Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 122 of 163123 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 161162163
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:07 pm 

rhynne wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Hey Stratochamp,

How does it compare with Of Dice and Men?
I remembered enjoying that book a lot.

Ronald

I had a chance to read an earlier draft of Game Wizards. It covers some of the same ground as Of Dice and Men, but in a very different way.

Of Dice and Men is essentially a very long magazine article, which in a very entertaining way covers much of the history of D&D.

Game Wizards is also very entertaining, but it is a work of history. It is extensively and thoroughly researched, and delves into the numbers, with details of contracts and court cases. Rather than just taking the statements people made then and years later as truth, it seeks out contemporary evidence. And it focuses most closely on TSR itself, from its earliest days until Gary was ousted (as Jon originally recounted in Ambush at Sheridan Springs).

Jon brings a lot of new information to light, and puts it all in context to tell the best story we can now tell about the rise and fall of TSR. It's a great read, and a work of impeccable scholarship.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:59 pm 

What Bill and Mark are not saying is that they were both very helpful to me in getting this thing together.

I imagine that the people who are usually happy about my stuff will be happy about GW, and that the people who are usually mad about my stuff will be mad at GW.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:05 am 

I will say I'm very happy with my books (plural).  I have always looked forward to Jon's books and have gotten every one of them on release date or earlier.  This one does not disappoint.  I consider all his works a "must have" for collectors for the primary reason of documentary sources.  Jon writes in a style (increasingly) that's engaging to the audience but still provides the documentation even if in a strange format wherein they are all at the end of the book.  End-end notes perhaps?  Not necessarily set up as footnotes like a scholarly journal/book, nor are there end notes as in the numbering source material corresponding to the end notes that would normally tag along at the end of the chapter.  He has chosen to compile all those at the end of the book (which upon reading them all is a vast undertaking as well as having resources available to cite that quite frankly nobody but Jon would be able to get).  Like all his works I offer my highest praise possible and thanks to those who opened up their collections to allow him to cite sources and do this.  I will state that I think this along with PatW and the Elusive Shift are all books everyone should get and read and ponder the conclusions of.  It's a fascinating ride and I enjoy the literature as well as the documentation.  Jon, you have leveled up for sure!  Amazing stuff and I will keep reading.  Thanks for all your hard work bringing this material to light.  Also, given your thanks section in the end, I should be giving thanks to a few others on the Acaeum too!  I'll try to thank you all personally at Gamehole next week!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:49 am 

Glad you liked it Cory, and that it measures up.

I don't really get to choose the citation format for these books - the "running endnotes" style is supposed to cause the least disruption for readers who just want to be in the narrative without being distracted by a bunch of numbered endnote tags in the body text on every page (like, do I have to skip to the back of the book and read that now, or what?). As a style, it's kind of a hassle to do, though. If it were up to me, I'd just use footnotes - and like in PatW, sometimes most of the page would be a footnote. I guess people find that really old fashioned. I will say that doing running endnotes did lead me to only very rarely put commentary in the endnotes, they are mostly just source citations.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:54 pm 

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Funny thing: first time i see it called "sharkadillo"....  :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:59 am 

aia wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
** expired/removed eBay auction **

Funny thing: first time i see it called "sharkadillo"....  :D

:lol: probably fetch more for it if it’s names correctly

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:23 pm 

Tabletop RPG Workers Say Their Jobs Are No Fantasy | WIRED
"Although many fans dream of contributing to their favorite franchise, the reality of the industry can be harsh, with low pay, endemic overwork, and an enormous reliance on freelance labor. And while there have been efforts to be more inclusive, some say the industry is still tough for women, LGBTQ folks, and people of color to thrive in.

"Last week, Paizo employees announced they had formed a union with the Communication Workers of America—the first of its kind for the TTRPG industry."

Discuss, but no politics, okay? Someone please also explain to me how 'TTRPG' is supposed to be pronounced. Would a critical failure in a TTRPG be something like a leaking implant?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:03 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:...And while there have been efforts to be more inclusive, some say the industry is still tough for women, LGBTQ folks, and people of color to thrive in.

