Post Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:30 pm 

Wednesday FrankenParty update:

garycon.com • View topic - PRE-CON PARTY & Gaming @ Frank's

Email me for a PDF (directions & tips) at: ExTSR at aol com

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 pm 

Playtest book covers for Gary Con.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:18 pm 

AAR's? Stories? +/- ?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:08 pm 

I played in the evening Greyhawk game at 330 Center.  Just about everyone went through at least 2 characters.  Some 3, and one guy worked his way through Bob, ABob, BobB, CBob and was about to start DBob when it ended.  Most ignominious death went to the poor mage who went through the left door to get away from a gelatinous cube where everyone else took the right.  The larger group dutifully spiked the door closed as Manuel the Mage wandered a twisting corridor looking for a way out.  He was greeted by another cube that had just had a Kobold snack, and ended up being sandwiched between the two cubes while trying to work his back.  The rest of the adventure we wondered if Manuel would ever come back to join us.

A short AAR from Saturday's 4 turn session of Sturmgeschutz & Sorcery. First turn some pig faced men ran from some trees and rocks and were greeted with LMG fire from the Germans.  2nd turn the Germans didn't see anything out of the ordinary and just moved by a bridge.  When crossing it, they were suddenly besieged by things from the woods.    The front half track was stopped by trolls as they slammed into it, while a giant scorpion tried to wrestle with an armored car.  The driver of the kubelwagen seized and veered the vehicle off the road as he was touched by a ghoul. The rear half track had its drivers head popped by a troll while some mummies tried to do something foul to the troop portion.  All this while a group of ogres were trying to play catch-up across the bridge.  That turn and turn 4 the Germans made a nice dent in the group with machine gun fire, a flame thrower and several grenades but they were not quite away yet.  That wizard showed up and melted the tires off of everything in the front row with a fireball and we unfortunately had to stop it there due to time.

Also, Braunstein was awesome and had a lot more modern feel (particularly with story games) than I was expecting it to have.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:26 pm 

GaryCon was once again an awesome time. It was nice being a vendor since we met a lot of great people. We only got to be in 2 games, Bill Barsh's Palace of the Vampire Queen playtest and Paul's Return to the Beginning at Gary's old house on 330 Center Street. Both games were a lot of fun. Playing in Gary's old house was the highlight of the con for us, we met Terry Kuntz and Mike Mornard while they were getting ready to play Tractics on the sand table in the basement. Paul also showed us the "Entrance Wargames Room written on the door in the basement. Cindy Gygax showed up with her family while we were playing and said she hadn't been in the house since she was 11. Another great event was going to the TSR artists seminar with Jeff Easley, Larry Elmore, Clyde Caldwell, Diesel, and Jeff Butler. They told many funny stories, the best was when Parkinson was running an adventure with many of the TSR artists and Jeff cast a fireball in a very small room killing everyone(except Larry and Diesel's characters who were in a tunnel under the room) including himself.

-Shawn

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:10 am 

I posted pictures to FB @ https://www.facebook.com/grodog/media_s ... 831&type=1 and will work up a con report this weekend!

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:23 pm 

Hey All,

I have a larger report with pictures but have not quite finished it yet. However, there is this tale:

Jon Peterson rolled up what must be the most hopeless character I have ever seen and immediately started planning the imminent suicide of his hapless magic-user named Lyrax. However, a funny thing happened on the way to Lyrax's ignonimus end - he became a hero. As the party was surrounded by armored fighting men a massive ogre shook the room as he bellowed into battle. Not one of the other characters landed a blow as the ogre leveled devastating swings of his tree-bough club. Then it came down to the utterly hopeless Lyrax who made his foolhardy entrance into melee with the towering beast. His first blow pierced the ogre's thigh through its elephant-thick hide. The beast howled, leveling all of his fury against the diminutive elf, the bough sent shockwaves through the foundation of Greyhawk Castle. Again Lyrax struck home with his keen poniard, burying it to the hilt in the meaty portion of the ogre's thigh. Again the the ogre missed and his mighty blow sent thunder through the stones. As he leaned into the swing Lyrax struck at the exposed neck of the behemoth and felled it like kine beneath the poleaxe. The giant plowed into the floor and cheers erupted from the jubilant victors. Lyrax had made the hero's journey from nothing to legend in a single delve beneath the ruined piles of Greyhawk Castle.

Jon's choice of names immediately brought to mind Dr. Seuss's Lorax but other than a few words, none of us had the rhyme. With some whimsy and time to reflect, I came up with this homage:

"Mister!", he said with a real low-Con sneeze,
"I am elf Lyrax, I speak for hopeless PCs.
I speak for poor PCs, for the PCs have no tongues,
And I'm asking you, sir, at the top of my lungs" --
He was very upset as he shouted and yelled --
"What's that PC you've tossed for the bad dice you rolled?"
I am elf Lyrax! I speak for hopeless PCs,
Which you seem to be dropping as fast as you please.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
hopless PCs won't be heroes. They'll not.

