Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:31 pm 

Sounds fun! Did you go to the Convention? I went on the Friday.

You are missing Dragonmeet by a week - its on the 7th December in london.

Cheers,
karen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:52 pm 

We went on Sunday.  So we missed "my" Doctor (Tom Baker, who was only there Saturday), but my youngest got to hug his Doctor (Matt Smith).  The good part was the special had already aired, so they could actually talk about it on the panels.  It was a lot of fun, but they could have done a better job with signage.  Too bad we're missing Dragonmeet, but if I stay any longer I won't have any money left.   :roll:  :lol:

And for what it is worth, Stonehenge was awesome, even if you can't get very close to the stones anymore.  They are REALLY big.   8)

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:54 pm 

Hi,
I don't mean to clog up the general discussion thread with an advertisement - but - some members here have said they wanted me to let them know when the next issue of the fanzine I self publish comes out, and it has(!).

For anyone with interest please see the new posting I put up in classified for AFS magazine #4.

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:38 am 

Scalydemon wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:...
For anyone with interest please see the new posting I put up in classified for AFS magazine #4.

Thank you and Happy Holidays

Thanks Scaly!

--Ron--

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:57 pm 

Is it me, or do the Jacksonville Jaguars currently have the ugliest uniforms in the history of the NFL?

The owls are not what they seem...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:15 pm 

I'd have to vote for the Frankford Yellow Jackets, NFL champs in 1926.

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:23 pm 

Strat, wondered if you have watched the tribute to your argument that Emmitt Smith isn't the greatest RB of all time, "A Football Life: The Great Wall of Dallas".  A great documentary that premiered this week on the NFL network of what was one of the greatest offensive lines of all time, the early 90s Cowboys group including Nate Newton, Erik Williams, Mark Tuinei, Stepnoski, etc. Pretty cool stuff, there was even some stuff in that I didn't know.  I had forgotten how great Williams was...would have been in the hall of fame if he hadn't gotten into that car wreck.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:55 pm 

a dear friend of mine (and fellow strat-o-matic player) mentioned it to me earlier today. he lives in the DC area and mentioned how a local sports guy there got his panties in a twist because the Washington Redskins "Hogs" offensive line of the 1980's was not proclaimed as the greatest o-line ever in the documentary. the hogs would have to get in line behind at least a couple of other teams (70's Dolphins have Langer/Little in H-O-F and Kuechenberg is an 8-time finalist; 1971-1973 Raiders have Otto/Shell/Upshaw AND Bob Brown in the hall of fame. How'd you like to run behind THAT line?).

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:08 am 

stratochamp wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:a dear friend of mine (and fellow strat-o-matic player) mentioned it to me earlier today. he lives in the DC area and mentioned how a local sports guy there got his panties in a twist because the Washington Redskins "Hogs" offensive line of the 1980's was not proclaimed as the greatest o-line ever in the documentary. the hogs would have to get in line behind at least a couple of other teams (70's Dolphins have Langer/Little in H-O-F and Kuechenberg is an 8-time finalist; 1971-1973 Raiders have Otto/Shell/Upshaw AND Bob Brown in the hall of fame. How'd you like to run behind THAT line?).

That Raiders line was ridiculous. How else did a no-talent like Stabler look so good??? :wink:  Yeh the Hawgs are in contention.  I still think it's revealing that the Dallas line that Smith ran behind during the years 90-94 had zero Hall of Famers (Larry Allen wasn't a starter until 1995).  Maybe just a case of lightning striking, or a testiment to how good that coaching staff of Jimmy's was in the early 90s (and they were pretty good).

Mike b.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 pm 

I just received the following e-mail:

ONE OF OUR COMRADES IN GAMING HAS PASSED ON

It is with great sadness that I must report the passing of one of our friends and comrades in gaming, Michael Uhl.

Funeral arrangements for Michael Uhl. Wujek-Calcaterra Funeral Home 36900 Schoenherr Rd (@ 16 Mile) Sterling Heights 48312. Saturday, December 14th, visitation from 2-7pm with a memorial & prayer service at 7pm.

There will be a funeral mass and burial in the spring of next year in the Thumb area (Huron County)

Please pray for Michael and those of us who are left behind.

Thank you all for your kind words, thoughts and prayers. It means so much to our family.

