Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 134 of 163123 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 161162163
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:14 am 

sauromatian wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Granted, but haven't you heard of all these studies about UAPs, Unidentified Arial Phenomena? The Air Force & NASA have been studying them. UAPs are like UFOs, but much more serious. Now the Red Chinese claim to be talking with their home planet from the Sky Eye radio telescope in Guizhou. I'll bet they're saying mean things about us.

LOL.  Luckily I wasn't drinking something while I read it.   :P

-SKA

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:17 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Luckily I wasn't drinking something while I read it.

It would have made more sense if you had been drinking.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:19 am 

VR Tabletop role playing

I have spent about half of my adult working life in ‘non-family’ duty stations missing my kids growing up. Online games and roleplaying have helped me stay connected with my family. For a few years I played D&D with a group here on the Acaeum, using simple screen sharing tools. That was so much fun, and I have wonderful memories of those games.

With my children, they were not as enthusiastic to play pen and paper games online, that was reserved for holidays at home (and they all played – I helped create a new generation of tabletop gamers – mostly D&D). With my boys, I think we started with Wizards 101 when they were young, later MMOs like Elder Scrolls Online and most recently Green Hell. Couldn’t keep my children’s attention for 2 minutes on a phone call, but interacted with them and chatted for hours through online games on opposite sides of the world.

This weekend for the first time I played an online VR D&D type game with my eldest son (who is now 23) called Demeo. It was a lot of fun. Sitting around a gaming table in VR and moving miniatures around the board. It is rather simple compared to pen and paper roleplaying with a DM. I suppose a bit more like “Dungeon!” with an AI playing the DM, but wow it opened my eyes to the potential of VR as a gaming platform. I might have to buy VR headsets for my other two boys!

Just thought I would post this as curious as to the experience of others here with VR and pen and paper / tabletop RPGs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:22 am 

HermitFromPluto wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:VR Tabletop role playing

I might have to buy VR headsets for my other two boys!

Just thought I would post this as curious as to the experience of others here with VR and pen and paper / tabletop RPGs.

Would you recommend Demeo itself?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:44 am 

It is the first VR tabletop multi-played game I have tried, so nothing to compare it to, but yes, I would recommend it. The first game (3 levels) we played took us 2.5 hours and I didn’t notice the time pass. We were completely engaged in the game. We played with two, but you can have up to four players.

I have played quite a few other VR titles. From what I have seen, 90% of VR titles seem to have problems: lagging, exaggerated movement that induces nausea, freezing. The best titles (maybe 10%) have none of these problems and run seamlessly. Demeo is definitely in this top 10% in that gives a very clear picture and runs flawlessly.

I think the only negative was that I started getting a tired neck from looking down at the board with the headset. I read you can tilt the board so I will look into that (I have the earlier version of the HTC Vive, my son has the HP reverb G2).

In terms of the content, I think they have five or six different adventures. There is great re-playability as each time you play, you would get a different experience as you can use different characters / skills etc. Must have great potential though. The feedback thread on steam is full of people suggesting different ideas for scenarios and ways the game can be improved. I get the impression Demeo is a new benchmark in a rapidly developing field.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:47 pm 

Is it possible to keep reality away from our insular little world of fantasy? Apparently not:
Wizards of the Coast workers object to Hasbro’s abortion rights response - Polygon

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:21 pm 

Curious that Nicole Carpenter’s article doesn’t use the gender pronouns of those being discussed. Is that because Polygon have a policy of ignoring gender preferences, or is it Nicole’s choice to downplay people’s gender choices? Pot, meet Kettle.

On the flip side, maybe a company that has made so much money out of encouraging people to imagine killing, should be celebrated for not ‘actually’ encouraging killing in the real world. Maybe celebrating life rather than wishing for the right to kill would be healthier? Who knows what goes on in people’s heads, eh?

Who cares? Smoke and mirrors. It’s a great distraction. Keeps all the brain dead engages. Keeps all the peasants divided. Creates the banner that a party needs to rally behind if the next election. And still they do nothing to stop themselves slipping into poverty. I wonder when they will realise that righteousness and vitriol cannot put food in their stomachs?

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:11 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I wonder when they will realise that righteousness and vitriol cannot put food in their stomachs?

Well, sure it can. Haven't you ever seen Soylent Green, a story set in 2022? The rioters are hungry, so the police scoop them into trucks which take them to enjoy a nice meal.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:29 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Is it possible to keep reality away from our insular little world of fantasy? Apparently not:
Wizards of the Coast workers object to Hasbro’s abortion rights response - Polygon

These people should be more worried about putting out a product that will sell when recession hits (some are saying it's already here).  This is noise that I can live without especially when it comes to my entertainment dollars.  

