Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 111 of 163123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 161162163
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 pm 

I had this package delivered Friday evening by UPS; the driver and I had a good laugh.
He said he has never seen anything like this warning in 5 years of delivering packages.  
Enjoy.

I didn't recognize the reference immediately; however someone on Facebook knew who this was:

Jumpin Jeff Farmer goes Full Force and Pauses YTP - YouTube

Hello Mrs. Cleaver, Theodore.

Gee, Mrs. Cleaver ... That certainly is a lovely dress.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:02 am 

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:01 pm 

So, I bought a book on-line.  Stuffed in-between the pages was a small, folded-up piece of paper.  It's just a book about Byzantium.  I pulled it out and here's what I found:

I believe the town listed on the Birth Certificate is Bournemouth, a coastal town in southern England. I looked up Heidi Louise Louka on Facebook, and didn't find anything promising.  If I don't track her down, I'm guessing it's not that big a deal, but I welcome correction/confirmation.  Perhaps someone here has better Google-fu than me or a better detective skills than me.  I mainly thought it was a fascinating find and decided to share.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:37 pm 

From the England/Wales Birth Registrations, there's the attached record.  It indicates her mother's maiden name was Louka, which means she was born out of wedlock.  That's the only record I could find on her.  It leaves open the possibility that she changed her last name (usually to the people that raised her, if not her mother), she went by her middle name in adulthood, etc.  And of course she may have married at some point, and/or died as an infant.  It's a pretty strange place to leave a birth certificate, which perhaps lends credence to the died-at-a-young-age theory.

Foul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:23 am 

That’s a special piece of someone’s life. I live near Bournemouth and will use my GoogleFu today. It would be important to reunite the certificate with the lady or her parents if possible
Interestingly the certificate is dated 20 years after the birth date. But doesn’t say it’s a duplicate

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:09 am 

One site I’ve used, has the name registered as Meidi. I think that’s their error rather than the certificate itself

Also, if it was a duplicate cert, it would say certified copy at the top. Which raises the question why the date is 20years apart
That’s not a mistake the registrar would make surely, nor is it being misread by us I’m sure. This is a very interesting piece of history now to delve into  :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:22 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:This is a very interesting piece of history now to delve into  :)

Things I've recently found in used books:
-A typewritten sheet of lyrics to popular gospel songs (Why does the line "He's got the itty-bitty baby in his hands" sound so creepy?)
-A calendar page marked with the date & location where its owner died (a hospital that is now a college)
-An enrollment form to a night school which closed fifty years ago & became a fancy hotel (Business management is checked. Did this person go on to an illustrious &/or scandalous career in management, or was it a failed dream? Does the ghost of the student yet walk those halls in a cramming session which never ends?)

Often these are more interesting than the book.

Last edited by sauromatian on Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:16 am 

I’d love to find a note or piece of history like this in a used book and then research it

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:58 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Interestingly the certificate is dated 20 years after the birth date. But doesn’t say it’s a duplicate

Using the analytical skills which the best of the American education system has given me, I deduce that the date of 16.11.1997 indicates origin on a world with at least 16 months, & therefore an orbital period of more than 487 Earth days. There's your time discrepancy right there, solved it for you. As I expect never to find out the true answer, I look over at the old copy of Sherlock Holmes I got from a used bookstore, & ponder upon how great minds think alike. Internet sleuthing wins again!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:07 am 

Nice answer, but not sure you’re right.

Date of birth year is 1977

Date on the certificate year is 1997

Normally the date of birth and registered date are around 7-14 days apart due to actually getting into the registry office in the UK

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:11 am 

Further research has shown that the registrar was working at the office in 1996, so is likely to have written this out in 1997.

Which begs the question, maybe it is a duplicate or copy?? Which would also suggest maybe the named person didn’t die young?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:25 am 

What is the faded script on top which looks like "C R O" or something at the upper right? Could that indicate a copy? Whatever it is, it is repeated like a watermark between the name and date of birth.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:37 am 

I think that may be GRO which is general registry office

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:39 am 

The way it’s folded and the folds have split does suggest it’s the original too having checked mine, which has done the same

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:56 am 

Mine is longer than that, which made me think that one might be an abbreviated birth certificate, but again, abbreviated certificates usually say so. So maybe the birth certificate just depends on what stationary is supplied to particular registry office at the time.

Looks to have been folded in a manner and size to be carried around in a wallet or credit card slot. I’m sure the owner has long since bought a replacement, but has to be one of the more interesting things to have been found inside a book.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:19 am 

mbassoc2003 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:Mine is longer than that,.
boasting again  :lol:

Mine is too, I also have the short one like this, not sure why I have both sizes, guess my parents were being cautious in case they lost one?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 am 

ashmire13 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I think that may be GRO which is general registry office

Looking at the original, I believe you are right.  In fact, GRO is all over the certificate, like/is a watermark.

Thanks for all the help.  I'd love to reunite this with the owner, but I'm not worried about it if it doesn't happen.   8)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:32 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread: boasting again  :lol:

Mine is too, I also have the short one like this, not sure why I have both sizes, guess my parents were being cautious in case they lost one?

I think the long was was filled out by the hospital back in the day.
The short one issued when you registered the birth. But of course that means you’d have to type details of child’s name etc. Onto the hospital one later at the registry office. My long form one has the midwifes name on it as well as the hospital etc. I don’t know if I have a short one or if the short one I’ve seen is my wife’s. Of course they are all A4 100g paper now.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 111 of 163123 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112 ... 161162163