Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Author

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:25 pm 

Looking forward to seeing it!  I really like the first one.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:18 am 

Everyone trashes it, but I also loved the 1984 Dune movie at the time. I had read the books before that and thought it was a decent effort. Of course the new Dune movies lift the bar. Saw the first and can't wait to see Dune 2.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm 

HermitFromPluto wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Everyone trashes it, but I also loved the 1984 Dune movie at the time. I had read the books before that and thought it was a decent effort. Of course the new Dune movies lift the bar. Saw the first and can't wait to see Dune 2.

I can say the same thing about the movie, John Carter of Mars, however it helps a lot if you see the movie first and then read the book.  I've heard from many that reading the book first makes the movie terrible for most people.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:26 pm 

To the English members here: Is there an ancestry site that I can use to look up some relatives that doesn't cost anything?

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:06 pm 

Familysearch.org.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:03 pm 

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

Showed up in the Class 4-5 auctions as Jade Hare. I don't remember seeing this printing before.............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:23 am 

Ouch...

ICv2 Reports Disappointing Year For Hobby Games Channel: TTRPGs Down, D&D Declines 30% | EN World Tabletop RPG News & Reviews

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:36 am 

ICv2 reports a 30% hobby store sales decline for Dungeons & Dragons specifically, citing the impending new edition and lackluster movie performance

I mean.... Its profitability was a problem with how much it cost more than anything. Movie was good, made 200mln, will do well in streaming/elsewhere. Just expecting 300-500m from a D&D film is too much.

Hasbro are having a really rough time here. MTG has horrible YoY comps vs the LoTR set//last year huge success vs pretty bad launches this year (though Bloomburrow looks great). If D&D doesnt nail its next edition then I expect there'll be some massive level of shakeup - because these are the two profit drivers for the company. Also, having Larian bail on even doing an expansion pack for BG3...... clearly things are pretty fkd up there

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:47 am 

Why is there such a long time in between releases of the new three core books?  

The One DnD Player’s Handbook releases on September 17, 2024, with the Dungeon Master’s Guide following on November 12. The One DnD Monster Manual won’t release until February 18, 2025.

Release them as a boxed set for the holidays and make a honkin killing...

I think people are holding off purchasing stuff until they see what the latest rev is.  Also, FLGS will have problems competing in an all digital world...which seems to be the direction everything is heading.  I have pretty much everything digitally, however 99% of the time, I only read hard copies of stuff.  I know, I know... dinosaurs eventually died out too...

Edit:  it has to be extremely difficult walking the fine line of trying to appease the grognards during the game's 50th anniversary while trying to publish a new edition the very same year.  I think it would have been wise to cash in on the rich history this year, while holding off until next year for '6E'.

-SKA

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:04 pm 

I am a little salty, but read this with hint of humor - if you read it. :)

I got excited for the 50th way too early, like three years ago. I would have ordered a cake from my local grocery store if they provided some type of cake decoration and encouraged folks to celebrate on a specific day.

I just think wizards is poorly run. There is no excuse for not having a celebratory video announcing all the items showing the cover art. All of the dates should have been in 2024. And something bombastic should have happened in January. Chris Pine could have had a single appearance included in his contract to do it? Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis? Anyone who wrote a module in the 70s or 80s? Critical Role folks?

The video they released in February addressed the January/February discussion and then put everyone to sleep with the announcements - by two guys from the HR department. I might be wrong on that detail. Ya-hoo, happy b-day DnD, we fired our publisher, laid off a lot of people and didnt plan the 50th anniversary any better than Magic 30th, glad we get to make some money off you guys for this stuff, have a day.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:25 am 

I am deeply disappointed as well: i didn't expect the 'year of the collectors' geekness' but nothing at all is simply embarassing... i from my side, i took a small initiative which is not aiming to reward D&D but the anniversary of the foundation of RPGs, our hobby:

Copy link

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:11 pm 

If they focused on making a particular edition better instead of coming out with new editions, they'd probably fare better.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:40 pm 

It appears they are very interested in moving forward with online and VTT gaming and have no interest in promoting regular tabletop experience when it comes to D&D. For the first time in history there is no one with any gaming experience in charge of Dungeons & Dragons. All the top execs are microsoft and Amazon employees and really have no knowledge of the product nor what makes it different from the average video game experience. They are probably the worst stewards of the game in the 50 year history of the game and the "true" game will continue on through the OSR and smaller independent creators.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:50 pm 

Badmike wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:They are probably the worst stewards of the game in the 50 year history of the game and the "true" game will continue on through the OSR and smaller independent creators.

Mike B.

Not to be petty - but I would argue that TSR are both the best (clearly/obviously - early) and the worst (at the end) stewards of the game. In terms of the execs/process that ended up with them in bankruptcy.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:32 pm 

shadeun wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
Not to be petty - but I would argue that TSR are both the best (clearly/obviously - early) and the worst (at the end) stewards of the game. In terms of the execs/process that ended up with them in bankruptcy.

TSR was still producing quality material and went bankrupt though bad management....but the product was always true, the employees were gamers and creatives, and they did turn it around when bought out by a proper ownership group. Not only is the product the last few years sub-standard and mostly written by nobodies and non-gamers, they have no clue who  their audience is or what to do with their product. Well, except for getting away from their core concepts and going all in on online and VTT gaming, complete with microtransactions and everything we love about online video games...because the company is being run by Microsoft and Amazon employees who have no vision beyond "this product is under monetized".

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:51 pm 

First time i run into the "instructional book" definition:

** eBay auction listing blocked.  Please enable cookies in your browser for this site and for eBay! **

...and thinking at it, it is not a wrong wording... it is simply never used...

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:42 am 

It's a new seller and they probably don't normally sell these items.  Reading the description, it was most likely written by eBay's AI description generator.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:40 pm 

Thought of this group when I saw this today :D

Attachment:
FB_IMG_1712688421260.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Well, we land in barren fields
On the Arizona plains

Publisher of AFS Magazine, 'Pulp literature meets old school gaming'  Halls of Tizun Thane

PreviousNext