-SKA

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:48 pm 

...very exciting...might have a new Prime Minister tonight or tomorrow  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Last edited by red_bus on Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:30 pm 

I've been following too. Exciting times!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:34 pm 

It’s funny. Whatever party I vote for, and whichever candidates they field, the only choice seems to be to vote for one rich sociopath or another. Every single one of them. Is following your rich sociopath of choice, and labelling them red and blue, the most intelligent thing human beings can come up with? The masses have been doing it for centuries. Seems like brain dead behaviour to me.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Last edited by mbassoc2003 on Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:48 pm 

On another note, because this cropped up only a few weeks ago, another desperate simp went shooting in the US.
They don’t have mass shootings in countries without public gun ownership, and still people say it has nothing to do with gun ownership.

Last time the kids mum said the kid had his reasons. This time the dad says he has no regrets buying his kid guns. Maybe if you can’t agree on gun control, you could agree to pass a law criminalising raising a mass murderer. Then no-one need worry, and if some kid does go postal, you round up his parents and jail them for 20. The kid may well hate his parents and not give a shit anyways, but the parents might take their child rearing more seriously, and may respond to red flags differently. Like, if your kid comes home with a ladies hair-do and tats on his face, you don’t suggest to your wife that a father-son gun range bonding session might help.

The US averages one mass shooting every three to four weeks over the past two years. Any guesses where the next one will be? What are the odds it’ll happen in the next four weeks?

Still, being an outsider looking in, the link between gun ownership and mass killings is clear.

That all said, I did go to a local gun show in Orlando, once (I was there because an ex liked mice.) It was great. And if I lived in a country where people were allowed to shoot other people up in public, I’d want to carry too. So I can understand the fear people have about living in a society without guns.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:43 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
The US averages one mass shooting every three to four weeks over the past two years. Any guesses where the next one will be? What are the odds it’ll happen in the next four weeks?

Still, being an outsider looking in, the link between gun ownership and mass killings is clear.

This debate degraded into tribalism without scale decades ago.

I usually hear the 40,000 deaths by gun violence each year followed by a mic drop. Any response is met with hubris.

Of the 40,000 deaths, almost 30,000 are suicide. Of the remaining 10,000, one-thousand are cops firing in the line of duty, we have some Dick Cheney moments, practice range accidents etc... but the majority of the remaining 10,000 is crime related to drugs. The USA has about $64 billion of illegally imported drugs each year.

That's a lot. Like, "that's what Russia spends on its military annually" a lot.

And yes, we have some horrid mass shootings. Horrid. And citing the number, relative to total deaths or population would be the queue for hubris. Ill just say we have a small number of the largest possible tragedies. Taking the number of horror, and placing it next to "1" or "0" in the EU makes it seem bigger, but it isnt.

Keep in mind: The rate of a robbery while you are at home, in the US, is low.

The UK gov publishes stats in English, so they are easiest cite.

Almost 65% of burglaries in the UK happen with someone at home.  Its about 25% in the USA.

Nirvana is not for this world. Everything has a cost, including the benefits of gun ownership. There are a lot more benefits and costs but I cant type anymore knowing I never have, or ever will, convince anyone of anything.

The second amendment is a tragic comedy for many.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:22 pm 

I get the arguments for personal self defence. I won’t dispute them, particularly in a country where criminals carry guns. I also have no truck with cops blowing holes in people who decide they want a Police chase, or thing its a good idea to fight or threaten them. If they don’t understand slow steady clear nothing in a world where cops who make mistakes dies, then if they die, they deserve it. It’s called natural selection.

What I don’t understand is why no-one gives a damn about regular monthly mass shootings. Every month without fail. Is it because it makes for good TV ratings and keeps society fractured? There are so many solutions but choosing between holding parents responsible for their children, or sellers for their choices to make a sale, of public servants for their decisions to grant a license, instead of holding enablers responsible citizens seem to prefer continued the dead children option.

In the most recent case, the whole family knew of red flag incidents and concealed them. Every one of them. Why not round the whole extended family up and hold them in prison for 18 month while you get to the bottom of why they wanted their family member active? Take any young kids into the care system and round up the whole family and charge them for failure to alter authorities as to his crimes.

If you went after the entire family in a mass shooting, there would be less mass shootings because families could be relied upon to either regulate who among them were capable of being responsible gun owners, or end up in jail.

The down side of course, if there were less mass shootings, is there would be lower gun sales, and less TV time dedicated to it, so there are two groups who are heavily incentivised to maintain the status quo.

