Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:26 am 

Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:

TSR was still producing quality material and went bankrupt though bad management....but the product was always true, the employees were gamers and creatives, and they did turn it around when bought out by a proper ownership group. Not only is the product the last few years sub-standard and mostly written by nobodies and non-gamers, they have no clue who  their audience is or what to do with their product. Well, except for getting away from their core concepts and going all in on online and VTT gaming, complete with microtransactions and everything we love about online video games...because the company is being run by Microsoft and Amazon employees who have no vision beyond "this product is under monetized".

Mike B.

Yeah no argument there as a (younger) person 2nd ed was my entry into the hobby and I certainly loved most of the creative things in the mid-90s as I got fully into playing. From Planescape campaign setting through to Baldur's Gate - and that all happened around the time TSR went under.

So I would withdraw my statement. Though with the comment that its pretty easy to be creatively free while spending your way into oblivion.

I suspect that the next market crash will see Wizards hewn from Hasbro however - so maybe there will be some hope for change.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:29 pm 

I have been using a spell point system with my custom rules and it has worked out a lot better than the standard memorization system. How many times has a MU said "Gee, I wish I had memorized knock instead of (x)"? Yes, it makes mages more powerful, but I have been able to limit that by making spells harder to find when necessary (mages in my campaign are rare to begin with).
Another little thing I added in: rings of spell storing, instead of having specific spells they can store, can store (X) spell points' worth up to a certain level of spell. Example: The party found one, and it can store 9 spell points, with a max spell level of 3. So, 3 3rd level spells, 2x1/2x2/1x3, etc.
Another thing I have thought about implementing is equipment wear, especially weapons and armor. It is a bit ludicrous for a character to use a normal longsword 1,000 times and not have it damaged or destroyed. My thought was to assign wear points; I'm not sure what the conditions would be to accumulate wear; perhaps 1 point per hit makes sense. A smith could repair the weapon; based on the smith's level he could repair X amount of wear. Magic items are exempt.
Anyone else have tweaks they use in their campaigns?

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:09 am 

I've been tinkering with the idea of letting the wizards in my next 3e campaign have some  spells they can always cast regardless of spell slots, ala Pathfinder.  It's super boring for a low level mage after his daily slots are gone and all he can do is watch.  And for some of my players it's outright dangerous.  Inevitably at some point I will hear:  "Well my two spells are gone, may as well draw my dagger and attack the ogre.  Beats  standing here doing nothing."

The owls are not what they seem...

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:15 pm 

Deadlord wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I have been using a spell point system with my custom rules and it has worked out a lot better than the standard memorization system. How many times has a MU said "Gee, I wish I had memorized knock instead of (x)"? Yes, it makes mages more powerful, but I have been able to limit that by making spells harder to find when necessary (mages in my campaign are rare to begin with).
Another little thing I added in: rings of spell storing, instead of having specific spells they can store, can store (X) spell points' worth up to a certain level of spell. Example: The party found one, and it can store 9 spell points, with a max spell level of 3. So, 3 3rd level spells, 2x1/2x2/1x3, etc.
Another thing I have thought about implementing is equipment wear, especially weapons and armor. It is a bit ludicrous for a character to use a normal longsword 1,000 times and not have it damaged or destroyed. My thought was to assign wear points; I'm not sure what the conditions would be to accumulate wear; perhaps 1 point per hit makes sense. A smith could repair the weapon; based on the smith's level he could repair X amount of wear. Magic items are exempt.
Anyone else have tweaks they use in their campaigns?

All of the things you are mentioning here are handled well in Rolemaster.

Shrink is not a condition

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:25 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:All of the things you are mentioning here are handled well in Rolemaster.

Spell Law was a great supplement back in the day. In the mid 80s my Aunt (our DM) used spell law to create and allow us to play elemental wizards. I loved it

Previous