Catch! calls the DM.
He lets something fall.
It's a 3 x 5 index card.
It's the last one of all!
You're in charge of the last of the PC index cards.
And PC index cards are what everyone needs.
Start a new PC index card. Treat it with care.
Buy some holy water. And rope packed with care.
Buy some rations. Include some hand axes that hack.
Then elf Lyrax
and adventurers
may come back.

Now all that was left 'neath the sad-telling sky
was some big empty ruins...
Elf Lyrax...
and I.
Elf Lyrax said nothing
just gave me a glance.
Just gave me a very sad, sad backward glance.
He lifted himself by the seat of his pants
and I'll never forget the grim look on his face
as he hoisted himself and took leave of this place
through a hole in the fog without leaving a trace
and all that elf Lyrax left here in the ruins was a small pile of rocks with one word.
UNLESS

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:02 am 

Lyrax rolled well, because that's how he rolls. His 14 Charisma had nothing to do with it.

Kudos to Paul for immortalizing his exploits via Seussian song.

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 am 

Gary Con VI was lots of fun.
Degassy31 stopped by my house on Wednesday and I got to show him my collection. We then drove up to Lake Geneva, where I met up with Bracton and Blackmoor and we carpooled over to ExTSR's house for his Frankenparty. A good time was had by all, including dinner prepared by Frank's lovely wife Debbie. if Frank is kind enough to repeat his party, we will have real poker chips at our disposal and play for dollars instead of Quatloos. Thursday afternoon Bracton & I played in the GaryCon open, which was a lot of fun. We finished our objective with 45 minutes to spare, but as we lost 2 characters (to a poison that kills in d3 rounds!) we did not advance. Thursday evening Bracton & I played in Castle of Doom, by Frank Mentzer. It was one of his classic Rod of 7 Parts adventures, and we had a great time. We played from 6 pm until past 11 pm and got to the last encounter (alas we did not prevent the lead baddie from fleeing). As no one else wanted him, i was going to play the mage, but a late walk-up decided he wanted to, so I played a Cleric/Ranger (I played a Cleric/Ranger for 3 years in Frank's campaign, so it was like slipping on Elfin Chain). I'm not going to mention any details, in case Frank runs it again, and you should all spend 2 Gold Pieces and play with him.

Friday Bracton and I played in an Astonishing Swordsmen/Hyperboria game harkening back to A4. A cursed scroll whisked our pc's away to the pit of despair, and we had to spend the next 3.5 hours getting out. It was DMed by Morgan Hazel and it was very well done. One character found an old cloak, he put it on, failed a save, and couldn't remove it (it didn't harm him until the last room as we tried to leave the complex, but we knew it was inevitable). While rummaging threw some old cells, we found a ring (swallowed long ago by a prisoner and hence unnoticed at the time). Bracton did not want to put it on, but I eagerly volunteered, figuring I'm in the blackest pit in the world, how could it get any worse? Well it took my AC from 9 to 2, and gave me +2 saves, so I tried to take point thereafter. And Bracton wanted the ring back (Now if he actually reads this I'll be curious to see how he tells the tale...). We did crawl out at the very end, and felt real accomplishment.

Saturday afternoon Bracton and I went over to 330 Center St. to play at Gary's old house. Paul Stormberg did an amazing job cleaning up/setting up the basement to make it look circa 1973. Terry Kuntz was there when we arrived and I told Terry how buying his Brown Box at a winter fantasy con back in 1980 started me on my collecting path. After a tour of the house we started playing. Jon Petersen and I both decided on Mages. I called mine Morden as an homage to Gary and to Babylon 5, but he came to be called "Pyro". Here I thought I would at least get off a sleep spell before being killed, but Paul told us the spell selection would be random. After being told my 1 spell was Read Magic I grumbled in my character sheet briefly and reminded myself I had a 16 dex and decided to reinvent myself as a napalm delivery system mage from the rear ranks. We went up to the ruins, and sure enough there was an opportunity to use my one spell, which resulted in a +1 one-time boon to all of the party members. In the dungeon we eventually discovered some goblins and after I got a hit on one for 2d6 fire, with some collateral d6 damage to another, well several party members wanted to be chucking greek fire at the Gobbos and some men in Chain. But when the Ogre came out, (and I kept missing with my flame grenades on him) Jon Petersen's Mage with the 4 ST and 6 INT (if IIRC) charged in and did all but 1 point of damage in killing the Ogre. I think he rolled 16 or above on about 5 out of 7 rolls. It was awesome and we all cheered. While this was all happening, different people kept dropping by, getting tours of the house (including Grodog, who posted 3 pictures of our game, and Tacojohn) and then Gail Gygax stopped by and nearly fainted. It was more than a little surreal, but Paul, who was having to keep all of these plates in the air at once, over the whole weekend, did a great job of DMing under trying conditions.

