I"D be the nerd in question.  I know!  I'll be wearing a B2 on a chain around my neck....
   I plan on bringing a few goodies to show off; I don't know if anyone else will bring anything, but I'll try and gather a few oddball items both TSR and non-TSR in case anyone is interested; any suggestions from those attending? Excluding stuff like R-Series, Orange B3, RPGA series, etc; just my luck they would be stolen out of my car by a very disappointed thief while I was in the mall....Currently I'm looking at the top of my desk and recent reading material; I have The Temple of Andar by World of Vision; The Convert by Frank Mentzer for New Infinities; Mountain of Mystery by Dimension Six Inc.; and Plague of Terror by The Companions at hand so these will probably go with me unless you guys just aren't interested in odd non-TSR stuff.
  I'll also make this offer in honor of the first North Texas Acaeum meeting; if you foot the bill, we can head over to Kinkos afterwards (there has to be one nearby, right?) and I'll run a photocopy of anything I bring just in case it's something you are interested in and want to have a "reading" copy.  
     I'll be the short, chubby guy with glasses and the bad mullet in the gaming section of B&N...oh wait, crap, that's everyone in the gaming section....just kidding about the mullet.
   So is anyone else a definite for this Saturday?

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 8:23 am 

Unless a family emergency occurs, I will be there.  I take it the concensus time to be there is at noon?

I probably don't have any rare or interesting D&D goodies that everyone doesnt already have so unless someone has any interest in a near mint copy of Amazing Spider-Man #4 or a Jack Kirby signed copy of Last of the Viking Heroes I will arrive with just the clothes on my back.

Speaking of clothes, I should be easy to identify.  A little over six feet tall wearing a St. Louis Blues hockey jersey....probably the only person in the entire city that owns one.   :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:02 am 

I will be the big guy (6 foot and xtra-large) with the dark beard and eyeglasses. I doubt that I have any items that you guys would not already have, so I will not likely bring anything.

But, I would like to see the other things you both mentioned though, and perhaps a copy of one or more of them would be cool too.

See ya'll there on Saturday then....  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:33 pm 

I wonder how the North Texas meting is going. I wish I could be there, I'm sure they'll have a blast. When one of you Texans sign-on give us an update. It's 1:30pm (EST) here, so it's 12:30pm there. Have Fun……………………… :D

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:53 pm 

It was a blast.  :!:  :D

We met at the Barnes and Noble bookstore as stated above and after introductions we talked for a few minutes, and then hunger took over our minds and we headed next door to a California Style Pizza place to have lunch. We then talked all through that and then as we had taken up a table in a crowded restaurant for too long one of us thought we should vacate so that others could sit down for dinner, so we then headed back to the bookstore and occupied an uncrowded Starbucks inside and we were able to talk at leisure for another 3 hours or more......

This was only my second ever visit to a Starbucks Coffee shop, and the first time was just last night, after dinner with some friends. My only two visits to Starbucks and they were on consecutive days… Go figure. :roll:

The subjects of our conversation ranged from TSR games, to Gygax and friends, to the TSR/WOTC transition period, to artists, and writers of RPG items, to the appalling lack of interest from the powers that be in holding any sort of decent GENCON or similar convention in North Texas, to our individual collections, not just D&D items either, to on-line happenings, to wish lists for D&D and non D&D stuff, and to what our favorite modules or games are, which video, or computer games we play if any, whether any of us still play tabletop D&D. Only one of us does still play on a regular basis, but we learned that all of us want to. Unfortunately, we have been thus far unable to find enough folks to start a game going close to our homes. BadMike being that exception, he has been DMing for gazillions of years with friends and family near his place and still does to this day, but he said that he can never seem to find anyone to DM a game for him to play in. Poor guy, but at least he gets to delve into role-playing, even if only as a DM. And that is more than I can say.

I'll trade with ya BadMike...  :wink:

It was also quite interesting to learn that we all seem to collect more than one sort of seemingly unrelated item. For instance I also collect (older) Pro and non pro Football Cards, while another person collects antique video games and game boxes and still another collects ALL sorts of RPG games and supplements, and he has traveled all over the USA and while doing so visited many garage sales, old book stores and various other places building up an immense stock for his on-line business.

I must admit that I was humbled by my relative lack of knowledge and at the same time I was quite impressed with the other guy's knowledge of all things RPGish….

Overall, I believe it was a resounding success and before parting ways late this afternoon, we all agreed that we must have another meeting at some time in the near future.

Personally, I had a lot of fun talking D&D and other things with like minded folks. And I truly recommend this sort of thing for all the others here who have folks with similar interests near them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:15 pm 

I have to agree with the previous post by Aneoth.  We had a lot of fun talking about D&D and collecting in general.  It was nice to meet other like-minded individuals and discuss interests intelligently.  Normally I wouldnt even think of driving to a jam-packed mall during the holiday season to meet up with a couple of strangers, but I am glad to say that I did.

However, next time we need a few more people if possible and let's try to find someplace to sit down and talk that has a couch or two.  My ass is still killing me after sitting in those Starbuck's chairs for three hours.  :mrgreen:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:50 pm 

Aneoth wrote:It was a blast.  :!:  :D

We met at the Barnes and Noble bookstore as stated above and after introductions we talked for a few minutes, and then hunger took over our minds and we headed next door to a California Style Pizza place to have lunch. We then talked all through that and then as we had taken up a table in a crowded restaurant for too long one of us thought we should vacate so that others could sit down for dinner, so we then headed back to the bookstore and occupied an uncrowded Starbucks inside and we were able to talk at leisure for another 3 hours or more......

