Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 109 of 163123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 161162163
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:27 am 

A part from our hobby, there are other foolish mind on earth... Look at this:

At US$150,000, this pink Vanagon is the most expensive Hot Wheels ever | Driving

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:13 am 

aia wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:A part from our hobby, there are other foolish mind on earth... Look at this:

At US$150,000, this pink Vanagon is the most expensive Hot Wheels ever | Driving

If you own a valuable & collectible miniature, it needs a vehicle like this to impress all the succubi minis.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:10 pm 

Mister Yuk wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:
If no one has the balls to get past the first book and do something on the next two, why should I even care.

Didn't the SciFi miniseries cover the first three books?

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:42 am 

I could not disagree more Mister Yuk. I think Dune is the greatest sci-fi novel and the other books in the series are mediocre, so I don't care whether they are filmed or not. The Lynch movie did some bizarre things (making the weirding way into a sound technique and the terrible ending being two of them) so I am looking forward to a faithful and competent treatment.

Shrink is not a condition

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:13 am 

stratochamp wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I could not disagree more Mister Yuk. I think Dune is the greatest sci-fi novel and the other books in the series are mediocre, so I don't care whether they are filmed or not. The Lynch movie did some bizarre things (making the weirding way into a sound technique and the terrible ending being two of them) so I am looking forward to a faithful and competent treatment.

The weirding modules were as out-of-place in the Dune universe as the Star Wars cantina would have been, since it is supposed to be a post-technological era where people don't invent much new stuff. Their square shape also resembles portable 8-track-tape players of the early 1970s. The idea of using sound is perhaps a symbol for pop culture & music, but by 1985 these types of music players had disappeared, so the symbolism is extra ridiculous. That's why I love the weirding modules. Here you've got this already great novel to adapt in the directorial opportunity of a lifetime, so the logical path is to throw a monkey wrench into it like Jodorowsky's transcendent emperor or Lynch's space-folding navigators. Yes, the other novels should be filmed. But only if done with something completely uncalled-for, like a cast of trained parrots instead of actors.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:46 pm 

stratochamp wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I could not disagree more Mister Yuk. I think Dune is the greatest sci-fi novel and the other books in the series are mediocre, so I don't care whether they are filmed or not. The Lynch movie did some bizarre things (making the weirding way into a sound technique and the terrible ending being two of them) so I am looking forward to a faithful and competent treatment.

I just finished reading Dune for the first time.  It's been on my "to read" list for about 35 years.  Picked it up a couple of times when I was much younger and never could get past the first few chapters.  It was very difficult to read it without picturing Kyle McLachlan as Paul or Patrick Stewart as Gurney.  I did find it a very satisfying read.  But for me the ending was very abrupt.  At first I thought that the book had some pages torn out of it.  I was going to read Dune Messiah but I was told not to worry about reading any of the others in the series as "they will bore the hell out of you".  I've had the same thought about the Ender series.  Ender's game is still one of my favorite sci-fi books but I have yet to read any others in the series.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:16 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I just finished reading Dune for the first time.  It's been on my "to read" list for about 35 years.  Picked it up a couple of times when I was much younger and never could get past the first few chapters.  It was very difficult to read it without picturing Kyle McLachlan as Paul or Patrick Stewart as Gurney.  I did find it a very satisfying read.  But for me the ending was very abrupt.  At first I thought that the book had some pages torn out of it.  I was going to read Dune Messiah but I was told not to worry about reading any of the others in the series as "they will bore the hell out of you".  I've had the same thought about the Ender series.  Ender's game is still one of my favorite sci-fi books but I have yet to read any others in the series.

Ex-Ante I WAS on the same page as you, thinking i wouldnt bother with more - but i went on to read more of both. Have read 3 of the ender novels (I think speaker for the dead was not 'better than Enders Game' as some fanatics would say) - and I wouldn't read any of them except Enders Game again. With Dune, read on if you need closure but the other books are weaker and I have never gone back to them in the 15 years since i first read them. So..... I'd find something else to read vs reading beyond Dune tbh. Just my 2 cents  :D

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:58 am 

I also read Dune years ago and decided to stop there based on numerous recommendations that further reading was boring.  

