GaryCon 2014
Author

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:12 pm 

I can't see any definite areas of similarity between what is shown in Jon's scan, and either the Castle Zagyg Store Rooms map or the photo of Gary's Level 1 from his Greyhawk binder (left photo in linked post). Each of those is purported to have been the level 1 of the dungeon at different times, although the history is obscure. The entire Knights and Knaves "Gygax Greyhawk Castle Map" thread is a good reference for discussion of those maps.

In general, those maps seem much smaller, a single sheet of graph paper (~38 x 51 squares for the one in Gary's binder), than the map shown on the poster. The poster behind Gary looks like it might have six different panels - to me they don't look like they are completely flat on the board. The right most panels look like they each have ~12 squares across, and ~42 vertically. A large portion of the poster map is obscured by Gygax himself, so it is possible that one of the other maps is a portion of the poster.

Zenopus Archives website & blog: Exploring the Underworld of Holmes Basic D&D. Holmes Ref: Reference Sheets for Holmes Basic Referees, also compatible with OD&D plus the Greyhawk supplement

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:06 am 

I am finally planning on attending my first convention at GaryCon this year. Look forward to meeting as many Acaeum members as possible. Any advice appreciated. Matthew

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:20 am 

stratochamp wrote in GaryCon 2014:if I didn't know that was a gaming convention, I'd have thought it was a Muttonchop & Van Dyke convention.

Actually in the reverse negative, Gary looks a bit like Sammy Hagar...   :D

RPG’s, D&D in particular has had a major influence in my life. It’s bonded me together with life long friends...it’s that bond in life not just as friends, but in our jokes, our mannerisms, and what we find funny. Invincible Overlord

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am 

Degassy31 wrote in GaryCon 2014:I am finally planning on attending my first convention at GaryCon this year. Look forward to meeting as many Acaeum members as possible. Any advice appreciated. Matthew

You will have a great time! GaryCon is just big enough to have a huge range of game choices while not being so big you feel lost in the crowd. I will be there and easiest to find at the Lesser Gnome booth in the vendor room which is open Friday-Sunday.

If you like GaryCon I urge you to consider trying North Texas as well. Acaeum members abound at that one :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:13 pm 

Degassy31 wrote in GaryCon 2014:I am finally planning on attending my first convention at GaryCon this year. Look forward to meeting as many Acaeum members as possible. Any advice appreciated. Matthew

It'll be great to finally meet you, Matthew, six years late :)

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 pm 

GaryCon to us is about gaming and seeing friends we only see once or twice a year. The convention itself is mainly gaming, with a small vending area with small press publishers. DieCastGames will be there with 2 tables of out-of-print items, Lesser Gnome, Black Blade and Eldritch Enterprises are just a few of the other vendors. There will probably be 15-20 Acaeum memebers. We always have fun.

-Shawn

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:27 pm 

Wow, GaryCon registration went crazy. Devon was able to get in Stormberg's Thursday night Greyhawk game and I got in the Friday night game. Glad we were able to get in but it would have been much better if we could have gotten the same game.

Available now from Die Cast Games: Night of the Black Swords by Allen Hammack (Author of C2-The Ghost Tower of Inverness) with artwork by Jeff Easley and Diesel.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 pm 

Event registration was crazy - my browser crashed a dozen times.   I feel lucky that I was able to get into Paul's "The Lost Crypts of the Fire Opal" game on Thursday morning (8am - featuring a never played module by Gary).  I'm also looking forward to playing Re-Amon's Tomb - Part II  - which is a continuation of a module I played last year - where I had the good fortune to meet Stratochamp, Bracton and Invincible Overlord.

Unfortunately I was not successful in securing a spot on Allen's Bottle City event.  (Allen - your events are just too popular!)

Look forward to seeing you all there!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:20 pm 

I am in this year, just confirmed my flights!!  See you all there :)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:28 pm 

My browser froze, and I didn't realize others were getting in, until I logged out and back in . . . so I didn't get a couple of the events that were on the top of my list.  Among others, I missed out on Paul's games at 330 Center Street, as well as one run by Stephen Pokorney (of Dwarven Forge).   :(

That being said, I am signed up for ten events.   8O  So it's not like I didn't get into anything.