This was only my second ever visit to a Starbucks Coffee shop, and the first time was just last night, after dinner with some friends. My only two visits to Starbucks and they were on consecutive days… Go figure. :roll:

The subjects of our conversation ranged from TSR games, to Gygax and friends, to the TSR/WOTC transition period, to artists, and writers of RPG items, to the appalling lack of interest from the powers that be in holding any sort of decent GENCON or similar convention in North Texas, to our individual collections, not just D&D items either, to on-line happenings, to wish lists for D&D and non D&D stuff, and to what our favorite modules or games are, which video, or computer games we play if any, whether any of us still play tabletop D&D. Only one of us does still play on a regular basis, but we learned that all of us want to. Unfortunately, we have been thus far unable to find enough folks to start a game going close to our homes. BadMike being that exception, he has been DMing for gazillions of years with friends and family near his place and still does to this day, but he said that he can never seem to find anyone to DM a game for him to play in. Poor guy, but at least he gets to delve into role-playing, even if only as a DM. And that is more than I can say.

I'll trade with ya BadMike...  :wink:

It was also quite interesting to learn that we all seem to collect more than one sort of seemingly unrelated item. For instance I also collect (older) Pro and non pro Football Cards, while another person collects antique video games and game boxes and still another collects ALL sorts of RPG games and supplements, and he has traveled all over the USA and while doing so visited many garage sales, old book stores and various other places building up an immense stock for his on-line business.

I must admit that I was humbled by my relative lack of knowledge and at the same time I was quite impressed with the other guy's knowledge of all things RPGish….

Overall, I believe it was a resounding success and before parting ways late this afternoon, we all agreed that we must have another meeting at some time in the near future.

Personally, I had a lot of fun talking D&D and other things with like minded folks. And I truly recommend this sort of thing for all the others here who have folks with similar interests near them.

It's great to get together with like minded individuals...where else can you get through a conversation mentioning words such as  "ST1",  "Cougarretard", "Foulfoot", "Acaeum", "Frank Mentzer" and "Gencon" without having to stop and explain yourself. I think we'll definitely be doing this again, hopefully we can get more North Texas members (heck, anyone within driving distance of Dallas is invited) to come next time.  

It's always fun to put a name to the face, and even though I brought me digital camera so as not to leave it inside my car in a mall parking lot during holiday season, I completely forgot to get a photo of this historical first (as far as I know) meeting of Acaeum members!  ARRRRGH!  Could have posted the photos and you would have seen that yes, indeed, we were NOT dead ringers for Matt Damon, Brad Pitt and Ben Affleck.  

I have to admit my biggest surprise, being as insulated as I am from "normal" collectors (that is, collectors who actually have a life not intrinsically intertwined with RPGS, aka regular lives and jobs), that the few non-TSR items I brought which I consider pretty mundane were completely unknown to the other two guys.  A lot of that 80's non-TSR stuff I consider vastly superior to TSR items being published at the same time, it's a shame that most of it is not better talked up or publicized by collectors lucky enough to run across it, there are some great supplements still waiting to be discovered by the collector that "has everything" in regards to TSR items.  When next we meet, guys, I'll try and dig up some other fun items to look at and discuss.

Another item of discussion that really struck me was the lack of gaming oriented conventions in North Texas now and for the last few years, which makes like-minded individuals getting together even more difficult.  Maybe at the next Sci Fi or Comic convention in the area we can get together and put together an old-school pickup game in the open area (using basic or 1st edition rules, natch) to possibly attract other collectors who don't know about forums like the  Acaeum and are "lurking" out there, waiting for a sign.  Maybe me running a game with a vintage pastel covered B1 with Aneoth and King rolling crappy chipped plastic dice and using figures from the original Grenadier Wizzards and Warriors boxed mini set can ferret out some true believers.... :wink:

Anyone, thanks for the great afternoon guys, thanks to Aneoth for having the idea in the first place and going the extra step of actually contacting everyone, let's keep in touch and plan another meeting for sometime after the holidays....

Mike B.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:10 pm 

Bah, Dallas isn't North Texas... Lubbock is North Texas, Amarillo, too.  :P

Of course, there is nothing way out here. Nothing. Oh well, hopefully I'll be moving in half a year or so to greener pastures.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:03 am 

outskirtsofinfiniti wrote:Bah, Dallas isn't North Texas... Lubbock is North Texas, Amarillo, too.  :P

Of course, there is nothing way out here. Nothing. Oh well, hopefully I'll be moving in half a year or so to greener pastures.

Funny you should say that.  Since I am from the Amarillo area and lived in Amarillo for ten years up until '99.  I have always said that they should call that area 'North Texas' but for some reason people have to screw it all up.

Oddly enough I played more D&D while living in Amarillo than ever before or since.  There was a store called Games Plus that sold D&D and other games and also sold quite a bit of the OOP stuff during the early 90's.  Big Apple Comics sold a lot of the new stuff and had quite a few gamers in the store at all times especially Fri. and Sat. nights.  Keep looking and you are sure to find others with the same interests.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:32 pm 

I'm in McKinney.  Let's play!!!!!!!!!!!!

[email protected]

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:00 am 

Saturday, the 22nd there will abe a meeting at Madness in McKinney.  Madness is on the west service road of hw 75 in McKinney between Virginia St. and White St.  I wanna play, so get there!!!!!