Mary Kay Uhl

-Alan Meranda
Former Director of Role Playing Games
Metro Detroit Gamers

Metro Detroit Gamers | Providing Gaming to Metro Detroit Since 1972!

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:29 pm 

For the benefit of those who do not have Facebook:

Gail Carpenter Gygax

Up early researching and writing a most unusual letter.

Someday I will write what the life of being the widow of a creative genius involves.

I have had to come to terms with that as I must deal with issues most people can't even imagine.

With that comes the blessings of Great People. And for that I am extremely thankful.

So my cup is more than half full. I've learned to recognize and come to terms that there are those that simply do not wish me well (loved what I and the police department viewed as a death threat/wish) or wish to profit and/or have collected monies (thru false charity events/conventions or sold our IP w/o permission) on my late husband's back (you know who you are). And now there are those portending to be associated with our GMF. I think not exposing them would be an injustice to Gary and his fans. I have asked one particular convention site to remove any association with the GMF. Those that have given thru Paypal at gygaxmemorialfund.org are safe as well as those that gave thru WOTC or Frog God Games, for example, and I thank you. I know of a local convention that has been run since my late husbands death, no monies ever given to the GMF. I was told I was not welcomed there. Gary's fans have wondered why I was not there, as it was just down the road from our home, not knowing what was taking place behind the scenes. I know some of your heads are spinning. I know other charities have this same problem, which is why I will be posting official sites sanctioned to raise monies for Gary's monument. The monument is moving forward. Thanks to all of you for your help. And I'm thinking of a Kickstarter with some very special items. So watch out! It's going to be fun.

It isn't easy and for those of us that are extremely sensitive (in any walk of life), we need protection from those that wish to harm us or steal our inner peace.

So today I write a most unusual letter to a man who is "suggesting" he has the right to "give" access to my late husbands confidential interview with him to a third party. I can't help but ponder his desire for personal gain and glory over my late husbands rights. I hope he does the right thing.

Another day in the life. Just sayin. It's most unusual.
Like ·  · Share · 51 minutes ago ·
4 people like this.

Gail Carpenter Gygax
Yes. I have asked one particular convention to remove any affiliation with the GMF. I have been told by some attendees they thought they were giving money to the GMF thru the purchase of their ticket, the convention dedicated "all to the memory of E. Gary Gygax".

Please tell me she's not talking about Garycon???

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:28 pm 

Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:For the benefit of those who do not have Facebook:

Gail Carpenter Gygax

Someday I will write what the life of being the widow of a creative genius involves.

I have had to come to terms with that as I must deal with issues most people can't even imagine.

With that comes the blessings of Great People. And for that I am extremely thankful.

So my cup is more than half full. I've learned to recognize and come to terms that there are those that simply do not wish me well (loved what I and the police department viewed as a death threat/wish) or wish to profit and/or have collected monies (thru false charity events/conventions or sold our IP w/o permission) on my late husband's back (you know who you are). And now there are those portending to be associated with our GMF. I think not exposing them would be an injustice to Gary and his fans. I have asked one particular convention site to remove any association with the GMF. Those that have given thru Paypal at gygaxmemorialfund.org are safe as well as those that gave thru WOTC or Frog God Games, for example, and I thank you. I know of a local convention that has been run since my late husbands death, no monies ever given to the GMF. I was told I was not welcomed there. Gary's fans have wondered why I was not there, as it was just down the road from our home, not knowing what was taking place behind the scenes. I know some of your heads are spinning. I know other charities have this same problem, which is why I will be posting official sites sanctioned to raise monies for Gary's monument. The monument is moving forward. Thanks to all of you for your help. And I'm thinking of a Kickstarter with some very special items. So watch out! It's going to be fun.

It isn't easy and for those of us that are extremely sensitive (in any walk of life), we need protection from those that wish to harm us or steal our inner peace.

So today I write a most unusual letter to a man who is "suggesting" he has the right to "give" access to my late husbands confidential interview with him to a third party. I can't help but ponder his desire for personal gain and glory over my late husbands rights. I hope he does the right thing.

4 people like this.

Gail Carpenter Gygax
Yes. I have asked one particular convention to remove any affiliation with the GMF. I have been told by some attendees they thought they were giving money to the GMF thru the purchase of their ticket, the convention dedicated "all to the memory of E. Gary Gygax".

Mike B.