Very much looking forward to Re Amon's Tomb with Liverpuncher and stratochamp.  I don't know how we'll top killing a gorgon by dropping a sarcophagus lid on it, however.   :lol:

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:12 pm 

since the death by sarcophagus lid story is being mentioned, i should mention we were on the dungeon level above the gorgon. there was a 10' by 10' foot pit in front of us that led down 30' to the level the gorgon was on. We baited him over to the opening by dumping a dozen dead Egyptians that we had killed a couple of rooms back (we ran back, filled our bag of holding with their corpses, and dumped them down the shaft).  Then it was death from above as we dropped the the sarcophagus lid on top of the gorgon as he was sniffing amongst the corpses.

Shrink is not a condition

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:08 pm 

Nice! I love a good convention story.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:40 pm 

Liverpuncher wrote in GaryCon 2014:Unfortunately I was not successful in securing a spot on Allen's Bottle City event.  (Allen - your events are just too popular!)

If I have time, I'll likely run a pickup game in Bottle City or one of my own Castle Greyhawk levels, Nick.  I'm not sure yet how feasible that will be, but we'll see.  (And I'll definitely run some pickup games of Aliens).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:41 pm 

stratochamp wrote in GaryCon 2014:since the death by sarcophagus lid story is being mentioned, i should mention we were on the dungeon level above the gorgon. there was a 10' by 10' foot pit in front of us that led down 30' to the level the gorgon was on. We baited him over to the opening by dumping a dozen dead Egyptians that we had killed a couple of rooms back (we ran back, filled our bag of holding with their corpses, and dumped them down the shaft).  Then it was death from above as we dropped the the sarcophagus lid on top of the gorgon as he was sniffing amongst the corpses.

Award:  Most Innovative Way to Kill a Gorgon.  Ever.  

:D

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:14 pm 

Party at my place, Wed 26th.

Details on the GaryCon boards:

garycon.com • View topic - PRE-CON PARTY & Gaming @ Frank's

My friends Dave & Gary made a quantum leap in the human soul. Remember them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:21 pm 

I'd love to Frank, but assume Jon and I will miss most of your gaming, as we're not likely to arrive in Lake Geneva until sometime between 6pm and 10pm, depending on when we get out the door (and the weather, etc.).  If things work out to arrive earlier, we'll definitely get in touch (I think I still have your phone #, will have to look).

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:50 pm 

ExTSR wrote in GaryCon 2014:Party at my place, Wed 26th.

Details on the GaryCon boards:

garycon.com • View topic - PRE-CON PARTY & Gaming @ Frank's

Dang...I will not be in Lake Geneva until sometime Friday morning. I KNOW I am missing a great event!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:28 pm 

For those looking for a game Friday or Saturday night:

Friday Night 7 p.m. ish: A3 War of the Slave Lords Playtest. Last year I ran the A1 playtest, and ran the A2 playtest at the North Texas RPG Con. A3 is the final module in my slaver sequel series. Like last year, each participant receives a playtest copy. These are numbered. Your name will be in the credits of the module.
Pre-gens provided. Will try and hold it in the restaurant area like last year - worked well.

Saturday night 7:30 p.m. ish (after auction): Palace of the Vampire Queen: Crypts of the Living (playtest). Level one of the venerable PotVQ revised, expanded and loaded with TPK opportunities. Second level Pre-gens provided. Yes, you read that right; second level characters. Each participant receives a numbered, pre-production copy of the adventure. Your name will be in the credits of the module. I will grab a table in the restaurant.  

Looking for 6-8 players for each. Shoot me an email to get on the list. I will put a blind email group together if I get enough people and send some updates as the convention approaches.
You can also come visit me at the Pacesetter booth just to confirm you will be attending.

[email protected]

PreviousNext