In a society where you have a choice (currently) to either own a gun or not own a gun, one has to wonder why anyone should choose not to protect their family even if they are just going shopping. A choice to relinquish your responsibility to protect your family can have fatal consequences as many seem to discover. It’s almost like they never watched the news before and didn’t realise these sorts of things could happen.

Hey ho. I’m sure there will be another mass killing next month. Is it really a price worth paying?

Almost 65% of burglaries in the UK happen with someone at home.  Its about 25% in the USA.

This is very real for me. Many years ago I left a window open for a cat one night and in the morning discovered my laptop and a few other things had been stolen. The burglar had been in the house during the night with me asleep upstairs. Now, this was long ago before people carried knives regularly in the streets. But it left me absolutely paranoid about making sure my doors and windows are locked at night before I can relax enough to sleep.

Not that I’d want to blow the guy away. But I get where you’re coming from. Easier to protect yourself from a guy with a knife if you’ve got a Glock under on your nightstand.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:19 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:What I don’t understand is why no-one gives a damn about regular monthly mass shootings.

First, great thread and thanks for the good discussion. :)

I dont imagine my answer will help, but I think its the novelty aspect of media. If I run up and tell you there was a factory explosion and huge fire, you might say "OMG!" then I tell you it was in SE Asia, and you might deflate.

Guns are the leading cause of death for children in the USA. OMG!

Not in kids 9 and under. Thats cancer, car crashes, congenital birth defects are third.

We lump the rest in a group from 10-19. Most of those all are crime related homicide, followed by suicide.

So, if my 11 year old isnt a drug dealer, they are safe? Yes.

16 year-olds are kids. Sometimes sexually active, weed smoking, totally normal suburbanite kids with good grades, but thats not what you thought was meant by "kids" when I said "leading cause of death."

You could say we have become desensitized to hyperbolic headlines, but it really is just an appropriate context.

As I type, its impossible to explain. I have a friend at work from the UK. Hes been here more than 20 years. He tells me about fights, he had two break-ins, just rough stuff, and he still has family that wont visit the US because they think its too dangerous. His own experience tells him its much more tame here, like petting zoo tame, but he still isnt sure. Idk.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:40 pm 

You can blame mass shootings squarely on the media. Sensationalizing these things makes it attractive to the ME generation and people who have come unhinged. Blaming the ease of obtaining guns is ludicrous, since there are many countries where it is just as easy or easier, and they don't have the same incidents.

I am in the middle of writing up a petition for NH to have all details of a criminal case kept from the public until AFTER a trial. People are now tried in the court of public opinion, and the media puts their spin on it, uncaring of the lack of justice. There is zero reason to publish a police log of ARRESTS, they are NOT convictions. But if someone is arrested for domestic violence, they are immediately guilty in the public eye and that stays. You know what isn't published? A list of trial results.
Also, the penalties for crimes in the US are laughable.

At the end of the day, the media has done an incredible amount of damage to the country in the name of selling clicks.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:44 pm 

Yeah, I realise the press just make stuff up to get airtime. In the UK we had a headline about a schoolgirl assaulted outside her school in broad daylight while waiting at a bus-stop to go home. Deliberate intent to mislead the public and generate fear. The schoolgirl was 16 and the assault was with a fellow 18yo girl who got into a scrap with her over something said on social media. But if they’d run the story, “mouthy teenager gets put in her place by teenage girl” no-one gives a shit.

At the end of the day if a parent is unwilling to protect their child at school, and the parent is unwilling to ensure their child goes to a school where they will protect your child, the parent has to bear the responsibility for not being their to protect their child. If instead of phoning the police for 45 minutes the children had been phoning their parents asking, “Why won’t you come and save me, Daddy?” Maybe there would have been more backbones and testicles present.

And maybe if the locals petition to sack every single police officer and hold votes of no coNfidence in their elected officials for not sacking police officers and school staff, then maybe teachers and police will begin to take their jobs more seriously.

One has to ask how a teacher intends to protect her pupils, and if the answer is, “I don’t. That’s someone else’s problem.” Sack them. One also has to ask if an armed perp walking into the local donut shop, would it have been dealt with differently?

Smoke and mirrors aside, if the US legislature know with guaranteed certainty that there will be a mass shooting in the next four weeks, and that that mass shooting is currently being planned, weapons are being gathered, and people are talking about it, why are they just sitting around and waiting for it to happen?

Cos it’s a vote winner?
Cos it keeps otherwise intelligent people from questioning their legislature?
Cos it distracts from other less convenient truths?
Cos it makes money for everyone involved? Florists, funeral homes, gun sales, TV networks, pharmaceutical sales, medical bills, food sales. Death increases spending in so many areas. Everyone makes out like a bandit.

If they didn’t want mass shootings they wouldn’t have them.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 134 of 163123 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 161162163