I can't imagine what else it would be.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:38 pm 

Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:For the benefit of those who do not have Facebook:

Gail Carpenter Gygax

4 people like this.

Gail Carpenter Gygax

Mike B.

Is she on serious drugs or something?  How is it she has the rights to anything "Gary" and his "real" kids do not?  I am thinking she is totally gone off the deep end!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:07 pm 

I think because of some sort of confusion over proceeds going to the monument from the convention, she is trying to put a stop to use of the name. I never thought any proceeds from the con were going to the monument  :? . At one of the auctions some of Gary's items were sold via the usual source and those proceeds were supposed to go towards the monument.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:49 pm 

I'm think it's all about control...controlling the name, it's essential to control all the peripheral things around it...games, conventions, etc.  The entire reason behind starting something called "Gygax Con" (and scheduling it the same weekend as Garycon) is a direct shot across the bow of Garycon, and an attempt to control and direct EGG's legacy.  Most of the perceived "conflicts" are made up and only exist so her lawyers can use them to attempt to shut down anything not controlled by them (Gygax magazine, Garycon, etc).  As stated before, to date Gygax Games has created or done nothing for gaming except shut down Lejendary Adventures and make Gary's Yggsburgh products unavailable to millions of interested gamers.  

She won't have to worry about NTRPG con...we won't be making any donations to the GMF. Frankly, WOTC should just pay for the entire thing and that's that.....Gary's vision makes the company millions of dollars a year, the least they could do is put up a memorial to the man.

Mike B.

NTRPGCON

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 pm 

She certainly doesn't seem to be making freiends..

Of course the GMF site hasn't been updated in a year? and has no products available for over a year? Doesn't look look a lot has been happening for at least a year.. and whats happening with Pauls Collector Trove auctioins? it this rate all life will have perished on Earth by the time he's finished with the Gygax stuff?

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:45 am 

Oh, never mind, she makes it very clear here:

Gail Carpenter Gygax
55 minutes ago
I have written to Luke Gygax and GaryCon requesting GaryCon remove the section "The Gary Gygax Statue". I find this most offensive as GaryCon has not contributed one single penny to the monument.

The GMF wants no affiliation or appearance of affiliation with this group.
Like ·  · Share
2 people like this.

Gail Carpenter Gygax The GMF wants no affiliation it believes has taken money of the pretense of a donation for the monument. Due to my research and from speaking with attendees, I am asking them to remove this link.
48 minutes ago · Like

Gail Carpenter Gygax Mark, have them explain why not a single penny has been given to Gary's statue. Also how they took a non-profit corp the first two years and made it a for profit. I believe this was done with the attendees money. One attendee thought the con was still a non profit. Surprise.

Gail Carpenter Gygax Luke denied ever receiving the check. Furthermore Elise/bill Gygax bid $750.00 on a shirt I donated to the GMF. When the room cleared they refused to pay. Luke then offered me $400.
23 minutes ago · Like

Gail Carpenter Gygax Quite honestly, Mark, you never thought a portion or some kind of money was going to the statue? Really?
21 minutes ago · Like

Gail Carpenter Gygax Apparently Mark you did not read their FAQ's over the past five years. Also how do you explain the death threat to me by one of their attendees, Luke's military buddy. It's hard to believe they could treat their fathers memory in such a way. Really not a single penny from the con. WOW. That's fantastical. Contract or none - they have not given a penny. None of them.

Gail Carpenter Gygax Mark, I know it's hard to believe. All to the benefit of Luke's coffers. Not a penny to his fathers statue. GaryCon is not in good standing with the GMF. I want the link removed. That's all I ask. Quite simple. Remove the link.

The link is just a direct link to the Gygax Memorial Fund site.....?

Gail may be delusional but I think she just has a skewed impression about what conventions are about (not being a gamer or knowing anything about gaming probably has to do with that).  Later in the FB thread she presumes that a convention named "Garycon" must have been formed to support Gary's memorial and is a non-profit and that all money should go to the GMF, and is angry that it doesn't do those things.. Sort of like, since I run the "North Texas RPG Con" all money we make should go to North Texas players of RPGs and we should be a non-profit; or "Owlcon" in Houston all the money made should go to support owls, etc, you get the idea.  She has no clue.

