Finieous Fingers items - what exists?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:09 pm 

OK, so maxwell's post in the Classifieds at viewtopic.php?t=1401 got me thinking about a complete listing of FF stuff.

I know that FF appears in The Dragon (issues 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 through 22, 25 to 28, 30, 33, and 35), Space Gamer, and what else??  (I'm ignoring the non-Webster written content from Shadis Magazine from c. 1994-96).  Dragon Publishing printed the Finieous Treasury too, of course.

I know of two different sets of miniatures that were issued:  the Finieous Phigures and the Thunderbolt gold-plated miniatures.  What else exists---are maxwell's dice real???

As an aside, J. D. Webster has some new comic strips at Home - EarthLink Mobile  I've tried to write to him to see about publishing a complete collection of the FF strips, but haven't heard back yet....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:21 pm 

I seem to remember a compilation book of comic strips, too.

Also, just to get you thinking. Someone put together an AD&D tournament style event featuring FF and his crew. I played in it but do not remember a whole lot. But it was a larger tournament run at either Gencon or Origins back around 1984-5.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 4:39 pm 

bbarsh wrote:I seem to remember a compilation book of comic strips, too.

I think that was the aformentioned "The Finieous Treasury"?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:27 pm 

I seem to recall that he also appeared in Tim kask's "Adventure Gaming" magazine, although I don't have the specific issues immediately at hand.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:13 am 

bbarsh wrote:I seem to remember a compilation book of comic strips, too.

Also, just to get you thinking. Someone put together an AD&D tournament style event featuring FF and his crew. I played in it but do not remember a whole lot. But it was a larger tournament run at either Gencon or Origins back around 1984-5.

Ooooh, now that sounds like fun!  Anyone know if this was an RPGA tourney?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:14 am 

Desuma_Malevois wrote:I seem to recall that he also appeared in Tim kask's "Adventure Gaming" magazine, although I don't have the specific issues immediately at hand.

That's right!  I picked up the first two of these issues recently, and saw that FF would debut in issue 3 (hmmm, a trend, perhaps?) IIRC.  If anyone has a complete run of this series, would you be so kind as to dig up the FF issues?

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:45 pm 

grodog wrote:
Desuma_Malevois wrote:I seem to recall that he also appeared in Tim kask's "Adventure Gaming" magazine, although I don't have the specific issues immediately at hand.

That's right!  I picked up the first two of these issues recently, and saw that FF would debut in issue 3 (hmmm, a trend, perhaps?) IIRC.  If anyone has a complete run of this series, would you be so kind as to dig up the FF issues?

Apropos of absolutely nothing, but wasn't Fineous Fingers the most unfunny comedy comic strip about gaming ever published?  It ranks even below Snarfquest, because at least Elmore could draw.  It always seemed that the FF author tried to get humor out of relatively mundane things (look, the wizard is wearing sunglasses and his name is Bored Flak, ha ha ha).  I just never got the hype, even 20 years ago.  
  Just for conversation, top "unfunny" strips IMO were FF, Snarfquest, What's New with Phil and Dixie, and the absolute worst piece of gaming "comedy" dreck ever published, Nodwick (or as my brother likes to refer to it, Shitwick).  I'd rank Dork Tower as non funny simply because the jokes are so incredibly telegraphed as to make the punchlines superfluous.
   The following gaming related comics have made me laugh out loud on at least a few occassions:  Knights of the Dinner Table (the pinnacle of gaming humor), Yamara, Zogonia, and PVP which is quickly becoming one of my favorites.  I don't know where I'd rate Wormy...was it technically even a humor strip?  I know I enjoyed it but I wouldn't call it funny except in spots.  Likewise KODT Illustrated, it's much funnier to watch the guys playing the characters in KODT than it is to actually SEE the adventures happen in KODT Illustrated.  I'd rank that under "borderline unfunny" just because of this.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:50 pm 

The last story line that ran in KODT was the funniest of all time.  Tremor and Carvin Marvin the intelligent swords go head to head and slaughter everybody. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Where do they come up with this stuff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:03 pm 

Dork Tower has my vote for not only being not funny, but as BadMike said, the "jokes" are so telegraphed and obvious that they're an insult to my funny bone.  
Plus the "artwork" is crude and unappealing.  
Do folks really like Dork Tower or is everyone just too polite to tell Kovalic that he just ain't funny?  I've actually been wondering about this for a while...  :?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:43 pm 

dathon wrote:Dork Tower has my vote for not only being not funny, but as BadMike said, the "jokes" are so telegraphed and obvious that they're an insult to my funny bone.  
Do folks really like Dork Tower or is everyone just too polite to tell Kovalic that he just ain't funny?  I've actually been wondering about this for a while...  :?