The whole inclusive drive has gone way overboard to the point of hypocrisy.  If you are good at something and possess the will to work harder than other people you will thrive.  The fact that someone should be given something because they associate with a particular group is nonsense.  If you have a Tolkienesque imagination and can visualize fantasy with the written word, You can walk into my office with seafoam hair, a nose ring that could fit on a bull and associate with unicorns all day long.  i'll hire you.  Where is the inclusiveness in the NBA and NFL? Right... there isn't one.  Why? It's all based on ability.  

At the end of the day, it all boils down to profits.  You can't create products that no one wants to buy and stay in business very long.  Reading the WIRED story. Paizo is based in one of the most progressive areas on the planet and still can't make people happy.  One individual worked there 9 years and had a terrible salary.  Trying to reconcile who is at bigger fault here.  Paizo paying $hit or workers not flipping them the bird and moving on.  

-SKA

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:17 am 

sauromatian wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Tabletop RPG Workers Say Their Jobs Are No Fantasy | WIRED
"Although many fans dream of contributing to their favorite franchise, the reality of the industry can be harsh, with low pay, endemic overwork, and an enormous reliance on freelance labor.

This rings true to me based on people I know working in the tabletop games industry. Most people do it part-time in addition to their main job. I can't speak to the comparative wages in the article because jobs are different in different regions and countries, but prima facie they seem pretty low. Moreover, I am not sure how much money is in gaming - once you have the core game/rules and a few scenarios or expansions, there is a diminishing incentive to buy other stuff (not for collectors though :lol: ). Still, good that people are getting unionised.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:55 am 

Oh, my heart bleeds for them. All these poor whiny people who feel so bad that they don’t get paid enough or aren’t understood by their employers. Bottom line is talent is appreciated and rewarded, and so it hard work. The rest of the mediocre alsorans in every walk of life will always whine and whinge because they find the struggle to success too damn hard for their fragile little souls.

This isn’t an RPG thing. This is every single job everywhere in the world. Sadly the woe-is-me brigade are also in every single job everywhere in the world. The one thing they all have in common is their absolute ignorance as to the source of their lack of success - Their own work ethic, diligence, integrity, and intelligent application of talent.

There will always be hundreds of wannabe ‘victims’ who fail to step up to the mark for every success, and there will always be copywriters who want to decry the woes of these ignored back room staff who haven’t found success in life. That is the nature of the modern day victimhood mentality and their champions.

It is refreshing to know that our major publishing houses are full of the same sorts of people, and that management of these companies is no easy task when you have such a pool of wet and weak willed individuals to have to try to extract your products from. At least at management level they understand the realities or work and economics, even if a chunk of their staff do not. I come away from the article with a greater appreciation of the dedication our publishing house have to bringing products to market, and the work individual successes in the small press community put in to making themselves stand out and shine among such detritus.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:55 am 

The beginning of the end.  Sad.  Was wondering when they would finally put paper and pencil RPGs on their to-do list.  The war on digital ones is well under way.  Table tops have been more or less flying under the radar, thankfully.  But no more I guess.  They've destroyed or are in the process of destroying everything else.  Comics, video games, books, sports, movies.  It was only a matter of time.

Take a respected institution.
Kill it.
Gut it.
Wear its carcass as a skin suit and demand respect.

The equality and fair pay horse****t is only a trojan horse.

The owls are not what they seem...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:01 pm 

You can only blame the parents for raising such weak ass children. They have bread a generation of spineless men/boyz or whatever you call what purports to be the male of the species, and blind fascist whatever the others are called these days, all of whole seem to idolise their own narcissism and victim identities.

If we go to war, you can say goodbye to an entire flaccid generation. Is this how empires fall? Did the Roman Empire fall because their men started wearing makeup at court and swooning when voices were raised? It’s gonna be a fun decade full of popcorn and nachos watching the western world unravel.

There is a certain humour in the incredulity people pretend to have when they say they can’t believe this is happening and they didn’t see it coming. Like they have lived their entire lives with their heads up eachother’s arseholes. Like they’ve never watch or read the news ever in their life before.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:37 pm 

Alec Baldwin - I take it the guy had no firearms training? Being an anti-gun advocate I’m guessing he didn’t think he’d ever need it. So why was he picking up a loaded gun from a table, and why do you need live rounds on a film set in the first place?

