Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 114 of 163123 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 161162163
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 am 

benjoshua wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:May the 4th be with you.   :alien:

Love Pickard, he’s my favourite Captain, certainly had more gravitas

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:46 pm 

So, random thoughts. Outside the con happening in Texas. Is there anything for someone from the UK (who will have to take precious leave ex-Young Children) to come that you'd travel to the states for?

Im looking for something aspirational to put in the calendar at the tail end of this awful pandemic.

Some extra info: am in the US 2-3 times a year usually for work (mainly midwest/NYC). have never spent much time on the west coast or in Texas.

Just thinking it would be great to have plans to meet other people :)

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:10 am 

There’s a few of us UK based, but not sure what happens Con wise. A meet up would be fun but possibly not as much going on

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 1:35 pm 

shadeun wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:So, random thoughts. Outside the con happening in Texas. Is there anything for someone from the UK (who will have to take precious leave ex-Young Children) to come that you'd travel to the states for?

Im looking for something aspirational to put in the calendar at the tail end of this awful pandemic.

Some extra info: am in the US 2-3 times a year usually for work (mainly midwest/NYC). have never spent much time on the west coast or in Texas.

There's also Gamehole Con in Madison, Wisconsin, October 21 to 24 this year. Alex Kammer runs one of the best organized conventions I've ever been to. More info at www.gameholecon.com.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:43 pm 

shadeun wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:So, random thoughts. Outside the con happening in Texas. Is there anything for someone from the UK (who will have to take precious leave ex-Young Children) to come that you'd travel to the states for?

Are you looking for RPG Convention related events or a more general question such as "what do you blokes in the colonies do for a good time when your not working or at home"?  :)

BTW, if you can make it to NTRPG Con it's a great time.  I have a feeling it's going to be much hotter this year compared to the past few years though.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:56 pm 

There is also GenCon (normally held late July, but this year 09/16-9/19) held in Indianapolis, IN and GaryCon, lately held at the end of March in Lake Geneva WI. So two more upper midwest cons for you to attend.

Shrink is not a condition

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:46 am 

Thanks for the thoughts all!

Kingofpain89 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Are you looking for RPG Convention related events or a more general question such as "what do you blokes in the colonies do for a good time when your not working or at home"?  :)

BTW, if you can make it to NTRPG Con it's a great time.  I have a feeling it's going to be much hotter this year compared to the past few years though.

heh, im originally from the colonies so I would never say such things!  :D But I'm looking for an RPG con as my connections in this realm have fallen off a cliff since leaving said colonies. I'd like to indulge this passion more and make it part of an exciting piece of travel!

I think Gencon or NTRPG Con (next year given travel restrictions etc) both sound good.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:51 am 

I don't think there are any notable RPG Cons in the UK anymore. They mostly died when GW went their own way, because GW was the backbone of RPGs in the UK.

There are dozens of Wargames conventions every year in the UK though, and most of those have retail stalls, RPGs in the bring and buy sections, 5E and PF games, and a whole slew of other stuff. They are also good for unusual small manufacturer minis. Here in Scotland we have Claymore each year, usually 1st weekend in August I think, in Edinburgh, and around this time a large wargames con in Falkirk (Carronade or Cannonade). There's maybe a dozen in total in Scotland alone, but those are the two bigger ones that are close enough to me to not be inconvenient.

So if you're looking for conventions down in Englandshire, maybe Google 'Wargames Conventions Diary UK' or some variation, and go see what pops up.
The UK also have a few notable writers in the OSR, and I'd expect them to be relatively active in pushing their physical products if they get the chance local to them.

All that said.... But Covid. Who knows what is and isn't happening on the ground these days. :D

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 3:41 pm 

Has anyone here seen the Bruce-Lee-written film, Circle of Iron? I've read a few descriptions on the Acaeum about 1980's Hawk the Slayer, where it's described as the first to really put together all the elements of the sword & sorcery film genre. Circle of Iron probably doesn't go so far, but comes close with its random mix of cultures in "a land that never was."

Circle of Iron also seems to have inspired much of 2019's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. No, China did not need to ban the Tarantino movie for disparaging Bruce Lee, because it is actually an endorsement of the film Lee wrote.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 8:22 pm 

I  saw it at least twice bitd.