I've long said that anyone could write a Dork Tower strip.  1st panel, set up basic premise as game store owner and shopper talk in a store:   "You know, despite what people think, gamers are some of the most average and normal people I know".  Following panels, hammer home this main point ad nauseum. "We pay bills.  We go to movies. We drive cars. We shop at malls. We eat at fast food restaurants." Penultimate panel, wrap up supposition. "Yep, when it comes down to it, we are just like anyone else."  Then hit us with the incredibly telegraphed punch line in the last panel:  Fat short character enters store wearing tights, antler ears, big red nose and is carrying a light saber yelling "Bring on the bikini clad elf babes!!!" Store owner says "I stand corrected." Yuk, Yuk, Yuk.
    BTW, if you see the aforementioned strip, remember it was here first so I can sue Kovalic for every cent he has.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:49 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:The last story line that ran in KODT was the funniest of all time.  Tremor and Carvin Marvin the intelligent swords go head to head and slaughter everybody. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Where do they come up with this stuff

The 100th issue of KODT will soon be published, and this strip STILL comes up with new and funny stuff every month.    Jolly just seems to hit exactly the right take on everything gaming he lampoons. Sheer genius.
   PVP is rapidly becoming a favorite of mine, also.  Hope he can sustain the humor past the first year or so.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:51 pm 

dathon wrote:Dork Tower has my vote for not only being not funny, but as BadMike said, the "jokes" are so telegraphed and obvious that they're an insult to my funny bone.  

One more thing to add:  At least when it ran in Dragon magazine, Dork Tower was only one page.  Why on earth did crap like Nodwick get two entire pages, AND in color?  Just appalling.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:16 pm 

I agree with most of the above... my opinion (FWIW) is that Wormy was the greatest comic strip of all time - not just gaming related, but in all genres. No obvious humour, but it was there, layered over with fantastic artwork, engrosing story lines and characters that had personalities instead of being straightmen or punchline deliverers. I don't remember the issue it appeared in (I think it was one of the last issues Wormy appeared in), but the strip where Bender kills the swamp monster and he and one of the trolls float down the underground river to the city - you turn the page as they arrive and there is the city, full page colour and finely detailed. The most fantastic thing I've ever seen in a comic strip.

After Wormy, all the other Dragon strips just didn't cut it. None of them were even remotely funny - Nodwick, Dork Tower etc just stunk. I guess FF was OK, and the early Yamara could make me chuckle on occasion, but if they weren't in a particular issue I didn't usually notice.

The one exception was KODT... absolutely superb, and unbelievably funny.

Regards

Mike

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:10 pm 

I second that motion ... Wormy was definitely a cut above the rest.

I love the mystery surrounding Trampier's disappearance.  Although it saddens me that we will never see Wormy again.  :cry:

Here's a question for <Burnt> .. you don't have any of Trampier's Wormy artwork?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 7:47 pm 

It's been mentioned in previous posts, but an update on tramp can be found here:

newshound.de.siu.edu/online/stories/sto ... eader$1382

I think the consesus is that it is THE Dave Trampier. Story is dated February 2002, so not sure if he's still there.

As it happens, I'm flying out tomorrow to Chicago, to spend Christmas with my girlfriend's family. Carbondale is in southern Illinois, and I was seriously thinking of driving down there and try to find him. I figured it might be worth a shot.... perhaps convince him to start drawing again.

Regards

Mike

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:52 pm 

mdr003 wrote:It's been mentioned in previous posts, but an update on tramp can be found here:

newshound.de.siu.edu/online/stories/sto ... eader$1382

I think the consesus is that it is THE Dave Trampier. Story is dated February 2002, so not sure if he's still there.

As it happens, I'm flying out tomorrow to Chicago, to spend Christmas with my girlfriend's family. Carbondale is in southern Illinois, and I was seriously thinking of driving down there and try to find him. I figured it might be worth a shot.... perhaps convince him to start drawing again.

Regards

Mike

Cabs are ridiculously cheap in Carbondale, apparently...  8O

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:05 pm 

improvstone wrote:Here's a question for <Burnt> .. you don't have any of Trampier's Wormy artwork?

Sorry, we only had 2 Trampier pieces and they weren't Wormy. Wormy was great, definetly the best Dragon strip. SnarfQuest was close behind, can't lose with that awesome Elmore artwork.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:07 pm 

I go to SIUE , edwardsville IL, SIUC is the sister college about 1.5 hours away.  I was considering going there after next sem but I dunno :D

SIUC is in Carbondale, IL pretty good drive from chicago.

Next