I get that if you fire blanks (as opposed to just pretend) it cuts out a lot of the CGI requirements and that reduces costs. But do you need live rounds to get real recoil or something? Does firing real rounds cut down on the need to implant explosive caps in scenery or something? Is it better to let the actors shoot real bullets on set and film the impacts in the dirt or sidings than to try to get them to fire blanks and than edit in the explosive caps going off and hoping the actors were able to aim roughly in the right locations?

I just don’t get how an anti-gun guy blows away a member of his own staff on a set where there’s no apparent need for bullets, and he hadn’t even had the basics of firearms training, rule #1 of which is always assume a weapon is loaded.

Damn shame for everyone involved.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:05 pm 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I just don’t get how an anti-gun guy blows away a member of his own staff on a set where there’s no apparent need for bullets, and he hadn’t even had the basics of firearms training, rule #1 of which is always assume a weapon is loaded.

Damn shame for everyone involved.

Sadly I think it was only a matter of time... Below is the person in charge of firearms for the movie.   I'm not judging (well yes i am I guess) but she looks too young to have people's lives depending on her in this capacity.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FDSheckler/s ... on%5Es1_&r

I think it is starting to come out the $hit show this particular production really was.  And Mr Baldwin as its producer is the top of the food chain.   People getting injured is one thing (swept under the rug or paid off). People getting killed is quite another.  This story is not over by any means and if i were them i'd start lawyering up because I see lawsuits and possible jail in some of their futures. The woman was too young to have her life cut short like this. It should have never happened.  I will never understand the need for live guns on a set.  Todays tech is more than enough to handle the acoustic and visual artifacts of a fake gun firing.  

-SKA

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:15 am 

The lady in charge of firearms last month questioned whether she was ready and experienced enough before taking the role (or the role she held that month) it seems. I guess you all have to start your journey and take that step up from time to time maybe when you aren’t quite ready, but surely not with firearms??

And FFS, again, why are live rounds needed?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:20 am 

Agent Cooper wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:The beginning of the end.  Sad.  Was wondering when they would finally put paper and pencil RPGs on their to-do list.  The war on digital ones is well under way.  Table tops have been more or less flying under the radar, thankfully.  But no more I guess.  They've destroyed or are in the process of destroying everything else.  Comics, video games, books, sports, movies.  It was only a matter of time.

Take a respected institution.
Kill it.
Gut it.
Wear its carcass as a skin suit and demand respect.

The equality and fair pay horse****t is only a trojan horse.

I read an interview with Sarah Sarandon over the weekend, staying her son had been blown off from his script writing because they couldn’t take anymore white men on. WTF? If you’re good enough, it doesn’t matter. I’m 100% for equality, but all equality means on skill level, not tick boxes to say you’ve sufficient women, gay, non gender or numbers based on race. If the best for the job means 85% gay black women fine. If it’s 85% straight white men, fine. Just pick the best for the job based on ability, skill and effort, not ethnicity or sex

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:38 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:The lady in charge of firearms last month questioned whether she was ready and experienced enough before taking the role (or the role she held that month) it seems.

Maybe if she does 10 years for negligent manslaughter she'll learn that responsibility is something to take seriously.
You don't take on dangerous jobs that you know you're incapable of.
That would clearly be a miscarriage of justice, to my mind.

The person who should be jailed is the one who pointed the gun at someone at random, just for the hell of it, and pulled the trigger to see what would happen.
However, money talks and he already has a patsy lined up to do the time for him.
A few million to the grieving family to compensate them for their dead daughter well publicized, and some conciliatory words in the media and he'll come out of this just dandy.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:01 am 

Her comments are on this

bars

“ On a podcast posted last month, Ms. Gutierrez, who also goes by Hannah Reed and Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, said she had just finished filming her first movie as head armorer in a western called “The Old Way,” starring Clint Howard and Nicolas Cage, that is set for release next year.
“I was really nervous about it at first, and I almost didn’t take the job because I wasn’t sure if I was ready, but doing it, it went really smoothly,” Ms. Gutierrez said in the podcast, “Voices of the West,” on which the hosts discuss old western films and television shows. “

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 122 of 163123 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 161162163