Gaming buddy rented it first time. He was disappointed it wasn't better, something more like Deathstalker. I thought it was going to have Bruce in it, so I didn't even give it a chance lol.

Second time, I was still kind of meh about it.

The thing I think about now - it's a hard to classify movie. It was pitched to a whole bunch of different niche audiences trying to find a place for it. Never really did succeed I guess.

Definitely not a bad movie though.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun May 09, 2021 11:24 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I  saw it at least twice bitd.

Gaming buddy rented it first time. He was disappointed it wasn't better, something more like Deathstalker. I thought it was going to have Bruce in it, so I didn't even give it a chance lol.

Second time, I was still kind of meh about it.

The thing I think about now - it's a hard to classify movie. It was pitched to a whole bunch of different niche audiences trying to find a place for it. Never really did succeed I guess.

Definitely not a bad movie though.

Mr Yuk, its been awhile. Glad to see you back.

-SKA

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:49 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I don't think there are any notable RPG Cons in the UK anymore. They mostly died when GW went their own way, because GW was the backbone of RPGs in the UK.

There are dozens of Wargames conventions every year in the UK though, and most of those have retail stalls, RPGs in the bring and buy sections, 5E and PF games, and a whole slew of other stuff. They are also good for unusual small manufacturer minis. Here in Scotland we have Claymore each year, usually 1st weekend in August I think, in Edinburgh, and around this time a large wargames con in Falkirk (Carronade or Cannonade). There's maybe a dozen in total in Scotland alone, but those are the two bigger ones that are close enough to me to not be inconvenient.

So if you're looking for conventions down in Englandshire, maybe Google 'Wargames Conventions Diary UK' or some variation, and go see what pops up.
The UK also have a few notable writers in the OSR, and I'd expect them to be relatively active in pushing their physical products if they get the chance local to them.

All that said.... But Covid. Who knows what is and isn't happening on the ground these days. :D

The big UK one is UK Games Expo at the NEC in Birmingham. It’s going ahead this year.
https://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:42 am 

Sardan wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
The big UK one is UK Games Expo at the NEC in Birmingham. It’s going ahead this year.
https://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/

That looks cool. Thanks!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:52 pm 

Sir Kill Alot wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
Mr Yuk, its been awhile. Glad to see you back.

-SKA

Thank you SKA. Had myself a little adventure glad to be back. Don't worry, nothing too daring, well I did bid on some stuff using White Castle's public wifi so there is that.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 20, 2021 8:26 pm 

Hey all,

I haven't been on for a very long time.

Still in Hong Kong.

I was curious as to everyones thoughts on the Magic the Gathering set coming out this summer set in the Forgotten Realms.

Some of the art looks quite nice.

Ronald

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:45 pm 

rhynne wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Hey all,

I haven't been on for a very long time.

Still in Hong Kong.

I was curious as to everyones thoughts on the Magic the Gathering set coming out this summer set in the Forgotten Realms.

Some of the art looks quite nice.

Ronald

Hey, I play a lot of MTG. Im pretty excited but its only replacing the core set so its a bit of a bummer as that makes it intrinsically less special.

I'll probably buy a box and draft it in the UK at some point. Probably not worth collecting except for fun.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 3:34 am 

shadeun wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
Hey, I play a lot of MTG. Im pretty excited but its only replacing the core set so its a bit of a bummer as that makes it intrinsically less special.

I'll probably buy a box and draft it in the UK at some point. Probably not worth collecting except for fun.

Yeah I haven't played in competition or casual since the Ixalan set back in 2017. Pirates! Vampires! and Dinosaurs oh my! :)

So I have been out for almost 4 years.

I'll pick up some of the more interesting cards mainly for the art.

The borderless Lloth by Jesper Ejsing as an example.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 7:57 am 

My pre-order included a case of set boxes, 2 collectors boxes, six bundles and four starter packs. So, you could say I am excited for it. :)

I only played for a bout a year during 4th edition and Ice age. I have a few collectables, but not many. I just think its going to be a cool set. I also think its going to get DnD in a lot of folks heads, which I think is the idea.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 114 of 163123 ... 111, 112, 113, 114, 115 ... 161162163