So, it's lining up to be Gary's kids, true gamers, old schoolers and fans on one side, and Gail and the big corporations like WOTC on the other side.  I know what side I'll be on... :roll:

For my part, I'd love to know exactly how much the GMF needs to sculpt and place the statue, as well as pay for maintenence.  And how much they have already raised, and where that money is going.  I don't recognize any of the names on the board as being anyone associated with the gamer community...instead it is Gail, her sister, and her brother in law.  Please think about this and the GMF's treatment of gamers (cancelling LA and all of Gary's TLG publications, trying to cancel Garycon, trying to stop publication of Gygax magazine, attempting to control who can and cannot contribute to the GMF) and their contributions to the gaming public (nothing in five years since the company formed) before you contribute to the GMF.

Mike B.

I've included more of Gail's ranting as it's published for the benefit of those who don't have facebook, and the suspicion this will be taken down at some point....

NTRPGCON

Last edited by Badmike on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:26 am 

Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Oh, never mind, she makes it very clear here:

Gail Carpenter Gygax
55 minutes ago
I have written to Luke Gygax and GaryCon requesting GaryCon remove the section "The Gary Gygax Statue". I find this most offensive as GaryCon has not contributed one single penny to the monument.

The GMF wants no affiliation or appearance of affiliation with this group.
Like ·  · Share
2 people like this.

Gail Carpenter Gygax The GMF wants no affiliation it believes has taken money of the pretense of a donation for the monument. Due to my research and from speaking with attendees, I am asking them to remove this link.
48 minutes ago · Like

Gail Carpenter Gygax Mark, have them explain why not a single penny has been given to Gary's statue. Also how they took a non-profit corp the first two years and made it a for profit. I believe this was done with the attendees money. One attendee thought the con was still a non profit. Surprise.

Gail Carpenter Gygax Luke denied ever receiving the check. Furthermore Elise/bill Gygax bid $750.00 on a shirt I donated to the GMF. When the room cleared they refused to pay. Luke then offered me $400.
23 minutes ago · Like

Gail Carpenter Gygax Quite honestly, Mark, you never thought a portion or some kind of money was going to the statue? Really?
21 minutes ago · Like

Gail Carpenter Gygax Apparently Mark you did not read their FAQ's over the past five years. Also how do you explain the death threat to me by one of their attendees, Luke's military buddy. It's hard to believe they could treat their fathers memory in such a way. Really not a single penny from the con. WOW. That's fantastical. Contract or none - they have not given a penny. None of them.

The link is just a direct link to the Gygax Memorial Fund site.....?

Gail may be delusional but I think she just has a skewed impression about what conventions are about (not being a gamer or knowing anything about gaming probably has to do with that).  Later in the FB thread she presumes that a convention named "Garycon" must have been formed to support Gary's memorial and is a non-profit and that all money should go to the GMF, and is angry that it doesn't do those things.. Sort of like, since I run the "North Texas RPG Con" all money we make should go to North Texas players of RPGs and we should be a non-profit; or "Owlcon" in Houston all the money made should go to support owls, etc, you get the idea.  She has no clue.

So, it's lining up to be Gary's kids, true gamers, old schoolers and fans on one side, and Gail and the big corporations like WOTC on the other side.  I know what side I'll be on... :roll:

For my part, I'd love to know exactly how much the GMF needs to sculpt and place the statue, as well as pay for maintenence.  And how much they have already raised, and where that money is going.  I don't recognize any of the names on the board as being anyone associated with the gamer community...instead it is Gail, her sister, and her brother in law.  Please think about this and the GMF's treatment of gamers (cancelling LA and all of Gary's TLG publications, trying to cancel Garycon, trying to stop publication of Gygax magazine, attempting to control who can and cannot contribute to the GMF) and their contributions to the gaming public (nothing in five years since the company formed) before you contribute to the GMF.

Mike B.

I've included more of Gail's ranting as it's published for the benefit of those who don't have facebook, and the suspicion this will be taken down at some point....

Good to make a record. My feeling is that her comments are going to disappear or be altered down the road. To me Gary Gygax's memorial is his work. He is honored whenever some DM scrawls away at a scenario or runs a game or whenever and whereever players are slinging dice and having fun. What has she done except take away from his work, discourage designers and DM's and players, stamp on conventions and go after his children when they try to continue what their father started.

"You get more with a kind word and an excruciator than with just a kind word."

PreviousNext