Pre-production mock covers and other tid bits...
Author

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:34 am 

Well going through my stuff has turned up a couple of things that I need to scan and send you guys.... here is a list of "stuff"...there is lots of other pre-production of the 2nd edition, but here is a list of the stuff that is noted on acaeum..  from the 1991 TSR catalog (almost everything in is a pre-prod mock up)  Pre prod scan of LC4, FR12 (this is labled in the mock as HC1), FR13  from 1988 TSR catalog(almost everything in is a pre-prod mock up)  The art of Dungeons and Dragons Fantasy Game Book II (a follow up to the first looks like never printed, has same sort of art work as the AD&D art book may have been renamed?)  Pre-Prod scans of GAZ5-GAZ10 (although no # are noted on them) gaz 9 and 10 are the same that are already noted however they are in colour and I believe weill scan a lot better, World of Greyhawk Hardcover, OP1, FRC1, FRC2, I14, REF5, FR3 FR4, FR5, FR6, City System, OA5, Kara-Tur boxed set, DL15, DL16, WG7 (There is so much here I'll just scan complete pages...)  (also on a side note... Grewhawk Adventures #7 by Rose Estes, "Dragon in Amber", book, never released?, a linked book from her other 3 books)  an old 1986 tsr calalog printed by Jedco games but copyrighted by TSR UK ltd (it has BX1 list #1012)  a "stick" drawing of a variend Immortals Boxed set cover (also has the other 4 but they are all the same as the origionals...) also has X11 Blackheart product # 9161 (first time seen this, no other product has been given tis # as far as I know...)   and finanally after looking through all my Imagines, finally found what I remembered reading years ago. On page 54 of issue 25 it goes on talking about the product codes given to modules... S-Special A-Advanced ("This series was written by four different authors, was about slavers,was set in a variety of lacations and was published in such a way that we got A3 before A2") C- Competition (" C1 was intended to be the first in a series of Competition modules") T-Towers  U and UK- denote modules written in the UK ("Mind you, the origional idea was that these should be called F (for Foreign, Just to make sure we felt wanted).") N-Novice L-Low I-Intermediate H-High EX-Extra CB- Conan the Barbarian DL- Dragon Lance WG- World of Greyhawk ("... but to make things more interesting, the first module in the WG series was WG4. It then transpired that S1 should really have been WG1, S3 should have been WG2 and S4 should have been WG3"  B-Basic X-eXpert CM- CoMpanion (" At the time K was chosen for Kompanion but fortunately that idea never caught on...") M- Magic Marker MV- Magic Viewer O- One-on-One XL- eXpert Licenced   Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:46 pm 

Fascinating!  I can't wait to get any scans you can roust up.  Scott

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 3:27 pm 

I have a Dungeon Hobby Shop catalog from june 1981. Under New Releases it lists module L1 with this title " The Restenford Mystery ". No pre-pub picture but I thought you may find that interesting.   I also have a catalog from the mail order hobby shop which lists B4's title as The Lost City Of Cynidecia. Again no pre-pub pics though. It also lists DQ1 as The Enchanted Wood.  I am sure there are more items like these in the catalogs. If anyones interested I can research a little further.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 4:05 pm 

Great stuff guys!! Very interesting. I have some newer catalogs (1984+ I think) and I know that many of those have module covers that were preproduction. When I dig through any I will have to scan them and put them here.   Scott, do you want people to email them to you?   Also a person who can help with this is Adam_Schultz. He collects catalogs and has lots of them from the 70s-80s

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:24 pm 

Hey Brett---  Posting a scan of the module codes would be nice for Acaeum reference; was that mentioned in an EGG interview or something else?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:05 am 

grodog wrote:Hey Brett---  Posting a scan of the module codes would be nice for Acaeum reference; was that mentioned in an EGG interview or something else?
 No it was just an article, just talked about codes and how a bit confusing it was... from the UK point of view as well, due to it prinked in Imagine...  Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:05 am 

Yep, e-mail them to me the usual way at [email protected].

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:48 pm 

ok scans are comming I haven't forgotten em...  Also some other stuff...  this may be a little off topic...  I have a "TSR Spotlight" newsletter that was mailed to me on 05/1990, so it just falls outside the acaeum, but this is a bit like the "sages Newsletter" that was sent out from forgotten realms boxed set, Its a 6 page preview of things to come, however it reprints "welcome to the ISA" from poly #42 and "Towards Raven Bluff" reprinted from poly #34.. just though I'd add this as it does have some content and not adds...  Also does anyone have any Shadow World Items, I need to compare what I have with whats out there, most of the items seem to have 4 pages of printed maps in the middle, however some of mine don't, I'm wondering if I have ones I got incomplete or they just don't come with any?? any help would be graetful...  Here are the items so far, I think. Name, Product #, Year made, Comment  Cyclops Vale,6009,1989,does this have sever maps in the center of the book?? Islands of the Oracle,6011,1989,does this have sever maps in the center of the book??         Journey to the Magic Isle,6002,1989,does this have sever maps in the center of the book?? Orgillion Horror, The,6006,1989,does this have sever maps in the center of the book?? Tales of the Loremasters, 6004,1989,does this have sever maps in the center of the book?? Tales of the Loremasters II,6008,1989,does this have sever maps in the center of the book??  Thanks  Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:31 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:I have a "TSR Spotlight" newsletter that was mailed to me on 05/1990, so it just falls outside the acaeum, but this is a bit like the "sages Newsletter" that was sent out from forgotten realms boxed set, Its a 6 page preview of things to come, however it reprints "welcome to the ISA" from poly #42 and "Towards Raven Bluff" reprinted from poly #34.. just though I'd add this as it does have some content and not adds...
 We've got a page on it here: Page Not Found  It's not on the Periodicals index because there was only a single issue.  Splitting hairs, I know.  Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:07 pm 