I am looking forward to the new movie, although it's rare that any movie tops a good book.  However, I think many people would be happy if the new Dune movie just tops the last one, a much lower bar.   :?

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:17 am 

Dune is a book that's been on my 'to read' list for decades.
I only get through a couple of books a year hardcopy, so I bit the bullet last week and got it on Audible.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:26 pm 

If you liked Dune but are not interested in reading further in the series, but want some more Herbert world-building, you might check out Herbert’s Destinaion: Void/Pandora series or the SF spy stories of Jorge X. McKee.

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:42 pm 

I thought the Dune Encyclopedia was better than the sequels. The Dune Encyclopedia - Wikipedia Of all the sequels, God Emperor of Dune was the best.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:09 pm 

sauromatian wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I thought the Dune Encyclopedia was better than the sequels. The Dune Encyclopedia - Wikipedia Of all the sequels, God Emperor of Dune was the best.

Agreed, on both counts!

Allan.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:15 am 

I have never been so glad for an election to be over in my life.  I received enough political mail to wallpaper my living room.  I had four people knock on my door asking me to vote in the last two weeks.  My phone rang a lot, but I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize.  I can go back to hating drug commercials that tell me how I might get intestinal cramps, diarrhea, memory loss, severe pains, death, or a painful, permanent erection.   8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:47 am 

benjoshua wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I have never been so glad for an election to be over in my life.  I received enough political mail to wallpaper my living room.  I had four people knock on my door asking me to vote in the last two weeks.  My phone rang a lot, but I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize.  I can go back to hating drug commercials that tell me how I might get intestinal cramps, diarrhea, memory loss, severe pains, death, or a painful, permanent erection.   8O

Ah, the things you miss when you don't have a television.

I really miss being told what I'm meant to think about things, what I want to spend my money on, what I have to do to get my neighbours' approval, and how good chemicals taste when you put them in shiny wrappers. I feel so lost without the programs.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:40 am 

benjoshua wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I have never been so glad for an election to be over in my life.  I received enough political mail to wallpaper my living room.  I had four people knock on my door asking me to vote in the last two weeks.  My phone rang a lot, but I never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize.  I can go back to hating drug commercials that tell me how I might get intestinal cramps, diarrhea, memory loss, severe pains, death, or a painful, permanent erection.   8O

News over here is saying it’s “likely a 50-50” democrat senate now with the VP holding the casting vote, but not been made official yet? Is the pond side up to date? Is the world finally free of that clown Trump?

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:13 pm 

ashmire13 wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:News over here is saying it’s “likely a 50-50” democrat senate now with the VP holding the casting vote, but not been made official yet? Is the pond side up to date? Is the world finally free of that clown Trump?

Ossoff has now been confirmed as the winner of the senate race along with Warnock.  This means that the Democrats will control the senate because the Vice President can cast a vote whenever there is a tie in the senate.  Trump is still president.  Biden will become president in two weeks.   :?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:03 am 

benjoshua wrote in Random Thoughts or OT Chit-Chat Thread:I have never been so glad for an election to be over in my life.

Yep. Totally over & done with.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:07 am 

Who here thinks Biden will make it to the 4th of July?  I wish him no ill will, but think he'll get pushed out or just quit.  I give it 18 months before we are at war with someone. it seems the best way to rally people to come together is to pick a fight. (I pray we don't ). Love or hate Trump, I give him credit for not sending our men to some godforsaken land for who knows what.  Anyways, fingers crossed for everyone to start getting along.  When did differing viewpoints get so toxic.  Thanksgiving was always great with my 90 year old racist gramps (i think he was exposed to too much agent orange with his stints in the military) who would call my one cousin a sissy for having a heavy metal hairdo.  Gosh he hated everything.  Good times.  PDT_Armataz_01_05

-SKA

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 109 of 163123 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 161162163