Jade Hare (or the "coveted cover")
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:06 am 

As I am sure everyone has noticed, Maxwell has a Jade Hare cover up for auction.  

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem& ... RK:MESE:IT

Okay, he has the ENTIRE Jade Hare, but it's only the cover that matters right?  All of you serious bidders probably already have your coverless Jade Hare and even if you didn't, you can pick one up for relatively cheap.

This item seems somewhat unique in that respect -- it certainly must be the most valuable "partial" out there.  All of the value is tied into the "cover".  Let's guess that this sells for $1,000 -- if it is worth that much, then the cover is worth what?  900?  If the cover alone were up for auction, I would imagine that it would go for nearly that.

And now this "big gun" has its own thread as well.  

Ready!  

Set!!!

Snipe!!!!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:04 am 

Wonder why there's no description of condition.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:34 am 

I've never understood why this one is considered so valuable, cover or not.  

It's from that early 1990s D&D era where a lot of glossy experimental crap came out.  "Top Ballista" comes to mind, and there were many others.  I remember boxes of this stuff sitting on the shelves in gaming stores rotting for at least half a decade, and many getting dumped in the trash when shelf space became needed.  I wouldn't be too surprised if that's what happened to many copies of Jade Hare as well.

Why is this module considered in the same category as a DayStar West, or a Holy Trinity piece, or a pre-pub R series?  It's available as a pdf, and it's more valuable than a Fazzle?   :roll:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:35 am 

and only 8 pages LOL

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:44 am 

Hey now, page count has nothing to do with it:  G1 and G2 were eight pages, and G3 was only 16....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:00 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I've never understood why this one is considered so valuable, cover or not.  

It's from that early 1990s D&D era where a lot of glossy experimental crap came out.  "Top Ballista" comes to mind, and there were many others.  I remember boxes of this stuff sitting on the shelves in gaming stores rotting for at least half a decade, and many getting dumped in the trash when shelf space became needed.  I wouldn't be too surprised if that's what happened to many copies of Jade Hare as well.

Why is this module considered in the same category as a DayStar West, or a Holy Trinity piece, or a pre-pub R series?  It's available as a pdf, and it's more valuable than a Fazzle?   :roll:

Well said. It holds no interest for me. Actually, most of the ultra-rares don't do much for me — I suppose, in the long run, that fact might save my wallet.  :D Of course, I just spent actual U.S. dollars on a D&D binder, so maybe my opinion shouldn't count ... :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:22 pm 

It will go for at least $1,000 I imagine.  And then the winner will recoup $100 by selling his coverless version.  
Covers are hard to counterfeit, which is one reason why this item will go so high in addition to how rarely they come up for auction.  The condition of his cover looks pretty good in the pics as well.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:28 pm 

It goes for a lot because it is rare. I agree, however, that it is a piece of shit. I was never hugely interested in picking up a covered version.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:47 pm 

The cover to me adds a sense of authenticity. The coverless version just seems like something I could print up at the local copy store. It is definitely not for everyone but the completest in me likes the covered version. I just seems more like a "real module".

I think it is also nice for the hobby to have a few Easter eggs like the covered Jade Hare, which you just might find in a used bookstore. Makes the search more fun.

Anyone know more of the history as to why only a few covers versions were created?

Cheers,
Curt

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:38 pm 

Don't know. At a guess, since it was a freebie, perhaps they came up with a covered version and ran off some copies, then decided it would be cheaper to ship them out w/o covers and had the rest printed.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:48 pm 

Curses outbid already, Prepare for a bitter fight to the end :twisted:

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:26 pm 

This is one of those rares that I want to get...sometime...

I will not settle for a coverless one, though. Just seems like it is not complete without the cover and it would bug me forever.

The only thing that bothers me is that it is not really that old of a product, when you compare it to the other rares. So the skeptic in me thinks there just might be a boatload of them sitting somewhere...

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:46 am 

A boatload of coverless ones you mean. :)

I agree with Deadlord in that the covers disappeared for cost effectiveness since this was a cheapy mail-in special and wasnt really meant to be anything great in terms of game play (sort of like Dark & Hidden Ways/Wild Things).

bbarsh wrote:This is one of those rares that I want to get...sometime...

I will not settle for a coverless one, though. Just seems like it is not complete without the cover and it would bug me forever.

The only thing that bothers me is that it is not really that old of a product, when you compare it to the other rares. So the skeptic in me thinks there just might be a boatload of them sitting somewhere...

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:51 pm 

Hate to knock something someone's selling, but yeah, I don't get it at all either.

I'll buy the pdf one of these days and give it a good high-quality printing.

The extra $995 for the staples and heavier stock cover ain't worth it.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 4:27 am 

Well, the reserve has been met - $1,000 already.

Hey a2jeff - I saw that you registered about a week ago. . . you should introduce yourself.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 7:00 am 

Nice questions about this auction  :lol:   Did everyone read what someone named "Deadlord36" said to him.

Now that's funny.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 am 

Did I say that? Can't remember. Well, if I didn't, I'll say it now to cover my bases.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 8:32 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Don't know. At a guess, since it was a freebie, perhaps they came up with a covered version and ran off some copies, then decided it would be cheaper to ship them out w/o covers and had the rest printed.

I would agree with this theory, but the problem is that there are just too damn few covered versions. TSR would have printed an initial run for distribution with covers. I do not know what that run would have been, but certainly more than what we have seen. I am guessing at least 500 up to about a 1000. Or more likely, the entire run. So where the hell are they?

They may have run out and had to print a bunch without covers to save money, as Frank suggests. I could agree with that.

I think there is a second possibility. I think they had the covers for all the modules but they either were lost or damaged. Instead of having the printer assemble the modules - because I do not believe they were shrinked - it would have been more expedient and cheaper. Or the lackey that was in charge of mailing them out simply either forgot or didn't know the covers existed at all.

I can see it now. Some 15 year-old kid gets the job with no instruction but to "mail those" to this list of people.

That is my 2 cents on the subject.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Next