FoulFoot wrote: We've got a page on it here: Page Not Found  It's not on the Periodicals index because there was only a single issue.  Splitting hairs, I know.  Foul
 Ah good... Also how you got it, I belive that all (well current at the time maybe?) customers of The Mail Order Hobby Shop got one, the the address sticker on mine has my customer number on it, I do not belive that I signed up for it, its more of a catalog than anything else I believe..  Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 11:39 pm 

Brette, here is a guess but perhaps you spend X number of dollars  on the Mail Order Hobby Shop and then they send you a Tsr Spotlight???  I'll ask some of my friends and see how they got theres. Item was definitely a promotion.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:20 am 

Mkman wrote:Item was definitely a promotion.
 I still don't think its a promotion item as such, I still think its a mini catalogish item...  Also some more stuff...  I can confirm the B1 German print does exist (I have one, and blackdougal has a scan on his site)  I also have a second print of B3 German (looks like the second print of B2 German, diagonal strip on top left)  The Blizzard Pass BS1 German scan  on the site looks also to be a second print, there are pictures of a first looking print (red strip at top) on the back of a couple of products like graph paper, hex paper etc, I have a second print, so can not confirm its existance...  The Norway Expert Book is printed by AEH hobby, january 1989 printing, harcover, look like it come bundles with X1 as well at the end of the book (included in it). Titled " FANTASI ROLLESPILL EKSPERTREGLER". and X1 Looks to be called " E1 FRYKTENS OY"... I hope thats right;)  Blackdougal also has (I belive) a good translation of all the Japanese stuff for the AJ series....   and as soon as I find a scanner that works I'll scan everthing :roll:   Brette:)

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:00 pm 

beasterbrook wrote: I can confirm the B1 German print does exist (I have one, and blackdougal has a scan on his site)

Nope -- the "B1" module pictured is actually B5 Horror on the Hill.  For whatever reason, our German friends shuffled the module codes a bit.  What we're looking for is In Search of the Unknown.
beasterbrook wrote: The Blizzard Pass BS1 German scan on the site looks also to be a second print, there are pictures of a first looking print (red strip at top) on the back of a couple of products like graph paper, hex paper etc, I have a second print, so can not confirm its existance...

We've recently received a scan of this one.  It'll be in the next update.  
beasterbrook wrote: I also have a second print of B3 German (looks like the second print of B2 German, diagonal strip on top left)  The Norway Expert Book is printed by AEH hobby, january 1989 printing, harcover, look like it come bundles with X1 as well at the end of the book (included in it). Titled " FANTASI ROLLESPILL EKSPERTREGLER". and X1 Looks to be called " E1 FRYKTENS OY"... I hope thats right;)

Great!  Looking forward to scans of these.  Foul

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:44 am 

beasterbrook wrote:Well going through my stuff has turned up a couple of things that I need to scan and send you guys.... an old 1986 tsr calalog printed by Jedco games but copyrighted by TSR UK ltd (it has BX1 list #1012)  a "stick" drawing of a variend Immortals Boxed set cover (also has the other 4 but they are all the same as the origionals...) also has X11 Blackheart product # 9161 (first time seen this, no other product has been given tis # as far as I know...)  

ok finally gotten around to getting a scanner/printer.. anyway here are a few scanns, some of them are rather large due to the fact that I don't know how to set resolution yet (1/2 a meg to 2 and 1/2 meg!), but at least they have some good details..

the 86 Australian TSR catalogue (you will notice that it is copyrighted TSR Uk Ltd) that is mentioned above, also a mock up of Dungoneers Survival Guide that Looks a lot like the Field Fiolo!

404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)

The Avengers of Lankmar module pre production???

404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)

89 tsr catalogue with quite a few mock covers inc Complete Fighter Manual, complete theif manualy, spelljammer, test of the samuri, hall of heros, puppets etc etc... I may have some larger ones in future uploads...

404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)

uploaded 18/6

404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)
404 Not Found (gone)

88 tsr catalog (these are big), pre production of...

404 Not Found ( art of D&D) (gone)
404 Not Found (Gaz5-7) (gone)

Uploaded 2/8

404 Not Found (gaz8-10)
404 Not Found (world of GH Hardcover)

uploaded 3/8

404 Not Found (DM design kit) (gone)
404 Not Found  (FRC1 &2) (gone)
404 Not Found (I14, OP1) (gone)

uploaded 4/8

404 Not Found (ref5)
404 Not Found (fr3,4 & H4)
404 Not Found (fr5,6 & City Sys)

uploaded5/8

http://members.dodo.net.au/~beasterbrook/tsr8811.jpg (kara-tur, OA5)
http://members.dodo.net.au/~beasterbrook/tsr8812.jpg (dl15 , 16)

Thanks

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:54 am 

Does anyone still have this scan:
mock up of Dungoneers Survival Guide that Looks a lot like the Field Folio!
404 Not Found
I'd like to see it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:30 pm 

kevin mayle wrote:Does anyone still have this scan:
mock up of Dungoneers Survival Guide that Looks a lot like the Field Folio!
404 Not Found
I'd like to see it.

Hi Kevin,

I get a 404 when trying to view the jpg.

Lance

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:37 pm 

IttyBitty wrote:
Hi Kevin,

I get a 404 when trying to view the jpg.

Lance

I know. It's a link from the previous post that no longer works. That's why I'm trying to see if anyone saved that scan from back when that link still worked.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:25 pm 

I posted that, I'll see if I can find the old file.. they were large from memory... scots has had them for a while :roll: .. the 86 catalog mintioned has a uk copyright, the cover is a very basic stick black and white one from memory, nothing to get too excited about..

Brette:)

Next