I did not win anything at the auction (no real old RPG content) but Bracton won the GaryCon coin #1 (with GC 5 on one side and GC 6 on the other). During the course of the con I was able to have some nice long talks with old friends (Blackmoor and increment) and new (Melnibonean, who also stopped by my house on Sunday afternoon on his way to the airport. I think he enjoyed the tour...). Jayson Elliot, the editor-in-chief of Gygax Magazine also stopped by Sunday night for a tour. Blackmoor was spending the night here (as he had an early flight out the next morning) and we talked gaming into Monday morning making it a 5 day convention for me. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the Burntwire Brothers allowed me to sell a box of my extras at their booth (thanks guys!). Bill Barsh also did me a very nice favor, because he's a great guy, and Nogrod (who brought his lovely wife Jennifer to the con) is going to be both visiting in a month AND doing me a favor. Several other acaeumites were at the con as well, but as I have name dropped enough, I will stop here. NTRPG Con is next up!

Shrink is not a condition

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:45 am 

If you didn't notice from Stratochamp's post, gaming is only half the deal.  Schmoozing with pals is the other half, and maybe even more fun.  It's why I really enjoy these little get-togethers.  Looking forward to NTRPG con in a couple months and more stories to share with everyone!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Active Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:34 pm 

Dangit, I should have checked here before the Con. I'm mostly a lurker here who spent time helping with the Wiki when it started. GCVI was an amazing time! A truly great group of people.

Furiously Eclectic People
The first taste is free!  Then it's just fun!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:17 pm 

Around GaryCon this year, I took some pictures and shot some video to try to preserve a sense of what it was like visiting Gary's house and gaming there. I patched it together to show on a panel I did at PAX East a week or two after GaryCon. Ethan Gilsdorf, who organized that panel, asked if he could write something up about the video. And so...

A visit to the basement where Dungeons & Dragons was born - Boing Boing

You may catch glimpses within of various denizens of this forum and other known evildoers. stratochamp with bubblegum, Paul as a DM, certain old timers lurking in the basement.

Author of Playing at the World, The Elusive Shift, Game Wizards co-author of D&D Art & Arcana and Heroes's Feast

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:30 pm 

Thanks for preparing the video and posting it, Jon.  It was quite an experience visiting 330 Center Street, and playing in Gary's old house.  (That's me at the end of the video, to Stratochamp's right.)  And remember, in OD&D, a wizard without any spells can still be the most powerful member of the party!   :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:13 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote in GaryCon 2014:Hey Zenopus,

Yes, that's the one! I didn't have a copy of the Origins II program, nice job Kynan on Tome of Treasures and I didn't think to check the General, that picture is brilliant, nice work! Now I understand why the key refers to color coding and the map. The small map I have doesn't have color coding. The big blown up map was probably colored-in for easier visuals.

Observers must have had the introduction, key, and small map to follow along while novice players "carefully selected" by Gary play in the live event.

It looks like there are multiple maps up on the board in the picture or is it one huge map turned on edge? They are certainly in the same style of the map I have.

So July of 1976 its is and standing room only - how many copies is that?

Paul, question about the 'small map'. How similar is it to Gary's 'Level 1' map from his con game for the EnWorld moderators in 2007?

As I posted over on DF, Jon Peterson played in one of your games at Gary Con, and he made his player's map public as part of this article.
Here is the image, rotated and cropped to the map:

Interestingly, this matches almost exactly with a portion of the 'dungeon level 1' photo from the Enworld con game.
I took an annotated version of that map (by Benoist) from the Knights & Knaves thread and added more annotations showing where Jon's map lines up:

The red rooms are locations from the Enworld game. The black lines represent the map made by Jon, shown above.
So at least a portion of the map from your game is strikingly similar to a portion of the map run by Gary for the EnWorld game.

This makes me curious as to how similar the two are overall, particular since your map is from the '70s and Gary's was using this one in 2007, suggesting a long usage of that map.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:05 pm 

Details now available for FrankenParty II (25 March 2015).

Will send detailed PDF instructions when you sign up. :)
And/or just email a request. ExxTSR [at] google mail

garycon.com • View topic - FrankParty II

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:07 pm 

I know this is more appropriate for the classifieds but if anyone is interested in the TSR Store Display that I have up for sale:

FS TSR Store Display, stuff in shrink, etc

and is going to GaryCon, I have a friend who can deliver it there.  Because of the size of this thing, the shipping is expensive so this would be a fair bit in savings.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:44 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote in GaryCon 2014:Hey All,
I have a larger report with pictures but have not quite finished it yet.

Paul, did you ever finish and/or post your Gary Con VI report/picture anywhere?

Z

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:18 am 

oops

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Previous