Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings)
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:39 am 

misterspock wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):Next up...the inimitable Clyde Caldwell. I thought I'd do a little "stump the forum" here. Maybe you can guess where this is from. I'll even give you a hint...it's 1st edition, and it's (obviously) not a cover! :)

Looks like a chapter illustration from a DL novel to me??

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:20 am 

misterspock wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):Next up...the inimitable Clyde Caldwell. I thought I'd do a little "stump the forum" here. Maybe you can guess where this is from. I'll even give you a hint...it's 1st edition, and it's (obviously) not a cover! :)

Not too dificult on this one, though I have some others may test the forum.

I dont know why (since i am not into this topic) but this reminds me a miniature boxed set cover...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:51 pm 

ooops, Forgotten that this may be more difficult than I was originally thinKing...

That was a good guess about the miniatures, though!

I'll post the answer later today.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:57 pm 

The Caldwell piece is the first interior piece from module RPGA3, The Forgotten King. Actually the guess on the miniatures was close since the characters illustrated are actually found in the box set 5307 RPGA Figure Set 1 that TSR released.

Which segues us into this 1983 Jeff Easley painting. I did post about this previously, but not sure if anyone missed it...
For the TSR 5307 miniatures box art. I'm not sure why this cover art wound up not being used and the Tim Truman b&w one was used instead.
Attachment:
Easley RPGA MiniaturesBoxArt IMG_00016.jpg

The 5307 box set can be seen here
http://dndlead.com/TSR/boxed-sets.htm#thumb

(original post)
Easley unpublished box art for RPGA Set 1 miniatures 5307

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 pm 

misterspock wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):I'm not sure why this cover art wound up not being used and the Tim Truman b&w one was used instead.

A couple of thoughts: the Truman piece was the cover art for the first module covered by the mini set; the box cover (and I say this without having copies on hand, so I cannot verify) is two colors, which is cheaper to print than full color.

I'm leaning waaaaay towards number 1 myself.  :D

Art of dragons doing what dragons do. Site of a friend. Dragonstuff

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:46 am 

That Willingham piece is fantastic!

I've always loved the way Caldwell does his Black Dragons too, so thanks doubly for sharing!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:08 pm 

SimperingToad wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):A couple of thoughts: the Truman piece was the cover art for the first module covered by the mini set; the box cover (and I say this without having copies on hand, so I cannot verify) is two colors, which is cheaper to print than full color.

I'm leaning waaaaay towards number 1 myself.  :D

Yeah, maybe this particular set was released around the time TSR wanted to get out of the miniatures production and decided to save money in the printing.

biopunk wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):I've always loved the way Caldwell does his Black Dragons too, so thanks doubly for sharing!

You're welcome! I've got a bunch more Caldwell pieces to show later on.

Amidst the ton of inks, drawings and paintings I have, I should say my collection primarily focuses on 1e and 2e D&D. However, I do have some other game artwork, such as from FASA's Shadowrun and Earthdawn, to name a few.

This next one up is a 1982 Larry Elmore ink ... a very early Elmore illustration not too long after he got hired at TSR.

Attachment:
Elmore IMG_00017.jpg

This is from the Gamma World module "Famine in Far-Go". The youths are hearing about the "Rite of Adulthood"

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:20 am 

Love the Elmore piece. I think the two facts that it is from his early career and also is rather different to much of his other work makes it a stand out collectible.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:48 am 

Happy Belated New Year everyone!

Here's another couple of specials from 1980 to share with you all ...

these two were box cover concepts done by Jim Roslof for what would become the Moldvay/Cook Basic Set that was released in Jan of 1981

Attachment:
Roslof D+D BasicSet 1980 concepts IMG_1731.jpg

I really liked the Otus artwork (goes without saying :) ) but one or both of these could've been cool too, even for something else.

I'm not sure how many have seen some of this production concept work. Do you recall these or others Frank?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:01 am 

Here's a published interior by Jim Holloway from the 1982 module R1 To the Aid of Falx by Frank
(I think Jim did the illustrations for the module towards the end of 1981)

It's noted on the bottom left as illustration #8 for "PRGA" :)
The initials on the bottom right are Jim Roslof's signature along with the percentage to shoot the art at.

Attachment:
Holloway R1 pg10 IMG_1732.jpg

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:16 am 

misterspock wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):
these two were box cover concepts done by Jim Roslof for what would become the Moldvay/Cook Basic Set that was released in Jan of 1981

Haven't seen these before.. Nice.. reminds me of the cartoon adds done in the 80's.. there was a 4 panel series of them? .. here down the bottom of ths blog (after a quick search) do we know who did these adds?

The Realm of Dungeons & Dragons: The Good Old Days

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:42 am 

Willingham did those four ads. There may have been another one or two that he didn't do, but those on that link are his.

I'm not sure if he was still illustrating at the time or only writing, but I wish he had done that DC series for the D&D Forgotten Realms comic books. I would've liked them much better with his art (and writing)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:25 pm 

Here's a very early Tim Truman piece from 1981 after he graduated college. One of his first professional jobs at SPI on DragonQuest 2nd edition "The Enchanted Wood".

Attachment:
Truman SPI DragonQuest2e TheEnchantedWood IMG_1744.jpg

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:11 am 

Misterspock, are all those the original artwork?  That stuff is great. How did you get it all?  Persistence? Money? Both?  I am green with envy. So cool. Oops. I sound like a middle aged fan boy.

Peter Green

It isn't easy being Green

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:06 pm 

Awesome! Willingham and Jeff Dee are my two all time favorite AD&D artists.

Any chance of posting a pic of that MM cover that could be used for computer wallpaper? I'd love to colorize it and wall paper the laptop with it. And the PC. And the house. LOL!

Visit the Back In Print website...where OOP is Back In Print!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 pm 

Peter Green wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):Misterspock, are all those the original artwork?  That stuff is great. How did you get it all?  Persistence? Money? Both?  I am green with envy. So cool. Oops. I sound like a middle aged fan boy.

Peter Green

sorry for the delay...just a busy schedule right now. Glad you like the artwork! It's great to be able to share these.

Yes, they are all original artwork. I mostly collect original pieces, but I do have a few prints and even some color proofs of some TSR covers. That reminds me that I should take some photos to post of those since they'd be interesting to discuss. For certain it's way harder to get in now on stuff than it was several years ago.

Yes, it definitely takes persistence on getting any of the artwork, and sometimes A LOT of persistence. Of course money is definitely a big factor too, akin to buying the printing rarities that are listed on this site (and definitely higher) for cover paintings especially.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 pm 

Halaster Blackcloak wrote in Vault of the Draw(ings), Paint(ings) and Ink(ings):Awesome! Willingham and Jeff Dee are my two all time favorite AD&D artists.

Any chance of posting a pic of that MM cover that could be used for computer wallpaper? I'd love to colorize it and wall paper the laptop with it. And the PC. And the house. LOL!

Thanks a lot! Glad you like the pieces too.

Unfortunately on the MM cover, I can't post anything further that could be used for that or printed, etc. I do know what you mean, and I know it would be cool to be able to do that, but somehow the artist (and possibly Hasbro/WotC?) should be compensated or have permission granted if it were ever put out there in that format.

btw, I'll have to post some Stephen Fabian artwork soon too. They used so many great artists over the years.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 pm 

S F is one of my favorites, especially in publications like Weirdbook. I don't own any originals but these are 2 of my favorites by him

Hope I am not thread-jacking, keep up the great work misterspock!

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

PreviousNext